Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App season, Sunbelt bowls and Common opponents

BambooRdApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: App season, Sunbelt bowls and Common opponents

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:02 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:52 am
ah59396 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:15 am
Boonegoon wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:42 am
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:23 pm
AppDub wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:27 pm

Liberty would be a great add.
not sure I want this at all. This is just glorified Southern Conference like back in the playoff days. I want teams like ECU, Cincy, Tulsa Memphis, UCF...better competition week in and week out. Although EasyU being better competition is debatable at this point. I believe we would evolve in that conference just like we have to initial foray into FBS...It may also help with sellouts for fan attendance, including the conference championship game (which the Sunbelt Championship game in Boone has had relatively poor turnout given it is a conference championship as I have been to both)
I agree, I want nothing to do with Liberty or JMU. The point wasn't to stay in JV
We all want that but I’d love to hear your reasoning on how it happens.

We are not the AAC’s 1st choice for their 12th spot, probably not top 3. In all likelihood if they fill the slot it’ll be Boise or UAB.

The only route to the AAC is after it gets raided by the BIG12, at which point you can say bye to UCF, Cincy or Memphis and probably Houston.

While there’s an (unlikely) scenario at some point where we are in an AAC similar to this:

Tulsa
Tulane
App State
UAB
ECU
Navy
Temple
SMU
USF
FAU
Marshall
Southern Mississippi

That’s obviously a better outcome than my hypothetical Sun Belt above, but I just don’t see it. We don’t fit the AAC mold. The AAC is dominated by massive R1 institutions in large metros, we are none of those things.

Doesn’t mean it can’t happen but again, I think my envisioned Sun Belt East is far more likely to occur than the new AAC (which is basically CUSA 2004).
Of course all of this theoretical conference realignment discussion is purely conjecture so for the sake of argument let’s assume a revised AAC as depicted above. Let’s also assume we are back to all aspects of a normal year. I see that, overall the level of competition in conference probably takes a step up. This conference appears to have less dogs than the current Sunbelt. That’s a plus.

Assume that our 4 conference home games in season 1 are ECU, Tulsa, Southern Miss and Navy. We obviously pack KBS to 35k for ECU but how about the rest? I still see expensive travel costs for all sports. Do overall revenues increase to allow for higher coaching salaries which keeps us at the top of the heap? Would our fan base accept 8-4 which most schools kill for? We probably get bowl games against 6-6 or maybe 7-5 P5’s? Is that enough?

If the big AAC guys do leave would this revamped conference be that much better than our current situation? Just asking.
Yes, I would take the above everyday over the SBC. Almost everyone of the schools above have more name recognition than many of schools in SBC in my opinion.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:35 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
Boonegoon wrote:
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
AppDub wrote:

not sure I want this at all. This is just glorified Southern Conference like back in the playoff days. I want teams like ECU, Cincy, Tulsa Memphis, UCF...better competition week in and week out. Although EasyU being better competition is debatable at this point. I believe we would evolve in that conference just like we have to initial foray into FBS...It may also help with sellouts for fan attendance, including the conference championship game (which the Sunbelt Championship game in Boone has had relatively poor turnout given it is a conference championship as I have been to both)
I agree, I want nothing to do with Liberty or JMU. The point wasn't to stay in JV

We are not the AAC’s 1st choice for their 12th spot, probably not top 3. In all likelihood if they fill the slot it’ll be Boise or UAB.

The only route to the AAC is after it gets raided by the BIG12, at which point you can say bye to UCF, Cincy or Memphis and probably Houston.

While there’s an (unlikely) scenario at some point where we are in an AAC similar to this:

Tulsa
Tulane
App State
UAB
ECU
Navy
Temple
SMU
USF
FAU
Marshall
Southern Mississippi

That’s obviously a better outcome than my hypothetical Sun Belt above, but I just don’t see it. We don’t fit the AAC mold. The AAC is dominated by massive R1 institutions in large metros, we are none of those things.

Doesn’t mean it can’t happen but again, I think my envisioned Sun Belt East is far more likely to occur than the new AAC (which is basically CUSA 2004).
Of course all of this theoretical conference realignment discussion is purely conjecture so for the sake of argument let’s assume a revised AAC as depicted above. Let’s also assume we are back to all aspects of a normal year. I see that, overall the level of competition in conference probably takes a step up. This conference appears to have less dogs than the current Sunbelt. That’s a plus.

Assume that our 4 conference home games in season 1 are ECU, Tulsa, Southern Miss and Navy. We obviously pack KBS to 35k for ECU but how about the rest? I still see expensive travel costs for all sports. Do overall revenues increase to allow for higher coaching salaries which keeps us at the top of the heap? Would our fan base accept 8-4 which most schools kill for? We probably get bowl games against 6-6 or maybe 7-5 P5’s? Is that enough?

If the big AAC guys do leave would this revamped conference be that much better than our current situation? Just asking.
In a nutshell- NOPE

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:42 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:35 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
Boonegoon wrote:
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:

Tulsa
Tulane
App State
UAB
ECU
Navy
Temple
SMU
USF
FAU
Marshall
Southern Mississippi

In a nutshell- NOPE
Agree. I knew the answer to my own question. Just wanted at least one rational person to agree.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:31 am

If Cincy, Houston, SMU and UCF leave, then the Sun Belt would be a better Conf. Unless a Regional Conference is formed, I like where we are. Just hope we can get some better Bowl match-ups.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:13 pm

JMappfan5 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:31 am
If Cincy, Houston, SMU and UCF leave, then the Sun Belt would be a better Conf. Unless a Regional Conference is formed, I like where we are. Just hope we can get some better Bowl match-ups.
This is in line with my thinking as well. If these big market teams go elsewhere, that revenue piece goes with it. So essentially, you are correct.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:42 pm

Don’t pretend other moves wouldn’t come into play if the AAC were to get raided.

It would weaken both CUSA and SBC and you’d want to be the one exiting the SBC in that situation.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:22 pm

Article on CUSA hitting rock bottom

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/confere ... v-contract
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:38 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
Boonegoon wrote:
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
AppDub wrote:

Tulsa
Tulane
App State
UAB
ECU
Navy
Temple
SMU
USF
FAU
Marshall
Southern Mississippi

I would think we would pack the house to capacity + anytime the following came to Boone:

ECU
Navy
Marshall

And very strong crowds for:

SMU
UAB
Southern Mississippi

As far as costs, I have no clue. AAC has far better bowl tie-ins and tv contracts than the Belt. But we’d like have to increase spending to remain competitive. A $35m budget wouldn’t cut it.
YNWA

Boonegoon

Unread post by Boonegoon » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:54 pm

AppDub wrote:
Boonegoon wrote:
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
AppDub wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:30 pm
Regarding the future of the Belt:

I’ve changed my position on Liberty, I think we should add them. Not just due to the success they’ve seen this season but also because I learned how much they and Coastal hate each other.

Coastal needs an actual rival and having a Virginia based team would be good for the Belt. Rivalries build conferences. There’s always a bar you set and that’s to be better than your rival. Having none can create apathy.

I understand the politics are difficult for some, but for what it’s worth I am not a religious person. I am an App State fan though and I think it bolsters the conference.

I’m very skeptical of Keith Gill’s capability as a commissioner, but I’d love for him to go after Liberty and maybe one of Marshall or JMU.

Go to 12 with a focus on schools that are focused on athletic success.

Though a “Sun Belt East” of:

App
Liberty
JMU/Marshall
Coastal Carolina
Georgia Southern
Georgia State

is quite the gauntlet.
Not sure a ranked Liberty team should be considered JV.

Everything about Liberty is JV.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:10 pm

Boonegoon wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:54 pm
AppDub wrote:
Boonegoon wrote:
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
AppDub wrote:

Thats an arrogant statement. Thats a very good football team.

Boonegoon

Unread post by Boonegoon » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:05 pm

AppDub wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:10 pm
Boonegoon wrote:
AppDub wrote:
Boonegoon wrote:
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:

Where did I say anything about football?

Boonegoon

Unread post by Boonegoon » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:08 pm

AppDub wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:10 pm
Boonegoon wrote:
AppDub wrote:
Boonegoon wrote:
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:

Where did I say anything about football? I think it's a bush league school

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:12 pm

Sorry, I assumed since the discussion was football thats what you meant. My bad.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:01 am

Boonegoon wrote:

Disagree. They appear to have more $$ than most state supported schools and are willing to spend it. Especially on their sports programs.

You might object to their politics and philosophy but thats on you.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:22 am

AppAlum1 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:01 am
Boonegoon wrote:

Disagree. They appear to have more $$ than most state supported schools and are willing to spend it. Especially on their sports programs.

You might object to their politics and philosophy but thats on you.
They definitely do put the cash behind their facilities both educational and sports wise. And they have plenty of it.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:42 am

I'm about as anti-Liberty as they come having lived within hour of their campus for 45 years. Frankly, I'd be hard pressed to even go there to watch us play. But, in the financial end of things, they are in a league by themselves in the G5 world. Their campus is constantly undergoing construction/renovation and is growing by leaps and bounds. Their athletic facilities put ours to shame. I don't think this year was an aberration on the football field for them.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:59 am

They have a solid all around athletic program and I’ve been saying it for a couple years now. They will be a BYU caliber program in 10 years.

WASU 93

Re: Final Rankings

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:19 pm

The Final Top 25 Rankings are going to be interesting:

#18, #22, #23, #24 and #25 all lost.

Of those getting votes in the final AP Poll--UCF, Marshall and Army also lost.

Miami may stay in the Top 25 (was #18 and lost to a ranked opponent)

Liberty will definitely crack the Top 25 at 9-1. Ball State will probably make it in (they had votes and they beat #22 San Jose State). Buffalo may also make it in (they had votes and beat Marshall).

If the voters are paying attention, App State might sneak back into the Top 25 (which is valuable in off season press, especially with Brice and our returning players). #RankAppState

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:29 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:38 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
Boonegoon wrote:
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:

Tulsa
Tulane
App State
UAB
ECU
Navy
Temple
SMU
USF
FAU
Marshall
Southern Mississippi

I would think we would pack the house to capacity + anytime the following came to Boone:

ECU
Navy
Marshall

And very strong crowds for:

SMU
UAB
Southern Mississippi

As far as costs, I have no clue. AAC has far better bowl tie-ins and tv contracts than the Belt. But we’d like have to increase spending to remain competitive. A $35m budget wouldn’t cut it.
I agree with you on the Top 3. I don't know that SMU, UAB or Southern Miss would pull any more people in to Kidd Brewer than Louisiana + Temple, Tulane, Tulsa and FAU would not pull any better than Sun Belt opponents.

There are certainly two ways of looking at it. From a football only perspective, the AAC would probably add enough in TV Revenue and Bowl payouts to cover the increased football budget. (Plus, we should hire a strong Corporate Package salesperson/team to go after Regional and National Sponsors to our program)

If you look at it from an all-sports perspective, the AAC offers no natural rivals (beyond ECU/Marshall) and beyond those teams, there are no drivable games to support our team in basketball, baseball, etc. A regional conference certainly brings a much better Fan Perspective (outside of TV coverage) in regards to road trips and rivalries.

Tatedc

Re: Final Rankings

Unread post by Tatedc » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:22 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:19 pm
The Final Top 25 Rankings are going to be interesting:

#18, #22, #23, #24 and #25 all lost.

Of those getting votes in the final AP Poll--UCF, Marshall and Army also lost.

Miami may stay in the Top 25 (was #18 and lost to a ranked opponent)

Liberty will definitely crack the Top 25 at 9-1. Ball State will probably make it in (they had votes and they beat #22 San Jose State). Buffalo may also make it in (they had votes and beat Marshall).

If the voters are paying attention, App State might sneak back into the Top 25 (which is valuable in off season press, especially with Brice and our returning players). #RankAppState

Since moving to FBS:

2015: #33 AP, #34 Coaches, #31 CBS
2016: #37 CBS
2017: #36 Coaches, #38 CBS
2018: #26 AP, #28 Coaches, #27 CBS
2019: #19 AP, #18 Coaches, #19 CBS, #20 CFP

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”