Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Spring Practice

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Spring Practice

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:39 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:20 am
Ok i get all the above but where would we have been if Brice hadn't transferred? Im glad he's here dont get me wrong but the fact that he is here to me suggests neither Shuler nor Tabscott were ready and that is what concerned me.
Brice wasn’t the only option to transfer in. We were talking to multiple guys. We were going to get someone in with some veteran leadership. As stated above. It is imperative that you have someone that’s been around the block a few times in that room to guide the young guys. The leadership is so much more important for off field situations than on field. It helps the young guys navigate off-field work. It sets an example of how to carry yourself and prepare for the grind of being a D1 athlete. Kids need a different voice besides Coach. I for one can’t think of a better role model than Brice. Here is a guy than can relate to them what it is like to be a star in high school and come into a situation that he had to sit behind a guy who was an even bigger star, all the while preparing for the times where he got his shot and helped the team. Bottom line is, that this isn’t
a point of concern. This will benefit the young guys in the long run.

As a side note, who says that either Shuler or Tabscott weren’t ready? They have talent but they haven’t done it at the college level. Either way, we weren’t going to go with just those three,(Goodman) to start this season.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:05 am

Didnt say either were not ready...it just looked that way to me.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:06 am

First question- if Brice does win the job doesn’t he really have 2 seasons remaining if he chooses to play? Second question- are we ever going to trust our highly (somewhat at least) paid and experienced coaching staff to actually evaluate and play the best available QB on the roster? I’m sure old threads regarding QB gripes could be dug up. Third question- as pointed out above this is only Spring practice so isn’t it a just a bit premature to get all worked up over who should be the QB? I’m just ecstatic to even see that Spring practice is going on. When I read the notes from the first day and saw the names mentioned I got pumped up.

If our staff absolutely whiffs on the QB, plays a guy who stinks and we lose games because of this I will be beyond shocked and dismayed. For the life of me I can’t recall the last game we lost due solely to QB play.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:19 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Ok i get all the above but where would we have been if Brice hadn't transferred? Im glad he's here dont get me wrong but the fact that he is here to me suggests neither Shuler nor Tabscott were ready and that is what concerned me.
I mean, sure, the odds are that they WON'T be ready on day 1 as a true/redshirt freshman. Most guys aren't. Doesn't mean they won't be good eventually, or that one of them won't be an exception and be great right away.

Question is, do you want to put all your eggs in that basket? Do you want only two scholarship QBs on the roster, let alone both of them freshmen? The coaches had to make a roster decision in December/January, before Tabscott even set foot on campus. How would they have any idea how ready he is or will be?

Bringing in a transfer was an obvious, no-brainer decision. It doesn't mean the guys we have can't be good. It just means we didn't have enough options due to attrition and missing on some earlier recruits, and we needed to add a veteran to the room.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:22 am

Also, people need to get used to the idea that bringing in transfers is a normal part of how you build a roster now. It's not an outlier or a sign of a crisis. We brought in transfers at RB and safety too; doesn't mean we think Cam Peoples or Kaiden Smith can't play.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:23 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:06 am
First question- if Brice does win the job doesn’t he really have 2 seasons remaining if he chooses to play? Second question- are we ever going to trust our highly (somewhat at least) paid and experienced coaching staff to actually evaluate and play the best available QB on the roster? I’m sure old threads regarding QB gripes could be dug up. Third question- as pointed out above this is only Spring practice so isn’t it a just a bit premature to get all worked up over who should be the QB? I’m just ecstatic to even see that Spring practice is going on. When I read the notes from the first day and saw the names mentioned I got pumped up.

If our staff absolutely whiffs on the QB, plays a guy who stinks and we lose games because of this I will be beyond shocked and dismayed. For the life of me I can’t recall the last game we lost due solely to QB play.
Answers to your questions: 1) he does have two years if he chooses to use them both. 2) according to the comments on this board, and not just this thread, doubtful. 3) Appsolutley.

As to the last comment. All commentary on the the guys in camp vying for the gig have been positive to this point.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:24 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:22 am
Also, people need to get used to the idea that bringing in transfers is a normal part of how you build a roster now. It's not an outlier or a sign of a crisis. We brought in transfers at RB and safety too; doesn't mean we think Cam Peoples or Kaiden Smith can't play.
Excellent points! I bow to your acumen.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:36 am

Rekdiver wrote:
There was a potential need and we filled it. I just can’t see the reason for concern here.
Give 'em hell!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:27 am

The transfer portal is a way of college athletics. I like how we are active in the portal if we believe has opportunity to be a better team. I believe it shows our progression as a program as players from P5 schools see us as a destination from Va. Tech, ND, Clemson /Dook, Stanford etc. Taking a transfer is always a risk in terms of culture, actual ability to compete, etc. They may be great or may be a bust. I hope our coaching staff is always active in portal if we have needs. Personally, we needed an experienced QB given young QB room. Does not mean others "not ready".. Maybe transfer is "more ready". Like RB addition, with transfer out and Harrington health status unclear, this, on paper, looks like winner... Life is a competition... If current players do not want to compete and do not like transfers coming in... maybe App. St. is not for them. Who knows..In coach Clark I trust..
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:35 am

Very true that too many transfers can cause a cultural issue. Our culture and tradition has afforded us the opportunity to have a good amount of kids looking to transfer, to reach out. It is an easier when we have a prior relationship with a kid through previous recruiting. In the cases where we do not, tires are kicked and all stones are turned. We got some valuable feedback from coaches on Brice before pulling the trigger. And for those that showed concern about his performance as, “the guy”, at Duke; those questions were asked and the responses as to the results were satisfactory to the coaches.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:47 am

Incoming players from any level can turn out to be busts or poor cultural fits. The reason we had a need at QB in the first place is that multiple players we signed out of HS flamed out for both on-field and off-field reasons.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:01 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:06 am

Not disagreeing with anything in this post, but the last time we lost a game solely do to QB play was CCU 2020.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:56 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
I don't think I've seen anywhere that Tabscott and Shuler aren't getting a shot, especially in Spring Practice reports. I would bet that even with Brice coming in the job is up for grabs. Most of us are simply saying that Brice has a leg up due to his experience and age. If Brice hadn't come in then Tabscott, Shuler, et al, would be fighting it out and we would still, likely, be in good hands in the Fall. I'm not a bit concerned. (well maybe a little, but it's still just football)
WE ARE YOSEF!

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:27 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:35 am
Very true that too many transfers can cause a cultural issue. Our culture and tradition has afforded us the opportunity to have a good amount of kids looking to transfer, to reach out. It is an easier when we have a prior relationship with a kid through previous recruiting. In the cases where we do not, tires are kicked and all stones are turned. We got some valuable feedback from coaches on Brice before pulling the trigger. And for those that showed concern about his performance as, “the guy”, at Duke; those questions were asked and the responses as to the results were satisfactory to the coaches.
I mean, i don’t see Cutcliffe as a type who would talk bad about a player transferring out, and there were valid reasons to be given for why he had a bad year. I tend to think he’ll be good for App, but he’s not a slam dunk by any means either.

ASU_Victory_Lap

Unread post by ASU_Victory_Lap » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:06 pm

All I know is we are two (2) days into spring practices. Let’s unclutch our pearls that our two true freshmen quarterbacks might not be ready to start. Even if they were, I don’t see the coaches screaming from the mountaintops who we’re going to be starting right away. We have three options teams might need to prepare for. Keep the air of mystery.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:39 am

FREQS AND GEEKS!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:58 am

When our Defense is really stout and brings it in practice it makes the offense have to perform at a high level. Nothing new but point is, when our team is used to high performance during practice it makes them all raise their game to the next level.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:30 am

GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:29 am

Defense is usually ahead of offense during the preseason in most aspects.I like what I am hearing , on and off the record.

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:36 am

In my best imitation Frank Caliendo doing Iverson in a Morgan Freeman voice, I'm happy; "We talkin bout practice, man!" Can't wait for Fall Football!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”