Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Key to understanding this season

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: Key to understanding this season

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:54 pm

I have wondered if he is injured. His arm or shoulder , he’s not making the throws he has in the past . In any event he has regressed.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:53 pm

After thinking about this for most of the day - I have come to the conclusion ---

"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:53 pm

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:34 pm
Two observations from 1st Q of games today
1. Western's offense looks more complex than ours. Just made FG. If freshman catches pass. Drive would still going. I realize the will be out manned by heels as game progresses.
2. Maybe Drink utilized our offense from previous years. I do not know. However, that offense is moving the ball against Arkansas. Both teams are lower level SEC teams with new coaches. So I guess talent somewhat similar. Better faking the run on read pass option even if they pass 100% of the time.

Both offenses look better at the actual execution than ours
Of the four new coaches in the SEC, Drinkwitz is the only one with a winning record, and you could argue that he inherited the worst job. We can moan all we want about how he left, but the dude is a great coach. If App had the same coaching staff this year as last year, we’d be undefeated. No doubt in my mind.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:28 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:53 pm
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
1. Western's offense looks more complex than ours. Just made FG. If freshman catches pass. Drive would still going. I realize the will be out manned by heels as game progresses.
2. Maybe Drink utilized our offense from previous years. I do not know. However, that offense is moving the ball against Arkansas. Both teams are lower level SEC teams with new coaches. So I guess talent somewhat similar. Better faking the run on read pass option even if they pass 100% of the time.

Of the four new coaches in the SEC, Drinkwitz is the only one with a winning record, and you could argue that he inherited the worst job. We can moan all we want about how he left, but the dude is a great coach. If App had the same coaching staff this year as last year, we’d be undefeated. No doubt in my mind.
I agree. He would call a better game.. In addition, the execution of plays. I noticed more read/pass option from Mizzou today. The may have passed most every time but the Lbs reacted even if for a split second. Althiugh our current OC may not call the flow of the plays like Drink would, we are not even trying to decoy anything. For App, the opposing D did not even have to guess what we are doing. For Western/heels game, western had the whole package. Basic handoff, read run options, options where QB and RB roll and option. Pass plays with the receivers in middle of field and their receivers at very different distinct locations on the field. Passes going to middle of field. It seems we have WRs running in sane general direction. On ZTs int last night where he threw down field and the CC int, those looked like double coverage due to fact another receiver was in general area so it became double coverage like. Back to Drink, as stated, maybe Dinkr ran our offense last year, just better. The offense I saw him trying to implement today, looks nothing like ours. They scored 50 today
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:32 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:

Dead on.

He’s 5-3 with an all SEC record and he’s got 2 left.

Mizzou won 3 SEC games last season.

Drink wasn’t the most likeable nor “App” guy, but he can coach his ass off.
YNWA

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:24 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:

My conclusion and agreement with your post, tells me it's a 2020 coaching problem. Ted Roof adjusted, others this year on the offensive side have not..... if we lose next week.... Doug will have to do something

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:35 pm

"Doug will have to do something"

Like what???
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:49 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:35 pm
"Doug will have to do something"

Like what???
I am guessing, Doug could talk with Shawn Clark about Christmas,or how the 2020 season went,or the budget,or the need for changes, or the good ole “ let’s keep on course” and make no adjustments :shock:

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:28 pm

You do understand that all of that is standard practice at the end of all teams seasons? - Your comment was --- "if we lose next week .........
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:54 am

If we lose this week there are no more excuses for the staff , or the players. They have underperformed and underachieved .But Shawn isn’t going to be fired or even told to make staff changes , if that’s what is being implied. If the next few years reveal the same results, and I certainly hope not , that’s a different story.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:01 pm

I get the sentiment against Peterson to a point. But ask yourself this. If YOU were given a job to manage a process or people, and you were provided limited resources and support to implement your plan for success, (i.e. off season in person meetings or practice time). Told that you must operate at less than 100% productivity (i.e. injuries). And then fired by management because the shareholders (fans), who know nothing about what you are actually working with, are calling for your head. how would YOU feel about getting fired?

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:20 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:01 pm
I get the sentiment against Peterson to a point. But ask yourself this. If YOU were given a job to manage a process or people, and you were provided limited resources and support to implement your plan for success, (i.e. off season in person meetings or practice time). Told that you must operate at less than 100% productivity (i.e. injuries). And then fired by management because the shareholders (fans), who know nothing about what you are actually working with, are calling for your head. how would YOU feel about getting fired?
It does seem that teams with new coaches have struggled this season compared to teams that had experienced staff. Although struggled in a few games, Heels offense has been productive. Their defense has been the issue. I think one of the overall issues for fans is that our expectations are unrealistic expectations given returning talent and it does not appear we are implementing similar things to last year in passing game such as read pass option (although we always seem to pass, it was a wrinkle). I flipped between Heels game and Mizzou game Saturday. Mizzou offense looks impressive yesterday. It does not look like our offense. They had read run/pass options. Maybe Drink just ran our offense (and not his current offense at Mizzou) last year better than we are this year. Who knows
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

ncman071

Unread post by ncman071 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:34 pm

...i haven't read all the posts here...trying to just answer the question by the original poster. There are lots of factors ...the injuries to receivers has affected his timing for sure...receivers not getting off breaks...the line honestly has been the most disapointing part of our offense. They are good at times and at times getting man handled...they are not dominating as expected this season. We look good against opponents we should beat and seem to have problems with identity against teams that are on the same level....marshall...coastal...and LLU....

I do not blame all of Zac's issues on him...3 coaching staffs in 3 years is rediculous...What I am greatly proud of is our Defense! Dale Jones has done a tremendous job and I see posters saying he's runnign prevent...no the hell he's not. Our defense has been terrific.

Our offense is not executing like they should and the injuries have plagued us. Zac has lost some confidence it seems....although like i said i think some of those over throws can be due to incorrect routes by new receivers and the fact our O line is not protecting as well as they should in pass pro...

but all in all....3 coaching staffs in 3 years...a first year offensive line coach....underperforming O line and no fans in the stands when we're used to 25k plus ....i mean all these play a role....Next year we'll be able to see how good/bad Clark is as a head coach

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:42 pm

Stuff like this is why I really wanted to have a good year. The opportunity.

YNWA

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:34 pm

I'd like to know the average time Zac has had to throw this year vs. last. Seems to me our pass blocking this season has been pretty dismal. I feel sure that he has had much less time without being "hurried" or sacked and that is probably contributing to the poor reads and inconsistent results and INTs..

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:48 am

YesAppCan wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:34 pm
I'd like to know the average time Zac has had to throw this year vs. last. Seems to me our pass blocking this season has been pretty dismal. I feel sure that he has had much less time without being "hurried" or sacked and that is probably contributing to the poor reads and inconsistent results and INTs..
I think it’s a combination. ZT has not been as sharp this year. He has not been able to fully run since his hospital trip and that makes us easier to defend. Receiving corps has had less consistency due to injuries. Offensive line is not pass blocking as well. But, that may stem from us being predictable on offense. We are predictable because we are often behind the chains because we commit a ton of offensive penalties.

We don’t consistently run bubble screens (outside of the Troy game), we rarely use the jet sweep, there is no screen game or wheel routes (Our 4 running backs have 10 receptions in 10 games). We don’t run a ton of motion. We also don’t run many quick slants. Most of our pass plays take time to develop.

We have had success when we’ve run tempo, but we rarely use it.

I watched Coastal’s game and that is the exciting offense that we used to run. Spread/option principles with a gashing and dominant rushing attack, with effective pass plays mixed in. BYU’s touted defense was guessing where the ball was going for most of the game.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:52 am

Concerns-the items that were glaring issues in the first game, penalties, fumbles, playcalling etc, are the same issues that we saw the last game, and every game in between except really for 1. Expect some of those at the beginning, but good coaches correct those mistakes over a season. For some reason, we have not. I am sure there is plenty of blame to go around. Really, the reasons do not matter, this is results based.
Last edited by App91 on Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:58 am

App91 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:52 am
Concerns-the items that were glaring issues in the first game, penalties, fumbles, playcalling etc, are the same issues that we saw the last game, and every game in between expect really for 1. Expect some of those at the beginning, but good coaches correct those mistakes over a season. For some reason, we have not. I am sure there is plenty of blame to go around. Really, the reasons do not matter, this is results based.
The reasons do matter. As it is the reasons that dictate the results.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:04 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:40 am
The biggest question I have is the why has Zac regressed so much from the first three years?

Three coaches in three years?

Fatigue?

Coaching QB/OC?

The true answer to that question will be the key for this off-season.

Broke my heart to watch him miss throws last night. Not how I want one of the best QBs we’ve had go out.

Good luck to him next week we’re going to need him to win against what we all know Sloans gameplan will be.
It really is odd to see a player regress as much as Zac has this year. I am sure having 3 coaches and 3 OCs in 3 years is a very tough issue to deal with as a qb, but it doesn't explain his poor decision making in games. I think an additional factor that you did not mention but might be critical is how much time is Zac spending in the film room and preparing for games week to week. To me the bad decisions in game are usually reflective of poor preparation. This is just my thoughts, I don't have any first hand knowledge at all. Every player I have ever heard speak on the matter always talks about how the game slows down as you gain experience. This is usually because of all the time spent preparing for different scenarios that will come up, as the years go on you have prepared so well that you are not surprised by things that happen in the games. I just don't see that in the way Zac has played this year. During the Troy game, a game that Zac played well in, it was mentioned that after the Coastal loss Zac 'spent more time in the film room and after practice with his receivers'. This really struck me as odd because it is my opinion that he should have been spending that 'extra time' doing those things all season.
Whatever the factors are that have led to his poor play, one thing is clear. The current offensive staff have done nothing to fix the issues or to game plan in a manner that focuses on what Zac can do well and minimizes what he can't. If he is injured, as some have speculated, then the staff should sit him because he is not benefitting the team. If he isn't preparing properly (and the staff should know this) then they should have sat him if for no other reason than to let him know it is unacceptable. If he is just struggling with our OC's game plan, play calls, verbiage, etc then the OC should change it or put in someone who doesn't struggle with it. At the end of the day, it falls on our OC to fix whatever it is that is ailing our QB. I have posted on numerous other threads about this fact, and I won't go on much further but we need an OC that can recognize a struggling player (especially one with the history that Zac has enjoyed) and find a way to fix it. In short, we need a new OC.

ClimbTheMountian

Unread post by ClimbTheMountian » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:21 pm

Dabo Swinney said a few weeks back in his weekly press conference that you cannot win championships without an effective passing game anymore. Alabama had to learn this. Drink was taking us in that direction. We seem to have regressed in passing game, and I understand we have talent that is injured or not playing. The passing scheme is way too simplistic with not enough receivers attacking a zone and minimal use of TE across the middle or in seam. Almost all our fan base recognizes these shortcomings. Hopefully Clark and staff can be truly objective of their approach and do like Bama and LSU and evolve.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”