Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Decision Announcements

T-Dog

Re: Decision Announcements

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:45 pm

NavyApp
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by NavyApp » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:50 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:45 pm
YEEEESSSSSSSSS MEEEECHHHHH!!!!!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!
FREQS AND GEEKS!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:19 pm

With Taylor announcing here is what I have:

For those who are keeping tabs is this sounding correct?

Not coming back
Ryan Neuzil- Announced
Noah Hannon- Announced
Zac Thomas- Announced
Shemar Jean-Charles- Announced

Returning
Corey Sutton- Announced
Thomas Hennigan- Announced
Caleb Spurlin- Announced
Demetrius Taylor- Announced
Baer Hunter- Fully expected to return but just no announcement yet.

Unknowns
Shaun Jolly- Needs to return. Fringe draft pick who needs to come back.

Malik Williams- Hearing buzz he is coming back but no announcement yet.

Marcus Williams- I have no clue and don't think I have seen anything.

Kaiden Smith- Appears it could go either way but I don't know.

Jalen Virgil- Hearing buzz that he may return or grad transfer. Anyone know either way for sure?

Mike Evans- Hearing it could go either way

Jacob Huesman- I suspect he is going but not sure

Cole Garrison- Have not seen confirmation but I am assuming he is gone since he is in medical school.

Tim Frizzell- I could see any outcome here. You guys agree?

Chandler Staton- No clue on his status

Tommy Dawkins- Not sure on his status. Would love to get him back though. Underrated player.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:23 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Yes, Yes, Yesssss!!!

GO APPS!!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:54 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:01 pm
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:15 am
I apologize if this had already been covered, but how does 4+ players returning affect incoming freshmen numbers? If they are red shirted, do their scholarships count against our roster limit? I know we had one gray shirt and DBG is leaving, but seems like that still puts us over the limit by two.
Players taking an extra year do not count against the 85 limit.

From the sound of things, though, that may not be the case in future years (say if, just to pick a name, Ryan Huff were to return for an extra year in '22).
That will be interesting because they said every player does not count this year so you have 5 classes of players on campuses this year whose 2020 supposedly did not count. If a player who did not redshirt wants to return in 2023 or 2024 would the NCAA still hold that against you? This is why the rule should have only been made for seniors or anyone who just did not play at all or opted out for half or more of their season due to virus. I really think they should have allowed for seniors last year to return who wanted to that did not get a legit chance at NFL workouts and wanted it. This is a slippery slope and it was not precise enough. What if Christian Horn is willing to take a redshirt next year and then still have 4 years to play? I don't know if these issues will pop up in 4 years from now but they could.

Neer86

Unread post by Neer86 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:00 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:50 pm
T-Dog wrote:
YEEEESSSSSSSSS MEEEECHHHHH!!!!!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!

the meech, the meech, the meech is back!

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:21 pm

2021 looking better all the time.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:54 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:54 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
I apologize if this had already been covered, but how does 4+ players returning affect incoming freshmen numbers? If they are red shirted, do their scholarships count against our roster limit? I know we had one gray shirt and DBG is leaving, but seems like that still puts us over the limit by two.

From the sound of things, though, that may not be the case in future years (say if, just to pick a name, Ryan Huff were to return for an extra year in '22).
That will be interesting because they said every player does not count this year so you have 5 classes of players on campuses this year whose 2020 supposedly did not count. If a player who did not redshirt wants to return in 2023 or 2024 would the NCAA still hold that against you? This is why the rule should have only been made for seniors or anyone who just did not play at all or opted out for half or more of their season due to virus. I really think they should have allowed for seniors last year to return who wanted to that did not get a legit chance at NFL workouts and wanted it. This is a slippery slope and it was not precise enough. What if Christian Horn is willing to take a redshirt next year and then still have 4 years to play? I don't know if these issues will pop up in 4 years from now but they could.
The problem is that a player in an App State program played a full season, a player at UNCC, the Mountain West or the PAC12 played 5-7 games, and players at UMass and a few others played 4 games or less. If you make it seniors only, a lot of underclassman would have burned a year of eligibility on half a season.

Leave it to the NCAA to have a one and done issue in basketball and a 5/6 year issue in all other sports.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:05 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:54 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

The problem is that a player in an App State program played a full season, a player at UNCC, the Mountain West or the PAC12 played 5-7 games, and players at UMass and a few others played 4 games or less. If you make it seniors only, a lot of underclassman would have burned a year of eligibility on half a season.

Leave it to the NCAA to have a one and done issue in basketball and a 5/6 year issue in all other sports.
I had thought about that as well. The best way is probably to say if you did not play in 2020 that you can freely come back or get the extra year (underclassmen as well) but everyone else should move on. I wonder how long they will allow teams over 85?

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:23 pm

Frizzell back.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:34 pm

With all of these guys returning, this may be the best App State team ever assembled. I was always worried that 2021 would be a tough year because we were scheduled to lose so many big time players, now I can't wait for the season to begin because we should be loaded. My only real concern is our OC, but I am hopeful that he will prove me wrong.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:12 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:34 pm
With all of these guys returning, this may be the best App State team ever assembled. I was always worried that 2021 would be a tough year because we were scheduled to lose so many big time players, now I can't wait for the season to begin because we should be loaded. My only real concern is our OC, but I am hopeful that he will prove me wrong.
All the teams we face will be loaded as well. The off season matters most. Ready to see everyone putting in the S&C work and Spring Ball effort to dominate the SBC in the Fall. My wish for 2021 is to see and win the conference championship in Boone next year. Merry Christmas Everyone.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:15 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:05 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

I had thought about that as well. The best way is probably to say if you did not play in 2020 that you can freely come back or get the extra year (underclassmen as well) but everyone else should move on. I wonder how long they will allow teams over 85?
I'm guessing for the next 4 years. In retrospect, they probably should have put a game limit on this. But, it also affects all other sports, so it may be tough to legislate.
My guess is that they never thought they'd have teams playing 12 games this year or that it was a negotiation point to get skeptics to move forward. At this point, it's water under the bridge and while it will impact incoming classes, it's great that players who have already graduated to be able to work on their Masters degrees. It's certainly going to put an asterisk on career records.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:04 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:15 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:05 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

I'm guessing for the next 4 years. In retrospect, they probably should have put a game limit on this. But, it also affects all other sports, so it may be tough to legislate.
My guess is that they never thought they'd have teams playing 12 games this year or that it was a negotiation point to get skeptics to move forward. At this point, it's water under the bridge and while it will impact incoming classes, it's great that players who have already graduated to be able to work on their Masters degrees. It's certainly going to put an asterisk on career records.
That is all very true. You could put a mark anyway on the FBS and FCS era or the fact that players can still redshirt when they play 4 games now. It use to be just 3 games and had to be early in the season. Peoples' first touchdown came in a late game his first year. That could not have happened even 5-6 years ago.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:17 am

I know this may sound a bit harsh but what if a school had a huge senior class with lots of guys who barely play? Is the school obligated to paying for everyone who wants to return? I’ve asked this before but I don’t recall a definitive answer- if say, 15 guys return but all graduated must they all enroll in graduate school? And if that’s the case do they have to qualify? What if we have a guy who finishes this Spring one class shy of graduating and wants to return for his 5th year what are his academic requirements? Does he take additional classes for a secondary degree? Can he, in essence graduate in the fall of the added year then leave after playing football?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:31 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:17 am
I know this may sound a bit harsh but what if a school had a huge senior class with lots of guys who barely play? Is the school obligated to paying for everyone who wants to return? I’ve asked this before but I don’t recall a definitive answer- if say, 15 guys return but all graduated must they all enroll in graduate school? And if that’s the case do they have to qualify? What if we have a guy who finishes this Spring one class shy of graduating and wants to return for his 5th year what are his academic requirements? Does he take additional classes for a secondary degree? Can he, in essence graduate in the fall of the added year then leave after playing football?
You get into a slippery slope with that. You aren’t required to oblige the extra year but it’s bad optics if you don’t. Having said that. It takes a big commitment from a guy wanting to take advantage of that extra year. Sure, as adults, we see it as a gift of more free education. But it’s also one more year of morning weight lifting sessions, study halls, practice, class, film sessions. Aside from that, they have to have the grades to get into a grad school. So you are typically going to have guys that are just done with it all.

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:37 am

Baer Hunter announced this morning that he is coming back! #BULLS
Give Em Hell!!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:18 am

87ASUgrad wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:37 am
Baer Hunter announced this morning that he is coming back! #BULLS
More Good News and Joy! Replacing only 2 on OL for 2021. Ready to see Damion Daley and Luke Smith step up for Ryan Neuzil and Noah Hannon.

Hardy + Daley + Smith + Hunter + Hodges = 2021 YEAR OF THE BULLS!
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:24 am

I think more than ever that “Back in Black” is appropriate for the 2021 intro song. And all those that return should lead everyone out of the tunnel.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:31 am

Great Christmas presents. Hopefully we get some more gifts before the new year.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”