Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Stink, Stank, Stunk, and a must win.

AppDub
School: Appalachian State

Re: Stink, Stank, Stunk, and a must win.

Unread post by AppDub » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:05 pm

Agreed

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:15 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:01 pm
appdaze wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:53 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:28 pm
appdaze wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:54 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:44 pm
I am just wondering how many of your guys who know all the "problems" and speculate on all the answers to resolve those "problems" have ever coached or played at a level above pee-wee, If you have been a coordinator or a head coach or have sat in on film sessions and game planning? If you have, please PM me because I would be happy to discuss football with you - If not, then you are just upset about how the season has progressed - All of us feel that way and I am sure the players and coaches feel so more than us.
Thank you for belittling people by making big assumptions about posters. Also, this is a fan forum, that is what fan forums do. Its not a very good way to look at things either. Just because someone hasn't coached something doesn't mean they know nothing and can't make an intelligent analysis about what's going on. No one is going to take you up on your dumb "PM ME" challenge. As fans we speculate and make comments about what is going on, that's how this whole thing works.

It would be a fascinating world if no one commented on anything that they weren't an "expert" on. 99.9% of human conversations would cease. Please don't sit back and belittle people just because they have an opinion.
"Either you are disciplined and do the little things right or you don't! That is what has made App Football exceptional. That is what "Today I Give My All" means. Giving your all is not poor preparation, turnovers, missed blocks. TIGMA is everyone finishing plays on offense and defense. TIGMA is not defenders using poor form and getting beat time and time again by a QB playing sandlot ball. I know these are all part of football, but exceptional teams minimize them and make them the exception. They are the rule for us this year."

You can call this statement an opinion all you want - I will call it what it is - Stupidity!!! - He is saying this about guys who have won 3-4 straight conference championships - Now, all of a sudden they don't give a shit - wake up - you are in a daze

So if you had an issue with what a specific person said why don't you quote them instead of making a blanket statement that isn't directly at them? If you had quoted that person and made comments with them directly then I wouldn't have made my comments. So when you have an issue with a person speak with them directly instead of making passive aggressive open statements.
Either you are one of those guys who sees all the problems and knows all the answers or you are not - you decide. I don't have the time nor desire to go thru and pick out every clueless comment -
What in the rambling drunk world are you talking about? You were just crying about other people and their opinions and challenging them to DM you to talk football as if you had all the answers and now you are telling me to decide if I am a know it all or not? Good sir get a hold of yourself and put down the moonshine jar. If you "don't have time" then why did you take the time to go back to that guys post and copy and paste a very small excerpt from his quite long post to put in a passive aggressive post towards him in which you wouldn't direct quote him. You clearly have plenty of time if you can do all that. You contradict your own statements. All I am saying is if you have an issue with someones comments to direct quote them. That is it. I'll leave all the answers to you since you have decided you have them all and everyone elses are dumb opinions and they should DM you for all the answers.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:11 pm

Underperformed. Underachieved.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:32 pm

Listened to SC's teleconference today, he stated that social media is not his friend right now, no doubt he's aware of the situation (so to speak).

Blackshirt68

Unread post by Blackshirt68 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:28 pm

Way over their heads. If you do as you did, you’re gonna get what you got. Adapt and survive. Talk of culture didn’t put a point on the board Friday night.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:17 pm

All the chatter and fodder aside. This is a must win game with nothing on the line but pride and payback. This is the rivalry game of every year and bragging rights over a scumbag of an opponent. If our guys aren't up for this game and perform to their abilities for this one they never will. With that said its just like all the others our guys don't make mistakes and capitalize on theirs it will be a sweet victory in a less than stellar season!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:39 pm

I’ve come to the belief that this game may reveal what we truly have , where the program is and is heading .

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:08 am

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:39 pm
I’ve come to the belief that this game may reveal what we truly have , where the program is and is heading .
You may be completely right about that, and it scares the hell out of me because right now I have very little confidence in a dominating performance.

clemmonsapp

Unread post by clemmonsapp » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:07 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
appdaze wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
I am just wondering how many of your guys who know all the "problems" and speculate on all the answers to resolve those "problems" have ever coached or played at a level above pee-wee, If you have been a coordinator or a head coach or have sat in on film sessions and game planning? If you have, please PM me because I would be happy to discuss football with you - If not, then you are just upset about how the season has progressed - All of us feel that way and I am sure the players and coaches feel so more than us.
Thank you for belittling people by making big assumptions about posters. Also, this is a fan forum, that is what fan forums do. Its not a very good way to look at things either. Just because someone hasn't coached something doesn't mean they know nothing and can't make an intelligent analysis about what's going on. No one is going to take you up on your dumb "PM ME" challenge. As fans we speculate and make comments about what is going on, that's how this whole thing works.

It would be a fascinating world if no one commented on anything that they weren't an "expert" on. 99.9% of human conversations would cease. Please don't sit back and belittle people just because they have an opinion.
"Either you are disciplined and do the little things right or you don't! That is what has made App Football exceptional. That is what "Today I Give My All" means. Giving your all is not poor preparation, turnovers, missed blocks. TIGMA is everyone finishing plays on offense and defense. TIGMA is not defenders using poor form and getting beat time and time again by a QB playing sandlot ball. I know these are all part of football, but exceptional teams minimize them and make them the exception. They are the rule for us this year."

You can call this statement an opinion all you want - I will call it what it is - Stupidity!!! - He is saying this about guys who have won 3-4 straight conference championships - Now, all of a sudden they don't give a shit - wake up - you are in a daze
Wow, and I felt so lucid this morning. I have enough on the ball to recognize that I am not a head football coach at a division one school or even a coordinator. I really would like to yield to the genius of such a learned individual. I agree that except for a few of the same mistakes over and over again in the only games we have played against passable competition, we would have an unblemished record. How heart warming. It is amazing how some really stupid people like myself can go through life with relative success.

I ask all of my employees and those I have coached and work with for excellence all of the time. Have we always achieved it - no - but by striving for it I have been able to work with some of the top people and programs in the country who innovate and find news ways to succeed. Excuses are not often part of our discussion. Any time we don't meet our own standards we use that to compel us to better results next time.

What I have found through my experience is that people in authority create an environment that breeds success. I want all of my staff to become successful leaders. If I have a poor program director the results of that unit are often mediocre or poor. Will some individual team members excel and will some results pass muster - sure - but the general trend tends to reflect the leadership that is in place. That includes my understanding that, in the end, I am responsible if I allow that substandard leadership to continue.

You take my "stupid" comments as an attack on our players. I do not attack players and believe we have some of the toughest, hardest working, overachieving players in the country. I love our players. Even with the best players outcomes will be unacceptable if coaching doesn't set the proper tone and offer the proper tools. Look over the mountains to Knoxville if you want to see what good talent and poor coaching can do. Your native UWV is coming out of the same type of long term mismanagement. I believe our players are pouring out their souls every time they take the field. I believe no one hurts more than them after a loss (though continued losses can cause numbness to the effect - which is the death of a program). I also believe their approach day in and day out - game in and game out - is based on what they are asked to do by leadership - their coaches.

We have a history of doing all the things I outlined in the quoted text. We have a history of attention to detail. We have a history of outworking the other guy. We have a history of innovation and adjustment to highlight our advantages. These attributes have allowed us to beat teams with equal and greater talent over and over again. Players don't create accountability, they carry out the standards of accountability expressed by those paid to instruct and mold them. Under three coaches we have created that exceptional, accountable environment - all accountable to each other. It is not there this year even tough we have a very experienced group of players.

Perhaps the one demeaning the players is actually the one who makes excuses for them rather then believing that they have it within them to excel and create success to a level it has never happened before. I think a head coach made that promise once and kept it.

As I have said, I like our head coach. I love that he loves ASU Football. Maybe he wasn't quite ready to be the guy. Maybe he simply trusted some folks to provide a level of expertise above their ability. I truly hope and believe that he will grow into the job. His hires and his teams performance are on him. If the outcomes are divergent from prior years (and I am not just talking about the losses, but about schemes, adjustments, the eye test and performance even in wins) he needs to look internally, ask why, and use his mentors and piers to help him evaluate options and changes that should occur.

I am sorry to extrapolate from my experiences, no matter how meager, to what I see with our program this year. I know my understanding of organizations and organizational theory is lacking from your perspective. Your superior coaching knowledge should allow you to find other perennially strong programs that are satisfied with what we have seen this year. I bet there is no negative discussion in Happy Valley this year. Nebraska seems to be cheering their efforts. Maybe you can highlight those strong programs that would accept your excuses and want status quo moving forward.

I am sorry for the length and snark in this post. I am many things -not all good - but dazed and stupid are not two of the attributes attached to me by those I know personally or professionally.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:55 pm

You can associate your comments and expertise as you see fit - however to say this comment isn't an attack on players just doesn't wash -

"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:28 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:08 am
Stonewall wrote:
You may be completely right about that, and it scares the hell out of me because right now I have very little confidence in a dominating performance.
Eh... maybe. Losing this game will suck, and I also have very little confidence in a dominating performance. However, one season, amidst a global pandemic, is a pretty small sample size to start extrapolating about the future. Remember, our last two seasons were two of the most successful in App history, and we still lost the the Stink.
Now, if we lose next year, and lost more than 4-5 games next year, and we don't see any offensive improvement, THEN we can start to really worry about the future.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:00 pm

clemmonsapp wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:07 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
appdaze wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

Wow, and I felt so lucid this morning. I have enough on the ball to recognize that I am not a head football coach at a division one school or even a coordinator. I really would like to yield to the genius of such a learned individual. I agree that except for a few of the same mistakes over and over again in the only games we have played against passable competition, we would have an unblemished record. How heart warming. It is amazing how some really stupid people like myself can go through life with relative success.

I ask all of my employees and those I have coached and work with for excellence all of the time. Have we always achieved it - no - but by striving for it I have been able to work with some of the top people and programs in the country who innovate and find news ways to succeed. Excuses are not often part of our discussion. Any time we don't meet our own standards we use that to compel us to better results next time.

What I have found through my experience is that people in authority create an environment that breeds success. I want all of my staff to become successful leaders. If I have a poor program director the results of that unit are often mediocre or poor. Will some individual team members excel and will some results pass muster - sure - but the general trend tends to reflect the leadership that is in place. That includes my understanding that, in the end, I am responsible if I allow that substandard leadership to continue.

You take my "stupid" comments as an attack on our players. I do not attack players and believe we have some of the toughest, hardest working, overachieving players in the country. I love our players. Even with the best players outcomes will be unacceptable if coaching doesn't set the proper tone and offer the proper tools. Look over the mountains to Knoxville if you want to see what good talent and poor coaching can do. Your native UWV is coming out of the same type of long term mismanagement. I believe our players are pouring out their souls every time they take the field. I believe no one hurts more than them after a loss (though continued losses can cause numbness to the effect - which is the death of a program). I also believe their approach day in and day out - game in and game out - is based on what they are asked to do by leadership - their coaches.

We have a history of doing all the things I outlined in the quoted text. We have a history of attention to detail. We have a history of outworking the other guy. We have a history of innovation and adjustment to highlight our advantages. These attributes have allowed us to beat teams with equal and greater talent over and over again. Players don't create accountability, they carry out the standards of accountability expressed by those paid to instruct and mold them. Under three coaches we have created that exceptional, accountable environment - all accountable to each other. It is not there this year even tough we have a very experienced group of players.

Perhaps the one demeaning the players is actually the one who makes excuses for them rather then believing that they have it within them to excel and create success to a level it has never happened before. I think a head coach made that promise once and kept it.

As I have said, I like our head coach. I love that he loves ASU Football. Maybe he wasn't quite ready to be the guy. Maybe he simply trusted some folks to provide a level of expertise above their ability. I truly hope and believe that he will grow into the job. His hires and his teams performance are on him. If the outcomes are divergent from prior years (and I am not just talking about the losses, but about schemes, adjustments, the eye test and performance even in wins) he needs to look internally, ask why, and use his mentors and piers to help him evaluate options and changes that should occur.

I am sorry to extrapolate from my experiences, no matter how meager, to what I see with our program this year. I know my understanding of organizations and organizational theory is lacking from your perspective. Your superior coaching knowledge should allow you to find other perennially strong programs that are satisfied with what we have seen this year. I bet there is no negative discussion in Happy Valley this year. Nebraska seems to be cheering their efforts. Maybe you can highlight those strong programs that would accept your excuses and want status quo moving forward.

I am sorry for the length and snark in this post. I am many things -not all good - but dazed and stupid are not two of the attributes attached to me by those I know personally or professionally.
The bottom line. Everything else is just an excuse. I know what I see with my eyes. Coastal and Louisiana had to deal with the same pandemic related issues that we did.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:13 pm

Tatedc wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:14 pm
Winning this game AND a bowl game are a must for this season to be considered anything but a failure.

But we cannot realistically like our chances. No team owns Zac Thomas like Georgia Southern. And they are actually a tough side this year. Lost by 2 to Louisiana (without any bad long snapper snapps or free safety points), loat to Coastal by 14. They are 6-4 and just beat FAU.

Regardless of lines, they should be favored slightly at home. They own Zac and we are in disarray. If we win it doesn't mean much and if we lose its devastating for the future of the program.

Good thing is they have alot of injuries and hopefully Clark will recognize the necessity to try Huesman.
The Stink owns ZAC??? Really?? Two years ago he was in the game for 2 or 3 plays before he got hurt. I'm so glad they owned him for that game. Last year we played in freezing cold rain and winds that were blowing up to 40mph vs a 95% running team. They don't own him at all.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:27 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
Dominating performance expectation... It is a rivalry game with both teams have winning overall records I believe. And. It is an away game. Limited fans or no fans, GA So. Players get to stay in their comfortable surroundings, etc.
I will take a win with any margin and move on to a bowl game!!
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:25 pm

Nobody has dominated GaSo all year. They were tied into the 4th Q with Coastal before giving up 2 TDs and losing by 14 on the road. They are undefeated at home and are fairly strong against the run. This will be another dogfight. Field position, turnovers and maximizing Red Zone opportunities will decide this one. I do like our chances!!!

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:38 pm

Wondering if Werts plays since he didn't play last game, but they won without him as well.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:50 pm

biggie wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:38 pm
Wondering if Werts plays since he didn't play last game, but they won without him as well.
Supposedly he didn't practice Sunday and the Coach stated they would probably start everyone who played last week. Werts has a shoulder injury from the Army game. The other QB has played at different times during the year and started this past Saturday. He did not pass well but that doesn't seem to matter to the Eagles. They want to 3 yard you to death and eat up the clock.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:09 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:28 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
Eh... maybe. Losing this game will suck, and I also have very little confidence in a dominating performance. However, one season, amidst a global pandemic, is a pretty small sample size to start extrapolating about the future. Remember, our last two seasons were two of the most successful in App history, and we still lost the the Stink.
Now, if we lose next year, and lost more than 4-5 games next year, and we don't see any offensive improvement, THEN we can start to really worry about the future.
I disagree. I have seen enough to be concerned.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:16 pm

JMappfan5 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:25 pm
Nobody has dominated GaSo all year. They were tied into the 4th Q with Coastal before giving up 2 TDs and losing by 14 on the road. They are undefeated at home and are fairly strong against the run. This will be another dogfight. Field position, turnovers and maximizing Red Zone opportunities will decide this one. I do like our chances!!!
Man I really like your optimism but turnovers and red zone opportunities have not exactly been something that we have done well this year by any measure. Really wish I could muster up your confidence level though, I really hate feeling down about the teams chances.

asucrazy

Unread post by asucrazy » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:31 pm

biggie wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:38 pm
They are saying he has a shoulder injury, and is day to day. The backup looks like a carbon copy of him. Maybe a little better passer , but a great open field runner. They still have a good running game without King and Kennedy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”