Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

new oc

BeauFoster
School: Appalachian State

Re: new oc

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:31 pm

unknown wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:58 pm
yosef69 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:53 pm
If I were putting money on someone without choices I would say Frank Ponce.
You should be in Vegas
It just moved a little. Will like go from 6 to midnight if it’s truly true.
Give 'em hell!

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:46 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:31 pm
unknown wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
You should be in Vegas
It just moved a little. Will like go from 6 to midnight if it’s truly true.
Then I’d say about right now you’re at 11:59!

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:55 pm

What a great wrasslin name THE UNKNOWN! From parts unknown! Wears a mask says only a few words. Things no one else knows. Appears and disappears in a cloud of smoke. His signature move is the Knowledge Soufflé. Basically a half Nelson while he whispers in his opponent’s ear. I know something you don’t I know something you don’t. Then boom! The soufflé! There’re out! THE UNKNOWN wins! A bunch of smoke and he’s gone.

Back to speculation

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:50 am

unknown wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
You should be in Vegas
nothing wrong with Ponce if true, i'm sure he can/will be successful, but I was kind of hoping for someone outside of the App family. I think our offense needs a fresh look. Obviously we are purpose built and will keep the same principles, but even the best offenses need tweaks, and a lot of times that comes from a new perspective.

The other question I would have is Ponce is making $300k (from what I googled) as QB coach at UL. Is he willing to take a ~100k paycut to maybe advance his career, or is this a case of Satt was looking to make a change anyway...

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:56 am

BallantyneApp wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:50 am
unknown wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
You should be in Vegas
nothing wrong with Ponce if true, i'm sure he can/will be successful, but I was kind of hoping for someone outside of the App family. I think our offense needs a fresh look. Obviously we are purpose built and will keep the same principles, but even the best offenses need tweaks, and a lot of times that comes from a new perspective.

The other question I would have is Ponce is making $300k (from what I googled) as QB coach at UL. Is he willing to take a ~100k paycut to maybe advance his career, or is this a case of Satt was looking to make a change anyway...

Nothing wrong with a fresh look. But I would recommend tempering any expectations of change to our approach. Especially an extreme change. That’s not going to happen. Our DNA is our DNA and CSC isn’t going to deviate from it.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:16 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:56 am
BallantyneApp wrote:
unknown wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
You should be in Vegas

Nothing wrong with a fresh look. But I would recommend tempering any expectations of change to our approach. Especially an extreme change. That’s not going to happen. Our DNA is our DNA and CSC isn’t going to deviate from it.
Agreed and i'm not advocating for a sea change to our offensive philosophy. Only some new wrinkles to give our opposition something else to think about.

GastonApp09

Unread post by GastonApp09 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:54 am

BallantyneApp wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:16 am
AppSt94 wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
unknown wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
You should be in Vegas

Agreed and i'm not advocating for a sea change to our offensive philosophy. Only some new wrinkles to give our opposition something else to think about.
If indeed Ponce is the answer, I think you would see some fresh thinking from him. He's not going to do exactly what Petersen was doing. He will keep our base concepts and add in his own wrinkles. With Ponce, and now Brice, I could see the passing offense take a large step forward.
Body stuck in Gaston County...heart stuck in Boone! Go Apps!

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:45 am

GastonApp09 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:54 am
BallantyneApp wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:16 am
AppSt94 wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
unknown wrote:

You should be in Vegas

If indeed Ponce is the answer, I think you would see some fresh thinking from him. He's not going to do exactly what Petersen was doing. He will keep our base concepts and add in his own wrinkles. With Ponce, and now Brice, I could see the passing offense take a large step forward.

I agree - he's not App through-and-through - with much of his background coming in South Fla High Schools and FIU. Add to that, 2 years in Louisville...he's been exposed to other outlets of learning than here.

Either way - if he's more of what we had 3 years ago, vs. last year, I think most of us would be OK with that.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:51 am

BallantyneApp wrote:
unknown wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
You should be in Vegas

He's actually making $430,000 according to USA Today's database. I was doubtful he'd go for that large of a pay cut, but hey, if he's willing...

I haven't heard anything to suggest Satt is looking to get rid of him, and I doubt that is the case.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:58 am

Satterfield had a less than stellar season, and a less than stellar beginning to the offseason. Already has a RB coach to replace. I wonder if there are some staff concerns as to the long term viability of their positions? Not saying they should be, I think he has done good work in a short time, but I wonder if that is influencing them any?

GastonApp09

Unread post by GastonApp09 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:37 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:51 am
BallantyneApp wrote:
unknown wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
You should be in Vegas

He's actually making $430,000 according to USA Today's database. I was doubtful he'd go for that large of a pay cut, but hey, if he's willing...

I haven't heard anything to suggest Satt is looking to get rid of him, and I doubt that is the case.
It's probably more of a situation where you take the temporary cut to bet on yourself that you can make it to that next level. Of course this is all conjecture, as he may have no intentions of ever becoming a head coach. But, if I'm in that situation, I would be ok taking that cut if I know I'm going to a situation where I can be noticed. Personally I believe OC's at App have a better shot at getting bigger looks than QB coaches at Louisville or other mid-level ACC programs.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:05 am

GastonApp09 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:37 am
EastHallApp wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
unknown wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
You should be in Vegas

It's probably more of a situation where you take the temporary cut to bet on yourself that you can make it to that next level. Of course this is all conjecture, as he may have no intentions of ever becoming a head coach. But, if I'm in that situation, I would be ok taking that cut if I know I'm going to a situation where I can be noticed. Personally I believe OC's at App have a better shot at getting bigger looks than QB coaches at Louisville or other mid-level ACC programs.
If he's willingly leaving Louisville for App, the only plausible rationale I can think of is the one you say. Even if he doesn't want to be a HC, he can probably get to a P5 OC job faster as the OC at App than as QB coach or passing game coordinator at Louisville, as long as Satt is the de facto OC. (I don't know if Satt is still calling plays at Louisville, I'm just guessing so.)

GastonApp09

Unread post by GastonApp09 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:36 am

Ponce it is! As confirmed on twitter by AppStateMania

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:39 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:05 am
GastonApp09 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
unknown wrote:

You should be in Vegas

If he's willingly leaving Louisville for App, the only plausible rationale I can think of is the one you say. Even if he doesn't want to be a HC, he can probably get to a P5 OC job faster as the OC at App than as QB coach or passing game coordinator at Louisville, as long as Satt is the de facto OC. (I don't know if Satt is still calling plays at Louisville, I'm just guessing so.)
Yep! The proof is right in front of us... Go be the OC at App for one year and don't screw it up too badly and you'll get a P5 OC job.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:41 am

GastonApp09 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:36 am
LOOOOOVE THIS! This is a huge get for us. Ponce will be great for Chase Brice and for the young QB’s. Love. This. Hire.

LET’S GOOOO!!!

GO APPS!!

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:17 pm

appstate24 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:41 am
GastonApp09 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:36 am
LOOOOOVE THIS! This is a huge get for us. Ponce will be great for Chase Brice and for the young QB’s. Love. This. Hire.

LET’S GOOOO!!!

GO APPS!!
Ponce’s south Florida connections can not be underestimated. Another major plus of this hire.

GO APPS!!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:23 pm

Really like this hire, for all the reasons stated. Welcome back Frank! And kudos to Clark for closing on a hire that might've seemed out of our reach to most people (including me).

BurkeGrad

Unread post by BurkeGrad » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:31 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Spot on prediction. Why is Ponce someone without choices? Explain

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:35 pm

BurkeGrad wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:31 pm
yosef69 wrote:
Spot on prediction. Why is Ponce someone without choices? Explain
I think he meant if he didnt have any names to choose from he would put his money on Ponce.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:37 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:05 am
GastonApp09 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
unknown wrote:

You should be in Vegas

Another possible reason here. Maybe he suspects Satt won't stay and things have gotten ugly behind the scenes there. What if the quality of the city, all the trouble over the summer, wives not liking it there, and politics of things going on after the SC job interest is driving that as well?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”