Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Notre Dame Transfer Jahmir Smith

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Notre Dame Transfer Jahmir Smith

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:33 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:24 am
So is Smith good? Did he do anything at ND? Nobody really knows how he will pan out. It’s great that our program is really at a P5 level as far as talent goes. I firmly believe that if you took the top 60 or so FBS programs and redid, say 6 conferences of 10 teams each App makes the cut while many existing P5’s drop out. That being said it’s also nice that the knowledgeable fans don’t go Gaga over a kid transferring in from an elite P5 and just pencil him in as a starter.

I really am starting to hate the portal as it seems like a dark hole for many kids. I wonder how many kids who transfer end up really impacting the team they end up with? I support allowing kids to immediately transfer in cases where the head coach bails on his contract but when a player wants to leave because he isn’t getting enough PT that’s a tough one. Overall though I fall back on an expression my wife uses- “go be you boo”.
It’s hard to gauge his future performance versus his past play. However, even though he sat out last year for mental health reasons, he saw the field in 10 games in 2019. Averaged a little over 4 yds a carry and had two TD’s. Being that he saw that much action, tells me that he is talented enough to make it on the field. To get reps in a game at RB means that he also got some practice reps which are pretty valuable. Bottom line is that he can play. Whether he exhibits the attributes that got him on the field remains to be seen. Based on comments made by Brian Kelly, I’m not too concerned.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:00 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
So is Smith good? Did he do anything at ND? Nobody really knows how he will pan out. It’s great that our program is really at a P5 level as far as talent goes. I firmly believe that if you took the top 60 or so FBS programs and redid, say 6 conferences of 10 teams each App makes the cut while many existing P5’s drop out. That being said it’s also nice that the knowledgeable fans don’t go Gaga over a kid transferring in from an elite P5 and just pencil him in as a starter.
I think these are fair points. I don't want to be a wet blanket, but it's not some sort of milestone that we're getting transfers from big-name schools. Lots of G5s are in the same position now, especially this year. And for the most part, guys transferring from P5 to G5 are doing so because they weren't playing as much (or as well) as they'd like at their previous school.

As for Smith, he was a solid, not great, player in reserve during the one season he played significantly at ND. I think it's best to look at him as someone who can contribute right away at App, and maybe start eventually, but I think it's pretty clear Peoples is our #1 guy and Noel is certainly going to get his carries too.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:21 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
I wonder how many kids who transfer end up really impacting the team they end up with?
Sutton and Heath did wonders for us their first year on the field.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:31 am

NO.2 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:21 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
I wonder how many kids who transfer end up really impacting the team they end up with?
I would say Heath was a good role player who could start but he was not an elite player. I was very glad to have him. Sutton is a rare case that we will not see happen often. He should have come here to begin with. Keep in mind that he was playing as a freshman. He mainly left because he was unhappy and there were no major issues with him.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:37 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:31 am
NO.2 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
I would say Heath was a good role player who could start but he was not an elite player. I was very glad to have him. Sutton is a rare case that we will not see happen often. He should have come here to begin with. Keep in mind that he was playing as a freshman. He only left because he was unhappy and there were no issues with him.

That's not entirely true. There were issue between Sutton and the KSU program. Bill Synder had his issues with Sutton supposedly regarding Marijuana(which he got into Drinks dog house because of). It definitely seemed that KSU was going overboard with their treatment of him.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:38 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:00 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
I think these are fair points. I don't want to be a wet blanket, but it's not some sort of milestone that we're getting transfers from big-name schools. Lots of G5s are in the same position now, especially this year. And for the most part, guys transferring from P5 to G5 are doing so because they weren't playing as much (or as well) as they'd like at their previous school.

As for Smith, he was a solid, not great, player in reserve during the one season he played significantly at ND. I think it's best to look at him as someone who can contribute right away at App, and maybe start eventually, but I think it's pretty clear Peoples is our #1 guy and Noel is certainly going to get his carries too.
He played in 10 games in his only full season. Not sure if that first season counted or not, It is my understanding that he left to be closer to home and not necessarily due to lack of playing time. He had some issues last year and he chose not to play in order to straighten them out.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:54 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:38 am
EastHallApp wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

He played in 10 games in his only full season. Not sure if that first season counted or not, It is my understanding that he left to be closer to home and not necessarily due to lack of playing time. He had some issues last year and he chose not to play in order to straighten them out.
Yes, I'm familiar with that. Whatever the primary cause for his decision to transfer, he was a backup, and he was probably always going to be a backup there. If he'd been a 1,000 yard rusher and decided to transfer for other reasons, he very likely would have landed at a P5.

That said, I'm sure we all hope the change of scenery is beneficial for his mental health. His well being is most important. And if he is in a better place mentally, I expect that will help him be a better football player as well.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:24 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:54 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:38 am
EastHallApp wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

Yes, I'm familiar with that. Whatever the primary cause for his decision to transfer, he was a backup, and he was probably always going to be a backup there. If he'd been a 1,000 yard rusher and decided to transfer for other reasons, he very likely would have landed at a P5.

That said, I'm sure we all hope the change of scenery is beneficial for his mental health. His well being is most important. And if he is in a better place mentally, I expect that will help him be a better football player as well.
I get what you are saying and there is no way to know if he was only going to be a backup. Way too early to tell. He played in 10 games and saw reps behind Tony Jones Jr., in his R/S Freshman year. Again, I agree with you in let’s see what he does here. But he has the size and the talent to see the field at Norte Dame as a Freshman. I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I’m not saying that he can come in and take the starting job from anyone, just because he played at Norte Dame. I’m saying that if he did, it wouldn’t be a bad thing.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:31 am

NavyApp wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:37 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:31 am
NO.2 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
I would say Heath was a good role player who could start but he was not an elite player. I was very glad to have him. Sutton is a rare case that we will not see happen often. He should have come here to begin with. Keep in mind that he was playing as a freshman. He mainly left because he was unhappy and there were no major issues with him.

That's not entirely true. There were issue between Sutton and the KSU program. Bill Synder had his issues with Sutton supposedly regarding Marijuana(which he got into Drinks dog house because of). It definitely seemed that KSU was going overboard with their treatment of him.
I do remember he liked to smoke but I know he was not happy there as well. I am sure he would have left either way.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:38 am

Is anyone surprised that Bill Synder had an issue with weed? I'm sure Satt, Eli and Clark have rules about smoking but something tells me they aren't handling it the same way that Bill Sndyer did.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:35 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:38 am
Is anyone surprised that Bill Synder had an issue with weed? I'm sure Satt, Eli and Clark have rules about smoking but something tells me they aren't handling it the same way that Bill Sndyer did.
Bill Snyder probably has issues with women wearing pants.
Give 'em hell!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:52 pm

Based on APP being a top 30ish program and ND being a top 5ish program, I'd say if Smith had the ability to make the field at ND, he'll certainly make the field at least in a rotational role just like we used this past season, provided he comes in and works as expected. He competed against better overall talent on his roster and opponents. The coaches brought him in to contribute, not hold a helmet on the sidelines or be a practice dummy.
BLACK SATURDAY

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”