• Birthdays

new oc

AppSt94
Posts: 4919
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Palmetto, FL
Has thanked: 2310 times
Been thanked: 1390 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:09 pm

With Ponce, Rowe, and DiBastiani, we have Florida locked up.



WASU 93
Posts: 696
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:51 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 325 times
Been thanked: 381 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:49 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:48 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:41 am
i like the Ponce hire because he is a great recruiter, very good qb coach and he worked out really well the last stint in Boone. My only negative thoughts are that as a top 40 program we just hired a guy with no college game calling experience. I wonder how many candidates that were interviewed had previous experience with offensive play calling on a college level. From the outside, it seems like one of the most important qualifications for a football coaching position at App continues to be prior connections with App and I am not really a fan of that mindset. I feel we are a desirable job and should get the best candidate regardless of ties to our school. That being said, I do understand that Coach Clark has a long work history with Ponce and clearly he knows that Ponce is more than capable of doing the job so or he would not have given it to him, it is just another example of the optics looking like its still the same old same old. I am very excited to see how Ponce calls a game and really hope it is far far far far better than that Thundering Turd that we had last year.
Top 40 program in terms of recent on-field results. Maybe top 100 in terms of what we can pay coaches.

On the career ladder of FBS coaching jobs, we’re an entry-level position.
I don't dispute a word that you say in regards to what we can pay. However, I do think we offer couple of things that other Programs don't offer:

1. Living in Boone
2. Our record of success

I understand that a lot of coaches are looking to climb the ladder, max out their earning potential and eventually work on a staff like Saban's, if they don't become a head coach.

However, I'm sure that there are many solid coaches who can appreciate living in Boone for several years and enjoy being a part of a perpetually winning program. I think Clark has the opportunity to put together a core staff that can collectively continue to build the program, some advancing from the lower ranks, some being from pure Mountaineer blood :D and some stepping back from the constant P5 churn.

Rotate in some up and comers who are destined for bigger things, but bring fresh ideas and keep the program from being stagnant and there's a potential formula for continued long-term success, even at our budget level. Treat those short termers properly, and help them build for their future successes and our brand only continues to grow.



crzyfrnk
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:58 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: new oc

Unread post by crzyfrnk » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:01 pm

Ponce has fell into a gold mine....a lot of Seniors coming back plus a transfer QB from Duke who is made for the offense we run.....I'm looking forward to seeing them light up the scoreboard



Rick83
Posts: 2281
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:00 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1518 times
Been thanked: 1232 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:49 am

Great article by Ethan Joyce that talks about the Ponce and Brice additions and how they developed:

"Shawn Clark thinks he's found strong answers to two big questions for App State football"
https://journalnow.com/sports/college/a ... qXPgk04FB8



Saint3333
Posts: 10690
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 8:42 am
Has thanked: 1439 times
Been thanked: 2041 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:30 pm

Good points about his development of Lamb and Zac. Also a good point about him putting the game plan together. He’ll be the guy now, good luck coach.



AppStFan1
Posts: 3025
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 148 times
Been thanked: 597 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:49 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:30 pm
Good points about his development of Lamb and Zac. Also a good point about him putting the game plan together. He’ll be the guy now, good luck coach.
Agreed. I feel like Ponce got the most out of those two from a position coach standpoint.

Even though I am concerned about Brice and the turnovers, I will say that of all the QB coaches we have had that Ponce should be able to production out of him, if there is some to get. Best of luck to coach and glad to have him back!



AppSt94
Posts: 4919
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Palmetto, FL
Has thanked: 2310 times
Been thanked: 1390 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:59 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:49 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:30 pm
Good points about his development of Lamb and Zac. Also a good point about him putting the game plan together. He’ll be the guy now, good luck coach.
Agreed. I feel like Ponce got the most out of those two from a position coach standpoint.

Even though I am concerned about Brice and the turnovers, I will say that of all the QB coaches we have had that Ponce should be able to production out of him, if there is some to get. Best of luck to coach and glad to have him back!
How many of “Brice’s” turnovers can be attributed to him specifically? How many of Zac’s were truly on him?



appbanker
Posts: 343
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:26 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 100 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by appbanker » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:30 am

Just pondering, do you think Zac would have come back for another year if he had known that Ponce was coming back?



AppSt94
Posts: 4919
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Palmetto, FL
Has thanked: 2310 times
Been thanked: 1390 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:33 am

appbanker wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:30 am
Just pondering, do you think Zac would have come back for another year if he had known that Ponce was coming back?
No. He committed to this being his last year before the end of the season.



AppStFan1
Posts: 3025
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 148 times
Been thanked: 597 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:11 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:59 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:49 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:30 pm
Good points about his development of Lamb and Zac. Also a good point about him putting the game plan together. He’ll be the guy now, good luck coach.
Agreed. I feel like Ponce got the most out of those two from a position coach standpoint.

Even though I am concerned about Brice and the turnovers, I will say that of all the QB coaches we have had that Ponce should be able to production out of him, if there is some to get. Best of luck to coach and glad to have him back!
How many of “Brice’s” turnovers can be attributed to him specifically? How many of Zac’s were truly on him?
Have not taken time to count exact. I think some were their fault and some were the circumstances surrounding them. Zac's issues with our OC and Brice did not have much talent around him. I'm glad Ponce is back and believe that if Brice or the others are SBC caliber talent that he will get it out of them.



bigdaddyg
Posts: 3671
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:08 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 1164 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:47 am

In my opinion as far as the Brice situation goes he just transferred to a better football program. Duke had their mini run a few years ago but like many just ok P5 programs they got exposed this season. Most P5’s rely on those 3-4 non-conference wins against FCS or bad G5’s then hope to go 3-5 or 4-4 in conference play in order to finish at 6-6 or 7-5 and then grab a decent bowl game. I firmly believe that our offensive line would have fared much better if they replaced the Duke line. As far as Ponce goes he really made a potentially great decision. If he makes the right calls we should have another juggernaut offense and he will either want to stay a while or he will join that “hot” name list.



BallantyneApp
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:33 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 214 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:54 am

Ledford reportedly hired by the Falcons. I guess we're about to see if Satt thinks Ponce can be a P5 coordinator now. I tend to think he will need a year or two of actually calling plays in order to move up to the P5, but we'll see.



User avatar
appst89
Site Admin
Posts: 9341
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2000 3:26 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 204 times
Been thanked: 1240 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:21 am

BallantyneApp wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:54 am
Ledford reportedly hired by the Falcons. I guess we're about to see if Satt thinks Ponce can be a P5 coordinator now. I tend to think he will need a year or two of actually calling plays in order to move up to the P5, but we'll see.
It had to be no secret that Ledford was looking to the NFL. The fact that Ponce is at App makes me wonder if there wasn't already a conversation between him and Satt where Satt told Ponce that he wouldn't be able to promote him to OC if Ledford left. I can't believe that Ponce would have left UL knowing that Ledford was pursuing an NFL job if he thought he had a chance at being OC there.

And I may be completely wrong.



EastHallApp
Posts: 6119
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 2762 times
Been thanked: 2372 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:37 am

appst89 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:21 am
BallantyneApp wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:54 am
Ledford reportedly hired by the Falcons. I guess we're about to see if Satt thinks Ponce can be a P5 coordinator now. I tend to think he will need a year or two of actually calling plays in order to move up to the P5, but we'll see.
It had to be no secret that Ledford was looking to the NFL. The fact that Ponce is at App makes me wonder if there wasn't already a conversation between him and Satt where Satt told Ponce that he wouldn't be able to promote him to OC if Ledford left. I can't believe that Ponce would have left UL knowing that Ledford was pursuing an NFL job if he thought he had a chance at being OC there.

And I may be completely wrong.
Makes sense to me. I don't think it would be a stretch at all for Satt to make Ponce OC though. Much more experienced that Brown was when Satt made him DC at App. Guess we'll find out.



Yosef84
Posts: 2958
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 am
Has thanked: 526 times
Been thanked: 1415 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:58 am

Satt has a real budget to work with at UL and doesn't have to rely on an internal promotion. He can bring in an experienced FBS OC, which is probably what he needs. I know he has a great relationship with Ponce, but his seat is warm based on his discussions with SC, so he really can't afford to take a risk here. I agree with 89 that there was most likely a discussion with Ponce already before Ponce accepted the App position. I'm hoping that's the case anyway!



Appstate88
Posts: 1949
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:38 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 370 times
Been thanked: 971 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:36 pm

Ponce introduction and press conference



unknown
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:53 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by unknown » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:27 pm

appst89 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:21 am
BallantyneApp wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:54 am
Ledford reportedly hired by the Falcons. I guess we're about to see if Satt thinks Ponce can be a P5 coordinator now. I tend to think he will need a year or two of actually calling plays in order to move up to the P5, but we'll see.
It had to be no secret that Ledford was looking to the NFL. The fact that Ponce is at App makes me wonder if there wasn't already a conversation between him and Satt where Satt told Ponce that he wouldn't be able to promote him to OC if Ledford left. I can't believe that Ponce would have left UL knowing that Ledford was pursuing an NFL job if he thought he had a chance at being OC there.

And I may be completely wrong.

NFL for now but the job he really wants is NC State and he will get it the next time it is open



EastHallApp
Posts: 6119
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 2762 times
Been thanked: 2372 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:22 am

unknown wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:27 pm
appst89 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:21 am
BallantyneApp wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:54 am
Ledford reportedly hired by the Falcons. I guess we're about to see if Satt thinks Ponce can be a P5 coordinator now. I tend to think he will need a year or two of actually calling plays in order to move up to the P5, but we'll see.
It had to be no secret that Ledford was looking to the NFL. The fact that Ponce is at App makes me wonder if there wasn't already a conversation between him and Satt where Satt told Ponce that he wouldn't be able to promote him to OC if Ledford left. I can't believe that Ponce would have left UL knowing that Ledford was pursuing an NFL job if he thought he had a chance at being OC there.

And I may be completely wrong.

NFL for now but the job he really wants is NC State and he will get it the next time it is open
Why are you so confident that he’d be their choice?



unknown
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:53 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: new oc

Unread post by unknown » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:37 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:22 am
unknown wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:27 pm
appst89 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:21 am
BallantyneApp wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:54 am
Ledford reportedly hired by the Falcons. I guess we're about to see if Satt thinks Ponce can be a P5 coordinator now. I tend to think he will need a year or two of actually calling plays in order to move up to the P5, but we'll see.
It had to be no secret that Ledford was looking to the NFL. The fact that Ponce is at App makes me wonder if there wasn't already a conversation between him and Satt where Satt told Ponce that he wouldn't be able to promote him to OC if Ledford left. I can't believe that Ponce would have left UL knowing that Ledford was pursuing an NFL job if he thought he had a chance at being OC there.

And I may be completely wrong.

NFL for now but the job he really wants is NC State and he will get it the next time it is open
Why are you so confident that he’d be their choice?

They love him there. Who knows what will happen after he gets a taste of the NFL and not having to recruit. He got a 3 yr deal. 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and he will have a lot more free time during the off season than he would have in college ball. Pittsburgh was after him too so he will always have NFL options now that he is in the league



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 214 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 214 guests

    Most users ever online was 1927 on Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:27 am

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 214 guests