Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Boise St to AAC?

yosef95
School: Appalachian State

Boise St to AAC?

Unread post by yosef95 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:33 pm

Ok, Boise St has been good, but baffled why they are talking to, will get an intvite to the AAC? If media markets matter, they are not. What drives the bus in this equation? For example. App and Marshall have similar FB back-round, what on earth do they bring as a Conf USA member? Boone is an incredible fan base, game atmosphere, but I get it's not a huge market...but App's true market is Charlotte and Raleigh with all their alumni there.

BambooRdApp

Re: Boise St to AAC?

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:46 pm

It's one of the growing destinations in the U. S.
194% more people moved into Idaho than left the state since March, according to data from moving marketplace HireAHelper.
Its capital, Boise, was becoming a hot destination even before the pandemic: Its population grew by 18.2% from 2010 to 2018, and Forbes named it the fastest-growing city in the US. If not Colorado prominent school, natural choice to capture more western area of U. S.
Makes perfect sense to me if thinking about an expansion with a good college football team to get viewers in markets you are not currently in.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

yosef95

Unread post by yosef95 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:51 pm

Cant imagine anyone moving to Boise on purpose, but how does Marhsall in the middle of dullardsville get into Conf Usa? None of these are ideal, I just want App to have some natuarl rivals. Ecu, Marshall, Uncc etc

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:39 am

Supposedly the AACis in search of universities with a biomedical emphasis. Pretty sure I heard that on an interview with Fickle from Cincy. Not sure if thats really the case or just fluff and not sure if Boise even fits the bill. However, would be more of a draw than the t.v. market there.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:46 am

Boise to the AAC makes no sense to me at all...huge travel for all involved. Which I'm guessing is why they're looking at football only.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:50 am

Works for me.

Doesn’t elevate another southern or mid-Atlantic G5 to compete with for recruits.

Weakens MWC meaning SBC can be the 2nd best G5 conference for CFP payouts.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:55 am

yosef95 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:33 pm
Ok, Boise St has been good, but baffled why they are talking to, will get an intvite to the AAC? If media markets matter, they are not. What drives the bus in this equation? For example. App and Marshall have similar FB back-round, what on earth do they bring as a Conf USA member? Boone is an incredible fan base, game atmosphere, but I get it's not a huge market...but App's true market is Charlotte and Raleigh with all their alumni there.
True enough, one might add Winston-Salem to that equation. The only negative is with Charlotte, we share the market with Davidson, the Panthers, UNC-C, and the entire ACC. With Raleigh we share with the Wolf Pack, the ACC, etc. With Winston-Salem, we share with the Deacons and the rest of the ACC. In my humble opinion, just would like to see the Belt grow in prestige enough that it would become attractive to significant other programs that would give us a better true rival than the GSU Eaglets.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:33 am

NewApp wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:55 am
yosef95 wrote:
True enough, one might add Winston-Salem to that equation. The only negative is with Charlotte, we share the market with Davidson, the Panthers, UNC-C, and the entire ACC. With Raleigh we share with the Wolf Pack, the ACC, etc. With Winston-Salem, we share with the Deacons and the rest of the ACC. In my humble opinion, just would like to see the Belt grow in prestige enough that it would become attractive to significant other programs that would give us a better true rival than the GSU Eaglets.
We like to claim that those are our markets and while there is some truth there, its not like we come close to being the prominent entity in those markets. While the potential is there for a lot of eyes on App, many, if not most, eyes are diverted elsewhere.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:06 pm

yosef95 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:51 pm
Cant imagine anyone moving to Boise on purpose....
Refugees from the failed state of California.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:22 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:06 pm
yosef95 wrote:
Cant imagine anyone moving to Boise on purpose....
Refugees from the failed state of California.
Only problem is they tend to bring the stupid with them

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:35 pm

hapapp wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:33 am
NewApp wrote:
yosef95 wrote:
We like to claim that those are our markets and while there is some truth there, its not like we come close to being the prominent entity in those markets. While the potential is there for a lot of eyes on App, many, if not most, eyes are diverted elsewhere.

BINGO.
Google SUX

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:05 pm

yosef95 wrote:
Because media markets don’t matter and conferences are starting to figure this out.

Media markets mattered in 1999. Now an App State fan living in Timbuktu can watch us at 2am in HD and soon 4K.

Brands and winning matter. Something Boise has both of.
YNWA

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:12 pm

NewApp wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:35 pm
hapapp wrote:
NewApp wrote:
yosef95 wrote:

BINGO.
Raleigh market:
UNC HOLES
NCSU
UNC CHEAT
NCSU
Tiny bit EZU
little bit WEAK
And any other P5 or school not named Appalachian

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:44 pm

1ASU78 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:12 pm
NewApp wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:35 pm
hapapp wrote:
NewApp wrote:
yosef95 wrote:

BINGO.
Raleigh market:
UNC HOLES
NCSU
UNC CHEAT
NCSU
Tiny bit EZU
little bit WEAK
And any other P5 or school not named Appalachian

BINGO II. Of course we left out the Hurricanes during a big season every now and then.
Google SUX

Champ24
School: North Carolina A&T

Unread post by Champ24 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:17 am

We need to promote ourselves as a East Tennessee, Northwest Georgia, Western, Central and Southern North Carolina and Western Virginia market. Do the math thats over 20 million people. We as a university have to aim higher and stop being comfortable. We need to carry and position ourselves as a major player, even if we're not. Need to annually have a schedule that consists of at least 2 P5 each year and 1 AAC member each year. 2024-25 realignment will happen again. This time we need to get to the American

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:08 am

Champ24 wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:17 am
We need to promote ourselves as a East Tennessee, Northwest Georgia, Western, Central and Southern North Carolina and Western Virginia market. Do the math thats over 20 million people. We as a university have to aim higher and stop being comfortable. We need to carry and position ourselves as a major player, even if we're not. Need to annually have a schedule that consists of at least 2 P5 each year and 1 AAC member each year. 2024-25 realignment will happen again. This time we need to get to the American
I agree! It will be hard unless we can change the culture at the Board of Governors level. Academic improvement will be essential!

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:08 am

Champ24 wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:17 am
I agree! It will be hard unless we can change the culture at the Board of Governors level. Academic improvement will be essential!

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:07 pm

This may not be a popular opinion but I think we are better off being in a conference that we can win often than to get to one we struggle in. I think we will be fine in any G5 conference but I am not sure it would be fun to be in the ACC or the SEC. I don't understand the 16 team conference format. Finishing 5th to 16th 70% of the time makes for some tough recruiting vs an Appalachian State with winning tradition. I think we can build a great reputation and have fun seasons right where we are. I hope we can sign more P5 bottom feeders. Duke, Vanderbilt, Wake. My perfect schedule is a p5 money game. A p5 home and home. (Duke, Wake, Vandy = will probably mean winnable) two g5 home and homes. (Great Destination or drivable game.)

P.S. Basketball is going to be fun this year. I hope we make the dance.

Merry Christmas

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:22 pm

I like the Sunbelt more and more. I’m also appreciative of the opportunity it provided. And continues to provide. We have plenty of room to improve and grow right here. If a better conference fit is out there , I don’t see it. Down the road if a new conference based on geographic rivalries develops , great. Until then we are where we need to be.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:21 pm

yosef95 wrote:
Cant imagine anyone moving to Boise on purpose, but how does Marhsall in the middle of dullardsville get into Conf Usa? None of these are ideal, I just want App to have some natuarl rivals. Ecu, Marshall, Uncc etc
I spent a good amount of time there on a work detail and you couldn’t be more wrong. Boise is a vastly underrated city. I live in Knoxville and Boise is 1000 times better and would live there in a heartbeat. Clean, low crime, good weather, beautiful countryside and the people are nice. Where else does that sound like? 🤔

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”