Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Zac Gone

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Zac Gone

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:58 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:06 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:57 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:32 am
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:02 am
I believe you can have 2 GOATS. One for offense and one for defense. Edwards and Coakley for me.
I agree with AE. Undecided between Coakley and Hackett
Hackett had the great single season for a defender in App history but Coakley had the greatest career. Of all 3 of those players, the NFL career backs up the statement that Coakley is the GOAT.

Something to keep in mind about AE and Coakley. About all of us agree, had AE come out in the last 4 years or so that he would have been given a fair shot at QB in the NFL. Coakley actually came about 18-19 years prior to NFL teams starting to take smaller LBs and still managed to be a top 100 pick, which is unheard of for a small school LB. There was bias against him and he went on to become NFC Defensive Rookie of the Year, play a decade, and go to 3 Pro Bowls before sitting out of them was popular to do to. I say that about sitting out because now I would equal 6 Pro Bowls to 3 when Coakley did it.

Dino's NFL career was hampered and cut short by his developing Meniere's Syndrome.
The inner ear injury did cut it short and he likely would have played as long. I was using NFL career to compare AE and Coakley because they were in similar scenarios. Both were undersized and went in 3rd round but one overcame that size to have a career.

If you want to compare Coakley and Hackett in college then Coakley's career was far better and different. Coakley was undersized but was known to be a I-A caliber talent that fell through the cracks. He ended up a 3-time All-SoCon and All-American. Hackett sort of fell through because he had a NC State offer that was taken away when their HC got fired. He was still someone who would grow from 6'3 190 to 6'4 240 and change positions. Hackett was a 2-time All-SoCon and 1-time All-American.

Something interesting on Dino that some may forget is that he chose App State because Working was going to let him play both baseball and football. Mack Brown replaced Mike Working the next year and told Dino he had to drop baseball, which Dino had later described as the best thing to ever happen to him.

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Zac Gone

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:14 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:06 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:57 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:32 am
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:02 am
I believe you can have 2 GOATS. One for offense and one for defense. Edwards and Coakley for me.
I agree with AE. Undecided between Coakley and Hackett
Hackett had the great single season for a defender in App history but Coakley had the greatest career. Of all 3 of those players, the NFL career backs up the statement that Coakley is the GOAT.

Something to keep in mind about AE and Coakley. About all of us agree, had AE come out in the last 4 years or so that he would have been given a fair shot at QB in the NFL. Coakley actually came about 18-19 years prior to NFL teams starting to take smaller LBs and still managed to be a top 100 pick, which is unheard of for a small school LB. There was bias against him and he went on to become NFC Defensive Rookie of the Year, play a decade, and go to 3 Pro Bowls before sitting out of them was popular to do to. I say that about sitting out because now I would equal 6 Pro Bowls to 3 when Coakley did it.

Dino's NFL career was hampered and cut short by his developing Meniere's Syndrome.
Indeed. I think Dino was a slightly better NFL prospect because of his size and the fact that he had high upside but Coakley's test numbers, production, and awards were second to none.

In fact, Coakley would be a NFL Combine test freak even by today's standards. Here is what he did at the NFL Combine coming out of App: 5'9 5/8, 215 pounds, 21 reps, 4.48 and 4.53 hand held 40s, 4.51-4.56 electronic 40s, 38 VJ, 10'6 BJ, 4.21 SS, and 7.48 3-cone.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”