Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

What happened to our offense?

teaasu76
School: Appalachian State

Re: What happened to our offense?

Unread post by teaasu76 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:56 pm

Seems like we have not used the tight ends to attack the middle or at least clear a linebacker out of position for someone to run the slant in the space created. I think Gibbs and especially Pearson can make that catch in the seam.

trjinc@triad.rr.com

Unread post by trjinc@triad.rr.com » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:11 pm

Its called Coach Peterson. We ran the ball, threw wide receiver quick screens to the outside. Then in 2nd, we continued to try the run the ball with no success, but instead of mixing it up with swing passes to backs or the pros we threw the ball into double teams. Zack has yet to loom off a safety or go threw his progressions. He forced the ball in the second. We are to predictable. Peterson has to go! Bring back Taylor Lamb. I will take him with minimal experience to Peterson who is calling.plays ran in the 80s.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:20 pm

trjinc@triad.rr.com wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:11 pm
Its called Coach Peterson. We ran the ball, threw wide receiver quick screens to the outside. Then in 2nd, we continued to try the run the ball with no success, but instead of mixing it up with swing passes to backs or the pros we threw the ball into double teams. Zack has yet to loom off a safety or go threw his progressions. He forced the ball in the second. We are to predictable. Peterson has to go! Bring back Taylor Lamb. I will take him with minimal experience to Peterson who is calling.plays ran in the 80s.
Nobody's getting FIRED. Some adjustments might be made in the off-season but we have to give this Staff a chance. Our losses aren't totally on the Coaches.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:18 pm

I would hope Clark gets 3 years but I hope it is not based on making a bowl. 6 wins should be our bottom level. I hope anyway. I know it could get bad quick and I/we are spoiled from the last 30 years, but 6 wins with one fcs team win should not be our goal. If we play 4 p5 programs each year that would be acceptable. If we stick with the one p5 money game, one p5 winnable and 2 g5 games we need 8 win seasons. Yeah, probably a little spoiled...LOL

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:06 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:18 pm
I would hope Clark gets 3 years but I hope it is not based on making a bowl. 6 wins should be our bottom level. I hope anyway. I know it could get bad quick and I/we are spoiled from the last 30 years, but 6 wins with one fcs team win should not be our goal. If we play 4 p5 programs each year that would be acceptable. If we stick with the one p5 money game, one p5 winnable and 2 g5 games we need 8 win seasons. Yeah, probably a little spoiled...LOL
Clark is getting at least 4 maybe 5 years IMO unless there are cultural issues and/or player outlash (ala Matt Doherty at UNC). He is a former App player. He will be given more time than and "outsider". In addition, he has the support of a former legendary coach. I actually believe every football coach at any university should be given that minimum term unless you are walking into Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc. For football, it takes longer to develop the team as compared to basketball. You get two good players in basketball, you can win some games. In addition, this is the year of the pandemic. If no seniors come back, he will have a rebuilding year so to speak. If the team plays .500 or better on the rebuild that should be considered an outstanding job by AD. If they are do not, he may be given some sort of pass as it is a rebuilding year. So this year (pandemic) and next year (potential rebuild) are two years into a 4 to 5 year tenure. Also, given the financial impact of pandemic, I am not sure the university wants to be paying a coach that is not coaching anytime soon. I hope Clark does well and is here for many, many years.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

InFor6More

Unread post by InFor6More » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:49 pm

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:06 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:18 pm
Clark is getting at least 4 maybe 5 years IMO unless there are cultural issues and/or player outlash (ala Matt Doherty at UNC). He is a former App player. He will be given more time than and "outsider". In addition, he has the support of a former legendary coach. I actually believe every football coach at any university should be given that minimum term unless you are walking into Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc. For football, it takes longer to develop the team as compared to basketball. You get two good players in basketball, you can win some games. In addition, this is the year of the pandemic. If no seniors come back, he will have a rebuilding year so to speak. If the team plays .500 or better on the rebuild that should be considered an outstanding job by AD. If they are do not, he may be given some sort of pass as it is a rebuilding year. So this year (pandemic) and next year (potential rebuild) are two years into a 4 to 5 year tenure. Also, given the financial impact of pandemic, I am not sure the university wants to be paying a coach that is not coaching anytime soon. I hope Clark does well and is here for many, many years.
The problem with this line of thought is that we’re not a rebuild. They just need to find a way to win and if the coaches can’t out-scheme the opposition then this team has to become more disciplined on the field. I do agree with you though in that coaches do deserve 4 years when they’re working a turnaround or changing over the scheme. When it’s plug and play, you had better produce results pretty darn quick.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:44 am

If no seniors were to come back, on the offensive side of the ball you would have a total rebuild. It would be a bit much to expect just plug and play. On the defensive side, you are also losing a number of key players. Of course, the expectation is that some will return which would give some stability around the many younger players who have to step into more significant roles. I'm guessing the staff will be strategic in terms of who is invited back among those willing to do so.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:48 am

I don't get where this "if they are invited back" stuff is coming from. ALL seniors are invited to come back. Some will make a personal decision not to. But again, ALL seniors are welcome to come back if they want.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:01 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:48 am
I don't get where this "if they are invited back" stuff is coming from. ALL seniors are invited to come back. Some will make a personal decision not to. But again, ALL seniors are welcome to come back if they want.
Well, we already know a couple are not returning but if all decided to come back, then do we assume some will pay their own way? Otherwise, were do the funds come from to pay for everyone who wants to come back?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:56 am

hapapp wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:01 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Well, we already know a couple are not returning but if all decided to come back, then do we assume some will pay their own way? Otherwise, were do the funds come from to pay for everyone who wants to come back?
The Bedford Falls Savings and Loan.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:58 am

hapapp wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Thanks, i am not sure where all this coming back thing is coming from, its not a freebie and any one who comes back will directly affect a future developing player. It will have a cascading effect for a number of years.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:09 am

hapapp wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
The same place where we funded the senior baseball and softball players that wanted to come back. The same place we will allow senior Volleyball players to come back. The same place we will allow senior Women's soccer players to come back. It's all part of the athletic budget and part of the plan DG has in place. Where the money is coming from, I don't know exactly. But, I do know our athletics department will not allow "you're good, so you can come back! You're not as good, so good luck!"
tAPPedInSports.net

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:32 am

Maybe one of the best benefits of Covid?

Man how big of a deal would it be personally to not only get 4 years of education, but also 1 year of graduate studies. Doesn't APP have a 1 year MBA? For some of these guys that plan it well, it could pay off for the rest of their lives.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:41 am

I still find it difficult to believe that there won't be conversations with those eligible to return. While no doors would be shut, certainly the staff would be clear about their roles.

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:24 pm

Who stays and goes should be a good indicator of what is going on behind the scenes. Also, many of our seniors will graduate, we may have some transfer. I would think a positive outlook on the next season coupled with free education would be a strong attraction. Free education and a dumpster fire, maybe not.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:49 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
I get your point, but “if” everyone came back, which we know to not be the case. You are talking about an additional $900k is scholarship that has to come from somewhere. That is a tall order, so I believe that some guys will be told that there isn’t room.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:40 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:49 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
I get your point, but “if” everyone came back, which we know to not be the case. You are talking about an additional $900k is scholarship that has to come from somewhere. That is a tall order, so I believe that some guys will be told that there isn’t room.
Not happening. All are welcome back with open arms.
tAPPedInSports.net

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:05 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:40 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:49 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Not happening. All are welcome back with open arms.
Agreed. And rightfully so. I get the whole idea that it delays underclassmen that have waited their time., etc. However, All schools, including our conference competition, are dealing with same playing field. If their stars at whatever position wants to come back and the coach believes they are a good representative of the program, they will be welcomed. How would that look if we said no. That looks bad as to culture of the program outside looking in IMO (from someone that wants them to be welcomed back as we do not have many, if any, that will be an NFL or CFL roster. College football will more than likely be it for their football careers.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:12 pm

I’m dumb to this stuff, but I don’t think eligibility and scholarships are one in the same. I would think anyone who wants to come back is “eligible”, but the schools don’t necessarily have to allow it based on roster limits, much less scholarships. It would be a matter of making the cut wouldn’t it? I’m not saying I know this, but seems sensible... somebody in the know please clarify... Then again, what is sensible nowadays?!

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:14 pm

And I would think/hope that any recruits who have already been offered scholarships will be guaranteed...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”