Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Clark Injury updates from Conf Call 11/16 - Ethan Joyce

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Clark Injury updates from Conf Call 11/16 - Ethan Joyce

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:42 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:01 am
ASU2012 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:52 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:58 am
ASU2012 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:42 am

Yep. Georgia State gave up 51 points less than 14 days before we played them, in their own house. I don't want to hear about their D-line or LBs playing downhill. Our offensive performance was nothing short of embarrassing.

I trust coach when he says he lit a fire under their ass and I hope that's the case.
WHO WON THE GAME??? - WHAT WAS THE ULTIMATE PRIZE FOR THAT DAY???
Lol, imagine if Belichick had this small minded attitude towards his teams. "Welp boys, we beat the Jets by 4 and looked terrible doing it, but we won so see y'all next Sunday! Mission accomplished."

No, you can identify weaknesses and areas to improve even in the shadows of a victory. The offense has to improve for us to be successful moving forward. More specifically, it has 3 more days to get right before a game that decides this season.
It’s not a small minded attitude at all. Most of you are expecting similar outcomes from years past with guys with less experience and potentially less ability. Christian Wells is good, but he isn’t Sutton. Harrington, Peoples and Williams aren’t Evans.
Just a thought on not being able to replace players. I’m guilty of thinking we have lost some guys we can’t replace but that simply shouldn’t be true. Yes we will recruit some guys that are much better than we could have expected and we will have some guys who grow into P5 type of players. But as much success as we have had, we should be recruiting better and better players. We should be bringing in guys now that can compete for starting roles in there freshmen and sophomore years. I think it was about year 3 of our FBS transition that we had a freshman class that was ready to compete for starting positions right away. I would say 2018 and 2019 should have netted us some guys who can play right now.
Dude. You are delusional if you truly feel that way. Have you taken a deep dive into our recruiting? Go back and look at our ten highest rated players. How many made an impact their first year? Or at all? We aren’t Bama. It isn’t as cut and dry as you want it to be. Kids get arbitrary ratings based on talent. That rating doesn’t factor in heart, character, and head space. You clearly set your expectations based on nothing but what you want.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:18 pm

AppDub wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:08 pm
To me one of the big factors this weekend will be the number of penalties. Coastal is 6th (2.7 per game) in the nation as far as least amount of penalties go. App comes in at 84th (6.7 per). Discipline and balance will go a long way. Offense needs to be clicking to take some of the weight off the D as Coastal's offense is very well run. Apologies in advance if this is too negative.
Penalties, especially untimely ones, are critical when the margin for error is fairly small. Didn't realize CCU performed so well in that area.

They have the hottest (maybe the best) coach in the conference and I don't see any way he's still there past next year.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:51 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:15 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:56 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:38 am
Plenty of perspective on excuses why we aren’t good on offense.

GA St gives up 38 ppg.

App has a top 1-2 SBC defense right now.

App also has a bottom half offense based on the personnel available and play calling.

We are entering conference play in which all four remaining games are against top half opponents, including three of the top four.

I hope we get healthy quick.
Your evaluation of our offense is pretty subjective ("bottom half based on personnel available and play calling"). The stats say differently. In terms of yards per game, we are second in the conference per ESPN stats:

Arkansas State 456.3
App 449.7
CCU 442.0
Louisiana 436.0

In Points per game we are third:
CCU 37.9
Ga St. 33.3
App 32.0
Louisiana 30.6

I do understand the current frustration, but I also believe that analyzing against "expectations" can be misleading.
Personally the frustration on offense is it's inability to adapt to what a defense is doing in the flow of the game. When we are hitting on all cylinders it's great to watch, but when the opposing defensive scheme is effective early we don't adapt what we are doing. I'm not talking about changing of offensive philosophy but changing up formations, adding "eye candy" to throw the defense off. Just any mid game adjustment would be a welcome sight.
Yep, no argument from me on that. As I said, I understand the frustration.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:09 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:14 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
ASU2012 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

Lol, imagine if Belichick had this small minded attitude towards his teams. "Welp boys, we beat the Jets by 4 and looked terrible doing it, but we won so see y'all next Sunday! Mission accomplished."

No, you can identify weaknesses and areas to improve even in the shadows of a victory. The offense has to improve for us to be successful moving forward. More specifically, it has 3 more days to get right before a game that decides this season.
It’s not a small minded attitude at all. Most of you are expecting similar outcomes from years past with guys with less experience and potentially less ability. Christian Wells is good, but he isn’t Sutton. Harrington, Peoples and Williams aren’t Evans.
Just a thought on not being able to replace players. I’m guilty of thinking we have lost some guys we can’t replace but that simply shouldn’t be true. Yes we will recruit some guys that are much better than we could have expected and we will have some guys who grow into P5 type of players. But as much success as we have had, we should be recruiting better and better players. We should be bringing in guys now that can compete for starting roles in there freshmen and sophomore years. I think it was about year 3 of our FBS transition that we had a freshman class that was ready to compete for starting positions right away. I would say 2018 and 2019 should have netted us some guys who can play right now.
Dude. You are delusional if you truly feel that way. Have you taken a deep dive into our recruiting? Go back and look at our ten highest rated players. How many made an impact their first year? Or at all? We aren’t Bama. It isn’t as cut and dry as you want it to be. Kids get arbitrary ratings based on talent. That rating doesn’t factor in heart, character, and head space. You clearly set your expectations based on nothing but what you want.
No I’m not delusional, and you really didn’t need to go there. I didn’t even criticize your statement. My point is simply this, based on the success and increased visibility of our program we should be able to recruit better and better players and that has happened. If we keep doing well that will hit a plateau. I never once mentioned stars or ratings of recruits. It was more of a general statement of what should happen. There are a lot of variables but I stand by the statement that as far as recruiting goes we should still be on an upward trajectory. Pretty much ever time we have a really good player leave we have another step up. We could never replace Cox and then there was Moore. We could never replace Moore and then there was Evans. Have a good one.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:13 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
ASU2012 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

If i am not mistaken, 5 of those top 10 recruits have come in the past 2 classes. its not unreasonable to think or expect the talent to be to par. Heck, if not, why recruit them?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:04 pm

App91 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:13 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
ASU2012 wrote:

If i am not mistaken, 5 of those top 10 recruits have come in the past 2 classes. its not unreasonable to think or expect the talent to be to par. Heck, if not, why recruit them?
If you are relying on Freshmen and Sophomores to fill out roster spots then you are in trouble. E have two guys on the offensive side of the ball that have started as Freshmen. They weren’t in the top 20. One is the 34th all time best recruit, by ratings. The other is #77. Point is you just don’t know. Ellis is the 4th best recruit, by rating. With our issues at WR this year, why hasn’t he seen the field. Not suggesting that there is anything wrong with him, just asking a rhetorical question to “we should be recruiting guys that can come in a Nd play right away.”

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:10 pm

When discussing playing young guys I look back at the 2014 season when we inserted all those players we had planned to red shirt and then the 2018 depth chart prior to Penn St.

https://journalnow.com/sports/college/a ... e7dbe.html

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:35 pm

In regards to recruiting, 2021 class is ranked #61 (if they all sign). For G5 school is pretty freaking good if you consider the overall total number of P5 schools we compete against... And that recruiting is more regional probably due to name recognition outside of southeast footprint. I will take in the 50s and 60s every year if we could get it. I seem to recall we may historically been in 75s to 100 in the past. Probably 70s would be considered a great class for P5. If a kid gets a P5 offer, even if Wake or Dook, nd believes it comes with belief he will get playing time by sophomore or junior year, more times than not, will take it due to exposure, etc. So we are competing against the lower level teams in ACC for recruits. Realize Wake is typically middle of road ACC team lately. Just using as example for discussion.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:22 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:09 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
ASU2012 wrote:

No I’m not delusional, and you really didn’t need to go there. I didn’t even criticize your statement. My point is simply this, based on the success and increased visibility of our program we should be able to recruit better and better players and that has happened. If we keep doing well that will hit a plateau. I never once mentioned stars or ratings of recruits. It was more of a general statement of what should happen. There are a lot of variables but I stand by the statement that as far as recruiting goes we should still be on an upward trajectory. Pretty much ever time we have a really good player leave we have another step up. We could never replace Cox and then there was Moore. We could never replace Moore and then there was Evans. Have a good one.
I apologize. I didn’t need to go there. I’m sorry.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:03 pm

My newest pet peeve of the p5/g5 nonsense, is the announcers saying " xyz player transfer from p5 school while announcing a g5 game...like that is why he did something good. Never hear it the other way. The Espn announcers do it nonstop.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:59 pm

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:35 pm
In regards to recruiting, 2021 class is ranked #61 (if they all sign). For G5 school is pretty freaking good if you consider the overall total number of P5 schools we compete against... And that recruiting is more regional probably due to name recognition outside of southeast footprint. I will take in the 50s and 60s every year if we could get it. I seem to recall we may historically been in 75s to 100 in the past. Probably 70s would be considered a great class for P5. If a kid gets a P5 offer, even if Wake or Dook, nd believes it comes with belief he will get playing time by sophomore or junior year, more times than not, will take it due to exposure, etc. So we are competing against the lower level teams in ACC for recruits. Realize Wake is typically middle of road ACC team lately. Just using as example for discussion.
Forget about the ratings. Those websites do a decent (at best) job of rating players for P5 schools but they are just guessing at the G5 players. Our best players are typically our lowest ratings (has happened a lot). The only reason we are #1 in SBC is because of previous success. We pretty much had the best class in the SBC in 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, and 2015 but were not given that title every year because we had not built the brand yet. Just because we were not recognized as being the best does not mean we were not. That OL class where we had Nunn, Gossett, and Collins in the same group was probably the best OL haul for any SBC team in one class in a while but was not rated high.

InFor6More

Unread post by InFor6More » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:46 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:04 pm
App91 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:13 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

If you are relying on Freshmen and Sophomores to fill out roster spots then you are in trouble. E have two guys on the offensive side of the ball that have started as Freshmen. They weren’t in the top 20. One is the 34th all time best recruit, by ratings. The other is #77. Point is you just don’t know. Ellis is the 4th best recruit, by rating. With our issues at WR this year, why hasn’t he seen the field. Not suggesting that there is anything wrong with him, just asking a rhetorical question to “we should be recruiting guys that can come in a Nd play right away.”

There’s no doubt that recruiting will plateau at some point simply due to the fact that we can’t compete on facilities and other BS that gets hyped these days but I feel like we should be recruiting kids that have the ability to match talent with the entrenched starters. Now whether or not you play them year one should have more to do with the state of your program, your loyalty to your seniors, and your philosophy around building a redshirt class. As a G5 program that is competing with P5’s and many other institutions in our recruiting areas, our disciplined approach and commitment to maintaining that redshirt class is critical to building upon our success in my opinion.

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:52 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:18 pm
AppDub wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:08 pm

They have the hottest (maybe the best) coach in the conference and I don't see any way he's still there past next year.
He did come to Boone with Charleston Southern and beat us just a few years ago.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:29 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:05 pm
Just to clarify another thought - APP has everything laid out perfectly for them over the next few weeks - We play 2 top 25 teams - We play the conference leader in our division - Four games with what could be considered our top 4 Rivals - Games on ESPN - Conference Championships and National Rankings on the line - WHAT THE HELL DO SOME OF YOU GUYS WANT??? - The future, baby - not the past ---
We just want to feel comfortable that our loaded team can win all of these games that are ahead of us. That really is all this is about, the team's performance thus far has not been what was expected and it has a lot of us worried about the games that are still ahead for us. Yes, if we perform we will see this as a really good season with yet another, Marshall, misstep. I just wish I felt comfortable that we will finally play like we all know are capable of playing.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:09 am

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:29 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:05 pm
Just to clarify another thought - APP has everything laid out perfectly for them over the next few weeks - We play 2 top 25 teams - We play the conference leader in our division - Four games with what could be considered our top 4 Rivals - Games on ESPN - Conference Championships and National Rankings on the line - WHAT THE HELL DO SOME OF YOU GUYS WANT??? - The future, baby - not the past ---
We just want to feel comfortable that our loaded team can win all of these games that are ahead of us. That really is all this is about, the team's performance thus far has not been what was expected and it has a lot of us worried about the games that are still ahead for us. Yes, if we perform we will see this as a really good season with yet another, Marshall, misstep. I just wish I felt comfortable that we will finally play like we all know are capable of playing.
Well I guess we will be finding out soon - :D
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:16 am

Do we know yet who is getting snaps at QB for this game?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:18 am

If ZT can go, he will get the snaps. Could likely be a game time decision.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:27 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:18 am
If ZT can go, he will get the snaps. Could likely be a game time decision.

Hopefully, our opponent doesn't know either. Thus they will have to plan and practice for two diff styles, strengths, and talents of QB's. Might be our only true advantage.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:32 am

Jacob can get the job done.

booneboy92

Re: Clark Injury updates from Conf Call 11/16 - Ethan Joyce and I are

Unread post by booneboy92 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:43 am

I didn’t want to start another thread about this, but just noticed ULL’s game against Central Ark. is cancelled this weekend.... They’ll have a rest week, and we’ll have a short week. Not that I don’t think it’s something else we can deal with, but man it seems like the deck keeps getting stacked higher...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”