Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Clark Injury updates from Conf Call 11/16 - Ethan Joyce

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Re: Clark Injury updates from Conf Call 11/16 - Ethan Joyce

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:12 am

I'm still having a hard time understanding the need some of you have to continually question the coaching of a team who just WINS ??? - Why should the coaches make big changes to the offense when our team is built to do just what it does??? - Look, I agree that the offense looked really off-kilter against GaST , But APP won the game. The ultimate prize for the day. There is so much that goes into game-planning dependent upon situations, score, clock, etc., - the one thing you don't change in a tight game is what you do best. How many times have we seen our team just keep pounding the ball and by the 4th quarter they have the opponent's defense right where they want them -
When a team has an outstanding Defense like APP does, that becomes part of the game-planning of the Offense. If a team feels it has to score 30+ points to win or if they feel they can win most games with 17 points that is directly tied to offensive game plans -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppDub
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AppDub » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:17 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:18 am
WataugaMan wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:11 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:54 am
WataugaMan wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:47 am
AppDub wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:14 pm
Some may think I'm picking at the scab, but wondering if he had a heart to heart with the OC as well.
Last I heard he stated he thought Petersen called a good game. Thus, unless Jesus does intervene it's more of the same.
The play calling against Marsha and Gag St. was the same as it was against Arkansas St. We have an experienced offense but we aren’t playing with the complete puzzle. Sutton is out. Hennigan isn’t 100%. Virgil isn’t 100%. Pearson missed games. Williams, Harrington and Peoples are not the same RB combo as Evans, Williams and Harrington. Hodges out meant that we were using a TE that probably wouldn’t see the field to help block the edge. Evans stepped up at TE and now Gibbs has stepped up in Evans’ abscence. But Pearson and Gibbs aren’t the same duo as Reed and Pearson. Some of ya’ll need to take a step back and look at the whole picture and CtFD!
No need to shoot the messenger, I'm just restating what Clark said. And, from what you have written and what Clark said, expect more to the same. Right?
We are 6-1. What’s the problem? We are getting it done with guys stepping up and giving their all. “Winning is Winning”

The comment wasn’t directed at you per say. Just in general to the “Fire Peterson” crowd.
I for one certainly never said fire Petersen. Just want to see adjustments in game. Now do I think he was the best hire to start with?....that's a different conversation. Still plenty of talent to work with on our offense. Play calling is super predictable. I do agree winning is winning. Winning big games requires our best on all fronts, including coaching. To be 100% fair it requires our best as fans and I will do my best to stay positive and send good vibes the way of the team. Not sure that helps much but its all I've got.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:22 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:47 am
AppDub wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:14 pm
Some may think I'm picking at the scab, but wondering if he had a heart to heart with the OC as well.
Last I heard he stated he thought Petersen called a good game. Thus, unless Jesus does intervene it's more of the same.
Maybe it's just me but I don't think a public comment in a press conference can be taken at face value. I don't believe Clark is the type to throw one of his staff under the bus, even if he thought the play calling was lacking. I think he would deal with that in private. Whether we see more of the same depends somewhat on which QB we play...at least that's my fear. My personal preference is that we trust whichever QB is playing and call the plays that set our offense up to succeed. I defended Peterson after the Marshall game because I thought that game really came down to execution and huge mistakes. Against GSU, I thought we looked flat, but the poor (predictable) play calling seemed to be more glaring. I do hope Clark gets more involved and gives our offense a chance to win.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:28 am

We had a “fire Ted Roof” insane thread last year, we had a “fire Satterfield” thread years ago. We had “fire Peterson at the half” last Saturday. We have guys already questioning the Clark hire. I’ve seen predictions every week with us winning shootout games and the defense giving up 30+ points. People tend to forget that App doesn’t have millions of dollars sitting around to hire the next “genius “ out there. How many peer schools had a stud running back leave early for the pros? How many had a stud receiver opt out? Imagine having Evans and Sutton right now. Obviously you play with the guys on the roster but sometimes that 3rd back at the G5 level simply isn’t the same as the 5 star kid waiting in the wings at an Alabama. Do we prefer playing the video game type contests like Wake and Carolina had Saturday with little to no defense?

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:30 am

"Why should the coaches make big changes to the offense when our team is built to do just what it does???"

Good question, maybe someone can chime in and further explain this phenomena for us "non-football coach" types. At this point I'm kind of confused. From what I've heard from many posters here is, that's precisely what the new offensive staff did. That is, made big changes to what was working great. Sounds like a good question for debate.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:49 am

I'm not sure what big changes this "new" staff made. Someone will have to fill me in on that.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

App91

Unread post by App91 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:22 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:12 am
I'm still having a hard time understanding the need some of you have to continually question the coaching of a team who just WINS ??? - Why should the coaches make big changes to the offense when our team is built to do just what it does??? - Look, I agree that the offense looked really off-kilter against GaST , But APP won the game. The ultimate prize for the day. There is so much that goes into game-planning dependent upon situations, score, clock, etc., - the one thing you don't change in a tight game is what you do best. How many times have we seen our team just keep pounding the ball and by the 4th quarter they have the opponent's defense right where they want them -
When a team has an outstanding Defense like APP does, that becomes part of the game-planning of the Offense. If a team feels it has to score 30+ points to win or if they feel they can win most games with 17 points that is directly tied to offensive game plans -
Coach, I get what you are saying and you are correct. The concerns, at least mine, come from a place of a razor thin margins. I realize we pound the ball and win in the 4th quarter. But when we have the sports car of offense that we have, at least had, then why drive in the slow lane. With a thin margin, sometimes a ball bounces the wrong way and we dont come out on top. I just do not see any reason to throttle back and play with fire.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:34 am

App91 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:22 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Coach, I get what you are saying and you are correct. The concerns, at least mine, come from a place of a razor thin margins. I realize we pound the ball and win in the 4th quarter. But when we have the sports car of offense that we have, at least had, then why drive in the slow lane. With a thin margin, sometimes a ball bounces the wrong way and we dont come out on top. I just do not see any reason to throttle back and play with fire.
With Evans leaving, Sutton sitting out, Harrington possibly out with a leg injury, tight ends and Henni hobbled by injury and some offensive line dings do we really still have that sports car offense? We all conceded that Drink inherited a loaded offense but does the current staff really have one now? I’m not so sure. We have gone down the depth chart with receivers and true freshmen are getting snaps, we are playing what appears to be our 4th string back at times and we have rotated up front. Do we really have that juggernaut offense some think we do?

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:55 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:34 am
App91 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
With Evans leaving, Sutton sitting out, Harrington possibly out with a leg injury, tight ends and Henni hobbled by injury and some offensive line dings do we really still have that sports car offense? We all conceded that Drink inherited a loaded offense but does the current staff really have one now? I’m not so sure. We have gone down the depth chart with receivers and true freshmen are getting snaps, we are playing what appears to be our 4th string back at times and we have rotated up front. Do we really have that juggernaut offense some think we do?
No. We don't. And yet, we keep winning. If we beat Coastal on Saturday, a lot of people on this board will look awful foolish... or they'll complain that we didn't win by more.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:03 pm

Hey 91 - How about those Hoosiers??? - I guess your daughter has brought them good football vibes
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

App91

Unread post by App91 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:08 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:03 pm
Hey 91 - How about those Hoosiers??? - I guess your daughter has brought them good football vibes
Yeah man, she's getting into it, even though no fans in the stadium. I think they come back to earth this week, but i hope not!

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:50 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
App91 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
No we do not. Not to mention the loss of Victor Johnson a 4 year starter. I know he didn't get drafted but he was a beast for us. I think the loss of Sutton and Hennigan's injury are the two biggest factors in our lack of downfield production. Throw in the speed and ball security we miss with Evans forgoing his senior year and I think you have our current challenge on Offense. Not discounting the hard work our the guys on the field today offer but it's a little much to think we could loose the kind of production Evans and Sutton gave us with no drop off on Offense. I trust the coaches to use the tools we have to the highest effect. Let's just see what they dial up on both sides of the ball for Saturday. Like the good old USA, I say, never count App State Football out.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:56 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:55 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
App91 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
No. We don't. And yet, we keep winning. If we beat Coastal on Saturday, a lot of people on this board will look awful foolish... or they'll complain that we didn't win by more.
This is the first game since Marshall that margin won't matter to pollsters, for those who track where we are ranked every week. If we just win this game we will change narrative and get respect.

I expect us to play much better this weekend because GSU was a trap game but I would still be shocked if we win. There are some who think we win for sure while others who don't so one group will look foolish in the eyes of some but I don't think it makes anyone foolish. I don't remember many thinking we would lose to Marshall so I guess 90% of us were foolish for thinking we would win? lol
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:06 pm

mikeyosef wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:50 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
App91 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
No we do not. Not to mention the loss of Victor Johnson a 4 year starter. I know he didn't get drafted but he was a beast for us. I think the loss of Sutton and Hennigan's injury are the two biggest factors in our lack of downfield production. Throw in the speed and ball security we miss with Evans forgoing his senior year and I think you have our current challenge on Offense. Not discounting the hard work our the guys on the field today offer but it's a little much to think we could loose the kind of production Evans and Sutton gave us with no drop off on Offense. I trust the coaches to use the tools we have to the highest effect. Let's just see what they dial up on both sides of the ball for Saturday. Like the good old USA, I say, never count App State Football out.
Big Vic missed quite a bit of time last year due to injury so wouldn't trot that one out.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:18 pm

App91 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:06 pm
mikeyosef wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:50 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
App91 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
Big Vic missed quite a bit of time last year due to injury so wouldn't trot that one out.
I only considered guys who could have played with us this year. Doesn’t make sense to say “what if” with dudes who graduated.

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:50 pm

Shawn Clark has said 2 things since the end of Ga. State game, 1) on post game interview, he said that we have to play with more emotion. 2) In Monday presser, he said the offensive line got manhandled and got their butts whipped. He had the "come to Jesus meeting" with them as I'm sure he also addressed the lack of emotion. Personally I think you fix both of those and have a few more throws mixed in and we can do well Saturday.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:58 pm

Just realized that we are bowl eligible if there are bowls this season. Not sure i have seen it mentioned.

ASU2012

Unread post by ASU2012 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:01 pm

Yosefus wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:58 pm
Just realized that we are bowl eligible if there are bowls this season. Not sure i have seen it mentioned.
Pretty sure every team in the nation is bowl eligible this year, no win requirements.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:04 pm

:oops:
ASU2012 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:01 pm
Yosefus wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:58 pm
Pretty sure every team in the nation is bowl eligible this year, no win requirements.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:23 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:47 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:14 pm
Glad to here the O line stuff. I don’t think that group has nearly played up to its potential this year. Hope to see them take over the game on Saturday
It's may guess after hearing Clark's interviews and what has been discussed on this board that not much is going to change in the way of play calling this Saturday. With Cooper Hodges back and more motivation from the OL hopefully we'll see a lot of improvement from the offense Saturday.
I’m really hoping the O line guys can channel Parker Collins. We need some nasty from that group!!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”