Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Increased Signing Limits

John-N-Houston
School: Appalachian State

Increased Signing Limits

Unread post by John-N-Houston » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:12 pm

https://footballscoop.com/news/ncaa-rep ... ship-limit

With four schools moving from G5 conferences to a P5 conference, there are now 69 P5 schools. If football signing limits are increased from 25 to 32, that means that a potential 483 players that wanted to play in a P5 conference but we’re not signed and “settled” for a G5 school, may now have the opportunity to play for the school they wanted in the first place. In effect, combined with cherry picking four of the best G5 football programs, this greatly increases the separation between G5 and P5 football programs. Could this be another step in the path of P5 schools leaving the NCAA, forming their own governing body and leaving the G5 schools as just the latest version of Dll?

AppSt94

Re: Increased Signing Limits

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:38 pm

That’s not how I interpreted the rule. The limit is still 25. However, if you lose kids to the portal, you can replace them with HS kids with a limit of up to 7. It creates a sort of bird in the hand situation. I guess a school can tell a kid that we will take you, but we can’t fit you in until we have someone transfer. So let’s say we have a kid that we like. Carolina comes in and says that we will take you, but we can’t commit you until someone on the roster transfers. So does the kid choose to not sign with App and risk losing that spot and hope that Carolina back fills with him, or does he sign? It doesn’t change the roster limits of 85.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:19 pm

I think this potential rule is bad for all G5 teams. Instead of concentrating on fixing the transfer portal mess that they created, the NCAA is trying to put a bandaid on the bleeding wound. Fact is, the unfettered access to the transfer portal allows for rash decisions on the part of 18-22 year old kids that often result in no scholarship at all and lost opportunity for college degrees and all that comes with it. So now, the P5 get to grab more kids and if they don't work out the coaches can gently coax the kid into the portal and then they get to find a new replacement the next year. Probably leads to more G5 schools being like Texas State and just working the portal and no more high school recruiting for those schools. In the end, probably leads to less student athletes getting to graduate with a degree while on athletic scholarship. I wonder what has happened to our guys that have entered the portal and left App, how many have received scholarships elsewhere?

John-N-Houston

Unread post by John-N-Houston » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:33 pm

Thanks…
Very possible I took it incorrectly. I’m probably too ready for the Sabans of the football world to try to consolidate their power.

John-N-Houston

Unread post by John-N-Houston » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:36 pm

Thanks…
Very possible I took it incorrectly. When I read the part about the portal, I just took it as a rationalization. I’m probably too ready for the Sabans of the football world to try to consolidate their power.

John-N-Houston

Unread post by John-N-Houston » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:41 pm

John-N-Houston wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:33 pm
Thanks…

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:44 pm

We had four guys enter the portal last year. Only Marcus Williams Jr. was picked up.

We had 5 enter in 2020 and all landed somewhere else.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:41 pm

Isn't that partly why the money grab consolidation at the top to neuter the NCAA, and bludgeoning the rest of us second class football citizens at the same time?
BLACK SATURDAY

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:34 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:44 pm
We had four guys enter the portal last year. Only Marcus Williams Jr. was picked up.

So in the past 2 years 9 have entered and 6 have found a football home on scholarship. That makes 33% that lost out on the opportunity for a free college education regardless of if they ever played a down on the field. I wonder how that will sit with those kids in 10, 20, 30 years or more. The opportunity costs of a free college degree is significant and often life changing.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:50 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:34 pm
AppSt94 wrote:

So in the past 2 years 9 have entered and 6 have found a football home on scholarship. That makes 33% that lost out on the opportunity for a free college education regardless of if they ever played a down on the field. I wonder how that will sit with those kids in 10, 20, 30 years or more. The opportunity costs of a free college degree is significant and often life changing.
No doubt. But I have a friend who has a kid playing ball in college. He is on scholarship but really isn’t happy about the situation. He is considering entering the portal so that he can transfer to somewhere that he wants to be and be happier. That doesn’t guarantee that he can get another scholarship but it’s a balance really. Yes, you get your education paid for, but is it worth it if you are miserable?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:00 pm

If a guy is willing to transfer down , and stays healthy , his odds of playing time increase of course .But yes,get a degree , somewhere.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:03 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:50 pm
t4pizza wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

No doubt. But I have a friend who has a kid playing ball in college. He is on scholarship but really isn’t happy about the situation. He is considering entering the portal so that he can transfer to somewhere that he wants to be and be happier. That doesn’t guarantee that he can get another scholarship but it’s a balance really. Yes, you get your education paid for, but is it worth it if you are miserable?
I completely understand that, and perhaps your friend is in a position where his kid will still be able to attend college and graduate without a scholarship. For all the kids like that, it really isn't an issue. I am talking more about the kids that won't be able to finish college without the scholarship, those are the ones the NCAA should be concerned about protecting from rash decisions instead of now just making it easier for a coach to get rid of a "recruiting mistake" by allowing him to recoup that kids place with a new recruit.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:31 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:03 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:50 pm
t4pizza wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I completely understand that, and perhaps your friend is in a position where his kid will still be able to attend college and graduate without a scholarship. For all the kids like that, it really isn't an issue. I am talking more about the kids that won't be able to finish college without the scholarship, those are the ones the NCAA should be concerned about protecting from rash decisions instead of now just making it easier for a coach to get rid of a "recruiting mistake" by allowing him to recoup that kids place with a new recruit.
I’m not sure that the scenario that you are speaking of is quite the idea that the portal is about. Players are evaluated at the end of season and spring ball to allow for an honest talk about their future. Some guys just don’t cut it. It sounds harsh, but you can’t build a winning team without depth. You can’t build depth by carrying guys that can’t contribute and you have to have guys that want to be there. It’s tricky. I’m not sticking my head in the sand and saying that coaches may not take advantage of the rule and encourage guys to go, but we can’t assume that this rule is all bad. It gives a chance to young guys that want the chance. And this is somewhat important. The player that is leaving initiates the entrance to the portal. So they can stay and take a spot or leave.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”