Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2021 Expectations...

Gonzo
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2021 Expectations...

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:35 am

mike87 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:45 am
My experience is that 20 somethings aren't philanthropic. They want security and value for their $. Yosef doesn't provide either. For the $50 donation Yosef should give a $60 retail value gift, and do it every year. Don't expect an immediate return from those low level donors. Once they are in and invested in the program the desire for higher ranking and being a part of the success will bring a higher yearly pledge, season tickets and other spending. But you have to grab them first and Yosef does a poor job of that. Like Gonzo said, the old boys club doesn't get it, and that's not a gender specific statement.
The folks who were students during the FCS championship/Michigan era are in our 30's now. Yosef club is like having kids: you're never going to be able to sit down and conclude that you can afford it. Just do it.

PhillyApp

Unread post by PhillyApp » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:40 am

NO.2 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:33 am
PhillyApp wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:54 am
I would also argue that it’s not intuitive from the website on how to join the Yosefs Club. From an outsider view, the website is trash. Not a single button says “Join Yosefs Club Now” in any way.

I know this just hits on the nature of our “good boys club,” as it feels you have to know someone high up to join, but it’s a glaring issue that could be fixed relatively easily.
It's just The Yosef Club. This ain't Chili's or Applebee's.
I appreciate the correction. Glad we got a spellcheck person on staff for the site!
Clark for Prez 2024 💪🏼

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:40 am

PhillyApp wrote:
I would also argue that it’s not intuitive from the website on how to join the Yosefs Club. From an outsider view, the website is trash. Not a single button says “Join Yosefs Club Now” in any way.

I know this just hits on the nature of our “good boys club,” as it feels you have to know someone high up to join, but it’s a glaring issue that could be fixed relatively easily.
PREACH

We rolled our 2020 ticket payments to 2021 this year, so I decided to donate $100 for every football win. This is was my first non-yearly/football adjacent donation. I consider myself to be pretty proficient at navigating websites and stuff and I couldn't believe how confusing it was to give Yosef my money. If you use goggle you'll get links to random still-live pages from 2014 etc. If you use the website it's even more horrific.

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:30 am

Gonzo wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:40 am
PhillyApp wrote:

PREACH

We rolled our 2020 ticket payments to 2021 this year, so I decided to donate $100 for every football win. This is was my first non-yearly/football adjacent donation. I consider myself to be pretty proficient at navigating websites and stuff and I couldn't believe how confusing it was to give Yosef my money. If you use goggle you'll get links to random still-live pages from 2014 etc. If you use the website it's even more horrific.
Agreed. There should be a Join Yosef Club now button/icon on about every page; and it should be an easy process to pay online.
Reminder emails and/or texts should go out for those who have not renewed.

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:05 pm

Tatedc wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:31 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:08 pm
Tatedc wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:30 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:37 pm
“Casual fans”, sure that’s an easy one. “Engaged fans” .I wish but no. Not close. Participation in this forum costs nothing. I don’t see 60,000 users .A couple of thousand I suppose. Nowhere close to 60k. YOSEF Club members , what three thousand ? Four or five thousand? Doubt it.
No. Casual fans are people who don't really keep up with the team. Message boards are no quality indicator of fan base size. Of my closest 20 App friends only 2 of us are on the cabin. You can't average 25k in football without 60k to 200k fans. Its not possible. You have at least 60k different people who attend App games....probably much more we you consider road games.

Now we don't have millions of fans like Alabama, UNC or Notre Dame. But we do have a good bit.

Now I will 100% conced the weakness of Yosef Club membership. But I believe that is for an entirely different reason than fans being engaged. Id be glad to share my 2 cents with anyone (based on my experience as a graduate within the last 10 years) but I don't believe the answer will be recepted well...
If we don’t talk about it how can we improve it?

Would love to hear what you and others believe is the issue with low Yosef Club membership and solutions to help.

Well part of the problem is with the younger (my generation) people....the work ethic is weak...very few of my App grad friends (in our early 30s) have any money. So yosef club is out of the question. I would assume, due to when App State really began to grow, that most App fans are 40 and younger...so this is one issue.

The 2nd 'problem' being the types of degrees App specializes in. We are a teachers school....teachers don't make money. Not knocking it, but its a reality. Our fan base doesn't have the money that some other schools do. Now we could still do better...but in my opinion money is the problem with the fan base.
I'd say the "well, they got 'x' in student loans, I don't really want to give them any more" mentality plays a bigger role than work ethic. Most of the app grads (late-20s crowd) I know are in decent paying jobs (lawyer, industrial design, various banking jobs, military), but things like rising cost of living, student loan debt, and general life take precedence over Yosef Club. Most aren't aware or don't care enough about athletics to donate, if they do.

That leads to the second issue is there is close to no marketing for Yosef Club. Unless I'm missing something living on the other side of the country (I've already had coffee with a general fund rep for App in Southern Cali, so maybe not?), I just don't see them pushing for at least the small donations ($1-$5). If politicians can do it successfully, I don't see how Yosef Club can't.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:43 am

"...... don't care enough about athletics to donate...." Bottom line.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:00 am

I expect better quarterback play and a better passing game. I expect better play calling. I expect to win more games.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:18 am

When a podcast-led initiative is the most outreach the Yosef Club does to get small-scale regular donations, that's a problem.

I've hammered the "getting value back" argument for Yosef Club for years, but the biggest response I get back is "it's not about getting anything back, it's about providing opportunities for student-athletes to get an education" or some philanthropic argument like that.

While that's great and rallies the base you already have, I feel like that's a burying-your-head-in-the-sand argument and in the end, donors want a ROI, no matter how small or big. Especially when you're trying to reach new donors.

The current restruturing of Yosef Club/Mountaineer Athletic Fund to me, seems like a concentrated effort to get more donations with commas in the amount and corporate donors. The smaller donors need to be treated with care as well, because they fill up the stadium and make it look good on TV. No one ever watched a college football game and commented on how the suites and private seating looks full.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:46 am

T-Dog wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:18 am
When a podcast-led initiative is the most outreach the Yosef Club does to get small-scale regular donations, that's a problem.

I've hammered the "getting value back" argument for Yosef Club for years, but the biggest response I get back is "it's not about getting anything back, it's about providing opportunities for student-athletes to get an education" or some philanthropic argument like that.

While that's great and rallies the base you already have, I feel like that's a burying-your-head-in-the-sand argument and in the end, donors want a ROI, no matter how small or big. Especially when you're trying to reach new donors.

The current restruturing of Yosef Club/Mountaineer Athletic Fund to me, seems like a concentrated effort to get more donations with commas in the amount and corporate donors. The smaller donors need to be treated with care as well, because they fill up the stadium and make it look good on TV. No one ever watched a college football game and commented on how the suites and private seating looks full.
And there is the crux of the issue. Why do we need tangible incentives, perks, or prizes to donate in what you believe in? Donations are made to provide opportunities to those that may not get those opportunities otherwise.

And yes, I see where the most recent structure seems geared to bigger donors, but that’s because the masses of smaller donors aren’t responding.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:57 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:46 am
T-Dog wrote:

And there is the crux of the issue. Why do we need tangible incentives, perks, or prizes to donate in what you believe in? Donations are made to provide opportunities to those that may not get those opportunities otherwise.

And yes, I see where the most recent structure seems geared to bigger donors, but that’s because the masses of smaller donors aren’t responding.
But again, I think you're asking the wrong question. Do you want to shame people who don't join, or do you want to actually grow membership? Because just telling people they SHOULD care as much as you do isn't going to be an effective means to drive growth.

If someone's goal is simply to give money to a good cause, there are countless worthy organizations to give to.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:59 am

T-Dog wrote:

Just so I'm clear, who gave you those responses - people actually responsible for Yosef Club growth and fundraising?

If so, that's painfully naive.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:23 pm

I would get a personal call from Gerald Adams every year reminding me to give. Perhaps someone with the same drive and motivation Mr Yosef had, to work the phones would help.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:24 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:57 am
AppSt94 wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

But again, I think you're asking the wrong question. Do you want to shame people who don't join, or do you want to actually grow membership? Because just telling people they SHOULD care as much as you do isn't going to be an effective means to drive growth.

If someone's goal is simply to give money to a good cause, there are countless worthy organizations to give to.
It’s not about shaming anyone and the same question applies to myself, as it should Mark Ricks or Tommy Sofeild. What is your reason for giving? To get a gift of thanks? Your name on a building, or is it to make App athletics rise to levels through providing resources and opportunities to our student athletes? Big donors are great. They help a program a lot. Unfortunately, there are some big donors, and I am not insinuating that we have any, but it wouldn’t surprise me if we did, that feel that their donation gives them skin in the game. Have you seen the ESPN documentary on Les Miles going to Kansas? The first episode shows the AD calling big boosters basically getting the all clear to get rid of the current head coach. And then Les has to call the same group of folks to stroke their egos and make them feel important. Like the original post intimated, this doesn’t sit well with me, but I understand that it is part of the game. On the other side, I have to look at the communications and the gifts that I get for my small donation and I have to wonder how it all affects the bottom line. I spread my donation out monthly, and every month, I get another tax document. Seems a bit excessive. My church doesn’t send me one every week. I get one at the end of the year.

Maybe I am in the minority, but my ROI for my investment is validated by producing a high number of alumni that might not have gotten the chance without the help.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:43 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:24 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:57 am
AppSt94 wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

It’s not about shaming anyone and the same question applies to myself, as it should Mark Ricks or Tommy Sofeild. What is your reason for giving? To get a gift of thanks? Your name on a building, or is it to make App athletics rise to levels through providing resources and opportunities to our student athletes? Big donors are great. They help a program a lot. Unfortunately, there are some big donors, and I am not insinuating that we have any, but it wouldn’t surprise me if we did, that feel that their donation gives them skin in the game. Have you seen the ESPN documentary on Les Miles going to Kansas? The first episode shows the AD calling big boosters basically getting the all clear to get rid of the current head coach. And then Les has to call the same group of folks to stroke their egos and make them feel important. Like the original post intimated, this doesn’t sit well with me, but I understand that it is part of the game. On the other side, I have to look at the communications and the gifts that I get for my small donation and I have to wonder how it all affects the bottom line. I spread my donation out monthly, and every month, I get another tax document. Seems a bit excessive. My church doesn’t send me one every week. I get one at the end of the year.

Maybe I am in the minority, but my ROI for my investment is validated by producing a high number of alumni that might not have gotten the chance without the help.
Well, entitled rich donors are another issue. I agree it's a problem at some bigger schools. Frankly I don't think we have a ton of those. Or maybe we do, but their donations are just on a smaller scale.

I'm talking more about the rank-and-file donors and would-be donors. It's great for people to give simply out of philanthropy. As an athletics booster club, though, you simply have to cast a wider net than that.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:04 pm

Neer86 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:30 pm
QB is the most important thing. If we can get a good one going, and protect him with an oline that will have to be next man up, it could be a special season.

Good news, we have a new OC, and hopefully he can design an offense that will get the ball out of the QB's hands quickly, taking pressure off his protection. We have enough weapons around him to get it done.

Does anyone know how Miami is supposed to be next year? That would be a very tough win either way.

One good thing for '22. As noted above, we've got very good recruiting classes on campus, and this year should add another one. Giving these guys a year to get college strong and learn the game will make them more ready to step in next year. Hopefully, we get some big leads in a lot of games (unlike last year) and get these guys some game time to learn.

We need our coaching staff to take a step as well. If they do, our continued growth in the national spotlight will lead to even better recruiting. The quality of our transfers this year shows our growth here.
Miami has a lot of players coming back for 2021. They lost some key players, but they have several P5 grad transfers coming to town. They will still be good.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:17 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:35 am
mike87 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:45 am
My experience is that 20 somethings aren't philanthropic. They want security and value for their $. Yosef doesn't provide either. For the $50 donation Yosef should give a $60 retail value gift, and do it every year. Don't expect an immediate return from those low level donors. Once they are in and invested in the program the desire for higher ranking and being a part of the success will bring a higher yearly pledge, season tickets and other spending. But you have to grab them first and Yosef does a poor job of that. Like Gonzo said, the old boys club doesn't get it, and that's not a gender specific statement.
The folks who were students during the FCS championship/Michigan era are in our 30's now. Yosef club is like having kids: you're never going to be able to sit down and conclude that you can afford it. Just do it.
Don't discount the instant gratification on the having kids decision. Most of us wouldn't be here without it. :lol:

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:31 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:59 am
T-Dog wrote:

Just so I'm clear, who gave you those responses - people actually responsible for Yosef Club growth and fundraising?

If so, that's painfully naive.
For the most part, people who are not Yosef Club employees, but some of the more visible YC bell-ringers. Which upon reflection is something I should have distinguished.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:31 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:24 pm
Unfortunately, there are some big donors, and I am not insinuating that we have any, but it wouldn’t surprise me if we did, that feel that their donation gives them skin in the game.
Oh, we definitely have those. I know this is a football thread, but having those is what led to the fall of our basketball program. Pushed Fancher out to get Buzz back.. then made the push for Capel over Matt because he was a UNC guy.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:13 pm

https://appstatesports.com/news/2021/2/ ... -name.aspx

Nice breakdown of the Mountaineer Athletic Fund. Glad to see some details of how Paciolan is going to update things including accepting credit cards for donations and having a website that's not stuck in the 20th century.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:28 am

The growth in YOSEF personnel has far outpaced return.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”