Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Tony Petersen stats at previous jobs

Apple@chin1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Tony Petersen stats at previous jobs

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:45 am

appstanding wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:18 am
The Rock wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:32 pm
I was skeptical of this hire. I still am, but before we resign the fact that this is a definite trend here at App, let remember this years challenges.
1) new staff. This is this staff’s first year together.
2) COVID.- this ties in to #1, interruptions or shortened spring and fall camps due to COVID could definitely effect how the staff gels, calls a game, Coach’s assessments of talent/personnel, and how that talent picks up the new staffs playbook.
3) injuries- out offense has been decimated due to revolving injuries. Our top WR opts out before the season, hennigan has been 50%at best for the last 4-5 games, our starting TE was out for several games leaving a severe drop off between #1 spot and spots 2-4 who have also gone down to injuries. 2 promising but freshman WRs getting lots of playing time, daetrich Harrington going down for be season, Marcus Williams jr being off the field most of the time.
Being a senior heavy team is great this year when you are healthy, but when this seniors get injured, their backups have little to no snaps under their belt; another thing we will have to remember next year.

I am not saying TP is the next Lincoln Riley or Joe Brady, and I was/am unsure about his long term success here, but there are a lot of factors working against him this year. In our 3 losses, we were in position to win them all and moved the ball before turnovers killed us. A former walk-on TE fumbles on goal line, ZT throws unexplainable interceptions, RBs can’t seem to hold on to the ball, missed FGs, an Oline that suddenly forgets how to pass protect are all execution mistakes that I’m not sure can be blamed on the OC.
Throwing 2 fades at the end of the UL game... totally on him
I don't buy any of these excuses. Peterson has had time to show us what he can do with that offense. As others have pointed out, his career track record has been mediocre at best. It's plain that even with largely similar personnel this is not the same efficient, disciplined offense App had last year and I put that on the coaching staff. Every team has had to deal with COVID. Good teams experience injuries and overcome. Teams with new coaching staffs can have great seasons too (Drinkwitz & company for instance).

If Peterson stays, I predict more of the same. We'll beat a number of inferior opponents and lose to stronger teams in our conference and out of conference.
There are no stronger teams in our conference. But, we’ve playEd down to our competition. It’s something that has to be corrected if we want to be top dog again. The coaching must get better. We’ve got the talent to be ranked wire to wire, year after year. We’re better than our record!

MtnMan14

Unread post by MtnMan14 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:54 am

appstanding wrote:
The Rock wrote:
I was skeptical of this hire. I still am, but before we resign the fact that this is a definite trend here at App, let remember this years challenges.
2) COVID.- this ties in to #1, interruptions or shortened spring and fall camps due to COVID could definitely effect how the staff gels, calls a game, Coach’s assessments of talent/personnel, and how that talent picks up the new staffs playbook.
3) injuries- out offense has been decimated due to revolving injuries. Our top WR opts out before the season, hennigan has been 50%at best for the last 4-5 games, our starting TE was out for several games leaving a severe drop off between #1 spot and spots 2-4 who have also gone down to injuries. 2 promising but freshman WRs getting lots of playing time, daetrich Harrington going down for be season, Marcus Williams jr being off the field most of the time.
Being a senior heavy team is great this year when you are healthy, but when this seniors get injured, their backups have little to no snaps under their belt; another thing we will have to remember next year.

I am not saying TP is the next Lincoln Riley or Joe Brady, and I was/am unsure about his long term success here, but there are a lot of factors working against him this year. In our 3 losses, we were in position to win them all and moved the ball before turnovers killed us. A former walk-on TE fumbles on goal line, ZT throws unexplainable interceptions, RBs can’t seem to hold on to the ball, missed FGs, an Oline that suddenly forgets how to pass protect are all execution mistakes that I’m not sure can be blamed on the OC.
I don't buy any of these excuses. Peterson has had time to show us what he can do with that offense. As others have pointed out, his career track record has been mediocre at best. It's plain that even with largely similar personnel this is not the same efficient, disciplined offense App had last year and I put that on the coaching staff. Every team has had to deal with COVID. Good teams experience injuries and overcome. Teams with new coaching staffs can have great seasons too (Drinkwitz & company for instance).

If Peterson stays, I predict more of the same. We'll beat a number of inferior opponents and lose to stronger teams in our conference and out of conference.
I agree with this. Everyone has had challenges to go through this year. Some like to point the finger at Coach Clark, but he’s a first time head coach and I’m ok with giving him some time to figure things out. Petersen has proven he can’t run an offense at several other schools during normal years. How many chances do you give a guy before you just realize maybe he isn’t great at his job? I just hope if I’m ever that poor at my job people continue to give me jobs just because I’ve held a certain position before, regardless of my track record.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:55 am

If you were to grade results vs. expectations going into the game and hindsight we'd see the following:

- Outperformed expectations: Ark St., Troy
- Met expectations: Cambell, ULM, Texas St.
- Slightly under expectations: UNCC, ULL, CCU
- Underperformed: Marshall, GA St.

Scoring 7 points against Marshall was the worst showing on the season with hindsight.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:02 am

appstanding wrote:

Exactly! Those excuses could fly at the beginning of the season. We are preparing for our last regular season game and it's the same excuses. Had we seen at least a change in philosophy on the field, then sure, I could still entertain those excuses. However, the play calling from game 1 to game 10 have been the same -- and that is what is inexcusable at this point.

Just ask the players.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:13 am

appstanding wrote:
The Rock wrote:

Most of those are facts. May not be excuses, but are certainly factors contributing to the overall offensive production. Drink did have a successful first year, but how many significant injuries to major contributors did we have? They also had the benefit of a full spring, summer and fall schedule. We have lost 3 games to opponents who are really good and have 2 losses collectively. I think its hard to definitively pin it on one coach. Also, remember next year how many veterans we are (potentially) losing. Pretty much the whole Oline,QB, 3 senior WRs, next year may be worse than this year, but do we not acknowledge that experience plays some role in offensive production?

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:21 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:02 am
appstanding wrote:

Exactly! Those excuses could fly at the beginning of the season. We are preparing for our last regular season game and it's the same excuses. Had we seen at least a change in philosophy on the field, then sure, I could still entertain those excuses. However, the play calling from game 1 to game 10 have been the same -- and that is what is inexcusable at this point.

Just ask the players.
So how do you propose we change offensive philosophies on the field in the middle of the season with 2-3 stringers on the field a large part of the time?
We have (backup) TE's who can't block well, or catch well consistently, injured receivers that get no separation when they are able to paly, freshmen WRs playing for the first time. ZT making poor throws/decisions (is this due to TP coaching, maybe, could be due to lack of chemistry with Wrs or them running wrong routes) best emerging RB out, 2-3 RB (WIlliams) cant handle more than 1 series a game. Sounds like you would need a wholesale overhaul of the offense to tailor it to what we have, but that cant be done mid stream.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:23 am

The Rock wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:13 am
appstanding wrote:
The Rock wrote:

Most of those are facts. May not be excuses, but are certainly factors contributing to the overall offensive production. Drink did have a successful first year, but how many significant injuries to major contributors did we have? They also had the benefit of a full spring, summer and fall schedule. We have lost 3 games to opponents who are really good and have 2 losses collectively. I think its hard to definitively pin it on one coach. Also, remember next year how many veterans we are (potentially) losing. Pretty much the whole Oline,QB, 3 senior WRs, next year may be worse than this year, but do we not acknowledge that experience plays some role in offensive production?
The point is there has been no evolution to this offense. You can factor in injuries, opt outs or whatever but the offense hasn't changed from day 1 until now. There has been no growth on that side of the ball. We do nothing to disguise our play calls, everything is so vanilla. I get we have had a revolving door at WR but Malik has not been featured nearly enough, Wells is open every play he is on the field, and Horn is a true vertical threat. So why don't we push it down the field consistently, especially against stacked boxes? Because our OC is too afraid to take those chances.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:27 am

I know there are several on here who get bent out of shape when I mention coaching in any of our backgrounds - I will say this without any hesitancy - When I looked back after several years of a head coach I clearly saw some (but not all) of the mistakes I had made. I had NO WHERE the responsibilities Coach Clark has and some of the mistakes I made I asked myself - "What the hell were you thinking?" - The man must have adequate time to get the pieces he wants ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:37 am

NavyApp wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:23 am
The Rock wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:13 am
appstanding wrote:
The Rock wrote:

The point is there has been no evolution to this offense. You can factor in injuries, opt outs or whatever but the offense hasn't changed from day 1 until now. There has been no growth on that side of the ball. We do nothing to disguise our play calls, everything is so vanilla. I get we have had a revolving door at WR but Malik has not been featured nearly enough, Wells is open every play he is on the field, and Horn is a true vertical threat. So why don't we push it down the field consistently, especially against stacked boxes? Because our OC is too afraid to take those chances.
True. I do believe we should do more sweeps, misdirections, or at least more motion to make that seem like a possibility. We have gone downfield quite a bit this year. It has been successful, but for some reason the Oline is having trouble protecting Zac and he don't have time to throw the deep ball, and other times he misses the open receiver and forces a deeper throw often resulting in a TO. Is that solely on the OC? Obviously the offense isn't what its been in the past, but I think that is on every position. The oline who commits penalties more often and cant pass protect, the TEs who cant block or catch well, RBs cant hold on to the ball, the aforementioned WR issues, QB decisions.

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:52 am

Just beat the Stink!

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:58 am

As a former coach(yes of a different sport but this applies to all) when you lose multiple personnel at the same position and this occurs at multiple position groups on the same side of the ball, you will experience inconsistent play from those positions and this will make that side of the ball inconsistent. This occurred to the WR group throughout most of this season as well as the TE group and to a lesser degree the RB. From a coaching perspective, you can only do with what you have...... the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th team guys while showing promise are not starters for a reason. This is not to say that they won’t be starters in the future, but right now they are/were not ready. Contrary to what some people think, there is only so much you can do “to hide” them. Opposing teams figured this out pretty early and when we went up against a team that could slow down our run game, they exposed our inconsistencies with the passing game, particularly when Virgil and Henni were not playing or not close to 100%. Hypothetically, Horn and Wells get open 1-5 routes and when Zac goes back, looks at his reads and he’s thinking is this the one time they’re open or is it the 80% they are not, he looks and takes a sack. Again this is a hypothetical example. It is my opinion that it is far less the OC’s fault than it is the multitudes of injuries we had on the same side of the ball that made us inconsistent throwing the ball effectively when Virgil and Henni were not up to speed. Put a different way, if a team loses its number one, number two and number three WR’s.... would you think that team would’ve successful throwing the ball over a season? Heck no. Do Championship teams incur the type of injuries we did ? Nope. Do I like that ... nope. Just how the ball bounces. Imagine CC losing their top 2 WR’s an top RB..... do you think they’d be 10-0..... say it with me.....Nope. I’d also say a new OC is not blameless either but just much less than the injuries.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:09 am

This board may implode next year once we lose 4 starting OL, 3 WRs, and our QB?

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:11 am

No kidding.

PhillyApp

Unread post by PhillyApp » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:14 am

AppFan11 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:58 am
As a former coach(yes of a different sport but this applies to all) when you lose multiple personnel at the same position and this occurs at multiple position groups on the same side of the ball, you will experience inconsistent play from those positions and this will make that side of the ball inconsistent. This occurred to the WR group throughout most of this season as well as the TE group and to a lesser degree the RB. From a coaching perspective, you can only do with what you have...... the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th team guys while showing promise are not starters for a reason. This is not to say that they won’t be starters in the future, but right now they are/were not ready. Contrary to what some people think, there is only so much you can do “to hide” them. Opposing teams figured this out pretty early and when we went up against a team that could slow down our run game, they exposed our inconsistencies with the passing game, particularly when Virgil and Henni were not playing or not close to 100%. Hypothetically, Horn and Wells get open 1-5 routes and when Zac goes back, looks at his reads and he’s thinking is this the one time they’re open or is it the 80% they are not, he looks and takes a sack. Again this is a hypothetical example. It is my opinion that it is far less the OC’s fault than it is the multitudes of injuries we had on the same side of the ball that made us inconsistent throwing the ball effectively when Virgil and Henni were not up to speed. Put a different way, if a team loses its number one, number two and number three WR’s.... would you think that team would’ve successful throwing the ball over a season? Heck no. Do Championship teams incur the type of injuries we did ? Nope. Do I like that ... nope. Just how the ball bounces. Imagine CC losing their top 2 WR’s an top RB..... do you think they’d be 10-0..... say it with me.....Nope. I’d also say a new OC is not blameless either but just much less than the injuries.
Tony Peterson, is that you? 👀
Clark for Prez 2024 💪🏼

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:25 am

AppFan11 wrote:
Hypothetically, Horn and Wells get open 1-5 routes and when Zac goes back, looks at his reads and he’s thinking is this the one time they’re open or is it the 80% they are not, he looks and takes a sack.
Again, this is precisely the problem with Petersen. This has been the case all year. If they are only getting open on 20% of their routes (which is a lot btw) and it's taking that much time for Zac to make the read, THEN DON"T KEEP CALLING THOSE PLAYS! Call something faster developing, something with less reads.

I could buy this if it happened for 1/4 of the season. But it's been the case all season. At this point, that's not an excuse any more. By now, its up to the coaches to put players in the right positions. That is simply not happening.
Last edited by AppStateNews on Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
tAPPedInSports.net

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:27 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:09 am
This board may implode next year once we lose 4 starting OL, 3 WRs, and our QB?
Therefore, what may we expect next season? 4-7, 5-6 or worse? If so, you're correct this board will implode.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:31 am

AppFan11 wrote:
You are so correct --- too many on here are so anxious to attach blame they do not understand the huge difference between reasons and excuses - they think any reason given is an excuse - Not so ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:42 am

It is nice to say that we should have called “other” plays to adjust to our personnel situation. Again there is only so much you can do “in season” that would utilize wrs differently. They have trained a set number of plays and that’s it.... and then it’s about executing those plays better than your opponent. This is where inexperienced players get exposed... going against experienced CB’s and Safeties.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:49 am

appvette wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:22 pm
I posted this over on the BGP 333 group and thought you all might be interested in seeing it.

Tony Petersen was offensive coordinator at 3 peer G5 schools from 2010 - 2018. He spent 3 years each at Marshall (2010-2012), LA Tech (2013-2015), and ECU (2016-2018). I looked up the teams' Points Per Game during his tenure at each as well as the 2 years prior and 2 years after the TP era to see how he affected each program.

1. At all 3 places, PPG dropped the year he joined and then rose the year after he left.

2. The average PPG at all three schools during his tenure was 28.33 whereas the average in the 2 years prior and 2 years after was 33.76.

3. Our PPG has gone 33, 37, 39, 32 with that last one being this year. That's not a terrible number but it is obviously a drop from our average of 35 PPG since 2015.

Riley was our #1 choice for OC but was stolen away by SMU. I'll let you be the judge on TP's performance before and during his tenure at App.
Your post was interesting so I thought I'd take a look at the numbers myself. What I found was not exactly as bad as it seemed. I looked at the 3 years prior to his arrival to have an equal time frame, but did not look at what happened after he left. Here are the actual numbers (rounded) for each school.

Marshall- 2007: YPG 413 PPG 25, 2008: YPG 330 PPG 21, 2009: YPG 349 PPG 22; 3 Year Avg YPG 364 PPG 23
2010: YPG 342 PPG 21, 2011: YPG 333 PPG 22, 2012: YPG 534 PPG 41; 3 Year Avg YPG 403 PPG 28

So at Marshall the offense actually improved under Peterson compared to the 3 years prior.

LA Tech- 2010: YPG 390 PPG 27, 2011: YPG 395 PPG 30, 2012: YPG 578 PPG 52; 3 Year Avg YPG 454 PPG 36
2013: YPG 366 PPG 19, 2014: YPG 407 PPG 36, 2015: YPG 483 PPG 38; 3 Year Avg YPG 419 PPG 31

The big year in 2012 really eschews the prior numbers here to show a drop. I looked at 2009 and that was similar to 2010 and 2011. Not sure what happened for them in 2012 but it was drastically different from the previous years. Otherwise they improved each year.

ECU- 2013: YPG 468 PPG 40, 2014: YPG 533 PPG 36, 2015: YPG 415 PPG 27; 3 Year Avg YPG 472 PPG 34
2016: YPG 467 PPG 27, 2017: YPG 426 PPG 25, 2018: YPG 414 PPG 23; 3 Year Avg YPG 436 PPG 25

His time at ECU was bad no question about it. It is interesting that he actually improved the offense in 2016 compared to 2015 (which was a steep decline from the prior two years), but their performance did decline the following two years.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:53 am

AppFan11 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:42 am
It is nice to say that we should have called “other” plays to adjust to our personnel situation. Again there is only so much you can do “in season” that would utilize wrs differently. They have trained a set number of plays and that’s it.... and then it’s about executing those plays better than your opponent. This is where inexperienced players get exposed... going against experienced CB’s and Safeties.
Wait, so you mean to tell me you think the playbook is set beginning of season and not changed throughout the year? It appears that is the case this year, but every other college playbook evolves throughout the year. They aren't trained on a set number of plays and that's it. The WRs are trained on the entire route tree all year.

Regardless, if that was the case, then it is on Petersen still for only giving the players long developing plays in his playbook....

I trust Clark and Petersen will make the changes. They are well aware of what is needed.
tAPPedInSports.net

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”