Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

College Football

WVAPPeer
School: Other

College Football

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:51 am

I decided to start a thread about college football in general or APP in particular - OR - whatever is on your mind regarding college football --- changes you would like to see - things that you like / don't like - Whatever :D

First - I am glad we actually had college football this season - in a screwed-up, deadly and truly depressing year 2020, if you are like me, college football was my little salvation - I was happy to have college football!!!

The one thing I am sick of is all the mouthing, show-boating, finger-waving, trash-talking, etc., - I have told friends I just don't think I could put up with this stuff if I were coaching nowadays . Most every team does way too much of it - including our Mountaineers - Really one of the only programs where we see very little of it is Alabama - I have seen Saban pull a guy out of the game and chew him out --- Of course, I know many will say he can afford to do that because his back-ups are better than most - But it is up to the coaches to do something. The refs in the bowl games were generally terrible - the MS St - Tulsa game was pathetic ---

College Football will always be King - hopefully next season the bands, fans and atmospheres will return in full glory -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

IM4ASU
School: Appalachian State

Re: College Football

Unread post by IM4ASU » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:04 am

I agree completely about the mouthing, etc. It seems every team does their fair share. I couldn't believe all of the personal fouls called either.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:15 am

I believe that the term “student- athlete” is becoming a thing of the past. That old phrase- The name on the front of the jersey matters more than the name on the back” is about dead. Most of us that will post on this thread will probably be over 50 (me included). I am not using this observation or complaint in order to paint a broad brush over all of college football or basketball but many times it looks like a good bit of football players couldn’t care less about the name on the front. I am all for the jovial team celebrating when a guy makes a great play or scores but this in your face crap and the brawling that occurred the other night is out of control. These 18-23 year old young men should be learning some life lessons in addition to playing a sport in addition to obtaining a valuable degree. I’m afraid that the money aspect of big time college athletics has pushed things too far to get them back.

App_in_Maiden

Unread post by App_in_Maiden » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:21 am

Funny you say that about Alabama. Watching the game on Friday, I thought the same thing to myself. Their players make a big play and they just get up and go back to the huddle and I highly respect that. Maybe it was because I was taught to never disrespect your opponent by anything else except your performance on the field (or court), but I can’t stand the mouthing either.
“I don’t like talking to people I know, but strangers I have no problem with.” -Larry David

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:03 pm

I think that if we get our OC hire right, find a solid replacement for Zac, and can avoid the dreaded injury bug, that the team coming back next year has the potential to be the best ever assembled in Boone. 2021 is our year!

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:34 pm

Today's false machismo.... encouraging yourself and teammates is different than all the bragging for a tackle 25 yards down field

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:35 pm

How about rule changes or tweaks...any ideas?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appstate5

Unread post by appstate5 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:16 pm

Anyone have our Sept schedule next year? ECU, Miami, Marshall still intact?

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:33 pm

Sept 2- ECU (Bank of America Stadium)
Sept 11- @Miami
Sept 18- Elon
Sept 25- Marshall
Other SB Home Opponents: ULM/So Alabama/Coastal/Ga So
Other SB Road Games: Ga State/Troy/Ark St/ULL

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:06 pm

I have been thinking. The playoff system stinks, and it is not only ESPN that is the problem. This year proves that a G-5 has absolutely zero chance of being ranked in the top 4 teams. Zero. The main reason for this is who sits on the committee. I understand the members of that committee are: ADs from P-5 schools and P-5 conference chancellors/presidents/officers. So, IF the G-5 conferences remain in the NCAAs, then the system must improve itself. I suppose another option is for the G-5s to secede from the current regime, but I am not going there in this post.

The reason G-5s have no chance is due to the inherent bias and even conflicts of interest of those on the committee. That will never change, unless we change the committee.

I have an idea, that my son and I worked out over the holidays. It will solve the problem. (Really, I'm serious.)

Step 1: Randomly select a Wal-Mart somewhere in the U.S. of A. My preference this first time, is for that Wal-Mart to be out in the middle of Wyoming.
Step 2: Get the Sheriff in that Wal-Mart's county to take the Sheriff's van to that Wal-Mart and pick up 12 honest men (or women), and take them to the local courthouse.
Step 3: Have all the top 20 schools, as ranked in one of the predictor polls, like SP+, to send their AD or attorney, to that courthouse to argue that their team deserves to be in the playoffs. Each school gets a max. set time to argue their case; 15 minutes each sounds about right to me, but I could go longer (or shorter); if you give the 12 honest ones three hours to decide, then the whole thing could be decided in one 8 hour day.
Step 4: After hearing from all 20 schools, the 12 honest men/women decide which teams get to play in the playoffs. Their decision is final and not appealable.

The next year, another Wal-Mart is selected and it's location is not revealed until a couple days in advance. Any team caught trying to pad the Wal-Mart shoppers with its fans are instantly disqualified.

This will work to distill the current bias out of the system. In hindsight, can anyone really argue that Notre Dame was in the top 4 teams in the country and were better than Texas A&M or Oklahoma? Cinci should have had a shot too.

This will work regardless of the # of teams in the playoffs. 4, 8, 12, 16, etc. It does not matter.

One more suggestion for improvement. There needs to be more than 4 qualifiers. Let's move to 8 now.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:17 am

I know there is now a thread about this ---

What about the lack of enthusiam - generally speaking - with bowl games ---
And the OPT-OUTS?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:58 am

It's up the refs to end that behavior in the first quarter. If you see chippyness jump in between it and offer a warning. A short leash early in games goes a long way.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:09 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:17 am

And the OPT-OUTS?
It all has to do with matchups. Bowl tie ins suck at the moment. No disrespect intended to NT, but there is absolutely no reason that an 8-3 team should be matched up with a 4-5 team under any circumstance. Then of course we have to deal with P5/G5 bias and go entirely based on records where we would theoretically be matched up with an NC State or a Texas, which we'd be excited about but they'd hate it. I don't think the bowl enthusiasm will ever improve until we figure out a way to expand playoffs which in turn would help get rid of that bias by giving everyone a true chance.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:15 am

JMappfan5 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:33 pm
Sept 2- ECU (Bank of America Stadium)
Sept 11- @Miami
Sept 18- Elon
Sept 25- Marshall
Other SB Home Opponents: ULM/So Alabama/Coastal/Ga So
Other SB Road Games: Ga State/Troy/Ark St/ULL
I am going to go out on a limb and guess that GS will be a Thursday home game. Either ULL or Ark St. will be road mid week games.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:27 am

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:09 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:17 am

And the OPT-OUTS?
It all has to do with matchups. Bowl tie ins suck at the moment. No disrespect intended to NT, but there is absolutely no reason that an 8-3 team should be matched up with a 4-5 team under any circumstance. Then of course we have to deal with P5/G5 bias and go entirely based on records where we would theoretically be matched up with an NC State or a Texas, which we'd be excited about but they'd hate it. I don't think the bowl enthusiasm will ever improve until we figure out a way to expand playoffs which in turn would help get rid of that bias by giving everyone a true chance.
I think it is the "playoff" and the insatiable thirst of crowning a national champion that has killed the bowl system. The two cannot coexist and both thrive, no matter how the playoff is expanded. The "playoff" is not a true playoff and will always involve too much subjectivity. It is an invitational tournament that we have allowed to be the end all, be all to determining a "champion." In the golden days of the bowls they were more than just exhibition games and a bowl championship meant something. The growth and popularity of intercollegiate athletics has drastically increased the revenue, for better and/or worse, and that is now driving the "champioships." Playoff expansion would certainly help with the opt-outs but I wonder if corporations would spend big-bucks to sponsor "playoff" games. Maybe they would. One of the drawbacks of the FCS playoffs (which is also just an invitational tournament, but more representative) is the cost. I do think corporations might be more likely to sponsor FBS playoffs, therefore, generating revenue. Heck, it's worth a try. Regardless, there will still be inequity among the teams in FBS but I'm sure The Cabin could come up with a pretty good playoff format that would still honor the bowl tradition.
WE ARE YOSEF!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:55 am

Personally, I was very happy to see DeVonta Smith win the Heisman - well deserved and such an exciting player - very humble guy who has worked extremely hard -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”