Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Decision Announcements

appstate77
School: Appalachian State

Re: Decision Announcements

Unread post by appstate77 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:20 am

We will also be a tough out.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:33 am

I know we have debated stars and recruiting rankings to death but seeing that DBG is gone it’s got me thinking. Can anyone list out the top 10 guys we have had at App based on recruiting or even as transfers and also tell what they did while on the roster? I know we had a former 4 star guy transfer here years ago but he barely played. DBG was probably our most hearalded QB recruit and now he’s gone. To me that list would be an interesting read. Sorry to put the question here but I didn’t want to be the guy to start another thread similar to the other 10 just like it.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:39 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:33 am
I know we have debated stars and recruiting rankings to death but seeing that DBG is gone it’s got me thinking. Can anyone list out the top 10 guys we have had at App based on recruiting or even as transfers and also tell what they did while on the roster? I know we had a former 4 star guy transfer here years ago but he barely played. DBG was probably our most hearalded QB recruit and now he’s gone. To me that list would be an interesting read. Sorry to put the question here but I didn’t want to be the guy to start another thread similar to the other 10 just like it.
If you go the 24/7 and App recruiting, the Freshmen are listed at the bottom by rating.

https://247sports.com/college/appalachi ... l/Commits/

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:13 am

If you look at the list, it is mostly made up of new recruits (16 of the top 20 from 2019 and on with 3 of the top 5 in this class) so we obviously do not know how they will turn out. However, the highest rated recruit ever (DGB) is gone now without ever making a splash and the only 3 players on the list that have completed their careers by now were hardly superstar, in fact I think Jaylan Barbour is the only one to actually play any meaningful snaps at App. This list is just recruits from high school so it doesn't include any transfers like Washington (I think that was his name) form LSU back in the FCS days. The number of new recruits on that list is very exciting for the future of the program, however that excitement is held in check by the lack of results from the previous highly rated recruits. We really do seem to do best with the hard working overlooked player that has a chip on his shoulder.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:37 am

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:13 am
If you look at the list, it is mostly made up of new recruits (16 of the top 20 from 2019 and on with 3 of the top 5 in this class) so we obviously do not know how they will turn out. However, the highest rated recruit ever (DGB) is gone now without ever making a splash and the only 3 players on the list that have completed their careers by now were hardly superstar, in fact I think Jaylan Barbour is the only one to actually play any meaningful snaps at App. This list is just recruits from high school so it doesn't include any transfers like Washington (I think that was his name) form LSU back in the FCS days. The number of new recruits on that list is very exciting for the future of the program, however that excitement is held in check by the lack of results from the previous highly rated recruits. We really do seem to do best with the hard working overlooked player that has a chip on his shoulder.
Washington had some injury issues that kept him from making a huge impact, though he did play a fair amount. He was never the player that the board expected him to be when he transferred in, but wasn't a bench warmer, either.

I seem to recall that he had some "motivation" issues, but worked through them.
Give 'em hell!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:17 pm

Yes, it was Tim (I believe) Washington - he made some big plays but as was stated he had injury problems - If you go back and look at the Championship game against Delaware and when the Hens had the ball on the 1 yard line and 4th down and Flacco went back to pass it was Washington who chased him all over the field and forced a bad throw - we took over the ball and went 99 yards for TD to make it 14-0 ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:59 pm

Good information. I was thinking about the receiver who transferred from, I believe Oregon a few years ago. Wasn’t he originally ranked a 4 star? Never really played much here. I know he hasn’t played yet but how highly was the Virginia Tech transfer eligible this year? Was also curious about Sutton. Since he originally went to a P5 I figured he was probably fairly highly rated. Surely over the past 10 years we have had some hyped guys sign who never translated to quality PT. Reinforces the quality of our recruiting in that we seem to find the hidden gems.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:23 pm

Tacoi Sumler was also a 4* WR who transferred from Oregon. He had a significant problem with injuries also and never really became a go-to guy.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:28 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:02 pm
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:53 pm
Just curious if anyone knows how App St super seniors coming back compares to other P5 and G5. We had many players cone back that made significant contributions ( Sutton 2019). Are other teams getting as many starters or significant contributors as we are?
There's an ESPN+ article out today (if you have the ESPN+ subscription, you can view it) that goes over returning production.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/i ... ction-2021

App - 40th (8th in defense)

Louisiana - 1st (including almost all their defense)
Miami - 3rd (almost all their offense)
Coastal - 21st
Georgia State - 23rd
Texas State -35th (same percentage as App)
ECU - 48th
Georgia Southern - 119th
Marshall - 112th
It would be pretty obvious that with the loss of Zac, one of the most productive QBs at App and SBC, we take a serious hit on the statistics. If we can, replace him effectively with Brice we have a tremendous upside otherwise. (Note: Ohio State did well with Fields transferring in, LSU with Burrow, it can happen and we are in an excellent position to take advantage this year)

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:00 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:28 pm
T-Dog wrote:
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Just curious if anyone knows how App St super seniors coming back compares to other P5 and G5. We had many players cone back that made significant contributions ( Sutton 2019). Are other teams getting as many starters or significant contributors as we are?
There's an ESPN+ article out today (if you have the ESPN+ subscription, you can view it) that goes over returning production.

Coastal - 21st
Georgia State - 23rd
ECU - 48th
Georgia Southern - 119th
Marshall - 112th
It would be pretty obvious that with the loss of Zac, one of the most productive QBs at App and SBC, we take a serious hit on the statistics. If we can, replace him effectively with Brice we have a tremendous upside otherwise. (Note: Ohio State did well with Fields transferring in, LSU with Burrow, it can happen and we are in an excellent position to take advantage this year)
Exactly. Much of our season will come down to whether (and how fast) we can get good QB play.

OL snaps also weigh heavily in that formula, and with Hannon, Neuzil and Garrison we lose a lot there as well. However I feel pretty good about who we have available to replace them.

Another thing in our favor is that we have Sutton coming back, which isn't reflected assuming the baseline stats are for 2020 only.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:41 am

Just because he posted it...

appstate5

Unread post by appstate5 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:37 pm

Someone please post for us NON-Tweeters.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:45 pm

appstate5 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:37 pm
Its a video.. can't post it without linking it with the Tweet.. unless you download, re-upload it somewhere else, and post it. Which isn't cool unless you get Corey's permission.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:12 pm

Watching those highlights...damn he's a good receiver. I feel a monster year coming up for him.
Give 'em hell!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:43 pm

appstate5 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:37 pm
It's just a highlight video. I believe he has shared it before.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:05 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:28 pm
T-Dog wrote:
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:

Coastal - 21st
Georgia State - 23rd
ECU - 48th
Georgia Southern - 119th
Marshall - 112th
It's hard not to be optimistic since we've traded Peterson for Ponce. Thank god Illinois bailed us out of that staffing blunder.

GoBoone

Unread post by GoBoone » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:38 pm

Amen Gonzo

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:38 am

I hope the press and App's opponents completely underestimate them. We've always played at another level with that chip on our shoulder.

Seeing Coastal and ULL get top 25 preseason rankings and love from the press will give our squad exactly what it needs: plenty of "bulletin board material" to mull over and tons of motivation to come out blazing this season.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”