Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Game Day Menu! (and game thread if no one starts one)

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Re: Game Day Menu! (and game thread if no one starts one)

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:08 pm

js290 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:35 pm
Everyone on this board should be questioning the current coaching and overall discipline/execution......the sloppiness continues every single week, especially offensively, sick of the excuses.
I will say this. If you don't like the coaches because of penalties then you haven't like our coaches for the last 4 head coaches. Penalties have become part of our DNA. It was so bad foe a while that we were getting reputation penalties. I have given up thinking that will EVER change.

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:08 pm

bcoach wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:02 pm
GlassOnion wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:10 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:03 pm
GlassOnion wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:52 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:37 pm

He isnt? What games are you watching?
The one with a grown man making a 6 digit salary on the sideline for the responsibility of making tough decisions.
The one with no in game adjustments, crucial PI penalty, 2 kickoffs out of bounds, 5 illegal/motion penalities, a face mask and our 3 top receivers hobbled or opting out, and our top 2 running backs out and a pretty good team on the other side of the ball and receivers who can’t get open.
99% of which ZT has no responsibility for.
That is because a few things were left out. Things like underthrowing , overthrowing, interceptions and sitting on the bench moping like a little kid. A leader is not on the bench at that point. He is on the sideline chomping to get in the game for a last drive to win the game. Everything I have seen this year leads me to believe he does not want to be there.
Sweet, I get to pull out my Remember The Titans quote!

"Attitude reflects leadership. "

How concerning is it, of things behind the scenes, if a winner and leader like ZT is in a funk as bad as you describe. And what kind of staff just ignores it and allows it to continue?

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:12 pm

Should make for an interesting press conference next week....who am I kidding. Probably will sound exactly the same.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:21 pm

I don’t really get blaming coaches for penalties. No coach caused the face mask or the false starts. Senior offensive linemen should not false start especially in a virtually empty stadium. I’ve said it 100 times we make way too many mental mistakes to win close games.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:29 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:21 pm
I don’t really get blaming coaches for penalties. No coach caused the face mask or the false starts. Senior offensive linemen should not false start especially in a virtually empty stadium. I’ve said it 100 times we make way too many mental mistakes to win close games.
Well coached teams don’t make mental mistakes. Penalties are mental mistakes that are unforced.

You saw a well coached team today with one five yard penalty. It was the guy who will be a P5 coach next year.
YNWA

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:43 pm
fjblair wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:32 pm
Clark has not impressed anyone yet. I'm rooting for the guy, but honestly he has been underwhelming thus far.
I am with you there. I hope to God I'm wrong, but I get the distinct impression that our top 3 coaching positions are occupied by position coaches.
I know it’s too early to judge, but the sloppiness, lack of discipline, etc. have my attention. That shit needs to cease, regardless of where you played and for whom you played.
Today’s game didn’t bother me as much as my concern for our program going forward. Like I said, I know it’s too early to judge (consider Satterfield’s start) but it has my attention.
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:08 pm

appbio91 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:33 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:50 pm
appbio91 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:13 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:03 pm
For whatever reason #12 has been making game changing mistakes.If we don’t turn the ball over today we win.The turnovers - the interceptions were on him.Bad quarterback play beat us. Both the Coastal RFr and the Marshall RFr are better QBs. Is he hurt ? I don’t know but he’s not the player he was last year or the year before. I wish it was different.I love the guy but perhaps we would have been better served by #7 today . He’s going to have to turn it around and quick , if he can. “If”.
Go back and watch some of the catches Sutton and Hennigan made last year, have you seen any of that this year?
You aren’t succeeding in making your point. Basically what you are saying is Thomas was only successful because he had receivers who bailed him out with amazing individual efforts. There is plenty of talent at receiver. I didn’t see many drops today. I did see a ton of poorly thrown balls.
It seems like I did make my point, two professional caliber athletes and a healthy Hennigan make a difference

Haha. No you didn’t you just said the same thing again. If your point is Thomas is only good with nfl talent to bail him out I agree with you.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:29 pm

I know we haven’t played up to our expectations but good God people some of you are laying the disgust on a bit thick.

Tatedc

Unread post by Tatedc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:04 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:29 pm
I know we haven’t played up to our expectations but good God people some of you are laying the disgust on a bit thick.
Keep in mind that while not guaranteed we appear to be on the edge of losing our programs long standing dynasty. When you take out the fcs/fbs transition seasons with postseason bans...over the last 13 normal seasons we've won 3 FCS national championships, 11 conference titles, 11 10+ win seasons and have earned a 5-0 bowl record. We are losing A TON next year, and needed this year to be great to reasonably have a shot at continuity.

Recruiting has been weak sense Satterfield left, no one actually has confidence that coach Clark knows what he is doing and Zach Thomas is unusual in that his regression is unprecedented in known college football history. Not that we ever reached the heights of top 10 programs...but look at Nebraska, Tennessee, FSU and programs of the like...even 1 step back can lead to decades of failure. Of course that seems extreme....but the signs point to such, and it sucks because we should be so good this year...but coaching has been poor...but more notably Zach Thomas is simply a horrible quarterback.

Winning out would salvage the season....no doubt. But Georgia Southern owns Zach Thomas, no way we beat Louisiana without a miracle, and bowl game would be an unlikely win. Troy we should be able to handle.

Its possible that we are all overreacting, but we are all so invested in our rise from unknown to a national name. And this team should have gone undefeated with this schedule...and now 7-5 or even 9-3 would be a huge dissapointment.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:55 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:44 pm
Thomas looks like a prima Donna head case. At this point, any good throw I was elated because there is no consistency to him. It was touched on a long time ago by a poster that Thomas is a hinderance to this team. Looking at the body language of the team, I don’t know if Thomas is really even a captain anymore.

The play calling was fine. Your senior qb airmailing the ball all over the place and taking untimely sacks and not getting out of bounds. And basically looking defeated and sad is why we lost this game. Coastal is a good team. We couldn’t score touchdowns because Thomas can’t consistently complete throws
Like I alluded to this off-season, playing QB is more than what you just bring on the field on GameDay.......
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:56 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
We will be fine. The deck was ataxked against us in many ways this year. Its a little adversity, we have a solid team coming back next season.

Everyone needs to relax.
The Appalachian State

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:02 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:56 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
We will be fine. The deck was ataxked against us in many ways this year. Its a little adversity, we have a solid team coming back next season.

Everyone needs to relax.
I hear you

There are real concerns ..... discipline and coaching are my concerns

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:39 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

Everyone needs to relax.
I agree. But I also think there are some warning signs that need to be paid attention.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:04 pm

Observations from sitting on Section 216 today
Offense - 1st half. Running lanes galore. Could have had more yards if RBs would have cut back. I know easier said than done. 20 is a tough little nut. Needs to get stronger. 1st half passing was better than most of year. The roll outs to TEs was nice change of pace even if glorified running play. With that said, only one true pass attempt in middle of field which was to 14 but overthrown.
Second half - They made adjustments and we did not in the running game. Whether it was stack the box or dbs rushing to point of attack at snap. Although it was not 12s best day at the office, I believe the game was decided on two decisive plays (just speaking offense and overall 2nd half philosophy. 1st was QB run on 3rd and 7.in the redzone or near it. Overall bad call with 7 yards to go on short field. The actual execution was not good. Needed to wait extra second to sell it may be a pass. If the first guy had not tackled him, others were in the area coming to get 12. This was play not to lose mentality or just not a good call. Second play, QB roll out and throw deep against his body. TE was open short. Too long of a throw especially rolling left unless the receiver is wide open. Take gain with TE and move the chains. But the larger issue to me from section 216 was 2nd half philosophy after they made adjustments. We did not... We continued to go student body right or left and they knew which side because TE was lined up on run sde. Once they adjusted, we have to. We have a good running QB. However no read option., maybe only a couple of option plays all day and 0 jet sweeps. 14 could have been used with jet sweeps here since 8 and 4 injured. In regards to passing game, I get 5 was not full strength as on bicycle after each series it seemed and 11 got injured... If you are not going to use entire field, especially middle of field, then you got to get creative in running. Made it too easy for their D to know what was coming.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

InFor6More

Unread post by InFor6More » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:14 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:29 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:21 pm
Well coached teams don’t make mental mistakes. Penalties are mental mistakes that are unforced.

You saw a well coached team today with one five yard penalty. It was the guy who will be a P5 coach next year.
Amen.

AppNC

Unread post by AppNC » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:07 am

Just a thought...for all those who are ready to throw the towel in for the season, please don't complain if you aren't able to get tickets for the remaining games. Let those who are going to support this team go and support them.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:09 am

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:02 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

Everyone needs to relax.
I hear you

There are real concerns ..... discipline and coaching are my concerns
Absolutely fair statement. Penalties and discipline are an issue. But I am very sure thst locker room leadership is lacking, despite what TV commentators like to say about certain players.

New staff, and coaches trying to establish themselves. Both will balance out
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:11 am

yosef69 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:39 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

Everyone needs to relax.
I agree. But I also think there are some warning signs that need to be paid attention.
Depending on who you talk to, the warning signs had been here before the season started.
The Appalachian State

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:16 am

It is my belief that every App on this forum supports the team. To imply otherwise is ludicrous ,in my opinion. Sharing postgame analysis from different perspectives does not constitute a bail out. I’m not happy that we’ve been , if only temporarily, knocked out of the position as the Sunbelt’s Kingpin , but I’ll be bleeding black and gold mixed with a little shine until I’m gone. Now back to the game after reviewing the tape ....their QB took care of the ball ours turned it over at critical times.He outplayed our guy at every turn. Our penalty situation was inexcusable.Peoples played his ass off. If we had played with half of the avoidable mistakes we win .But we didn’t. As to why , someone else has to figure that out. His name is Shawn Clark.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:42 am

This season is still pretty much a freebie unless something has changed. It sucks to lose and I wish we could win every game and win the championship every season but damnit sometimes the other teams are able to coach pretty good and sometimes the other teams have some talent. Hell Clemson isn’t undefeated and quite possibly they won’t win the ACC this year. I wonder if the Clemson sky has fallen? It was the end of the world last year after Stink beat us. Teams win and teams lose.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”