Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Zac Gone

BambooRdApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Zac Gone

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:58 am

I believe AE was one of the best in App St. history. To say an NFL coach sabotaged someones career is an incorrect summation. If AE was a top level NFL QB or even receiver, he would be played either consistently at one of those positions in the NFL. His career in the CFL does not scream hall of fame.. The NFL has a variety of people scouting talent, including scouting talent on other teams. AE was a great college talent. There have been many stories of college talent not translating to the pro level. He was a great college QB and has made a decent living I assume in CFL and other leagues.
Armanti Edwards has played from 2010 to 2020 during his career with the Carolina Panthers, Cleveland Browns, Saskatchewan Roughriders, Toronto Argonauts and Dallas Renegades. Edwards has thrown for 11 yards in his career, completing 2 of 5 passes with 0 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. He also has run for 66 yards in 11 attempts with 1 rushing touchdowns.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppYosef!

Unread post by AppYosef! » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:14 pm

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:58 am
I believe AE was one of the best in App St. history. To say an NFL coach sabotaged someones career is an incorrect summation. If AE was a top level NFL QB or even receiver, he would be played either consistently at one of those positions in the NFL. His career in the CFL does not scream hall of fame.. The NFL has a variety of people scouting talent, including scouting talent on other teams. AE was a great college talent. There have been many stories of college talent not translating to the pro level. He was a great college QB and has made a decent living I assume in CFL and other leagues.
Armanti Edwards has played from 2010 to 2020 during his career with the Carolina Panthers, Cleveland Browns, Saskatchewan Roughriders, Toronto Argonauts and Dallas Renegades. Edwards has thrown for 11 yards in his career, completing 2 of 5 passes with 0 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. He also has run for 66 yards in 11 attempts with 1 rushing touchdowns.
In today's NFL AE probably would have had a better chance to play QB. Speedy QB's who have accurate arms and can run as well are all the rage. Players and coaches with the Panthers praised his arm strength and accuracy but his size was always a factor. When he went to the CFL the coaches immediately praised his precise route running and great hands. In Canada he has always been one of the more solid receivers on whichever team he was on. Without a doubt he is still the most exciting college player I have had the pleasure to watch.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:00 pm

AppYosef! wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:14 pm
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
In today's NFL AE probably would have had a better chance to play QB. Speedy QB's who have accurate arms and can run as well are all the rage. Players and coaches with the Panthers praised his arm strength and accuracy but his size was always a factor. When he went to the CFL the coaches immediately praised his precise route running and great hands. In Canada he has always been one of the more solid receivers on whichever team he was on. Without a doubt he is still the most exciting college player I have had the pleasure to watch.
Agree. Def the best college player I've ever seen, and that's not just bc I'm an App fan.

He definitely would've had a shot to play QB in today's NFL, he was a little ahead of his time.
The Appalachian State

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:16 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:00 pm
AppYosef! wrote:
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Agree. Def the best college player I've ever seen, and that's not just bc I'm an App fan.

He definitely would've had a shot to play QB in today's NFL, he was a little ahead of his time.
Agree. I’ve said it for years. AE is absolutely the best college football player I’ve ever seen play. Call it black and gold colored glasses if you want, but there’s not a doubt in my mind.

Agree with appstatealum, Armanti was ahead of his time. It could be argued AE was in a small way, instrumental in the evolution of the college game to his style of play. We may sometimes get tired of people only talking about the Michigan win, but that game changed everything. AE and the Apps proved speed kills, that day.

AE headlined SportsCenter on more than one occasion. Not easy to do at a I-AA/FCS program at the time.

Armanti is to this day the BEST college player I’ve ever seen, and far and away the most fun to watch.

GO APPS!!

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:21 pm

appstatealum wrote:
AppYosef! wrote:
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:

Lloyd Carr can confirm this as true.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:21 pm

I've had some pretty hard-core college fans with no App ties acknowledge that Armani was one of the most exciting college players they've seen play. A lot of people said that of Tebow, but Armanti was way more exciting.
The Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:44 pm

appstatealum wrote:
AppYosef! wrote:
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:

He was definitely ahead of his time. I won't say that he would have played 10 years in the NFL and been a Pro Bowler at QB but if he was coming through today he would have been given a fair shot to play QB. I think he could have at least been a good backup who played out at least 2 full contracts in the NFL.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:36 am

AppStfan1, was he given a fair shot in his short stint at Cleveland? i don't claim to know because i wasn't following his brief time at Cleveland.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:06 am

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
You are correct in your assessments. However I find it ironic that a couple posters on here have basically said the same thing about Taylor and people on this board are losing their minds. So it’s ok to point out AE’s limitations at the next level but not ZT’s? I want to know where that comes from? It’s fascinating to me.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:26 am

AppDub wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:23 am
fjblair wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:04 am
AppDub wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:59 am
fjblair wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:07 am
App_in_Maiden wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:26 pm

I still hate Fox never gave him a shot just to see what he could do. Hell, I could have done better than Clausen. That season was already down the drain, AE should have been given a quarter or 2 to give it a go.
John Fox personally torpedoed Armanti's NFL career. I hate him for it.

Armanti Edwards is the greatest football player I have ever seen play the game.
He was great, but greatest ever you have seen?
Yes, the greatest football player I have ever seen play.
Greatest in App history, I could get on board with that. Greatest ever? Either you haven't seen many games or those are some big App goggles you have on. It is your opinion though so I respect that. Just don't agree. Guessing those in the hall of fame were just lucky, not better than AE.
What is your problem with me man? I'm not asking you to agree with me. He is the greatest college football player I have ever personally seen play. Live. In person. Got it? I don't care what you think about my opinion and I don't have to justify my position to you. Other people feel the same way, so it's not like I'm breaking new ground here.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:37 am

Best player of all time to wear the black and gold is Dexter Coakley. AE second.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:53 am

fjblair wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:26 am
AppDub wrote:
fjblair wrote:
AppDub wrote:
fjblair wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:07 am

John Fox personally torpedoed Armanti's NFL career. I hate him for it.

Armanti Edwards is the greatest football player I have ever seen play the game.
Greatest in App history, I could get on board with that. Greatest ever? Either you haven't seen many games or those are some big App goggles you have on. It is your opinion though so I respect that. Just don't agree. Guessing those in the hall of fame were just lucky, not better than AE.
What is your problem with me man? I'm not asking you to agree with me. He is the greatest college football player I have ever personally seen play. Live. In person. Got it? I don't care what you think about my opinion and I don't have to justify my position to you. Other people feel the same way, so it's not like I'm breaking new ground here.
Don't get so touchy. No problem with you. I agree he was the greatest in App history. Your original post said greatest football player ever. No mention of college. No mention of App only. Just questioned the greatest football player ever statement. Sorry if you took it personally. No ill will on my end. Apologies.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:58 pm

AE is my favorite all time player, every week I hoped he got a shot to play and always held out hope someone, somewhere would give him a shot at QB. He had loads of talent, but maybe not the intangibles to be a NFL QB. We all know he was incredibly humble and quiet natured. My assumptions are that he was lacking a few of these less noticed intangibles to be considered a franchise QB. How did he do in his interviews, could he read D's well enough to not always take off running, which would not have worked for him in the nfl, etc. The dude was pure fire though and I will always hold that he is as big a part of where we are as a program, as just about anyone else.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:09 pm

Best college football player I’ve seen in person was probably Ted Brown. Professional , either Roman Gabriel or perhaps the late Kevin Greene. But yes , AE is my all time favorite.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:20 pm

I like when a college football or basketball player can be appreciated for college level achievements even if he doesn’t translate into professional success. Tebow was an awesome college football player, as was Johnny Manziel. Love him or hate him Christian Laettner was one of the greatest college players I’ve ever seen. That being said AE was a joy to watch. The numbers he put up were insane. I can also separate levels of competition as well. It was generally felt that Armanti could have played QB at lots of P5 schools had he chosen to transfer. Thank goodness he wore the black and gold for 4 years.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:31 am

AppDub wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:53 am
fjblair wrote:
AppDub wrote:
fjblair wrote:
AppDub wrote:

Don't get so touchy. No problem with you. I agree he was the greatest in App history. Your original post said greatest football player ever. No mention of college. No mention of App only. Just questioned the greatest football player ever statement. Sorry if you took it personally. No ill will on my end. Apologies.
Armanti Edwards is the greatest college football player I've ever seen play. On live TV or in person. I'm sure other players were as good because i'm heavily biased, but dude was a straight up cheat code.

He had great receivers and Oline, but if he had the 2018-2019 cast of characters, it would have been terrifying. His arm was so underrated. he would have been given a shot in today's NFL. If Johnny trash Manziel can get 2 years as an NFL qb, AE deserved a shot. I'll never forgive the Panthers for misusing him so badly.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:09 am

BallantyneApp wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:31 am
AppDub wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:53 am
fjblair wrote:
AppDub wrote:
fjblair wrote:

Armanti Edwards is the greatest college football player I've ever seen play. On live TV or in person. I'm sure other players were as good because i'm heavily biased, but dude was a straight up cheat code.

He had great receivers and Oline, but if he had the 2018-2019 cast of characters, it would have been terrifying. His arm was so underrated. he would have been given a shot in today's NFL. If Johnny trash Manziel can get 2 years as an NFL qb, AE deserved a shot. I'll never forgive the Panthers for misusing him so badly.
Hurney wanted AE...Fox didn’t and it was a pissing contest with Fox winning by not playing him. I put blame solely on Fox not the organization.

Deano

Unread post by Deano » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:27 am

Guys, guys. guys are we forgetting Satterfield as QB? He led our team 1995 to an almost perfect season only losing to winless VMI if my memory serves me.....Just joking as a QB he was ok.

But as far as the best player to every play for APP, all you had to see in person was the play Armanti made against Samford, when he took the snap, scramble to his right, fumbled the ball twice, picked the ball up, eluded 4 defenders and threw the ball just as he was getting tackled to a receiver for a first down. It was amazing. Greatest individual effort I've ever seen.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:35 am

Deano wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:27 am
Guys, guys. guys are we forgetting Satterfield as QB? He led our team 1995 to an almost perfect season only losing to winless VMI if my memory serves me.....Just joking as a QB he was ok.

But as far as the best player to every play for APP, all you had to see in person was the play Armanti made against Samford, when he took the snap, scramble to his right, fumbled the ball twice, picked the ball up, eluded 4 defenders and threw the ball just as he was getting tackled to a receiver for a first down. It was amazing. Greatest individual effort I've ever seen.
I remember that play which was incredible...I believe it was also raining?

App_in_Maiden

Unread post by App_in_Maiden » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:51 am

Rick83 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:35 am
Deano wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:27 am

I remember that play which was incredible...I believe it was also raining?
Here it is.

“I don’t like talking to people I know, but strangers I have no problem with.” -Larry David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”