Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

What's next for stadium projects?

canes_mj
School: Appalachian State

Re: What's next for stadium projects?

Unread post by canes_mj » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:55 am

What I hope eventually happens is they replace this upcoming patio area underneath the NEZ with additional boxes/club seats, or even field level boxes. We could even have similar to those bleachers, but make them a permanent structure. There's a huge gap in between the seats and the field level in the NEZ. More seating would both look nice and be good for generating revenue. I'm not an architect, so idk the logistics of this or if it's even possible. IMO the patio area is going to look bad, and if I remember correctly it wasn't planned in the original renderings but they had to make some adjustments

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:57 am

Build a da*n soccer field and outdoor track. Hell, most high schools have them.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:58 am

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:31 am
If we are talking KBS Stadium only, I hope we get better stadium lighting and better placement for TV cameras. Tough viewing a game when the camera is perched on top of Howards Knob..lol
I've mentioned this before here but the TV camera placement is something that needs to be addressed and wouldn't be an expensive fix. Understandably the camera placements were put in place without fully knowing how it would look on screen...now knowing how it looks I hope better vantages can be obtained.

The better we look on TV the better the CFB sees us.

FYI I can't wait to see the camera shots from the top of the NEZ.

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:59 am

Seems like ESPN had a camera on top of NEZ for a couple of games this past season.

GastonApp09

Unread post by GastonApp09 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:13 pm

I just can't wait to see what the finished inside product looks like in the NEZ facility. If you look at the facilities in the SB such as Ark State, Troy, UL...they are top notch! I really hope the details of the inside weren't overlooked or an afterthought. Even the little things like lighting make a huge difference in the overall looks of the place.
Body stuck in Gaston County...heart stuck in Boone! Go Apps!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:38 pm

ASU3432Mi wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:59 am
Seems like ESPN had a camera on top of NEZ for a couple of games this past season.
Yeah, that little camera platform on the top is there specifically for TV (and practices, I would assume).
Give 'em hell!

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:23 pm

ASU3432Mi wrote:
They did and it was cool however I don't think it was centered on the field due to construction.

It will be way better when KBS is filled and there are people on Miller Hill

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:27 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:23 pm
ASU3432Mi wrote:
They did and it was cool however I don't think it was centered on the field due to construction.

It will be way better when KBS is filled and there are people on Miller Hill
Also have seen a camera mounted on top of the Scoreboard in the South Endzone. Also believe we will mount play clock on the sides of the North End Zone.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:27 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:57 pm
canes_mj wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:21 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:04 am
I think the next football projects we’ll see are expanding the indoor facility andcosmetic touch ups like major power washing of the concrete. Before the East and west sides are connected the east side needs to be torn down and re-done. The only eye sore left at KBS.
Hey now!!! I LOVE my East side seats!

Likewise. I love the sightlines from the top of the East side and think the Concourse functions better. I'm sure we could cosmetically improve the "suites" on the top of East and could redo/dress up the ramps (possibly eliminating one of them with a connected concourse would help)

However, if we fill up the East Side for every game, there's no way it's an Eyesore. :shock:
These are exactly the reasons why I chose it...I'm row B in the upper level, and you still get that bird's eye view but are much closer to the field, feels more "on top" of the field. Same with the concourse...much less crowded, bathroom situation is much better. That sun is brutal during the 1st few games...but hey, 1st world problems lol. Could add some club/suite seating in between the upper and lower decks. People stand there throughout the game, I have no doubt people would pay for club there.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:03 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:29 am
🤣 for the concourse that connects the north end zone to the east stands I’m envisioning a split-level ramp. One side has a gentle grade that gets you from the NEZ concourse level to the existing east side concourse level, the other side has a slightly steeper grade that gets you up to the upper deck. That would bowl in the NE corner and create some interior and exterior wall space for player enshrinements, Block A logos, etc. it would make for an impressive and imposing sight as you come up stadium drive.
I don't know that my OCD could take it. Off Center and Cockeyed :lol:

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:25 am

mike87 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:03 am
I don't know that my OCD could take it. Off Center and Cockeyed :lol:
Our whole stadium is off center and cockeyed. East doesn’t match west. NEZ complex isn’t centered. Pillars and stands aren’t symmetrical. We have the mystery hill of football stadiums 🤣
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

IM4ASU

Unread post by IM4ASU » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:23 pm

Man it's a good thing you young guys weren't in school from 71 to 75 like I was. Conrad Stadium looked like a high school stadium with a track and a tiny brick press box. I'm very proud of what we have and no complaints from me at all. I never dreamed it would look as good as it does in my lifetime.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:38 pm

I get the sight lines and all that good stuff of the east side. Purely aesthetically the east side of the stadium is closer to a top notch high school stadium than a high level FBS stadium. The east side addition was done on a shoe string budget and looks like a piece meal project because of it. Maybe I’m biased growing up going to games at ECU, but it just has a much more professional feel than the east side of KBS does to me. Just my opinion.

One thing that is somewhat affordable is installing chair backs rather than bleacher say in between the 35/40’s on each side.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:40 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:38 pm
I get the sight lines and all that good stuff of the east side. Purely aesthetically the east side of the stadium is closer to a top notch high school stadium than a high level FBS stadium. The east side addition was done on a shoe string budget and looks like a piece meal project because of it. Maybe I’m biased growing up going to games at ECU, but it just has a much more professional feel than the east side of KBS does to me. Just my opinion.

One thing that is somewhat affordable is installing chair backs rather than bleacher say in between the 35/40’s on each side.
I’d urge you to do a google image search for Stanford’s football stadium. Yeah, it’s a bit more dressed up, but essentially exactly what we have on the east side.
Give 'em hell!

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:04 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:40 pm
Yosef10 wrote:

I’d urge you to do a google image search for Stanford’s football stadium. Yeah, it’s a bit more dressed up, but essentially exactly what we have on the east side.
I'm assuming you're just talking about all the aluminum? If so, I agree. You're also right about it being dressed up (but it is ballroom gown dressed up). And I'm proud as hell of where we are with KBS right now... but the Cardinal have a pretty freakin swas facility...

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:06 am

I get that some really don't like the aluminum on the East side, but I don't mind it. The shoe-string budget issue is a reality that we still have to deal with, and it isn't going away in the near future. Yes, I think concrete would look better, but I don't think it looks bad and it accomplishes what we needed. I would like to have the chair back as well, but that would reduce seating capacity even further so I don't see that happening until we have more extensive end zone seating.

One advantage of the aluminum is that it makes a ton of noise when fans are yelling and stomping during 3rd downs! Just saying.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:27 am

booneboy92 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:04 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:

I'm assuming you're just talking about all the aluminum? If so, I agree. You're also right about it being dressed up (but it is ballroom gown dressed up). And I'm proud as hell of where we are with KBS right now... but the Cardinal have a pretty freakin swas facility...
Yeah, their decks are aluminum just like ours-similar structural supports and everything. They have chair backs and nicer railings, but the bones are probably almost identical. Obviously theirs is larger. Either way, we have to understand that what we have is serving its purpose and when there are 30k in the stands, you don’t see the “bad parts” (which I personally don’t have an issue with).

But seriously, if I win the lotto, I have a plan to replace those ramps and dress up a few things (amongst other initiatives that I will find). I’ll be the T. Boone of Boone.
Give 'em hell!

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:59 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:

Haha i just looked it up and that’s 1000x better than what the east side looks like at KBS. I’m not calling KBS a dump over here, but i just have trouble believing anyone looks at the east side and says “yeah, that’s a high level facility right there”. I know guests of mine to games over the years certainly haven’t.

Blackshirt68

Unread post by Blackshirt68 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:15 am

Get rid of the aluminum bench seating.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:23 am

Have any of you been to the Swamp? FU’s stadium is an add on as we go stadium. So is LSU. Granted, these are flagship state schools with access to much more in funding. What we lack in aesthetics, we more than make up for in environment and setting.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”