Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

CBS Rates First Year Coaches

hapapp
School: Appalachian State

CBS Rates First Year Coaches

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:48 pm

NewApp

Re: CBS Rates First Year Coaches

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:40 pm

hapapp wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:48 pm
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... at-baylor/

Shawn received a B grade.

Missouri
Eliah Drinkwitz 5-5 Missouri was competitive in the SEC East and made a brief appearance in the Top 25. Not bad for a coach who only had one year of experience prior to taking over the Tigers. A-

Drinkwitz got an A- with a 5-5 record????? While Coach Clark got a B with a 9-3 record?? Does this make sense?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:59 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:40 pm
hapapp wrote:

Missouri
Eliah Drinkwitz 5-5 Missouri was competitive in the SEC East and made a brief appearance in the Top 25. Not bad for a coach who only had one year of experience prior to taking over the Tigers. A-

Drinkwitz got an A- with a 5-5 record????? While Coach Clark got a B with a 9-3 record?? Does this make sense?
Given what they inherited, I'm guessing that Missouri outperformed what was expected. The record alone doesn't determine the job done.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:59 pm

Yes , I think it does given what they had to work with and expectations.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:08 pm

I think B is probably fair. I’d be interested to know how coach grades himself.
Give 'em hell!

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:20 pm

Yeah this piece didn’t impress me
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:40 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:40 pm
hapapp wrote:

Missouri

Absolutely makes sense.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:22 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:08 pm
I think B is probably fair. I’d be interested to know how coach grades himself.
Good post. It was a great year coupled with some of the sloppiest and most undisciplined play I’ve seen since mid 2000s. Clean that up and we will be a force!

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:00 am

I think that a "B" is the grade I would give as well. All in all, most schools consider 9-3 with a bowl win to be a great season, but we are not most schools. It is a good season but I will remember it more for missed opportunities due to self inflicted injuries and a lot of that falls on the coaching staff. So all and all I think a B is the appropriate grade.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:25 am

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:00 am
I think that a "B" is the grade I would give as well. All in all, most schools consider 9-3 with a bowl win to be a great season, but we are not most schools. It is a good season but I will remember it more for missed opportunities due to self inflicted injuries and a lot of that falls on the coaching staff. So all and all I think a B is the appropriate grade.
I believe that coming into season, we thought defense would be more of the liability and offense would be top of conference. Offense was not good especially against good teams. With offense that returned, we may not have went U defeated but we should have been near perfect. Just personal opinion. I do not believe we will be a one loss or two loss team every year. However, with no P5s on schedule, thought expectations would be higher. So B seems reasonable.
Actually believe Drink probably deserves A+ given what he had in terms of talent, starting young QB if I remember correctly, and zero nonconference games. However, CBS could no way do that with 5-5 record
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:46 pm

The penalties that killed drives or extended opponents drives this year, some causing the difference in the ballgame, were frustrating, and that is a DIRECT reflection on the staff.
A poster on the Peterson thread did a comparison of stats over this season and last season, it would be interesting to see a penalties comparison too. The false start that backs you up or the holding that kills a big play or the unnecessary late hit, etc. all these add up to cost you in a game, discipline.
Another area is special teams play - how do you compare that except with an eye test? I thought we were behind the previous season there too.
There's room for overall improvement, step 1 is on the way to Champaign.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:57 pm

Here’s a recent look at where App has ranked nationally in penalty yards:

2020 — 107th nationally out of 127 teams
2019 — 111th
2018 — 72nd
2017 — 101th
2016 — 85th
2015 — 76th
2014 — 94th

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:38 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:46 pm
The penalties that killed drives or extended opponents drives this year, some causing the difference in the ballgame, were frustrating, and that is a DIRECT reflection on the staff.
A poster on the Peterson thread did a comparison of stats over this season and last season, it would be interesting to see a penalties comparison too. The false start that backs you up or the holding that kills a big play or the unnecessary late hit, etc. all these add up to cost you in a game, discipline.
Another area is special teams play - how do you compare that except with an eye test? I thought we were behind the previous season there too.
Statistically speaking, special teams was similar in 2020 to what itwas in 2019. Our kickoff return average was slightly better last year 24 to 22 this year. Punt returns were 1 yard better last year 9.6 to 8.6. Our KO coverage was better this year by about a yard and punt return coverage was almost identical. Our net punting was up about a yard better this year, FG and XP were identical.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:09 am

I am a Clark supporter and remain firmly in that position. That said, I do think "B" is a fair grade for this season. That a solid performance and reflects the performance of the team. As pointed out above, the grades are based on situational performance against expectations based on roster, competition, etc. Everyone was impacted by COVID this season but not everyone was impacted equally. I think App was impacted a bit more than some of our competition because of the month during which we missed a lot of practice. Effectively we had to go back through the start up process twice and I do think Clark managed that very well. It's difficult to evaluate missing players because everyone had some of that and it's a subjective evaluation. The off season probably impact App more than most others (UL and CCU for example) during the off season because of the new staff. Building chemistry between players and coaches and amongst the coaching staff is difficult and App was doing it from scratch.

I have to think that Clark is ok with the season but I doubt he is thrilled. Nobody on this board loves App more than he does or wants us to win more. He will spend the entire off-season addressing issues and I do not expect to ever hear him address coaching or player issues on a public forum. He simply has more class than that. Things will be addressed but it will be behind the scenes...like a family.

GO APPS!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:59 am

hapapp wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:38 am
Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:46 pm
Statistically speaking, special teams was similar in 2020 to what itwas in 2019. Our kickoff return average was slightly better last year 24 to 22 this year. Punt returns were 1 yard better last year 9.6 to 8.6. Our KO coverage was better this year by about a yard and punt return coverage was almost identical. Our net punting was up about a yard better this year, FG and XP were identical.
Thanks for finding that info, all the stats you found says we weren't much different in '19 and '20, without seeing them I thought we a lot had more penalties in '20.

for what it's worth, I listen to a well respected College football talk show that has as a weekly Friday guest handicapper Brad Powers, a few weeks ago a caller asked him where his favorite G5 team APP stood, his response was that APP was about 7 points handicapped less than 2019, because it was the 3rd coaching change in as many years and he wasn't a fan of promoting or hiring offensive line coaches as head coaches, historically in hasn't worked out as well as a head coach with other backgrounds - his words. I think that 2019 APP would beat 2020 9-10+ points, my gut feeling.
BLACK SATURDAY

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:36 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:57 pm

2019 — 111th
2018 — 72nd
2017 — 101th
2016 — 85th
2015 — 76th
2014 — 94th
Im actually okay with some discipline issues if it fits our game. What I mean to say is that football is about getting nasty, it’s no gentleman’s game.

I grew up playing hockey and often some of my best impact teammates were also the most penalized. They touted that very thin line between effective enforcement/back checking/forechecking and down right stupid decisions.

But you need those guys because they make the other team think twice. Get them off their game.

A LB with a nasty streak can make that WR think twice about his slant route before he runs it. Same goes for the work in the trenches.

Now there were times this year when we were heavily penalized and looked largely apathetic. Which to me suggests penalties born of laziness. That has to be cleaned up.

But I can live with a higher than average penalty yards metric if it translates into the other team not being able to execute like they want to. That’s football.
YNWA

App91

Unread post by App91 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:17 am

ah59396 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:36 am
AppGrad78 wrote:

2019 — 111th
2018 — 72nd
2017 — 101th
2016 — 85th
2015 — 76th
2014 — 94th
Im actually okay with some discipline issues if it fits our game. What I mean to say is that football is about getting nasty, it’s no gentleman’s game.

I grew up playing hockey and often some of my best impact teammates were also the most penalized. They touted that very thin line between effective enforcement/back checking/forechecking and down right stupid decisions.

But you need those guys because they make the other team think twice. Get them off their game.

A LB with a nasty streak can make that WR think twice about his slant route before he runs it. Same goes for the work in the trenches.

Now there were times this year when we were heavily penalized and looked largely apathetic. Which to me suggests penalties born of laziness. That has to be cleaned up.

But I can live with a higher than average penalty yards metric if it translates into the other team not being able to execute like they want to. That’s football.
Agree with you about the type of penalties. Dont really mind the late hit after the whistle as long as its not dirty. Penalty yards do not tell the story. Its the type and timing that matter. I cannot understand a false start, everyone knows when the ball is to be snapped! Dumb- trash talking and unsportsman like are killers as well. These two types are discipline issues, other types you are going to have when playing hard.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:53 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:36 am
AppGrad78 wrote:

2019 — 111th
2018 — 72nd
2017 — 101th
2016 — 85th
2015 — 76th
2014 — 94th

Amen.

I played multiple position throughout my hockey career, and pushed the boundary of each. As a goalie, I'd take cheap shot at guys crowding the crease, as a defenseman, I'd put extra effort into the backbreaking and because I had speed and "finesse" as a wing/forward despite my 6'3 frsme, I never hesitated to lay the wood to ensure opponents were looking over their shoulders. It competes your game physically and mentally. I've kept the same approach in other sports like basketball.
The Appalachian State

CornCobPipes

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:07 pm

I agree with the B grade. Had he made a better choice for OC than Petersen....I would give an A-.
Petersen is good riddance!
KICK ASS!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”