Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Herd game update - Thursday

ClickClackApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Herd game update - Thursday

Unread post by ClickClackApp » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:20 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:15 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:33 am
Being the pretty girl at the ball is tougher than you think.
And I get that for conference games. But let's not kid ourselves about our station.This game is not going to draw monster TV numbers. App State vs. Marshall is a big deal for fans of the two schools. It's a very good regional G5 matchup. But it is not that big a deal for many other people. If it were, it wouldn't have to move to Thursday to get on TV.

This game will probably get stuck on the U when some ACC game moves to Thursday, and most fans will watch that or the NFL or baseball or Netflix while maybe 250K tune in for us.

That's the mountaineer spirit! Hi Hi Yikas, amirite?

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:20 pm

ClickClackApp wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:12 pm
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:04 pm
I became a Yosef club member and season ticket holder to go to the games. This is getting ridiculous. They are never going grow the fan base if this continues.

Playing on National TV doesn't grow the fan base? Man, some of you are acting rather spoiled.
LOL thats a good one. Just wondering where you live? A lot of people live far enough away that getting up to the mountain and back does not make it feasible for a weekday night game. I would love to go up there and bring my family but can't because I'll have to work. If that sounds spoiled - oh well

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:22 pm

ClickClackApp wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:20 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:15 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:33 am
Being the pretty girl at the ball is tougher than you think.
And I get that for conference games. But let's not kid ourselves about our station.This game is not going to draw monster TV numbers. App State vs. Marshall is a big deal for fans of the two schools. It's a very good regional G5 matchup. But it is not that big a deal for many other people. If it were, it wouldn't have to move to Thursday to get on TV.

This game will probably get stuck on the U when some ACC game moves to Thursday, and most fans will watch that or the NFL or baseball or Netflix while maybe 250K tune in for us.

That's the mountaineer spirit! Hi Hi Yikas, amirite?
Where's the lie?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:34 pm

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
I became a Yosef club member and season ticket holder to go to the games. This is getting ridiculous. They are never going grow the fan base if this continues.
I get it. But the TV contracts and our brand factor into this. I’m sure that the AD, school, and town would rather have this game on Saturday. That isn’t in question. The issue is that we are a victim of our own success and the spoils of that success is being a target in the crosshairs of the mothership when choosing games to air.

I would be interested to know if this type of schedule actually affects season ticket sales.

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:47 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:34 pm
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
I get it. But the TV contracts and our brand factor into this. I’m sure that the AD, school, and town would rather have this game on Saturday. That isn’t in question. The issue is that we are a victim of our own success and the spoils of that success is being a target in the crosshairs of the mothership when choosing games to air.
Totally respect that answer. When I talk about growing the fanbase I can talk from personal experience. I'm not alumni nor originally from NC. Was a PSU fan till 2011 (I think we all know what happened) I came up to a game on a Saturday a couple of years ago and fell in love with Boone. Love the campus - Love the tailgates - You need people to come up here to experience the culture especially with not just football but all the University aspects as it is becoming more "national"

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:07 pm

All I can say is thank goodness I live close enough to the stadium to leave work a few minutes early and head up. Just makes for a sleepy Friday and a nonexistent tailgate. I absolutely hate it for everyone else who isn't so fortunate and I hate it for the local businesses who don't make any money on Thursday night games as opposed to the rush of fans on a Saturday tailgate. If it ends up on ESPN or ESPN2 I'd be moderately ok with the move. If it ends up on ESPNU, bad move.

yosef95

Unread post by yosef95 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:25 pm

Crusty. My kids are old enough for a game & I booked hotel for the Marshall weekend game. Have never been to a Thurs game there. I know it wont be the same Sat atmoshphere, but do they get decent amount of fans/students for those?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:27 pm

Guys, this isn't a new development. When the initial schedule was released, the move of this game was already in progress. Only reason it wasn't announced with the initial schedule is because it hadn't been a 100% done deal -- just 99%.

The athletic department has known about this happening for quite a while and have planned for it. That said, I get it sucks for fans not being able to make it up the mountain for week night games.

Maybe a silver lining -- most jobs have the ability to work from home now. So come up Wednesday night, work from where ever you are staying Thursday during the day, head home after the game, or use your phone's hot spot and work from the Parkway on Friday!
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:28 pm

yosef95 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:25 pm
Crusty. My kids are old enough for a game & I booked hotel for the Marshall weekend game. Have never been to a Thurs game there. I know it wont be the same Sat atmoshphere, but do they get decent amount of fans/students for those?
Students will be out in full force. Most of the die hard, non-student fans that make the noise in a packed house will be there too.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:30 pm

Guys when we only win seven games a year we won’t have to worry about this, be careful what you wish for.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:37 pm

yosef95 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:25 pm
Assuming that we are beyond attendance restrictions:

1. The students will turn out in force.
2. I would expect 15K to 17K in overall attendance. Marshall tends to travel well and they will still bring fans.

However, what most on this site are upset with is: This game on a Saturday in September would have most likely been a sellout. Marshall has the potential to bring 3K to 4K to Boone (especially on a Fall Saturday) and this game probably would have been the choice over Elon for any App Fan that was making a choice of one game in September.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:55 pm

Going from 27,000 in the stands to 17,000 ? Quite possibly , and that is a tangible loss of dollars and fan disenchantment. Will the ESPN $$$ make up the difference? In any event , I will be there , God willing , but many aren't as fortunate . I don't like it .

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:03 pm

Are we hitting the NASCAR conundrum? In the late 90's and early 00's, NASCAR had an opportunity to grow the brand and started making decisions to enter new geographies and to chase the casual sports fan. These changes adversely affected many in their loyal Southeastern traditional fan base. It worked in the short term, but the long term effect sees the sport in decline, tracks removing seats and some of the "new" geographies being abandoned.

September and October Saturdays are special. In my mind, nothing beats a Saturday tailgate on the mountain followed by an afternoon game in a packed Kidd Brewer Stadium. This year, we get to play at BOA (I've never been a fan of playing a college game in an NFL stadium), plus have a Thursday home game against Marshall and a Wednesday home game against Coastal (Both of these games would have been BIG Saturday Crowds)

Our Saturday Home Games in September are Elon on Sept. 18th and ULM on October 30 (almost November). An FCS game and an almost FCS game.

After a year with minimal fans, 2021 is the first season for many to experience the "new" Rock. To see the new configuration, to see the new turf for the first time, etc.

Looking back to 2007 (after opening at Michigan),
HOME September 8--Lenoir-Rhyne 28,802
HOME September 15--Northern Arizona 27,104
HOME--October 6--Gardner-Webb 27,428
HOME-October 20--Georgia Southern (Black Saturday) 28,202

We are hosting much better opponents, but we are getting half the quality Home Saturdays as a fanbase.

The National exposure is great. Our Brand is recognized. We have a top G5 program. But, is the scheduling a detriment?

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:10 pm

Good grief ... this will make two home games I won't be able to attend. 3 if you include the game in Charlotte. Don't mind 1 home weekday game, but 2 is killer.

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:10 pm

One way to stop the weeknight games: start losing. No thanks!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:50 pm

How much exposure have we really gained by playing these weekday games since moving up? Clearly not enough to raise our season ticket numbers or Yosef Club donations too significantly. I'd venture to say merchandise sales aren't even that must higher. I'm tired of hearing the exposure crap. Not many people outside of those at bars, or fans of App State and Marshall will be watching a game likely aired on ESPN 2 at best on a Thursday. Those that do watch will have to see a bunch of empty seats, which is not appealing.

Call it what it is, and that's a money grab. Nothing wrong with it, because the school needs the money, but let's not pretend like this will bring unreal amounts of exposure.

I don't mind the ECU game as much because that's before we'd have to compete with the NFL for air time, and day games in Charlotte early September can be brutal. Also, a Thursday before Labor Day weekend in a city with a large fan and alumni base, will definitely allow many more to attend.
Last edited by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 on Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Mountaineers89

Unread post by Mountaineers89 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:50 pm

I was going to buy season tickets this year, but now I will miss 2 of the 6 games since they are on a weeknight. I will probably just go to the Miami game now instead.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:10 pm

I just received the email for BOA tickets. $93 each for lower sideline or $63 each for lower corners

asumba95

Unread post by asumba95 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:21 pm

this blows!!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:57 pm

The alternative to having our games shifted to weeknights for television is sucking so badly that the networks don’t want us on screen. Pick your poison. We’re either good and have to deal with this once or twice a year, or we stink and all you complainers get to go have your Saturday in the mountains.

Suck it up.
Give 'em hell!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”