Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Food for Thought

Bootsy
School: Appalachian State

Food for Thought

Unread post by Bootsy » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:07 am

It's early Thanksgiving morning and Mountaineer Football is on my mind. Just sharing a few thoughts with my fellow rapid App fans on this board. Feel free to agree or disagree; I love the banter and opinions shared here on YC.

The rationale for so many emotional responses we've seen over the past week is simple:
  • App rarely loses a game, so
  • The team (and thus, it's fanbase) isn't used to losing
Expectations are high for all involved. As they should be, given the program's championship pedigree. So it's natural to see real fans (like all of us) be a little emotional when our expectations aren't met on the field.

With last Saturday in the rearview, everyone can take a breath and reassess. We lost to an undefeated, nationally-ranked team. I'm sorry, but it's silly to expect App will perennially dominate all conference foes.

And to that point, don't we want the Sun Belt to earn a better national reputation? This is how it happens, friends. The level of competition is going up. And that isn't a bad thing.

The bitter pill here is seeing Coastal and Louisiana nationally ranked for most of the season while the Mountaineers are on the outside looking in. I don't like it any more than you do.

And while it's easy to blame the coaching staff, let's remember that they're still finding their way in the midst of this crazy season.It takes time to grow into these positions and gain trust while doing your best to deliver a high-quality product.

Case in point: I'm sure it's not easy for Clark to watch the O-Line struggle. But he has to let Cardwell run the show with limited oversight to allow the kid to grow into his role. That's part of good leadership. Show them how to do it, let them make mistakes, learn from those mistakes and grow.

So let's give Coach and his staff time to grow into their positions. It will happen.

My point is this: we are BLESSED to be rabid fans of this 6-2 squad, what with all of the challenges thrown at the staff and players this year. App State has a winning culture, a high-potential staff and continues to win on the recruiting trail.

So the sun will shine tomorrow and things up on the Mountain will continue to be like they've always been. Championship tradition doesn't die overnight, not with all of the positive signs we're seeing from the program.

And I'm very thankful to support this team along with awesome fans like y'all. Because no matter what, it is STILL good...to be...a MOUNTAINEER!!

Neer86

Re: Food for Thought

Unread post by Neer86 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:00 am

losing those two games was indeed a bitter pill to swallow. However, 90% of the football teams in this country would love to have what we have this season...6 and 2 with the two losses coming on the road to Top 25 teams, that coming with the third year of a completely new coaching staff.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Blackshirt68

Unread post by Blackshirt68 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:08 am

Drink said it, and I thought it was corny but it is the right way to look at this and any season: 0-0 Beat Troy!

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:29 am

To your second point, I hope we never get used to losing. I hope we can adjust and improve in those areas that need it while we continue to grow for the rest of this season.

Happy Thanksgiving!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:13 am

I thought this was going to be about food since it is Thanksgiving Day. Fake News Subject Line...
Well, my hopes on how things play out... I hope Coastal loses its two remaining conference games, we win out and get 3rd shot in SBC championship game. If CC does not lose its last two conference games , I hope Coastal wins out and goes undefeated..hopefully putting up 50+ on Liberty. This would put the Sunbelt in more of the news conversation at The Mothership.
Although we are supposed to be thankful for things given the day, I actually have a wish. I wish that we do not give up the obligatory opening TD on defense for the rest of the year..LOL
As it relates to App. St. and being thankful. I am glad I was able to watch one App. St. game live even it was a loss last week. Weather was awesome. Wearing shorts at football game in November.
Go App. St.!!
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:12 pm

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:13 am
I thought this was going to be about food since it is Thanksgiving Day. Fake News Subject Line...
Well, my hopes on how things play out... I hope Coastal loses its two remaining conference games, we win out and get 3rd shot in SBC championship game. If CC does not lose its last two conference games , I hope Coastal wins out and goes undefeated..hopefully putting up 50+ on Liberty. This would put the Sunbelt in more of the news conversation at The Mothership.
Although we are supposed to be thankful for things given the day, I actually have a wish. I wish that we do not give up the obligatory opening TD on defense for the rest of the year..LOL
As it relates to App. St. and being thankful. I am glad I was able to watch one App. St. game live even it was a loss last week. Weather was awesome. Wearing shorts at football game in November.
Go App. St.!!
Yessir! Thankful to have seen the Black and Gold in Huntington and Conway this year. Thankful that my freshman son is getting to see 4 games this year and enjoy App Football in what has been anything other than a normal Freshman Year on campus.
And, thankful that despite the losses, our program is still recognized as a winner. ESPN still has us #10 among their weekly Conference Power Ranking column among the G5. We are #26 in the SP+ Rankings and we are #31 in the CBS Re-Rank ahead of Liberty, NC State, Wake, Louisville, Missouri, GaSo, etc.
Last edited by WASU 93 on Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:43 pm

We are still App State. We are still good and we have the culture and expectations to stay good. When I transferred to App from Kullowhee Kittyville in 1974, I knew I had put my money on the right horse; and I still proudly have my money on that horse. Go App!

AppUSMC

Unread post by AppUSMC » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:14 pm

If you’re not “ok” with losing, it’s because you’re a winner, and winners hate losing. My guess is if you’re an App fan on this board, you’re a winner. One thing to keep our two losses in perspective is both teams we lost to are undefeated and ranked in the top 25. Life could be way worse y’all. I’m very proud to be a Mountaineer!!!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:53 pm

I was in school during the Maravich years and I saw a lot of losing....and even with Working....I like today’s whole lot better. Would I let Shawn Clark manage my clients money? No. Should he let me coach our team. Hell no. Sure I see things and question like most but I’ll leave the player decisions to coaches.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”