Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

SUN BELT > BIG 12

appdaze

SUN BELT > BIG 12

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:07 pm

Saw this on Twitter

Good conference recognition.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/10/26/s ... l-carolina

APPdiesel
School: Appalachian State

Re: SUN BELT > BIG 12

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:16 am

I've said it many times before...imagine every Sunbelt football program with an additional $37 million (Big12 TV payout) a year....now imagine every Big12 program if you took it away.

Money buys exposure, facilities, and coaching which attracts donors, corporate partnerships, and recruits.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:35 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:16 am
I've said it many times before...imagine every Sunbelt football program with an additional $37 million (Big12 TV payout) a year....now imagine every Big12 program if you took it away.

Money buys exposure, facilities, and coaching which attracts donors, corporate partnerships, and recruits.
To be fair, could probably say that about many schools as long as they have coaches who do a good job with recruiting. I think App, Louisiana, and Troy have stood out the most over time because they do the best job of mining for HS talent. I would have to think if you swapped our resources with what Texas Tech, WVU, Iowa State, etc have that we would do much better than they have done.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:48 am

appdaze wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:07 pm
Saw this on Twitter

Good conference recognition.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/10/26/s ... l-carolina
He speaks the truth here.

I get it, BIG12 is P5 and has tons of resources and better recruiting rankings, etc. But they have a bunch of 18-22 year old kids running around just like the SunBelt does. The BIG12 is not the BIG10 nor the SEC, clearly.

Any undefeated SunBelt team should be ranked above any BIG12 team this season, without question. And Louisiana should be ranked above anyone else in the BIG12 not Ok State.
YNWA

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:32 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:35 am
APPdiesel wrote:

To be fair, could probably say that about many schools as long as they have coaches who do a good job with recruiting. I think App, Louisiana, and Troy have stood out the most over time because they do the best job of mining for HS talent. I would have to think if you swapped our resources with what Texas Tech, WVU, Iowa State, etc have that we would do much better than they have done.
That would be a fascinating what-if. What would happen if you took the handful of "do more with less" G5 programs (App, Boise State, Louisiana, Marshall) and suddenly gave them a P5 payout for 1, 5, 10 years. Would we be able to maintain our culture or would we fall into the same traps?
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:21 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:32 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:35 am
APPdiesel wrote:

That would be a fascinating what-if. What would happen if you took the handful of "do more with less" G5 programs (App, Boise State, Louisiana, Marshall) and suddenly gave them a P5 payout for 1, 5, 10 years. Would we be able to maintain our culture or would we fall into the same traps?
It would be interesting to see a 5-10 year swap with some schools and see if it changes fortunes for anyone.

APP93

Unread post by APP93 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:09 pm

I remember reading a lot of posts last year about how it would be tough for App or any other SB team to get serious consideration for the NY6 until the overall conference got better...well the future is now.

This is by far the toughest 5 game stretch App has seen since joining the SB and if they are to win the conference this year it will be well earned...should be fun.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:29 pm

APP93 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:09 pm
I remember reading a lot of posts last year about how it would be tough for App or any other SB team to get serious consideration for the NY6 until the overall conference got better...well the future is now.

This is by far the toughest 5 game stretch App has seen since joining the SB and if they are to win the conference this year it will be well earned...should be fun.
A G5 team is guaranteed a slot in a NY6 Bowl so the comments were about the SBC's chances. Agree with you that our league is in best shape ever but still no shot without a lot of help. Cincy, BYU, and Marshall all have the advantage and here is the schedule left for them to play.

Marshall will always be ahead of us as long as they keep winning so we need them to take a loss. They don't have any tough games with their best opponent left being Charlotte.

BYU has faced the toughest part of their schedule with only UNA and SDSU remaining.

Cincy has also faced toughest part of their schedule but has solid games with Tulsa and UCF on schedule.

We have the toughest part of our schedule left so that helps us but odds are that Marshall and BYU win out and Cincy should be able to as well.

APP93

Unread post by APP93 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:00 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:29 pm
APP93 wrote:

A G5 team is guaranteed a slot in a NY6 Bowl so the comments were about the SBC's chances. Agree with you that our league is in best shape ever but still no shot without a lot of help. Cincy, BYU, and Marshall all have the advantage and here is the schedule left for them to play.

Marshall will always be ahead of us as long as they keep winning so we need them to take a loss. They don't have any tough games with their best opponent left being Charlotte.

BYU has faced the toughest part of their schedule with only UNA and SDSU remaining.

Cincy has also faced toughest part of their schedule but has solid games with Tulsa and UCF on schedule.

We have the toughest part of our schedule left so that helps us but odds are that Marshall and BYU win out and Cincy should be able to as well.
My post was not to tout ours or any other SB teams chances of NY6 this year. As you correctly summarized, this year there are many more eligible teams with very strong resumes.

My post was more about overall conference performance and quality this year. We all asked for it, now let's see if the team can meet the challenge. If App wins the conference this year it will ne after playing the toughest conference schedule we have seen yet.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:15 pm

APP93 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:00 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:29 pm
APP93 wrote:

My post was not to tout ours or any other SB teams chances of NY6 this year. As you correctly summarized, this year there are many more eligible teams with very strong resumes.

My post was more about overall conference performance and quality this year. We all asked for it, now let's see if the team can meet the challenge. If App wins the conference this year it will ne after playing the toughest conference schedule we have seen yet.
No doubt. I just did not want people thinking that the SBC controls its destiny. The performances of Cincy and BYU have put them in a league of their own among G5 schools so far.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:45 pm

BYU is not G5. NY6 honors a Conference Champ and BYU is an Independent. But Cincy controls their own destiny and they are truly the BEST G5 team as of this week. Tough to go undefeated in the AAC. Their game with UCF should be fun to watch.

I agree with App93, that this is our toughest road to a Sun Belt Championship. Hoping we can stay injury/Covid free!!!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:13 pm

JMappfan5 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:45 pm
BYU is not G5. NY6 honors a Conference Champ and BYU is an Independent. But Cincy controls their own destiny and they are truly the BEST G5 team as of this week. Tough to go undefeated in the AAC. Their game with UCF should be fun to watch.

I agree with App93, that this is our toughest road to a Sun Belt Championship. Hoping we can stay injury/Covid free!!!
SBC is definitely the best it has been. Middle of the road teams beating P5 teams while 2 teams are ranked is something we have not seen before.

I need to get clarification on that because I know BYU is independent and many consider them P5 but someone in media had told me before that BYU could get the G5 spot in a NY6, if they are undefeated. I'll have to dig and find out how the bowl people would classify them this year if they both go undefeated. I would think based on current status that both teams would deserve a NY6 spot if they keep it up.

Cincy would definitely be top in line for the NY6 right now and they deserve it. Marshall and CCU are good but don't have the SOS to argue with Cincy if things keep up for all 3.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:35 pm

Asterisk year.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:43 pm

Should we, Could we, Would we win out, we will have wins over 2 top 25 teams. Haven't looked at Marshall or Cincy, the playoff committee will rank based off quality wins. Will be an interesting finish. Beat Ga. State!

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:56 am

Yosefus wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:43 pm
Should we, Could we, Would we win out, we will have wins over 2 top 25 teams. Haven't looked at Marshall or Cincy, the playoff committee will rank based off quality wins. Will be an interesting finish. Beat Ga. State!
Your optimism...calms me. :)

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:31 pm

For Cincy it could all come down to their last game @ Tulsa. Both are currently undefeated in the conference. Tulsa's only loss was to Ok State by 9.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”