Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Peterson to Illinois?

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Peterson to Illinois?

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:19 pm

As much as the annual turnover has probably complicated things, I just don’t think we can make longevity much of a consideration for assistant coaches. If we can’t hire a young up-and-comer like Riley because he might leave after one year, and we can’t hire a veteran journeyman like Petersen because he also might leave after one year, then who’s left?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:20 pm

appgrad wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:12 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:31 am
appgrad wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:30 pm
No.

We need to think bigger than handing jobs to former QBs either with no track record, or a non-descript one just because they played here.

Give me a proven innovator and talent developer. We have too much talent here to risk it on a Prodigal Son.
You need to have money to get that.
I agree - but hiring unproven, or largely unremarkable (as a coach), alumni isn't the solution to our problems either.
Very true. But you have to work within your limits. I understand that people like to point to TP’s tenure at ECU. His tenure and results were on the opposite end of the spectrum at La. Tech. And there were issues within ECUs structure that led to some of those problems.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:21 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:04 am
appst89 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:43 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:38 am
A little of both. Eli didn’t run his offense either. He ran the offense that we had with Satt with a few wrinkles of his own. Only difference, is that he had healthy, experienced players all season.
And the ability to adjust.
Hard to adjust when you are using 2nd and third string guys. Case in point. In the bowl game, we were doing a pretty good job of stuffing the NT rushing attack. Once Earle, (our 2nd string NT) left the game with an injury, things changed. NT ran on our 3rd and 4th string guys pretty handily. Mind you, they did a pretty decent job, but they showed that they weren’t quite to the same talent level of Earle. Not yet anyway. My point is this, no one cared since the offense was humming and we won handily. But I would say that some of you need to apply that same understanding of talent level disparity to the guys on offense. Wells, Horn, and Davis will be good. But they aren’t Hennigan, Virgil, and Sutton. Nor should they be expected to.
What 2nd or 3rd string guys are you talking about?! We had almost all of our OL back from last year, experienced RBs, Malik, Hennigan, Pearson, etc. You're making things up to fit your narrative.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:21 pm

App91 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:23 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:18 am
AppSt94 wrote:
A little of both. Eli didn’t run his offense either. He ran the offense that we had with Satt with a few wrinkles of his own. Only difference, is that he had healthy, experienced players all season.
Saying something repeatedly doesn’t make it truth.
Guys is a one string banjo
It doesn’t mean that I am wrong.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:22 pm

hapapp wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:04 pm
I think its important to put some of this in perspective. Obviously, record-wise we didn't match our 13 wins and had 2 more losses. Is that the fault of the OC? Perhaps. We did average 5 points less a game this year. On the other hand we actually had better offensive stats in terms of total offense, we had rushed for 34 more yards a game, threw for 14 fewer yards.

In our two conference losses, we did underperform our seasonal averages but then again our opponents did as well. In the Coastal game, our offense exceeded what Coastal was giving up on the year in terms of points and yards. In the UL game, our total offense was below their average. Keep in mind, the conditions in which that game was played. We did actually rush for more yards than they allowed. Our passing numbers were well under their average. We also committed six turnovers in those two games. Is that play calling or execution?

I think the most glaring deficiency in our 2020 offense, was, as has been pointed out, our underperforming in the red zone. In 2019 we were successful 91% of the time v. 2020 75%. We scored TDs 78% of the time last year while only doing 58% of the time this year. One area where we were significantly more successful was on 3rd conversion. This year we succeeded 51%, compared to 44% last year.

This is not to defend Tony Peterson. Clearly, there were some issues especially in the red zone. On the other hand, in some areas were actually more productive. I find a little hard to suggest that we failed this year offensively. Where we did have some issues, was it all play calling, or how much was execution? And, I do understand that sometimes poor execution can come from bad play calls.

I just think its too simple to say we were 9-3 this year and not 11-1 because of Peterson. Perhaps, he was the wrong choice. Hopefully, if that were the case, we'll find a better match this time.
I understand and agree with the points you have made. But as someone in the "not upset TP is gone" camp, my beef is not the total yardage or total points on the ledger. For ME it was his situational play calling, especially high pressure situations. Time and again in the biggest moments of the biggest games we seemed to make the wrong at call. I know I'm not qualified to make these types of oberservations, but I saw the same thing the whole year. I saw no growth, no imagination, a lot of times it just felt like our offense was going through the motions. Honestly I was hoping for him to come back next season and prove me wrong (and he still may, but from a distance), but that's not the case any more. He gone. He got paid. Now it's time for Coach Clark to identify the best person to take up the role of OC. I'm nervous and anxious for this announcement, we have an embarrassment of riches at the skill positions and in the QB room. With the right conductor we have the potential to make major waves across the nation next year!

Go! Fight! Kick Ass!
FREQS AND GEEKS!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:25 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:22 pm
hapapp wrote:
I think its important to put some of this in perspective. Obviously, record-wise we didn't match our 13 wins and had 2 more losses. Is that the fault of the OC? Perhaps. We did average 5 points less a game this year. On the other hand we actually had better offensive stats in terms of total offense, we had rushed for 34 more yards a game, threw for 14 fewer yards.

In our two conference losses, we did underperform our seasonal averages but then again our opponents did as well. In the Coastal game, our offense exceeded what Coastal was giving up on the year in terms of points and yards. In the UL game, our total offense was below their average. Keep in mind, the conditions in which that game was played. We did actually rush for more yards than they allowed. Our passing numbers were well under their average. We also committed six turnovers in those two games. Is that play calling or execution?

I think the most glaring deficiency in our 2020 offense, was, as has been pointed out, our underperforming in the red zone. In 2019 we were successful 91% of the time v. 2020 75%. We scored TDs 78% of the time last year while only doing 58% of the time this year. One area where we were significantly more successful was on 3rd conversion. This year we succeeded 51%, compared to 44% last year.

This is not to defend Tony Peterson. Clearly, there were some issues especially in the red zone. On the other hand, in some areas were actually more productive. I find a little hard to suggest that we failed this year offensively. Where we did have some issues, was it all play calling, or how much was execution? And, I do understand that sometimes poor execution can come from bad play calls.

I just think its too simple to say we were 9-3 this year and not 11-1 because of Peterson. Perhaps, he was the wrong choice. Hopefully, if that were the case, we'll find a better match this time.
I understand and agree with the points you have made. But as someone in the "not upset TP is gone" camp, my beef is not the total yardage or total points on the ledger. For ME it was his situational play calling, especially high pressure situations. Time and again in the biggest moments of the biggest games we seemed to make the wrong at call. I know I'm not qualified to make these types of oberservations, but I saw the same thing the whole year. I saw no growth, no imagination, a lot of times it just felt like our offense was going through the motions. Honestly I was hoping for him to come back next season and prove me wrong (and he still may, but from a distance), but that's not the case any more. He gone. He got paid. Now it's time for Coach Clark to identify the best person to take up the role of OC. I'm nervous and anxious for this announcement, we have an embarrassment of riches at the skill positions and in the QB room. With the right conductor we have the potential to make major waves across the nation next year!

Go! Fight! Kick Ass!
Skill positions, yes. QBs, not so much. We have a great big question mark there, and it’s imperative that we find a QB coach - whether he’s the OC or not - who can develop talent there, for next year and the long term.

CornCobPipes

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:32 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:54 pm
Does he need help packing?
Last edited by CornCobPipes on Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KICK ASS!!!

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:40 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:25 pm
NavyApp wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:22 pm
hapapp wrote:

Go! Fight! Kick Ass!
Skill positions, yes. QBs, not so much. We have a great big question mark there, and it’s imperative that we find a QB coach - whether he’s the OC or not - who can develop talent there, for next year and the long term.
You're 100% correct; and I should have slowed down and hashed out what I meant by QBs. The "on paper" talent in our QB room is unprecedented for us. With the right hire that "on paper" talent should become on field success and in a hurry. But again you're 100% right.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:00 pm

I am one who tries to keep things in perspective and not be quick to pull the trigger. We have lots of people on this board who are ultra reactive to anything negative- just look at the game day threads. We fall behind 7-0...fire the coaches!! We win 42-7 and everything is right with the world. I’m not defending Petersen but if out tight end doesn’t get stripped on a certain or near certain TD it’s a different deal at Marshall. If Zac doesn’t throw a horrible PIC at CCU same thing. We run out the clock at Coastal and get a La rematch, win the championship again and win another bowl it looks crappy to want to fire the dude.

As far as his resume goes it’s full of fluff. We ain’t getting some high paid up and comer who will stay more than one year especially if we go like 11-1 next year.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:13 pm

I'm guessing spring practice will be pushed off to allow for vaccines. So, we at least have time to find a new OC and get the house in order first. Hopefully we won't lose any additional coaches although some tweaking might be in order.

appgrad98

Unread post by appgrad98 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:34 pm

MtnMan14 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:22 pm
Appstrong wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:48 pm
Champ24 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:30 pm
We should be looking at Tom Knotts. At Dutch Fork
Unless something has changed, he does not have an interest in the college game.

https://www.wltx.com/article/sports/hig ... 886782db1c
I grew up about 2 mins from Independence high school in Charlotte and attended high school there during the Knotts era. Knotts is an insanely talented high school coach, but I think the reason he really wasn’t a fan of coaching at Duke was because he wasn’t the head guy. He left independence for Dutch fork because he’s also the AD down there and controls everything. Obviously he likes to be in control. College coaching can be too political. Plus he’s gotta be in his mid 60s now and has a son in school still. Don’t see him moving.
Take a look at what he makes, that was a big part of why he left for SC. Cross the border and the pay is much, much higher. As AD and HC he brings in over 100k. Plus, I believe he reached full retirement from NC. He has also been in SC long enough to retire. I have heard he has entertained a couple of Ga. hs jobs in the past couple of years.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:07 pm

Knots? That’s crazy talk. Druther have Don Knotts if he’s living.

InFor6More

Unread post by InFor6More » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:06 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
appst89 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Hard to adjust when you are using 2nd and third string guys. Case in point. In the bowl game, we were doing a pretty good job of stuffing the NT rushing attack. Once Earle, (our 2nd string NT) left the game with an injury, things changed. NT ran on our 3rd and 4th string guys pretty handily. Mind you, they did a pretty decent job, but they showed that they weren’t quite to the same talent level of Earle. Not yet anyway. My point is this, no one cared since the offense was humming and we won handily. But I would say that some of you need to apply that same understanding of talent level disparity to the guys on offense. Wells, Horn, and Davis will be good. But they aren’t Hennigan, Virgil, and Sutton. Nor should they be expected to.
C’mon now, we didn’t have the injury bug quite like you would have everyone believe. Even if we did, that’s just a sorry excuse. It’s next man up. I know that recruiting rankings don’t mean much but there’s tons of talent on our depth chart and to say that our troubles were due to injuries is a total cop out.

MtnMan14

Unread post by MtnMan14 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:11 pm

appgrad98 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:34 pm
MtnMan14 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:22 pm
Appstrong wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:48 pm
Champ24 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:30 pm
We should be looking at Tom Knotts. At Dutch Fork
Unless something has changed, he does not have an interest in the college game.

https://www.wltx.com/article/sports/hig ... 886782db1c
I grew up about 2 mins from Independence high school in Charlotte and attended high school there during the Knotts era. Knotts is an insanely talented high school coach, but I think the reason he really wasn’t a fan of coaching at Duke was because he wasn’t the head guy. He left independence for Dutch fork because he’s also the AD down there and controls everything. Obviously he likes to be in control. College coaching can be too political. Plus he’s gotta be in his mid 60s now and has a son in school still. Don’t see him moving.
Take a look at what he makes, that was a big part of why he left for SC. Cross the border and the pay is much, much higher. As AD and HC he brings in over 100k. Plus, I believe he reached full retirement from NC. He has also been in SC long enough to retire. I have heard he has entertained a couple of Ga. hs jobs in the past couple of years.
Money was definitely a huge factor for why he left independence for Dutch fork. My best friend was a running back on the team at the time and said knotts walked in the weight room and wrote two numbers on the white board and said that was why he was leaving. One was his current salary at independence and one was what he was going to make at Dutch fork which was substantially more haha. But I meant more for why he would prefer to stay a Dutch fork as opposed to going back to the college level. He’s got all of the control at Dutch Fork. He’d make more money as OC at App I believe, but have way less control. I believe that’s why he didn’t love coaching at duke. Well that and Ted roof was the head coach and we all know how loved he is...

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:20 pm

InFor6More wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:06 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
appst89 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
C’mon now, we didn’t have the injury bug quite like you would have everyone believe. Even if we did, that’s just a sorry excuse. It’s next man up. I know that recruiting rankings don’t mean much but there’s tons of talent on our depth chart and to say that our troubles were due to injuries is a total cop out.
AppSt94 makes good points. While it is next man up, he's spot on about the difference once Earle left the game. If you don't want to think that a healthy Virgil made a difference during the GaSo game or a healthy Hennigan made a difference to the effectiveness of the passing game, or that a healthy Pearson made a huge difference to the effectiveness of our run game, you might want to go back and watch the games.
Our losses were not 100% because of TP's play calling ability. Perhaps he wasn't the right fit at App State, but he was hired away from the program (perhaps it was mutual), not left on the curb. Just as Ted Roof was hired away from the program last year, after many felt that he was incapable during the first half of last season.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:22 pm

InFor6More wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
appst89 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
If you expect a freshman to step in for one of the big three and it be a seamless transition then there is no point in discussing this point. You don’t see where you are wrong in your expectations.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:52 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:22 pm
InFor6More wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
appst89 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
If you expect a freshman to step in for one of the big three and it be a seamless transition then there is no point in discussing this point. You don’t see where you are wrong in your expectations.
That is 100% correct. Usually won't be a seamless transition. Which is why it's on the OC to use that players strengths (instead of the injured players strengths) in the play calling. Petersen didn't do that.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:11 pm

I recall freshman stepping up each year. Noel this year was a great example.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:25 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:11 pm
I recall freshman stepping up each year. Noel this year was a great example.
WR, along with RB, is also probably the easiest position for a freshman to play. We’ve seen before with Meadors and Hennigan, among others, and we’re hardly unique in

The fact that we didn’t have any freshman, sophomore or junior WRs ready to play isn’t really a Petersen issue. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t an issue.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:53 pm

Let's remember gentlemen, that for an incoming freshman or even a R-shirt freshman to make a big impact is exceedingly rare. While we continue to recruit better and better kids, it is still a lot to ask of them to replace starters and have the same impact that the starters do.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”