Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Georgia St Game Day Thread

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Re: Georgia St Game Day Thread

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:57 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:41 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:40 am
Calls here to fire coaches, especially at the half are insane. Anyone ready to pony up a couple million bucks to pay the new staff we need to bring in today after firing the one who has us at 6-1? Could you imagine the news article- “Perennial power App State fires coordinators despite 6-1 record during an incredibly jacked up, crazy COVID filled year due to the outcry of ridiculous armchair coaches on the team’s message board.”
I'm not calling for anyone to be fired midseason. With that said though, at the conclusion of this season I hope the offensive staff gets re-evaluated and possibly re-tooled. Just because our D has drug us to 6-1, should not exempt the offensive staff from getting some heat. We all know the talent on that side of the ball, but it hasn't translated to the field. Why? Most likely it's because we are in our third offensive system in three years, so getting continuity is key for our program. The flip side of that though is keeping mediocrity in the program for the sake of continuity will be detrimental to the growth of our program.
I was referring directly to a few comments yesterday for immediate firing. I would love to see any examples of teams going like 10-1 or even 8-3ish and they fire a coordinator. Third system in 3 years with the same QB and many of the same linemen and skill guys must be a tough deal.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:13 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:57 pm
NavyApp wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
Calls here to fire coaches, especially at the half are insane. Anyone ready to pony up a couple million bucks to pay the new staff we need to bring in today after firing the one who has us at 6-1? Could you imagine the news article- “Perennial power App State fires coordinators despite 6-1 record during an incredibly jacked up, crazy COVID filled year due to the outcry of ridiculous armchair coaches on the team’s message board.”
I'm not calling for anyone to be fired midseason. With that said though, at the conclusion of this season I hope the offensive staff gets re-evaluated and possibly re-tooled. Just because our D has drug us to 6-1, should not exempt the offensive staff from getting some heat. We all know the talent on that side of the ball, but it hasn't translated to the field. Why? Most likely it's because we are in our third offensive system in three years, so getting continuity is key for our program. The flip side of that though is keeping mediocrity in the program for the sake of continuity will be detrimental to the growth of our program.
I was referring directly to a few comments yesterday for immediate firing. I would love to see any examples of teams going like 10-1 or even 8-3ish and they fire a coordinator. Third system in 3 years with the same QB and many of the same linemen and skill guys must be a tough deal.
I agree, third voice in three years has to have an effect at some level. With that said though; the play calling, and execution on offense has been well below the talent level of the roster. Part of the HC's job is to make the hard decisions for the betterment of the program. Yes a fourth system in four years is less than ideal, but would it be better than having a offense sleepwalk through games? Who knows the answer could already be on the staff.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:18 pm

We’re either going to see much more dynamic play calling and utilizing all our weapons or we’re going to lose next week. The game plan for Marshall and GA St isn’t going to work Saturday.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:42 pm

Think he got COVID

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:48 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:43 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:37 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:44 am
Someone remind me - What is Zac's record as our starting QB?
OK - that would be 29-3 (officially 29-4 counting the 3-play start vs. GsSo) - either way he is second in the FBS behind only Trevor Lawrence!!! - and some want to bench him????????????
I wasn't calling for him to be benched, but I have definitely been asking where the real ZT has been. He has been in a funk most of the season.
Oh - I know you weren't - you are much too intelligent for that :D
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:59 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:33 pm
biggie wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:36 am
Just saw someone post on SB board that Harrington is out for season? I’ve seen nothing of that.
He is done for the year. ACL injury. Prayers to him for a speedy recovery.
Sucks. First I’d heard of it though.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:00 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:48 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:22 pm
hotrod2001 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:44 pm
InFor6More wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:02 pm
Yosefus wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:25 pm
Ga State played well on D. I am wondering if the vanilla offense today may have been some sandbaging before next week? On the other hand it has not been a lights out offense most of the season. They'll have to click next week to be competitive. Defense will have their hands full keeping us in the game.
Go APP! PRAYERS FOR ZAC.
You beat me to it. I too am wondering if we used portions of this past week to install plays for Coastal. I sure hope that is the case.
Georgia State isn't a dumpster fire of a program either. Remember they took Louisiana to the wire and have been pretty formidable.

That said, why we kept trying to run the ball up the middle over instead of in the air is beyond me. You'd think after the 14th time we ran the RB into a blue and white wall we would have changed it up.
And they lost to Coastal by 51

Yes, doing that is dumb as hell. Not even close to being sold on our play calling. It leaves a lot to be desired, after the second series of being snuffed running up the middle, make adjustments.

Also, puzzling that Clark said he didn't know much about Coastal in post game interview.....What did they do during Covid break, go to Mother Fletchers, Holley's or PB Scotts? I'll bet Coastal knows a lot about APP. I'm guessing we could be a 2+ TD underdog on Saturday at #15 Coastal.
If we’re more than 2.5 point dogs I will be surprised.
I just saw opening line Coastal -4.5
BLACK SATURDAY

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:10 pm

That seems a little low to me.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:18 pm

My observations:

Game plan for GaST and Marshall were same and yielded same results from our team's results. Only difference is Marshall is better than GaSt therefore we lost one and barely won the other. This is a formula we don't seem to be countering effectively from our side.

Offense:
We are not getting consistent yardage on 1st down. Then we ultimately get into 3rd and long way too often. Everybody knows that is a bad statistical situation which leads to difficultly in completing drives for TDs. I am not seeing creativity with our play calling to address this. We can have different sets, motion, short passes, etc. but we seem to drag our feet in adjusting. Our O-line has not recently given QB a lot of time in passing, maybe due to injuries but you have to adjust. Key, we have to adjust to these PROBLEMS.

Defense:
We have limited overall scores but seems like DJ is slow to make adjustments. Anybody that saw GaSt QB in previous games easily saw he was disrupted when pressure was applied. Why did we not come out of the gate with heavy pressure? We tried to rush 3 D-line on first series and he marched them right down field for TD. What is our problem giving up 3rd and longs this year? We gave up MANY 3rd and 8 plus/numerous 10+ yrds for first downs yesterday. Last year we had one of the BEST defenses for getting 3 and outs, at time we played GaSt last year we were 44% and 4th in nation. That results in getting better field position for offense which means shorter field/statistically easier scoring for your offense. What is wrong?

There are numerous cause and effect issues I just summarized that coaches should honestly tell our fans what/why are we having problems. I understand this is 3rd coaching staff in 3 yrs, I am ok to give them some leeway but I know our team is capable of better play than I am seeing.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:59 pm

Perhaps we should just spot every opponent 7 points because it’s almost a given they will easily drive for an opening score. I agree with the above regarding the defense. Rushing 3 especially at the beginning of the game ain’t gonna work. You are sending 3 against 5 fresh offensive linemen. Our back 8 is good but they can’t cover for 5-8 seconds. Bring some pressure and let our great corners earn their keep. Offensively we simply can’t run through 8 dudes and apparently Henni is either being doubled or our receivers can’t get separation.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:06 pm

biggie wrote:
Just saw someone post on SB board that Harrington is out for season? I’ve seen nothing of that.
Just awful for this young man. He has fought through so much and had emerged as the go to guy in our stable of backs.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:18 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:06 pm
biggie wrote:
Just awful for this young man. He has fought through so much and had emerged as the go to guy in our stable of backs.
Datrich or Brendon Harrington out for the season?

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:48 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:07 am
NewApp wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:47 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:33 am
I’ve watched GA St play for the fourth time yesterday. Their pass defense is one of the worst in the conference. The offensive game plan played to their strengths. To deny that isn’t rational.

Williams, Virgil, Wells, and Horn are more than enough talent to attack their pass defense.

We are masking offensive line injuries by running pound the middle with 9 in the box? Not making me feel better.

Yesterday was the perfect opportunity to use the short to medium passing game to open up the run. We are stubborn and not versatile in our approach. When we can’t run and open holes we don’t adapt. Marshall was the first time, yesterday same game plan.

If we run that plan out the next four weeks we go 2-2 at best.

We have the talent to win any remaining game.
Perhaps you should apply for the next Appalachian State University football coaching position.

That's empty because you know that can't happen.

I'll play along, wish somebody would apply and get the job, they might do better, certainly not any worse. Being objective, the play calling adjustments stunk or didn't exist, we ran right at their strength trying to impose our will all game long, it might work against the likes of Campbell, but sometimes it doesn't work and adjustments have to be made SOON after you see that it "A'int Working" Didn't see any counter plays running or short passing against an aggressively pursuing defense that knew where we were going to run. We aren't difficult to scout when our game plan runs every play up the middle and mostly to the right side. We are pretty predictable. It is frustrating watching our runner and 3 blockers take on 7-8 tacklers in a stacked box for 47 running plays.

I'll eat my crow with DJ, the only issue I can grumble about is the obligatory first TD drives that we give up and spot 7 every game.
Listened to Pierre call the game on the radio. The number of times he said the RB took first contact in the backfield was unbelievable. Seemed like every running play. mentioned some mis direction and moving the pocket, when we did that we got positive outcomes, then went right back to pounding up the middle for loss of 2. First down run for little gain, long pass on 2nd down then in 3rd and long all day. You cannot put that much pressure on your passing game when the line is getting sandpapered. IF as said the line is dinged up and ZT is having trouble pulling the trigger, Playcalling HAS to offset those. He Also noted a sack when they were rushing only 3.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:53 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:07 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:10 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:22 am
bcoach wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:04 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:19 pm
I miss Drinks offense
He is part of the problem.
Drink did everything in his power to destroy our culture. We are seeing the after effects now. Good thing is we have people in spots that realize it -- and are actively fixing it!
How please?
Love week, trying to sit certain players even though position coaches said no, trying to play players that were injured, tried to change the player led team, etc.

It was clear as day when the players celebrated when he was hired by Mizzou!
When I saw two players sharing a sideline coat against the stink last year, i knew something was off! the gnats were jumping around during the time out, and we had two players huddled together under a coat shivering, one of which was in the game at the time.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:32 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:57 pm
NavyApp wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
BD, i think you are making his point for him. with that many players coming back and the success we have seen them have with much more dynamic play calling, why in the world would someone change that? At least Drink realized enough to not change much.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:41 am

Well one thing to keep in mind if comparing seasons - this year we are without the two most explosive offensive players from last year ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:49 pm

MtnMan14 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:33 pm
Man this “we might be sandbagging for the next big game” crap is so obnoxious. Can we not accept that we got owned at the line of scrimmage for 90% of the game and it doesn’t matter what play you call when you’re getting man handled? Same thing happened against Marshall. We can’t get pressure on an opposing QB with 3 guys and on the O line today we gave our guys no room to run. I don’t care what play you call it’s not gonna work if we don’t execute. We aren’t sandbagging for anyone. If we lose next week “we were sandbagging for UL!”. It’s ridiculous.
Thats a mighty original handle you've created there.

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:56 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
bcoach wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
I miss Drinks offense
Drink did everything in his power to destroy our culture. We are seeing the after effects now. Good thing is we have people in spots that realize it -- and are actively fixing it!
Seriously? What exactly did he do to "destroy our culture?"

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:26 pm

To my black and gold brethren who are concerned about Elliott. Did you notice at the end of the game, some serious jawing was occuring between teams. Immediately Georgia State staff came out and got between the two teams. A couple of our coaches joined the barrier. Its football, very emotional sport. Cooler heads prevailed.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:22 pm

MtnMan09 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:56 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
bcoach wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
I miss Drinks offense
Seriously? What exactly did he do to "destroy our culture?"
I’d like to know that myself?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”