Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Up to 29th on Coaches poll. 34th AP top 25

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Up to 29th on Coaches poll. 34th AP top 25

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:59 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:45 pm
If we beat Coastal this weekend, we will be ranked without a doubt. I think most voters are waiting to see if we are any good.

Beat an undefeated, #15 ranked Coastal on ESPN2 in the dirty and suddenly we are a 7-1 ball team with a quality win, whose only loss came to a top #15 ranked Marshall in Huntington.

Then we get Troy on ESPNU, then possibly a still ranked ULL.

Win the next 3 televised ball games and we are a deserving top 20 team in the drivers seat for the sunbelt title. Lose them and it is what it is.

We will know who this team is by December.
There is no doubt voters are waiting to see. Usually we know how good we are much earlier than December but you are right. We will find out how we stack up for sure over the next 4 games. We have done nothing to prove we are top 25 and only getting a few votes because of our brand name.

The Marshall loss keeps looking better and better. I expect them to finish around 11-13 in polls and have several draft picks. It really stings to know we had so many out for that game and just made awful mistakes that we usually don't make.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:32 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:59 pm
ah59396 wrote:
If we beat Coastal this weekend, we will be ranked without a doubt. I think most voters are waiting to see if we are any good.

Beat an undefeated, #15 ranked Coastal on ESPN2 in the dirty and suddenly we are a 7-1 ball team with a quality win, whose only loss came to a top #15 ranked Marshall in Huntington.

Win the next 3 televised ball games and we are a deserving top 20 team in the drivers seat for the sunbelt title. Lose them and it is what it is.

There is no doubt voters are waiting to see. Usually we know how good we are much earlier than December but you are right. We will find out how we stack up for sure over the next 4 games. We have done nothing to prove we are top 25 and only getting a few votes because of our brand name.

The Marshall loss keeps looking better and better. I expect them to finish around 11-13 in polls and have several draft picks. It really stings to know we had so many out for that game and just made awful mistakes that we usually don't make.
If we do indeed make a run this season and win our remaining games, I’d consider it exceptional. To your point, Marshall is very good. And we lost to them by 10 in Huntington.

If somehow our only loss was 10 points away to a top 12 team, I think we’d all take that no questions asked pre-season.

Although I suspect we all would have assumed it would have occurred in Madison!
YNWA

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:13 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

Why do we keep claiming we were missing so many players for the Marshall game? Who was missing other than Pearson & M Williams?

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:10 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:13 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

Why do we keep claiming we were missing so many players for the Marshall game? Who was missing other than Pearson & M Williams?
Just off top of my head from preseason we had Anderson and Sutton opt out (so been out for every game), Pearson, Williams, and then I was told we had a few backups who were out due to COVID-19. I think we also had a few guys dinged up as well. We definitely were not 100%.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:47 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:19 pm
Interesting that our preseason thoughts were largely the opposite , as to defense and offense.Just win baby !
Exactly! I remember thinking with literally everyone back on offense, we would put up some insane numbers. On the other hand, we lost a lot more on defense and figured its play would determine our fate. The defense is just picking up where it left off, the offense is scoring some decent points, but has struggled against teams that can stop the run. Hennigan's injury has, no doubt, played a factor over the last several weeks. To be fair, we have not really had a full contingent of starters in any week.

In the end, the name of game is to win and we have done that to this point, save the Marshall game. Its just one of those things that just doesn't seem right, like much of 2020.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:31 pm

biggie wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:54 pm
Lose this weekend and SB title is gone, that's the main thing. Then we'd just be trying for low bowl.
But, win this week and we can go 3-1 down the stretch and make the title game (Plus, host it if we beat Louisiana)

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:41 pm

Missing Sutton and Anderson this year hurts, and is amplified by a less than 100% Hennigan. Our receiver route running and ability to get separation is a problem we must fix to make the stretch run. If they could get open Zac or Jacob will deliver the throw. The recent sacks are because no one is getting open. Our QBs are too senior to force throws. However, Zac did make an I’m frustrated mistake by throwing a deep ball into double coverage against GA State.

I think we need to figure out how to get Spider-Man the ball. Work on plays that get Malik Williams the ball. Mainly crossing patterns or isolating him out wide. Figure out a way to get Noel or Marcus Williams the ball on a screen pass in the flats. Spread the field and feed the ball to Pearson over the middle. Use the speed of Virgil to clear spaces for underneath passes for Williams, Davis and Pearson. Also like QB draw and shuttle pass to Williams, Noel or Peoples with a spread field. Bread and butter run plays with Peoples and Williams - the Inside and outside zone will be there especially in the second half as defenses tire from from chasing us all over the field with our offensive speed. It is time for Wells, Davis, Horn, Virgil, Henry, Tucker to step it up, run crisp routes and get open.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:32 pm

I don't think it is an issue of our receivers getting open. Admittedly, the tv angles that I watch don't show the entire field but on many plays I can see open receivers. I think one of the issues has been that Zac focuses in on one receiver that he intends to get the ball and if that one is open he often doesn't seem to make it through many progressions to the other receivers. This is to the point of even throwing into double coverage. But, once again I only see what the tv lets me see on each play.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:42 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:32 pm
I don't think it is an issue of our receivers getting open. Admittedly, the tv angles that I watch don't show the entire field but on many plays I can see open receivers. I think one of the issues has been that Zac focuses in on one receiver that he intends to get the ball and if that one is open he often doesn't seem to make it through many progressions to the other receivers. This is to the point of even throwing into double coverage. But, once again I only see what the tv lets me see on each play.
TV copies never do. That is why NFL scouts don't scout off TV copies. They watch coaches tape and see the endzone and sideline angles that the schools provide. If you aren't at the game sitting high up or watching coach tape you really can't see the routes and coverage as a whole very well.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:50 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:42 pm
t4pizza wrote:
TV copies never do. That is why NFL scouts don't scout off TV copies. They watch coaches tape and see the endzone and sideline angles that the schools provide. If you aren't at the game sitting high up or watching coach tape you really can't see the routes and coverage as a whole very well.

I agree, but even on tv I can see open guys on some plays so I imagine its even more apparent on film.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:13 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:50 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:42 pm
t4pizza wrote:

I agree, but even on tv I can see open guys on some plays so I imagine its even more apparent on film.
Yes you can see some open guys but not full field. I have been at a game and seen 2 guys open who did not get the ball but only see one of them open on TV. You can see literally everything on coaches tape. They also show a good endzone angle for scouting linemen. Can definitely see jersey numbers a lot better.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:37 am

Against Marshall, our WRs weren't getting open much at all. Marshall is the only team we had where they were matching up with our athleticism. We still could have won that game if we had executed and stopped shooting ourselves in the foot. That game is in the books though. This year's team seems to play down to the competition at times. I have to imagine it is difficult to get pumped up for games in a three game stretch where the competition is low and there are very few fans in the stands. We saw the App respond after the Marshall loss, and I believe we will see our guys respond this weekend. There is no guaranteed win to be sure, but I think we will see a more familiar version of App football against the Chants. I'm really hoping I don't have to eat these words (eternal homer).

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:47 pm

For those who put too much stock in the rankings right now look at Tulsa.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”