• Birthdays

new oc

EastHallApp
Posts: 6116
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 2759 times
Been thanked: 2366 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:22 pm

This thread needs to get back to its intended purpose: name-dropping every 20-something former App player and every elderly high school coach in NC to be in charge of our offense next year.



User avatar
moonshine
Posts: 1868
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:25 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: High Country
Has thanked: 254 times
Been thanked: 607 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:24 pm

I'll throw a name out there that might be worth a look. I haven't really paid much attention to Kent St.'s offense so not sure if it would be a great fit for App's personnel but OC-Andrew Sowder shows promise. The Golden Flashes went from 127th of total offense in 2018 to 64th in 2019. That's quite the jump especially considering Kent St. played Arizona St., Auburn and Wisconsin last year.

Through 4 games this year (yes not a great sample size), Kent St. ranked 1st in total offense, ranking 1st in scoring, 3rd in rushing and 10th in passing. I realize they only played MAC teams but the only loss was to Buffalo where the Golden Flashes gave up 70 points. :o Their defense allowed over 500 rushing yards and 10 rushing TD's :lol:


Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

AppfaninCAALand
Posts: 607
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:44 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Richmond, VA
Has thanked: 133 times
Been thanked: 285 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:30 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:22 pm
This thread needs to get back to its intended purpose: name-dropping every 20-something former App player and every elderly high school coach in NC to be in charge of our offense next year.
I'd guess Hannibal or Scipio Africanus are just as likely to be App's new OC as most of the names mentioned, were it not the fact they have been dead 2200 years.
Last edited by AppfaninCAALand on Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.



AppSt94
Posts: 4914
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Palmetto, FL
Has thanked: 2302 times
Been thanked: 1389 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:35 pm

moonshine wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:24 pm
I'll throw a name out there that might be worth a look. I haven't really paid much attention to Kent St.'s offense so not sure if it would be a great fit for App's personnel but OC-Andrew Sowder shows promise. The Golden Flashes went from 127th of total offense in 2018 to 64th in 2019. That's quite the jump especially considering Kent St. played Arizona St., Auburn and Wisconsin last year.

Through 4 games this year (yes not a great sample size), Kent St. ranked 1st in total offense, ranking 1st in scoring, 3rd in rushing and 10th in passing. I realize they only played MAC teams but the only loss was to Buffalo where the Golden Flashes gave up 70 points. :o Their defense allowed over 500 rushing yards and 10 rushing TD's :lol:
He fits the criteria?



User avatar
moonshine
Posts: 1868
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:25 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: High Country
Has thanked: 254 times
Been thanked: 607 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:47 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:35 pm
He fits the criteria?
Based on a quick search, looks like Sowder makes $126k and TP was making $200k.


Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Rick83
Posts: 2279
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:00 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1515 times
Been thanked: 1232 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:42 pm

I'm reminded of when Satt left and this board was honing in on some likely candidates, even tracking plane traffic into Hickory. DG then announces Drinkwitz as the new head coach...and we were like...Drinkwho? We then nearly had an undefeated season.



Tbatchelor1977
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:32 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 267 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by Tbatchelor1977 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:39 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:35 pm
moonshine wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:24 pm
I'll throw a name out there that might be worth a look. I haven't really paid much attention to Kent St.'s offense so not sure if it would be a great fit for App's personnel but OC-Andrew Sowder shows promise. The Golden Flashes went from 127th of total offense in 2018 to 64th in 2019. That's quite the jump especially considering Kent St. played Arizona St., Auburn and Wisconsin last year.

Through 4 games this year (yes not a great sample size), Kent St. ranked 1st in total offense, ranking 1st in scoring, 3rd in rushing and 10th in passing. I realize they only played MAC teams but the only loss was to Buffalo where the Golden Flashes gave up 70 points. :o Their defense allowed over 500 rushing yards and 10 rushing TD's :lol:
He fits the criteria?
so your saying, we take the OC and the DC as a package deal :D


Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!

AppAlum1
Posts: 627
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:18 am
Has thanked: 165 times
Been thanked: 191 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:45 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:19 pm
AppAlum1 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:14 pm
Ok so if i understand your position, you think it is a good idea to hire two OCs so that we can lose some games and then we will win the war in some elephantine fashion by firing everyone and bringing in some new faces. Did i state your position correctly?

Thats nuts.

My only serious point is that two leaders do not work. For anything. The battle of Canar (notice i did not say a war against the Romans) is a perfect example.
That is certainly not my position, re football hiring. Chill out. I was simply making lame attempt at a sarcastic comment in the "hey, I get that reference" vein. Your point on football staff is spot on.
Sorry. Chilled out. Just underscores my other position that we need a sarcasm font.

And for the record, i would be using that font. Alot.

We all want whats best for App football.

Im looking forward to games where we are actually tailgating before going in to a full KBS!



AppSt94
Posts: 4914
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Palmetto, FL
Has thanked: 2302 times
Been thanked: 1389 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:55 pm

moonshine wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:47 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:35 pm
He fits the criteria?
Based on a quick search, looks like Sowder makes $126k and TP was making $200k.
After some enhanced due diligence on the lad, I am going to retract my previous statement and say that he doesn't check all the boxes. He only has a couple of years as a QB coach which I don't expect to be enough for CSC. Secondly, he runs a spread offense. We are a running team and I don't know that he would want to acquiesce his play calling strategy to our style. For the record, I wouldn't be opposed to the hire. I just don't think that he fits the criteria.



User avatar
Rekdiver
Posts: 6013
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:14 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 972 times
Been thanked: 2405 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:11 pm

I’ll save all my comments so I can criticize the hire🤥



AppSt94
Posts: 4914
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Palmetto, FL
Has thanked: 2302 times
Been thanked: 1389 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:24 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:11 pm
I’ll save all my comments so I can criticize the hire🤥
You might as well comment now. There is no limit on the number of times that you can flip-flop on your opinion.



User avatar
goapps93
Posts: 3039
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 321 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:04 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:55 pm
moonshine wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:47 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:35 pm
He fits the criteria?
Based on a quick search, looks like Sowder makes $126k and TP was making $200k.
After some enhanced due diligence on the lad, I am going to retract my previous statement and say that he doesn't check all the boxes. He only has a couple of years as a QB coach which I don't expect to be enough for CSC. Secondly, he runs a spread offense. We are a running team and I don't know that he would want to acquiesce his play calling strategy to our style. For the record, I wouldn't be opposed to the hire. I just don't think that he fits the criteria.
Um, the spread offense utilizes the run game. We are a spread offense. Just not as pass heavy. But I get what you're saying.


WE ARE YOSEF!

The Rock
Posts: 1606
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:11 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 727 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:28 pm

I know we are going to keep the offensive style that has made us successful the past several years, but Andre Goodman is a very mobile QB and could be a great asset in a spread style offense



User avatar
moonshine
Posts: 1868
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:25 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: High Country
Has thanked: 254 times
Been thanked: 607 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:32 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:55 pm
After some enhanced due diligence on the lad, I am going to retract my previous statement and say that he doesn't check all the boxes. He only has a couple of years as a QB coach which I don't expect to be enough for CSC. Secondly, he runs a spread offense. We are a running team and I don't know that he would want to acquiesce his play calling strategy to our style. For the record, I wouldn't be opposed to the hire. I just don't think that he fits the criteria.
FTR, based on the small 2020 sample size, Kent St. was 3rd in rushing and ahead of App. Sounds like he’d be able maintain the run first mentality which I’m a huge proponent of while also boosting the passing game. I mean if he can make that kind of improvement at a place like Kent St., think of what he could do with App’s talent.

As much as I’d love to have a former player running the offense, IMO no one mentioned has enough experience to be the current OC at our alma mater. I was just trying to throw out a legitimate name that seems to improve his team, is a current FBS OC and someone App can actually afford.


Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

AppSt94
Posts: 4914
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Palmetto, FL
Has thanked: 2302 times
Been thanked: 1389 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:11 pm

moonshine wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:32 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:55 pm
After some enhanced due diligence on the lad, I am going to retract my previous statement and say that he doesn't check all the boxes. He only has a couple of years as a QB coach which I don't expect to be enough for CSC. Secondly, he runs a spread offense. We are a running team and I don't know that he would want to acquiesce his play calling strategy to our style. For the record, I wouldn't be opposed to the hire. I just don't think that he fits the criteria.
FTR, based on the small 2020 sample size, Kent St. was 3rd in rushing and ahead of App. Sounds like he’d be able maintain the run first mentality which I’m a huge proponent of while also boosting the passing game. I mean if he can make that kind of improvement at a place like Kent St., think of what he could do with App’s talent.

As much as I’d love to have a former player running the offense, IMO no one mentioned has enough experience to be the current OC at our alma mater. I was just trying to throw out a legitimate name that seems to improve his team, is a current FBS OC and someone App can actually afford.
All cogent points. Based on the criteria set forth for the hire, I don’t find that he is ideal. Not necessarily out of the realm of possibility, but his lack of QB development works against him.



User avatar
Woodstovegang
Posts: 427
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:02 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: HICKORY
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 83 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:38 pm

moonshine wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:24 pm
I'll throw a name out there that might be worth a look. I haven't really paid much attention to Kent St.'s offense so not sure if it would be a great fit for App's personnel but OC-Andrew Sowder shows promise. The Golden Flashes went from 127th of total offense in 2018 to 64th in 2019. That's quite the jump especially considering Kent St. played Arizona St., Auburn and Wisconsin last year.

Through 4 games this year (yes not a great sample size), Kent St. ranked 1st in total offense, ranking 1st in scoring, 3rd in rushing and 10th in passing. I realize they only played MAC teams but the only loss was to Buffalo where the Golden Flashes gave up 70 points. :o Their defense allowed over 500 rushing yards and 10 rushing TD's :lol:
Just about 20 post late.......


Image

User avatar
Woodstovegang
Posts: 427
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:02 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: HICKORY
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 83 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:40 pm

Woodstovegang wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:35 pm
As I've said before, if it's not the next man up in the program; then Buffalo OC ANDY KOTELNICKI or ANDREW SOWDER from Kent State. Both have experience in our climate and expand recruiting footprint. We could sell these as a step up to next offer. Sowder especially could help the QB coaching next year. We could afford both compared to current $
Moonshine jump on the ANDY KOTELNICKI game before the next poach.


Image

Yosef10
Posts: 1518
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:15 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 265 times
Been thanked: 552 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:48 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:11 pm
moonshine wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:32 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:55 pm
After some enhanced due diligence on the lad, I am going to retract my previous statement and say that he doesn't check all the boxes. He only has a couple of years as a QB coach which I don't expect to be enough for CSC. Secondly, he runs a spread offense. We are a running team and I don't know that he would want to acquiesce his play calling strategy to our style. For the record, I wouldn't be opposed to the hire. I just don't think that he fits the criteria.
FTR, based on the small 2020 sample size, Kent St. was 3rd in rushing and ahead of App. Sounds like he’d be able maintain the run first mentality which I’m a huge proponent of while also boosting the passing game. I mean if he can make that kind of improvement at a place like Kent St., think of what he could do with App’s talent.

As much as I’d love to have a former player running the offense, IMO no one mentioned has enough experience to be the current OC at our alma mater. I was just trying to throw out a legitimate name that seems to improve his team, is a current FBS OC and someone App can actually afford.
All cogent points. Based on the criteria set forth for the hire, I don’t find that he is ideal. Not necessarily out of the realm of possibility, but his lack of QB development works against him.
Lincoln Riley was a GA for a year and a WR coach for 3 years at TT before being hired at ECU as their QB coach and OC. I’m not saying this guy is Lincoln Riley, but I’m saying you miss out on quality hires with the kind of thinking.

I also wouldn’t say he lacks QB development, he gets to claim Dustin Crum and that’s a pretty nice skin to have on the wall.



EastHallApp
Posts: 6116
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 2759 times
Been thanked: 2366 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:07 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:48 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:11 pm
moonshine wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:32 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:55 pm
After some enhanced due diligence on the lad, I am going to retract my previous statement and say that he doesn't check all the boxes. He only has a couple of years as a QB coach which I don't expect to be enough for CSC. Secondly, he runs a spread offense. We are a running team and I don't know that he would want to acquiesce his play calling strategy to our style. For the record, I wouldn't be opposed to the hire. I just don't think that he fits the criteria.
FTR, based on the small 2020 sample size, Kent St. was 3rd in rushing and ahead of App. Sounds like he’d be able maintain the run first mentality which I’m a huge proponent of while also boosting the passing game. I mean if he can make that kind of improvement at a place like Kent St., think of what he could do with App’s talent.

As much as I’d love to have a former player running the offense, IMO no one mentioned has enough experience to be the current OC at our alma mater. I was just trying to throw out a legitimate name that seems to improve his team, is a current FBS OC and someone App can actually afford.
All cogent points. Based on the criteria set forth for the hire, I don’t find that he is ideal. Not necessarily out of the realm of possibility, but his lack of QB development works against him.
Lincoln Riley was a GA for a year and a WR coach for 3 years at TT before being hired at ECU as their QB coach and OC. I’m not saying this guy is Lincoln Riley, but I’m saying you miss out on quality hires with the kind of thinking.

I also wouldn’t say he lacks QB development, he gets to claim Dustin Crum and that’s a pretty nice skin to have on the wall.
Yeah, I'm not really familiar with the guy, and it's too late for me to look him up, but... how many years of successful FBS QB coaching are we expecting to require with our bottom-rung salary position?

If anything, I'm wondering if the modest pay bump we could offer would be sufficient to pull away sitting MAC OCs from places where they're already established and doing well.



User avatar
GreatAppSt
Posts: 4502
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2001 10:51 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 705 times
Been thanked: 2185 times
Contact:

Re: new oc

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:29 am

Tom Herman might need a step down/rebound gig. I kid, I kid. :geek:


Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 157 users online :: 3 registered, 1 hidden and 153 guests

    Most users ever online was 1927 on Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:27 am

    Users browsing this forum: appswin1, MAD Doctor, Tbatchelor1977 and 153 guests