Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

new oc

Woodstovegang
School: Appalachian State

new oc

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:22 pm

"IF" we don't pull next man up in our program, I say go after U Buffalo's OC, ANDY KOTELNICKI. Kid is in top ten in country in all lanes. Has come thru Diii and Dii.

kornegaylw

Re: new oc

Unread post by kornegaylw » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:39 pm

Google says he makes $135k...is that something we can afford?

I agree though this is the route in which we should look for an OC. Young, cheap and successful.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:34 am

Woodstovegang wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:22 pm
"IF" we don't pull next man up in our program, I say go after U Buffalo's OC, ANDY KOTELNICKI. Kid is in top ten in country in all lanes. Has come thru Diii and Dii.
https://www.afca.com/afca-convention/

The annual AFCA Convention will be held in Nashville Jan. 10-12. I don't look for Shawn to make any OC decisions before the convention. It'll probably take until then for the App Office of General Counsel and the Univ. HR Office to float a vacancy announcement for either "OC/QB coach" or simply "assistant football coach/coaches."

Shawn knows his way around AFCA gatherings. He's been to them looking for better coaching jobs for himself; and more recently he's been looking to hire position coaches and coordinators for his own staff. I would imagine he'll spend a lot of time between now and Jan.9th doing a postmortem on the 2020 season with the coaching staff; making calls to guys he has some interest in hiring; and returning calls to *heavily screened* guys who'd like to be considered.

This year's AFCA is about as close to our campus as it ever gets and it's been scaled back to a three-day event (from the usual five or six days). No expensive cross-continent flights to MSP, DIA, PHX, SLC, LAX or SFO are required. I think it's well worth the investment for Shawn to go. Thousands of experienced college football coaches will be in attendance and a lot of 'em will be looking for a new coaching opportunity. T'will be a good place for Scott to network with his friends in the profession and to make himself easy to find in the crowd! :D
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:23 am

Hiring a new OC doesn't have to be done as a fire drill. The early signing is behind us and we have a while before Spring practice. I'm not saying we should wait until Feb but we do have time to evaluate and hire a solid OC. The convention definitely sounds like an opportunity that Clark will fully utilize.

Deano

Unread post by Deano » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:57 am

Question: Would you rather have another Drinkiwitz who's a hot commodity come in and win the conference but have them only here for a year, or would you rather hire like say a Taylor Lamb someone who needs to learn the ropes but is guaranteed to stay several years and we don't initially win the conference?

Just wondering what peoples take on this is , neither scenario is guaranteeing wins or losses realistically. but if you had a choice.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:08 am

Deano wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:57 am
Question: Would you rather have another Drinkiwitz who's a hot commodity come in and win the conference but have them only here for a year, or would you rather hire like say a Taylor Lamb someone who needs to learn the ropes but is guaranteed to stay several years and we don't initially win the conference?

Just wondering what peoples take on this is , neither scenario is guaranteeing wins or losses realistically. but if you had a choice.
Personally with the talent we have on the roster, I believe we should make more of a "win now" hire. Whether or not that's an option I have no idea. Whoever Clark goes with I will support!
FREQS AND GEEKS!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:13 am

I would suspect that someone like a Shane Montgomery or Matt Kubrick to be in play. Possibly a Bobby Lamb. Just throwing spaghetti.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:54 am

I’d like to have someone who would commit to five years or more. Unfortunately in the era we live in, I doubt that person exists ... App ties or not. Get the best candidate. Let the chips fall.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:04 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:54 am
I’d like to have someone who would commit to five years or more. Unfortunately in the era we live in, I doubt that person exists ... App ties or not. Get the best candidate. Let the chips fall.
It’s a fair ask, but do we offer multi year contracts to Coordinators? TP got three years from Illinois.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:08 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:13 am
I would suspect that someone like a Shane Montgomery or Matt Kubrick to be in play. Possibly a Bobby Lamb. Just throwing spaghetti.
I know nothing about Shane Montgomery other than what I read on JMU’s website, but his numbers and stats at JMU do look good.

GO APPS!!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:16 am

Deano wrote:

Hire the best person possible today. We are too good a program - with too experienced a roster - to be someone’s on-the-job training.
Last edited by EastHallApp on Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:26 am

I must say the Shane Montgomery idea is intriguing. Making 140k as the OC at JMU. Has extensive FBS experience in the OC and head coach role and has done a really good job at JMU. Either way, hire the best we can get and get back on track now. Not opposed to a Lamb coming on board and possibly two down the road if the resume reflects they are the best choice.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:33 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:04 am
AppGrad78 wrote:
It’s a fair ask, but do we offer multi year contracts to Coordinators? TP got three years from Illinois.
I think offering additional 2 year deals for coordinators (OC, DC, STC and RC). Makes sense for the people and players. Make a good first year impression and get a multi-year deal. Buyout could be 2x salary. Put DJ, JW, and BH on multi-year deals today.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:43 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:33 am
AppSt94 wrote:
AppGrad78 wrote:
I think offering additional 2 year deals for coordinators (OC, DC, STC and RC). Makes sense for the people and players. Make a good first year impression and get a multi-year deal. Buyout could be 2x salary. Put DJ, JW, and BH on multi-year deals today.
Not unreasonable. But does DG feel that way? Not sure.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:42 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:43 am
Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:33 am
AppSt94 wrote:
AppGrad78 wrote:
Not unreasonable. But does DG feel that way? Not sure.
The Cabin would have loved TP with a 2-Year Deal

gsoapp91

Unread post by gsoapp91 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:46 am

Woodstovegang wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:22 pm
His brother and family lives in the triad.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:53 am

Deano wrote:

Another Drinkwitz without thinking twice

TheAppalachianState

Unread post by TheAppalachianState » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:03 am

diehardapp18 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:53 am
Deano wrote:

Another Drinkwitz without thinking twice
Taylor pretty much ran the offense with Scott. Scott trusted Lamb fully and they made a great pair, I’d 100% be on board with Lamb and I think he’d get us a championship first go. Plus that’d be dope to get that dude back at App

App91

Unread post by App91 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:44 am

Deano wrote:

I dont think we can have an OC to learn the ropes while the HC is learning said ropes as well. Think we have to go with someone who can come in and take over. This is a position on the staff where you cannot skimp out.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:17 pm

We should get the best candidate out there and I have an impossible time believing that would be Taylor Lamb at this point in his career. I know many people on here love the fact that we bring our guys back to coach, I do as well, but that should never be the consideration in a hire. We should always go for the most qualified that wants to be here, if that happens to be an App guy all the better. We are a great football school with national recognition, there is no need for us to only look to our alumni base for coaches. I would be surprised if Clark hasn't already been contacted by guys with big time resumes. Look at the coaches that Drink brought in with him. Coaches want to coach at a winning school because it reflects well on them and opens up bigger doors. Sure, that makes us a stepping stone but I am fine with that as long as we keep winning titles.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”