Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Oline

Saint3333

Oline

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:34 am

Does the oline play better is 7 is our QB Saturday?

It’s human nature to put more of the game on yourself when you know you’re down a man as a team. I believe the team has faith in Jacob, but just a thought.

Also worry about the RBs trying to do too much with our fumbling issues this year.

We may just need a 1999 vs GS effort on defense to win this one, who will be the Wes Hunter and score on D?

t4pizza
School: Appalachian State

Re: Oline

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:48 am

They certainly responded and played better to end the game against Ga State when Zac went down. Perhaps it carries over. Of course everyone on the team knows that Heusman can lead us to victory over CCU in Conway as he has done it before. But honestly, nobody on this team should need any extra motivation on this one at all. We are traveling to a team that has NEVER beaten us but yet is #15 in the country, the highest ranked Sun Belt team ever, and clearly stands between us and OUR conference title defense. As poor as we have played this year, I expect that we come out and show everyone that App State still runs the Sun Belt. That of course is my heart talking, it is still trying to convince my head that we will win let alone dominate. If we play to our potential, we win but if we continue to play uninspired, sloppy, turnover prone offense it may be a long day. Hoping it all comes together on Saturday regardless of who we have taking the snaps.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:51 am

I guess it depends on what Jesus said at the meeting :D

I'd certainly hope it wouldn't matter who is behind center, there's an awful lot riding on this one.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:16 pm

I find it interesting that so many times we have had teams be able to come in and try to play the role of spoiler. GS has been able to do just that to us. Now we finally have a chance to do the same and it will be fun to watch how the team reacts to playing that role. Hopefully it fires them up and they knock of the "giant" this year. Not sure giant is the right term, but rankings wise it fits...for now.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:03 pm

This is going to be a interesting one for sure. So much potential for this team just waiting and hoping to see a breakout from past performances this season.
GIVE'EM HELL!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:17 pm

I really don't think the OL will play better Saturday BECAUSE of #7 being the QB (if that happens). I think they play better because they will have the chip back on their shoulders after letting Georgia State sneak up and smack them in the mouth! CCU isn't sneaking up on anybody this Saturday. I believe the whole team will be on a mission this Saturday and if CCU is going to win, they're going to have to play their best game so far. That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Eternal homer

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:12 pm

Don't worry fellow Apps. We will be normal Saturday when we beat CCU!!
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

InFor6More

Unread post by InFor6More » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:30 pm

AppState89 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:12 pm
And sentiment on this board will turn on a dime. ZT will be back in everyone’s good graces, whether he plays or not.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:47 am

InFor6More wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:30 pm
AppState89 wrote:
And sentiment on this board will turn on a dime. ZT will be back in everyone’s good graces, whether he plays or not.
I don't think ZT is in the bad graces of anyone. I just think some acknowledge that he has not quite made the strides throwing the ball that was expected. He will make a great throw and then have a ball go in the ground short of the receiver like he just does not have the arm to get it there but is frustrating because you know he does have the arm strength.

This game will be interesting because if you just break down the individual talent of our guys and theirs then there is no question we are better. We have not played our best yet while I think CCU has shown their A game. Hopefully we can come out on top but I don't want to get my hopes up. GSU has played spoiler to us in the last 2 years so I'm hoping we finally get to do it. I just hope no matter what happens we don't overlook Troy because they are out for revenge and will bring their A game to Boone.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:14 pm

InFor6More wrote:
AppState89 wrote:
I don't think it is a matter of good graces as much as it is concern. I think we all want him to be the old ZT we have seen in the past for his sake more than ours ours. I think dink took something out of his game and when he gets it back I feel sorry for the opposition.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:04 pm

bcoach wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:14 pm
InFor6More wrote:
AppState89 wrote:
I don't think it is a matter of good graces as much as it is concern. I think we all want him to be the old ZT we have seen in the past for his sake more than ours ours. I think dink took something out of his game and when he gets it back I feel sorry for the opposition.
Stats don't tell the whole story but its hard to look at those and see much difference between last year, arguably his best year, and this year. His performance was slightly better last year. I think its hard to blame Drink for whatever ails him.

2020 2019
Completion % 66.5% 62.7%
Yards/game 183 194
Attempts/g 23.8 25.6
TDs/game 1.7 2
QB rating 148.8 148.7
Yds/comp 11.6 12.1
Yds/att 7.7 7.6
Int/g .71 .43

clemmonsapp

Unread post by clemmonsapp » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:35 pm

These stats from 2019 include games against UNC, SC, Louisiana twice, Ga South. This year's numbers are against Marshall and four teams with a combined 9 wins (no team with a winning record)

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:22 pm

clemmonsapp wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:35 pm
These stats from 2019 include games against UNC, SC, Louisiana twice, Ga South. This year's numbers are against Marshall and four teams with a combined 9 wins (no team with a winning record)
That's a fair point. I was just trying to point out that you can't just look at the stats and see a drop off in performance. I'm suggesting it's not necessarily the production but something else at work. For many its a perception thing but difficult to point to any one thing that sticks out. I think it fair to point out that his relationship with two of his best receivers is vastly different this year. Sutton is not available and Hennigan has clearly not been himself in the last several games.

clemmonsapp

Unread post by clemmonsapp » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:38 pm

I agree - he hasn’t looked comfortable. I see frustration at times. I am not sure if this is because of his play, the system, or the play calling.

Zach took some time to get comfortable in Drinks system. His hesitance was tangible. It was obvious he was having to think rather than instinctively react. He was dialed in after a couple of games. He seems unsure of himself again this year, but hasn’t progressed in this system as the season has gone on.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:33 pm

There are a lot of “could be’s”
Route running
Time in the pocket
Injured receivers
Not enough practice passing reps
Predictable plays/tendencies
Injured QB
Better competition.

Or All of the above contribute to concerns

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:47 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:33 pm
Route running
Time in the pocket
Injured receivers
Injured QB
Better competition.

Or it could be that our running game sets up the pass and our running game is getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage more this year then in any other ZT year. We're behind the chains more this year than in previous years and that puts more pressure on the passing game.

My personal opinion is that ZT is an "in rhythm" passer and gets better with each completed pass. Our overall offense has really lacked "flow" this year, largely due to the struggles in the run game. Couple that with the items that you listed (and add receivers not getting separation in some games), and you have the concerns that have surfaced.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:00 am

I'm a fan of ZT, so I'm completely supportive of him as QB. I do not believe that he has declined in ability, desire or effort. I have seen him in games when he hasn't performed as well (mostly GSU and Marshall). Marshall was more athletic and Zac had very few open targets to hit. From what I could tell (no expert and make no claims in that respect), our WRs were not getting separation and he had very few open targets. I didn't feel the issue was play calling as much as execution (OL/DL performance also) and mistakes. Saturday felt very different because GSU doesn't match up athletically, but we seemed entrenched in a game plan that played into their strengths. All that being said, I am confident that App has the athletes to beat anyone in the SBC, even with our injuries and opt outs(which are significant).

I don't think our performance Saturday is indicative of what to expect this week....at least I hope not! I do think this crazy year has impacted our team, perhaps more than others. Our off-season strength & conditioning was hit hard and had to be adapted to a bizarre situation. We have missed practices and done things via video conference that would normally be done face to face. All this is being done by a first year HC and brand new staff. We will never know what that impact has been, but I believe it's a factor.

Bottom line is, I'm still believing our best football is ahead of us. We are entering the portion of the season that has been circled for weeks / months. We have athletes who are gamers, and there should be a sense of urgency. I'm hoping that I'm right. We will find out in about 30 hours.

GO APPS!!!

InFor6More

Unread post by InFor6More » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:36 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:47 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:33 pm
Route running
Time in the pocket
Injured receivers
Injured QB
Better competition.

Or it could be that our running game sets up the pass and our running game is getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage more this year then in any other ZT year. We're behind the chains more this year than in previous years and that puts more pressure on the passing game.

My personal opinion is that ZT is an "in rhythm" passer and gets better with each completed pass. Our overall offense has really lacked "flow" this year, largely due to the struggles in the run game. Couple that with the items that you listed (and add receivers not getting separation in some games), and you have the concerns that have surfaced.
Agreed. He came out of the gate showing us that he is a rhythm passer at Penn St. The all white unis, the hopefully newfound chip on our shoulder, and what I really feel like is some holding back of the coaching staff in our playcalling will all play to our favor tomorrow and the remainder of the season.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”