Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Clark Injury updates from Conf Call 11/16 - Ethan Joyce

booneboy92
School: Appalachian State

Re: Clark Injury updates from Conf Call 11/16 - Ethan Joyce

Unread post by booneboy92 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:45 pm

ASU2012 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:01 pm
Yosefus wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:58 pm
Just realized that we are bowl eligible if there are bowls this season. Not sure i have seen it mentioned.
Pretty sure every team in the nation is bowl eligible this year, no win requirements.
Is that still the case? I know that was the rumor, until all the “Spring Ball” conferences were burned out of their COVID built bunkers (I’m still, and will forever be, pissed they were they were allowed back in). At that time, there weren’t near enough teams to fill all the bowl games. But now the offshore bowls have been cancelled, and I don’t know if there are enough berths for everyone... Hell, even UMess has reared it’s ugly head again to play Stink instead of us!

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:39 am

YesAppCan wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:50 pm
Shawn Clark has said 2 things since the end of Ga. State game, 1) on post game interview, he said that we have to play with more emotion. 2) In Monday presser, he said the offensive line got manhandled and got their butts whipped. He had the "come to Jesus meeting" with them as I'm sure he also addressed the lack of emotion. Personally I think you fix both of those and have a few more throws mixed in and we can do well Saturday.
This! You all can talk all you want about whats wrong but the one person who knows the best told you what our O problem was. If the line play is bad, we wont consistently move the ball, its that simple. when the line play is bad for long stretches thats when you start looking at coaches.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:49 am

AppOrange wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:39 am
YesAppCan wrote:
Shawn Clark has said 2 things since the end of Ga. State game, 1) on post game interview, he said that we have to play with more emotion. 2) In Monday presser, he said the offensive line got manhandled and got their butts whipped. He had the "come to Jesus meeting" with them as I'm sure he also addressed the lack of emotion. Personally I think you fix both of those and have a few more throws mixed in and we can do well Saturday.
This! You all can talk all you want about whats wrong but the one person who knows the best told you what our O problem was. If the line play is bad, we wont consistently move the ball, its that simple. when the line play is bad for long stretches thats when you start looking at coaches.
Agree with this BUT if you stack the box even the best O lines can’t create zone holes. Use our speed on the corners more and more short passes.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:17 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:49 am
AppOrange wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:39 am
YesAppCan wrote:
Agree with this BUT if you stack the box even the best O lines can’t create zone holes. Use our speed on the corners more and more short passes.
Rek - you are 100% correct about stacking the box!!!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:38 am

Plenty of perspective on excuses why we aren’t good on offense.

GA St gives up 38 ppg.

App has a top 1-2 SBC defense right now.

App also has a bottom half offense based on the personnel available and play calling.

We are entering conference play in which all four remaining games are against top half opponents, including three of the top four.

I hope we get healthy quick.

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:40 am

I've thought about this since Saturday. With us putting in up to 2 extra TE's to block, we almost force the defense into the box... Kinda works both ways I'm saying.

ASU2012

Unread post by ASU2012 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:42 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:38 am

GA St gives up 38 ppg.

App also has a bottom half offense based on the personnel available and play calling.

We are entering conference play in which all four remaining games are against top half opponents, including three of the top four.

Yep. Georgia State gave up 51 points less than 14 days before we played them, in their own house. I don't want to hear about their D-line or LBs playing downhill. Our offensive performance was nothing short of embarrassing.

I trust coach when he says he lit a fire under their ass and I hope that's the case.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:58 am

ASU2012 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:42 am
Saint3333 wrote:

GA St gives up 38 ppg.

Yep. Georgia State gave up 51 points less than 14 days before we played them, in their own house. I don't want to hear about their D-line or LBs playing downhill. Our offensive performance was nothing short of embarrassing.

I trust coach when he says he lit a fire under their ass and I hope that's the case.
WHO WON THE GAME??? - WHAT WAS THE ULTIMATE PRIZE FOR THAT DAY???
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:02 am

I've commended team play and play calling in losses and criticized the execution and play calling in wins.

It's called bringing value and substance to a conversation.

boonetown1

Unread post by boonetown1 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:11 am

Just to add here, and this has been beaten to death.

IMO, the difference between the “fire Peterson” and “fire roof” was that roof actually showed statistical improvement 7 games in. On paper, we have played poor defensive units and have shown little to no improvement.

That said, i understand we may not have a high end sports car and are dealing with some injuries, but some adjustments are needed to cover deficiencies. Think early in our transition, we struggled running so we used misdirection and intermediate throws to open up the lanes. In 2017, when our receiving core was depleted, we seem to do a good job having receivers like Ike Lewis work quick comeback routes to gain intermediate chunks of yardage. I’m all for giving Peterson a shot, but he needs to show more of an ability to subtly adjust the plan to open up areas that get us back to running bread and butter plays. Even if it just adjusting the cadence of playcalling.

ASU2012

Unread post by ASU2012 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:52 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:58 am
ASU2012 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

GA St gives up 38 ppg.

Lol, imagine if Belichick had this small minded attitude towards his teams. "Welp boys, we beat the Jets by 4 and looked terrible doing it, but we won so see y'all next Sunday! Mission accomplished."

No, you can identify weaknesses and areas to improve even in the shadows of a victory. The offense has to improve for us to be successful moving forward. More specifically, it has 3 more days to get right before a game that decides this season.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:01 am

You win the game - you watch tape - you figure out what worked and what didn't - put all of that down AND immediately begin putting together your finalized game plans for the next game. There is very little time to ruminate over what happened last Saturday and it is much easier to do that when last Saturday was W ---

I have no problem with what you are pointing out Saint - you are right about discussing play-calling, etc., it is those who go Overboard with negativity ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:01 am

ASU2012 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:52 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
ASU2012 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

GA St gives up 38 ppg.

Lol, imagine if Belichick had this small minded attitude towards his teams. "Welp boys, we beat the Jets by 4 and looked terrible doing it, but we won so see y'all next Sunday! Mission accomplished."

No, you can identify weaknesses and areas to improve even in the shadows of a victory. The offense has to improve for us to be successful moving forward. More specifically, it has 3 more days to get right before a game that decides this season.
It’s not a small minded attitude at all. Most of you are expecting similar outcomes from years past with guys with less experience and potentially less ability. Christian Wells is good, but he isn’t Sutton. Harrington, Peoples and Williams aren’t Evans.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:56 am

Saint3333 wrote:

GA St gives up 38 ppg.

Your evaluation of our offense is pretty subjective ("bottom half based on personnel available and play calling"). The stats say differently. In terms of yards per game, we are second in the conference per ESPN stats:

Arkansas State 456.3
App 449.7
CCU 442.0
Louisiana 436.0

In Points per game we are third:
CCU 37.9
Ga St. 33.3
App 32.0
Louisiana 30.6

I do understand the current frustration, but I also believe that analyzing against "expectations" can be misleading.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:15 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:56 am
Saint3333 wrote:

GA St gives up 38 ppg.

Your evaluation of our offense is pretty subjective ("bottom half based on personnel available and play calling"). The stats say differently. In terms of yards per game, we are second in the conference per ESPN stats:

Arkansas State 456.3
App 449.7
CCU 442.0
Louisiana 436.0

CCU 37.9
Ga St. 33.3
App 32.0
Louisiana 30.6

I do understand the current frustration, but I also believe that analyzing against "expectations" can be misleading.
Personally the frustration on offense is it's inability to adapt to what a defense is doing in the flow of the game. When we are hitting on all cylinders it's great to watch, but when the opposing defensive scheme is effective early we don't adapt what we are doing. I'm not talking about changing of offensive philosophy but changing up formations, adding "eye candy" to throw the defense off. Just any mid game adjustment would be a welcome sight.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:23 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:56 am
Saint3333 wrote:

GA St gives up 38 ppg.

Arkansas State 456.3
App 449.7
CCU 442.0
Louisiana 436.0

CCU 37.9
Ga St. 33.3
App 32.0
Louisiana 30.6

App has played the worst defenses in the SBC that context matters, including putting up 17 against the 107th best defense in the nation last week.

That isn’t being subjective.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:05 pm

Just to clarify another thought - APP has everything laid out perfectly for them over the next few weeks - We play 2 top 25 teams - We play the conference leader in our division - Four games with what could be considered our top 4 Rivals - Games on ESPN - Conference Championships and National Rankings on the line - WHAT THE HELL DO SOME OF YOU GUYS WANT??? - The future, baby - not the past ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:08 pm

To me one of the big factors this weekend will be the number of penalties. Coastal is 6th (2.7 per game) in the nation as far as least amount of penalties go. App comes in at 84th (6.7 per). Discipline and balance will go a long way. Offense needs to be clicking to take some of the weight off the D as Coastal's offense is very well run. Apologies in advance if this is too negative.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:19 pm

From above.. I'm not talking about changing of offensive philosophy but changing up formations, adding "eye candy" to throw the defense off. Just any mid game adjustment would be a welcome sight.

I am all for cheerleaders and/or dance team members running onto field to distract the defense. Whatever coach has to do to win. Just win baby!!! BAHAHAHA
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:42 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:01 am
ASU2012 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:52 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
ASU2012 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

GA St gives up 38 ppg.

It’s not a small minded attitude at all. Most of you are expecting similar outcomes from years past with guys with less experience and potentially less ability. Christian Wells is good, but he isn’t Sutton. Harrington, Peoples and Williams aren’t Evans.
Just a thought on not being able to replace players. I’m guilty of thinking we have lost some guys we can’t replace but that simply shouldn’t be true. Yes we will recruit some guys that are much better than we could have expected and we will have some guys who grow into P5 type of players. But as much success as we have had, we should be recruiting better and better players. We should be bringing in guys now that can compete for starting roles in there freshmen and sophomore years. I think it was about year 3 of our FBS transition that we had a freshman class that was ready to compete for starting positions right away. I would say 2018 and 2019 should have netted us some guys who can play right now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”