Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Louisiana at APP Game Day Thread

diehardapp18
School: Appalachian State

Re: Louisiana at APP Game Day Thread

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:09 am

t4pizza wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:59 am
Is it a toxic environment of reactionary takes or a realistic view of the struggles our program is facing and the concern about those struggles?
We are on our third coaching staff in three years and have lost three close games to three teams that have combined to lose one game. Not to mention playing in a pandemic with lots of uncertainty on a weekly basis. Is 7-3 somewhat disappointing? Yes. But it’s not indicative of the future of the program/coaching staff.

This team seems to make too many mental errors and I think it’s fair to say the coaching staff struggles with situational awareness. But remember Satterfield went 4-8 in the SoCon his first year.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:13 am

Until today, I've never seen a game where the opposition's coach did everything "under his power" to lose the game and we still ended up losing! Wow, just wow!!
Last edited by WataugaMan on Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:14 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:13 am
Until today, I've never seen a game where the opposition's coach did everything to lose the game and we ending up losing! Wow, just wow!!
Yea - I'm going to miss him.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:15 am

tm37766 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:07 am
AppStateMtneer wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:54 am
tm37766 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:46 am
I don’t want to watch anymore games this season, but my head will give way to my heart, and my heart will most likely meltdown again, and again if a bowl game awaits.

That’s the life of a fan

We could be ECU

You get to have it meltdown again next year then when we play EZU if we have the same OC

Thank you sir for that sober shot of reality.

My best friend went to ECU before they became what they are now— a struggling pile of crap. I’m sure I’ll catch hell for 365 days if we lose to them next year.

May we squeak out a win or two this year, and drive a stake in the heart of CRAPVID19.

Ugh.
Next year was supposed to be our “down year”.

We play:

Marshall
Miami
ECU

Out of conference.

Arkansas State
Troy
Georgia southern
Coastal
Louisiana
Ga State

In conference.

We might be a 6-6/5-7 ball team next season.
YNWA

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:18 am

Maybe he'll go for two, or give up two wherever he goes.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:18 am

I was at the game and we lost because:

Levi lewis ran for 100 first downs
We are a finesse team and suck offensively in bad weather
Cant kick a fg when it matters

The OC did not throw those INT’s, and the OL is good but not great. Top 10 in the nation OL, not this year, too many penalties and just not enough push.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:21 am

diehardapp18 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:09 am
t4pizza wrote:
Is it a toxic environment of reactionary takes or a realistic view of the struggles our program is facing and the concern about those struggles?
We are on our third coaching staff in three years and have lost three close games to three teams that have combined to lose one game. Not to mention playing in a pandemic with lots of uncertainty on a weekly basis. Is 7-3 somewhat disappointing? Yes. But it’s not indicative of the future of the program/coaching staff.

This team seems to make too many mental errors and I think it’s fair to say the coaching staff struggles with situational awareness. But remember Satterfield went 4-8 in the SoCon his first year.
I hope it isn't indicative of the future of the program, but this is how programs fall. Look at FSU, it is really hard to believe that they spent decades in the top 5 and won a National Title in 2013, played in the playoffs in 14, made NY6 bowls in 15 and 16 and now can't get out of their own way to win a game. That is just one example, there are plenty of others (texas, nebraska, usc, etc). Nobody on here knows our future, we all want it to be bright but some see very scary warning signs that others ignore as nothing. I hope it is nothing, but if any fan isn't at least concerned then they aren't paying attention. That isn't a hot take, it is just the truth. We aren't playing the way we should and it is concerning. As to the pandemic and uncertainty of playing each week, it sure hasn't stopped Marshall, CCU, ULL from losing a combined 1 game between them, so why it it an acceptable excuse for App State losses? We are a HEAD AND SHOULDER better program than all 3 of those schools yet we want to use COVID as an excuse when those other schools just go out and win. I refuse to do that. We played an entire schedule regardless of the situation, other schools found ways to win and we didn't. It wasn't the pandemic, it was poor execution form our very experienced team which I can only blame on coaching.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:23 am

diehardapp18 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:09 am
t4pizza wrote:

I hear all that and can somewhat agree with it. But when it comes to Tony Petersen should we just ignore him getting stripped of playing calling down at La Tech, moving onto ECU just to get stripped of play calling after year 2 and also being a part of arguably the worst period of ECU football ever? The last time he had any real success was in the mid 2000s for Christ sakes. Why can we not look at the last 7 years of Tony Petersen and decide it’s time to move on after year 1?

App91

Unread post by App91 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:23 am

Their LS was our MVP, two picks that should not have occured in pop warner and another fumble by a rb who has shown a propensity to put it on the carpet time and time again. Thats said, without a head coach time out blunder and a special teams abortion we should have won this game. Ever seen an App team do this? I've witnessed us quit in a game, over-achieve, get lucky and get caught in quicksand. This could be the worst loss in program history based on the inability to execute fundementals. That goes to the staff, not blaming players since we know what weve had all year.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:27 am

AppOrange wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:18 am

The OC did not throw those INT’s, and the OL is good but not great. Top 10 in the nation OL, not this year, too many penalties and just not enough push.
You touched on it a bit here but it confuses me regardless.

We have the look of a finesse team without the offensive speed and quick strike action of one. Yet we have all the weaknesses of a finesse team.

I mentioned it earlier, I feel like we have an identity problem. This is a team that thinks it’s tough and says it’s tough but I still don’t see it when we meet tough opponents.
YNWA

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:27 am

Relax guys the biggest problem we've had all year is not Coach, OC or the team. It's just our snakebit espn Curse.

TomA415

Unread post by TomA415 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:29 am

I think the worst part of two of our three losses is that we truly beat ourselves.

Marshall got close at the end but they outplayed us that day. No question about it.

These two Sun Belt losses sting more because we beat ourselves.

Coastal the second INT with 7 minutes left when we had a wide open check down up 2. We keep that drive going and at worst burn another few minutes and make them start deep in their own territory and make a game winning drive when they haven’t had to all year.Play calling was actually decent in this game but it really came down to turnovers. Not to mention we won both 50/50 balls with the Cam fumble and McCall fumble that we got.

And recency bias aside, tonight was probably the worst. The worst play calling we’ve seen all year (and we had some bad ones early on). So predictable on first and second down of every drive. Louisiana’s punt problems and taking the safety which was one of the dumber decisions I’ve ever seen and we’re still losing by two scores to begin the 4th. We couldn’t sustain any drives until the 4th and our defense was gassed from being on the field 70% of the time the first three quarters. They didn’t play a perfect game but got the stop we needed and we go down the field with 0 urgency and call two fades back to back to try and get the win. Offensive play calling was just putrid.

That felt good to get out.

On to Statesboro.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:30 am

Maybe this is SC's give a mountaineerna chance moment. But only if significant changes are made with self reflection of the future of the program. No doubt this is a program crossroads moment. I am NOT excited or confident on where we go. Show Me!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:39 am

Hard to blame Peterson when he is having to adapt play calls to the ups and downs ofnour O Line and the way Zac is throwing the ball. The games where our run game and QB are in rhythm, we can all agree that the play calling looks fluid.
The Appalachian State

TomA415

Unread post by TomA415 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:43 am

AppOrange wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:18 am

Our defense played okay tonight. Did we give up some bigger runs to him, sure. Were they great? No. But UL was 6/15 on third down tonight and at the end of the day we couldn’t score points.

Our QB did not play well tonight, but our OC did him no favors and was the much bigger issue. The most predictable play calling I’ve ever seen. Runs on what felt like every first and second down which led to our only passes in the first three quarters on obvious passing downs. Horrible clock management and no urgency in the 4th.

I hate to see people pin this and the coastal game on defense because they did MORE than enough to win. They weren’t perfect but it was more than enough. Our offense that returned 8 or 9 starting seniors depending on the game plan has been abysmal in all three games where we played opponents anywhere close to our talent level. Period.

TomA415

Unread post by TomA415 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:46 am

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:39 am
Hard to blame Peterson when he is having to adapt play calls to the ups and downs ofnour O Line and the way Zac is throwing the ball. The games where our run game and QB are in rhythm, we can all agree that the play calling looks fluid.
Hard to blame the OC? Really? Have you watched our offense this year?

Tonight was case and point of why our offense hasn’t played well against any of our decent opponents. See my other posts but running on first and second down almost every drive will set you up for failure. QB and OL didn’t play great but it’s way easier to rush the passer when you know it’s coming because it’s 2nd and 12 or 3rd and 6+. This is the most predictable play calling I’ve ever seen

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:00 am

Our defense wasn’t as great, but:

1. After going up 10-6 (with 26 seconds left( we pooched + jumped offside on the kickoff to give them the ball past the 40 (should have kicked it deep). Somehow, they ran the kick return and the next play (a 15 yard out pattern against soft prevent coverage) and then the clock was reset to 23 seconds after the clock operator has major issues starting and stopping the clock.

We ended up giving up three before half, that wouldn’t have happened if we kicked it deep.

We also had three turnovers in four drives, where our defense had to defend a short field. That’s when they had the majority of their success.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:14 am

1. Find a kicker
2. Find an OC
3. 2020 never happened and we never played VT

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:28 am

Find a kicker:

Are there any girls available from the soccer team?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:37 am

Imagine a fan base where the kicker of the team has scored the most points in Sun Belt history but they still think the team needs to find a new kicker...
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”