Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

new oc

Appstate88
School: Appalachian State

Re: new oc

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:22 pm

No matter who is named the starter (QB1), hope they perform like Zac did in his first start. I was fortunate enough to see it in person. We gained more Big 10 respect in Happy Valley that day.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:32 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:45 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:48 am
Woodstovegang wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:52 pm
Can we get iron mike back?
There are rumors that he is hard to work with but he does a great job and I know he is liked by players. I would rather have someone competent who does a great job that is a little hard to work with than someone who is the nicest person in the world who can't get the job done.
He's more than "a little hard to work with."
I'm trying to be nice because he was good at his job but I know there are some who would agree with you for sure.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:45 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:17 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:03 pm
NavyApp wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:59 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:52 am
NavyApp wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:09 am

What is this in reference too?
Iron Mike coming back. Sorry for the confusion.
Oh no, you're good. I just didn't want to make an assumption. I'm with you on Mike, I have heard some things from a strength and conditioning professional(not on the staff nor has he ever been) very familiar with App and Mike. At this point I'm happy with what he accomplished and here and the fact he has taken his talents elsewhere.
I agree that I don't want him back. Just saying though that if I HAD to choose between incompetence and results that I would take the results. One of the observations made to me on Mike was that he knew who he could be himself around and was good with politics here.

On Ponce, knowing how good he did with Zac I am very excited about this. If he can get the best out of Brice, Shuler, and Tabscott I have to believe our expectations increase. I was expecting 4-5 losses but now it is 3, worst case, with Ponce tutoring Brice.
That’s a short sided response. Results are great but you are comparing it against the wrong dynamics. There were issues with him that were causing issues that just can’t be tolerated because of win/loss records.
Amen!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:18 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:27 am
Unlike some of you I am not giving the QB job to Brice. I think there will be stiff competition with him, Tapscott and Shuler. The QB room should be very interesting this winter and spring.
Agree with this sentiment, though I'd replace Shuler with Goodman.

I do expect Brice to start game 1. Whether he starts game 12, we'll see.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:26 pm

Watched Shuler play several times in H.S. Would be surprised if he’s improved enough to start for us next season. Or afterwards.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:47 pm

Perhaps, but Not too shabby:

“As a junior, he became the first WNC quarterback to pass for more than 4,000 yards and 44 touchdowns in a season, breaking his father's records at Swain County.” .....“Navy finished the 2018 season with more passing yards than any quarterback in the state and was ranked No. 22 in the nation.”

https://amp.citizen-times.com/amp/1557933001

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:16 am

I’m surprised no one has mentioned that a coach is missing from the website...
Give 'em hell!

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:37 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:16 am
I was just about to post this. Unfortunately it looks like we may have lost our OLB coach. Coach Braswell seems like an incredible guy and seems to really be a rising star in the coaching ranks. Hate to lose him, if true.

GO APPS!!

AppNC

Unread post by AppNC » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:41 am

appstate24 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:37 am
BeauFoster wrote:
I was just about to post this. Unfortunately it looks like we may have lost our OLB coach. Coach Braswell seems like an incredible guy and seems to really be a rising star in the coaching ranks. Hate to lose him, if true.

GO APPS!!
Ethan Joyce confirmed on Twitter that Braswell's last day at App was on Friday.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:47 am

appstate24 wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:

GO APPS!!
Hate losing Braswell, if true, seems like a great young coach and the players seem to love him. I wish him nothing but success in the future.

If the OLB coaching position is in fact open does John Law get a look? Already on the staff, understands what Dale Jones requires of his LBs. I know we don't always have to hire from within the family but some guys just look the part and The Law Man is one of them.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:49 am

NavyApp wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:47 am
appstate24 wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:

GO APPS!!
Hate losing Braswell, if true, seems like a great young coach and the players seem to love him. I wish him nothing but success in the future.

If the OLB coaching position is in fact open does John Law get a look? Already on the staff, understands what Dale Jones requires of his LBs. I know we don't always have to hire from within the family but some guys just look the part and The Law Man is one of them.
If Law is able to transfer the passion and precision with which he played the game to his players, I'm all about him taking the reigns in place of Braswell. Loved watching him play. Good luck to Braswell.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:41 am

i like the Ponce hire because he is a great recruiter, very good qb coach and he worked out really well the last stint in Boone. My only negative thoughts are that as a top 40 program we just hired a guy with no college game calling experience. I wonder how many candidates that were interviewed had previous experience with offensive play calling on a college level. From the outside, it seems like one of the most important qualifications for a football coaching position at App continues to be prior connections with App and I am not really a fan of that mindset. I feel we are a desirable job and should get the best candidate regardless of ties to our school. That being said, I do understand that Coach Clark has a long work history with Ponce and clearly he knows that Ponce is more than capable of doing the job so or he would not have given it to him, it is just another example of the optics looking like its still the same old same old. I am very excited to see how Ponce calls a game and really hope it is far far far far better than that Thundering Turd that we had last year.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:56 am

t4pizza wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:41 am
i like the Ponce hire because he is a great recruiter, very good qb coach and he worked out really well the last stint in Boone. My only negative thoughts are that as a top 40 program we just hired a guy with no college game calling experience. I wonder how many candidates that were interviewed had previous experience with offensive play calling on a college level. From the outside, it seems like one of the most important qualifications for a football coaching position at App continues to be prior connections with App and I am not really a fan of that mindset. I feel we are a desirable job and should get the best candidate regardless of ties to our school. That being said, I do understand that Coach Clark has a long work history with Ponce and clearly he knows that Ponce is more than capable of doing the job so or he would not have given it to him, it is just another example of the optics looking like its still the same old same old. I am very excited to see how Ponce calls a game and really hope it is far far far far better than that Thundering Turd that we had last year.
You really can not discount the effect of our hiring range for these positions. The only OC's with game calling experience are either going to be out of our price range or out of job for a reason. So the options are hire a re-tread OC who the game probably has passed by; hire a young up and comer and hope they can call a game effectively. The Ponce hire kind of straddles those lines, two HUGE pluses for him though are we(and our coaching staff) know that he can develop QBs at a high level which was very important for Clark in the hiring process, and his recruiting presence in SoFlo. I am very excited to see how Ponce brings our QBs along, all things considered I believe this is a great hire.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:27 am

The Greenies don’t play a high level of competition.Hopefully he can adjust and improve. A lot.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:25 pm

While Ponce was never the lone game caller, no doubt in his position he communicated to Satt what would work in a given situation. Remember he was in the box when he was here. My guess is he's not as green as one might assume.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:48 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:41 am
Top 40 program in terms of recent on-field results. Maybe top 100 in terms of what we can pay coaches.

On the career ladder of FBS coaching jobs, we’re an entry-level position.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:39 pm

hapapp wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:25 pm
While Ponce was never the lone game caller, no doubt in his position he communicated to Satt what would work in a given situation. Remember he was in the box when he was here. My guess is he's not as green as one might assume.
Stonewall wasn’t talking about Ponce. The Greenies is the nickname of a high school.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:25 pm

Ponce was co-OC while here and in charge of the passing game. He's had plenty of experience calling games. If you think he only called the pass plays, you are kidding yourself.

Satt has been a proponent of calling plays by committee -- both offense and defense. In simple terms (way more complex than this), the eyes in the box call down what the other team is showing and gives suggestions. The OC confirms or changes. Ponce has been in the box since he joined Satt's staff.

Ponce knows what he's doing when it comes to calling a game. There's a reason his nickname is The Guru!
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:25 pm

Boone Goon wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:39 pm
hapapp wrote:
Stonewall wasn’t talking about Ponce. The Greenies is the nickname of a high school.
I wasn’t referring to his post. Someone else had expressed some concern about Ponce’s inexperience as a play caller.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:05 pm

hapapp wrote:
I had the same thought and it appears ASNews has confirmed it. While FP maybe has not been the sole play caller, one can only imagine he's had input into play design and in-game calls. FP knows App's style of offense, still knows some of the players, has worked with some of the current staff, has shown he can develop QB's and brings the FL recruiting pipeline connection.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”