Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

SunBelt and Bowls

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Re: SunBelt and Bowls

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:30 am

I'm not saying I support this "playoff" because I would prefer really good bowl match-ups BUT who really thinks the P5s are going to relinquish ANY of their bowl-tie-ins? They would rather their (SEC,ACC,Big10) #6 team go the Gator Bowl (just an example) and so would the Gator Bowl - So, again, what is the resolution? - Or is it even possible???
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

t4pizza
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:34 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:25 am
True - but if all G5s agree it wouldn't be irrelevant - as mentioned = with the list above
1. Cincy
2. Memphis
3. UCF
4. Bosie St
5. Appalachian
6. BYU
7. ULL
8. Army
9. Navy
10. BYU

Would then all of these teams plus others like - SMU, Houston, ECU, Tulsa, Tulane, Marshall, SD and SJ States, Coastal, GaSo and someone from the MAC be irrelevant? - Who are they actually relevant to now - no one but us (G5)
I think you are just wrong about the belief that if we all went we all wouldn't be irrelevant. The VAST majority of the good G5 teams were ALL FCS when I was at App. Everyone left one by one because they all realized how irrelevant FCS was. As App continued to play FCS ball, I would convince myself that we were not irrelevant as I was able to scour the web and find nuggets of information about FCS. It was a lie to myself then as much as it is a lie today because FCS is irrelevant and if G5 had their own playoff, it would become irrelevant. It is essentially what the NCAA promised when it created the divisions, that it would be equal tv and exposure just with les budgets. Well, eventually everyone realized it was a lie and one by one they all left. Repeating history is never a good idea, especially when it took us 40 years to recover from the first mistake.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:38 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
True - but if all G5s agree it wouldn't be irrelevant - as mentioned = with the list above
1. Cincy
2. Memphis
3. UCF
4. Bosie St
5. Appalachian
6. BYU
7. ULL
8. Army
9. Navy
10. BYU

Would then all of these teams plus others like - SMU, Houston, ECU, Tulsa, Tulane, Marshall, SD and SJ States, Coastal, GaSo and someone from the MAC be irrelevant? - Who are they actually relevant to now - no one but us (G5)
Good point and if this was 15 years ago a G5 only playoff makes sense. Now that the talent gap between the 10 teams above and the middle to bottom of the P5 is so narrow or in many examples gone having a G5 only playoff is relegation.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:05 am

Again - I agree -- but what are we willing to accept? - What would you say if it was APP who went 11-0 --- won the SB conference - Beat 3 ranked teams - Finished as high as #9 in the polls (but wait, We (CCU) finished 12th in the rankings and what about ULL finishing 19th and having beaten #10 team who finished with 3 losses) AND we get Liberty for our bowl game???
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:08 am

kornegaylw wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:38 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
1. Cincy
2. Memphis
3. UCF
4. Bosie St
5. Appalachian
6. BYU
7. ULL
8. Army
9. Navy
10. BYU

Good point and if this was 15 years ago a G5 only playoff makes sense. Now that the talent gap between the 10 teams above and the middle to bottom of the P5 is so narrow or in many examples gone having a G5 only playoff is relegation.
I just think it’s unfair that BYU gets 2 spots in the playoffs

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:23 am

There is almost no way ever that any G5 gets into the final 4. Most people on here are adamantly against a G5 playoff as they (understandably) equate it to the FCS format which would ultimately relegate G5’s. What I don’t get is the final 4 or bust opinions. It’s a shame that winning a conference championship and playing in a nice bowl has lost its shine. We all know that basically only about 10 programs will EVER really have a shot at the championship. If they go to 8, 12, 16 or 130 teams in the playoffs it will come down to the usual suspects. I kind of like the idea of matching the best remaining G5 teams against each other in a good bowl. The key to most of the issue is getting rid of the whole tie-ins deal. If it stays at 4 for the championship start moving down the list- 5 v 6, 7 v 8, etc for the next tier like the Orange, Fiesta, and so on. If App goes undefeated and is ranked 8th we get the number 7 team in a big bowl. We would not be in the playoffs obviously due to what would ultimately include 4 or 5 wins in conference against trash but maybe we play someone like Georgia in the Peach Bowl. Not bad.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:29 am

That's a good idea - I like the idea of G5 winners playing each other in a top bowl - again which P5 and Bowl Site Committee would go for that?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

GCappfan

Unread post by GCappfan » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:31 am

I agree with no G5 playoff. In a perfect world we go undefeated next year and get a NY6 bowl but we will never get an invite to the CFP as it is now. Dont take this the wrong way but weve hit our ceiling unless 1 of 2 things happen. 1) We get an invite to a P5 conf (99.99% not gonna happen because of size, revenue, location, TV market, and other sports). 2) The will of the CFP commitee changes and they have an 8 team playoff. Realistically that is the only way our ceiling moves. Compared to a G5 playoff im content with going 13-0 or 12-1 and finishing ranked because as soon as you say we are doing a G5 playoff the AP and Coaches polls say well these polls are only for P5s and independents and guess what youre back to 1-AA

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:37 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:05 am
Again - I agree -- but what are we willing to accept? - What would you say if it was APP who went 11-0 --- won the SB conference - Beat 3 ranked teams - Finished as high as #9 in the polls (but wait, We (CCU) finished 12th in the rankings and what about ULL finishing 19th and having beaten #10 team who finished with 3 losses) AND we get Liberty for our bowl game???
I would say we had the greatest season in App State Football history and that the national football media and football fans know who we are and have great respect. I would also hope that it serves as yet another example of a reason to expand the playoffs and give the "little guys" a chance. But I would not want to take a step backwards and relegate us to a "lesser" playoff system. Been there, done that, got the trophy and t-shirt, it was a good time but I don't want to do it again.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:47 am

t4pizza wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:37 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:05 am
I would say we had the greatest season in App State Football history and that the national football media and football fans know who we are and have great respect. I would also hope that it serves as yet another example of a reason to expand the playoffs and give the "little guys" a chance. But I would not want to take a step backwards and relegate us to a "lesser" playoff system. Been there, done that, got the trophy and t-shirt, it was a good time but I don't want to do it again.
I think it was brought up initially our reason for moving up was the potential for P5/G5 split. So we would not be in #3 spot FCS when that went down. Until that happens we will only have potential for a NY6 no potential for ANY G5 school to every expect a playoff bid regardless of record or SOS or any key metric. CFP will make sure only P5 gets in forever!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:17 pm

I 150% agree, a G5 playoff turns us back into 1-AA. That is the dumbest thing they/we could do. The best option would be to let playoff pressure expand to 8 teams and get a G5 guaranteed spot. All P5 Conf champs and top G5 conf champ guaranteed with 2 at-large.

Once you go to G5 playoff you give up all relevance.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:28 pm

A G5 playoff is a slippery slope. Basketball would never accept a mid-major tournament.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:42 pm

JMappfan5 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:58 am
No G5 playoff please. I wouldn't mind seeing the 4 G5 Conf Champs that did not earn NY6 game, match-up in Bowl Games. If we can't get a legitimate shot at a P5. Just need better Bowl tie-ins.
Exactly my friend.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:52 pm

Another listing of the bowl match ups:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ighlights/

The MB is tagged as the worst.

NashvilleNeer

Unread post by NashvilleNeer » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:35 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:23 am
G5 playoff =FCS/1AA .No thanks.
Correct. Thank you. I don't know why people don't understand this. You might as well go back to FCS if we create a G5 playoff. While we already have a .05% chance of a national title as it currently stands, if you create a G5 playoff, that puts that at 0% so I don't see any benefit for any of the G5 programs to do that. The G5 programs need a more fluid schedule to be able to schedule who they want at the end of the year and the bowl games need to be better. point blank. Bowl matchups for top G5 teams are a complete joke.

NDavidsonApp

Unread post by NDavidsonApp » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:54 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:33 pm
I see the future a but differently b/c I think the NCAA is going to witness the general fatigue of seeing the same teams in the CFP so they actually up the CFP to 8 to appease the masses.

So...8 team playoff
Teams 1-5: P5 conference champ
Team 6-7: Best G5 Conf Champs
Team 8: At large P5 bid for best P5 that didnt win their conference.

Round 1 games are played regionally
Round 2 games are played in a super regional
Title game is played wherever.

This gives conferences legitimacy, only adds 1 additional game to a teams schedule and is both equal and equitable.
The NCAA does not have oversight of the CFP. The highest football champion recognized by the NCAA is the FCS Championship.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:31 pm

The Power5 has a monopoly. Ain’t nobody else ever getting in.

festus105

Unread post by festus105 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:06 pm

I just hate that our bowl is in the afternoon and not on during prime time. It's the only bowl game scheduled for today. But I guess this bowl takes a back seat to basketball too.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:15 pm

No argument with any of you guys - Another what-if --- It has been rumored that the P5 has "supposedly" floated the idea of breaking away from the NCAA and doing their own thing - What happens then? - Look all the G5s can do is request more but they have no power - Unlike basketball where the mid-majors absolutely have power ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:49 pm

festus105 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:06 pm
I just hate that our bowl is in the afternoon and not on during prime time. It's the only bowl game scheduled for today. But I guess this bowl takes a back seat to basketball too.
It would be competing against NFL football. Viewership was going to be low anyway. Do not need NFL competition. A Monday afternoon slot means we are only competing against General Hospital and The Young and the Restless. 😂
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”