Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Spring Practice

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Spring Practice

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:58 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:27 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:22 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:11 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:01 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:42 am

So you are aware of the players meeting that more or less told Clark things need to change with play calling? And from that point forward, Petersen wasn't the primary play caller?
I was aware of a meeting with the team. They have had them in the past when there have been issues. What is your point? Are you saying that Peoples wasn’t able to hit the proper holes until someone else called the plays? Or that Hennigan could magically run more than a ten yard route on his bad hammy once the duties were stripped? Or that Pearson return from injury wasn’t a factor? We can agree that TP was not the ideal choice, but there was way more too it than that. I hope Clark learned his lesson. I have my concerns going forward if he has to replace Ponce down the road.
Lol when did Peoples have trouble hitting holes? And if so, you’re absolutely certain that him not hitting holes had nothing do with defenses stacking the box even more so than usual because of how predictable (run, run, pass on 3rd and 5+) every damn series was? We’re sure about that?
Again. I ask my questions to the right people. Draw your own conclusions brother.
All I’m saying is if you do have connections, you do a bad job of giving out any of the info you do receive - you use a lot of generalizations and kinda try to mansplain the sport like we aren’t all watching the same game on Saturdays. Bravo to AppStateNews actually providing context around situations rather than the standard “Oh i know something but can’t tell” schtick.
I’m sorry if you have a difficult time understanding what I am “generalizing.” Never said that AppStateNews was wrong. All I tried to provide is some general information around the situation outside of the OC. If you wish to ignore what I’m saying, that’s fine with me. As I said before, I see what you see and I know what I know. I provided you with context and you chose to challenge it. Tells me all I need to know about your opinion. Do I think that you are wrong in your opinion? Nope. It’s yours. Not trying to change it. Just giving my opinion as food for thought. Enjoy your day.

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:07 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:14 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:38 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:36 am

I get my insight directly from the horses mouth -- not a newspaper.
Same.
So you are aware of the players meeting that more or less told Clark things need to change with play calling? And from that point forward, Petersen wasn't the primary play caller?
I was aware of a meeting with the team. They have had them in the past when there have been issues. What is your point? Are you saying that Peoples wasn’t able to hit the proper holes until someone else called the plays? Or that Hennigan could magically run more than a ten yard route on his bad hammy once the duties were stripped? Or that Pearson return from injury wasn’t a factor? We can agree that TP was not the ideal choice, but there was way more too it than that. I hope Clark learned his lesson. I have my concerns going forward if he has to replace Ponce down the road.
You must not have read the part that said "from that point forward, Petersen wasn't the primary play caller." That is my point. And from that point forward, we looked more like App State football.

Peoples does hit the hole a little late occasionally, I do agree with that. Pearson returning was big as well. Hennigan still wasn't able to run 10 yards against GaSo, but they put him in a spot to make plays -- the week Petersen was no longer primary playcaller. In fact, that was the week we saw some slants against a stacked box!

The problem with Petersen is it was his show only. There wasn't allowed to be any feedback from players or coaching staff during the game. It got to the point the offense at half time was quiet because nobody wanted to speak up -- until GaSo week when Petersen was no longer primary play caller. And look what happened in the second half? We came out and played App State football.

I know for a fact of one player that would have returned if he knew Petersen was going to leave. My gut is telling me two, but I know of one for sure.

Petersen's problem, and he told me this face to face, is he didn't know how to call our offense. That is why he kept calling the same plays that weren't working. He didn't know what else to call. He is a great guy and I get the desire to defend him. The injury excuse is something that can be used for a few weeks. But when that is the same excuse in game 9 of 11 regular season games, that's simply all it is -- an excuse. The half of the game other people took over play calling, those excuses were no longer needed. Why? Because they took input from players based on what they saw, allowed "group think" with the play calling, and played App State football -- with the same group of players that struggled in the first half.
“...he didn’t know how to call our offense”
I don’t understand that comment from Petersen. Can somebody enlighten me?
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:14 am

Appsolutely wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:07 am
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Same.
You must not have read the part that said "from that point forward, Petersen wasn't the primary play caller." That is my point. And from that point forward, we looked more like App State football.

Peoples does hit the hole a little late occasionally, I do agree with that. Pearson returning was big as well. Hennigan still wasn't able to run 10 yards against GaSo, but they put him in a spot to make plays -- the week Petersen was no longer primary playcaller. In fact, that was the week we saw some slants against a stacked box!

The problem with Petersen is it was his show only. There wasn't allowed to be any feedback from players or coaching staff during the game. It got to the point the offense at half time was quiet because nobody wanted to speak up -- until GaSo week when Petersen was no longer primary play caller. And look what happened in the second half? We came out and played App State football.

I know for a fact of one player that would have returned if he knew Petersen was going to leave. My gut is telling me two, but I know of one for sure.

Petersen's problem, and he told me this face to face, is he didn't know how to call our offense. That is why he kept calling the same plays that weren't working. He didn't know what else to call. He is a great guy and I get the desire to defend him. The injury excuse is something that can be used for a few weeks. But when that is the same excuse in game 9 of 11 regular season games, that's simply all it is -- an excuse. The half of the game other people took over play calling, those excuses were no longer needed. Why? Because they took input from players based on what they saw, allowed "group think" with the play calling, and played App State football -- with the same group of players that struggled in the first half.
I think if you rewatch the games, you'll understand.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:24 am

Appsolutely wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Same.

He was brought in to run our offensive scheme. Not his own. The lack of familiarity with the execution and verbiage was an obstacle for him. The lack of an off season and a truncated pre season didn’t help. Opt outs and injuries to key players didn’t help. Some will say that he failed and will say that struggled. Not wrong in the latter. Looking at the Marshall game, he didn’t run the wrong route that led to the interception before halftime. He didn’t fumble the ball on a brilliant FG fake. He didn’t miss the FG late in the game after the offense got the ball into the red zone.

TP walked into a similar situation at ECU where he was told to run the offense that was already in place and not his own. He ran his offense at La Tech and it worked.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:00 am

The piece about not knowing how to call the offense means he didn't know the playbook/verbiage well enough to set the offense up to be successful. Add in not having a true preseason camp, injuries, opt-outs, etc. it definitely made it more difficult. While on the field, the offense looks very simple. But, that is not the case. It just looks simple because of the great coaching we have had over the years.

There is no doubt Petersen was dealt a crappy hand. The problem the players (and fans) had is he kept playing the same crappy hand instead of folding to try to get new cards. The crappy hand is only a problem on the first hand. When you keep said same crappy hand the entire game (or season) without changing it out, that is on you. When people are offering other cards to make your hand better (i.e. suggestions from players and staff) and you don't take them, that is on you.

Again, Petersen is a great guy. He just was not a fit for App State football.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:28 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:24 am
Appsolutely wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

He was brought in to run our offensive scheme. Not his own. The lack of familiarity with the execution and verbiage was an obstacle for him. The lack of an off season and a truncated pre season didn’t help. Opt outs and injuries to key players didn’t help. Some will say that he failed and will say that struggled. Not wrong in the latter. Looking at the Marshall game, he didn’t run the wrong route that led to the interception before halftime. He didn’t fumble the ball on a brilliant FG fake. He didn’t miss the FG late in the game after the offense got the ball into the red zone.

TP walked into a similar situation at ECU where he was told to run the offense that was already in place and not his own. He ran his offense at La Tech and it worked.
TP was hired at ECU along with a brand new staff. The previous staff ran an air raid, and that’s not at all what Scottie and TP ran at ECU. This sounds like some bad info to save face.

Also it did not work at LA Tech lol. He was “OC” there 3 years and had his play calling duties revoked after year 1. Had those privileges revoked after year 2 at ECU. There’s really no reason to cape up for him.

AppNC

Unread post by AppNC » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:51 pm

My inside informant is telling me that practices are going "good" and "fine". Don't get too excited though, that's been my daily information I've been given for the last 5 years. 😂

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:28 am

It seems spring practice is going well. It appears the OL will need to jell with all the changes. They are the most important to be in concert with each other. Excited for live football
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:33 am

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:28 am
It seems spring practice is going well. It appears the OL will need to jell with all the changes. They are the most important to be in concert with each other. Excited for live football
Halfway through Spring Practices....Who will be our OL 1s (projected starters for EZU)?

1st Team Bulls?

LT - Hardy
LG - Daley
C - Hunter
RG - McFarland
RT - Hodges
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:55 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:59 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:51 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:24 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:19 pm
Would like hear how Corey Sutton is doing?
He hasn’t practiced yet.
Reason?
Can’t speak to the reason. Just know he hasn’t seen the field.
Looks like this article and pic answers my question. Good to see #2 (C. Sutton) on the field.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2021/3/ ... 2xFIX4mpQI
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:06 am

This would be my guess. The guys in parenthesis are possible two deep guys.

LT- Hardy or Lindsay
LG- Daley (Mc Farland or Williams)
Center - Hunter (Hiers or Smith)
RG - Hiers (McFarland or Smith)
RT - Hodges (Hiers)
Last edited by AppSt94 on Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:35 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:06 am

LT- Hardy or Lindsay
RT - Garrison (Hiers)
Is Garrison not gone to UAB med school?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:46 am

booneboy92 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:35 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:06 am

LT- Hardy or Lindsay
RT - Garrison (Hiers)
Is Garrison not gone to UAB med school?
Ah. Thanks. I meant Hodges. We can call it an April Fool’s Day joke. :lol:

DoesntEvenGoHere

Unread post by DoesntEvenGoHere » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:20 pm

If someone here says that they have a "source" that told them that Tony Petersen was not the primary play-caller after some point during the year last season, then I have to ask:

How does it feel to find out that your source is purposefully or ignorantly giving you false information?

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:14 pm

Earlier in this thread it was stated that Petersen struggled because he was not familiar with our playbook/verbiage.
Really? A career offensive coordinator who can’t get up to speed with our playbook? Or who can’t adjust to changes in offensive verbiage?
Good luck, Illinois.
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:25 pm

Appsolutely wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:14 pm
Earlier in this thread it was stated that Petersen struggled because he was not familiar with our playbook/verbiage.
Really? A career offensive coordinator who can’t get up to speed with our playbook? Or who can’t adjust to changes in offensive verbiage?
Good luck, Illinois.
It was a combination of many things. Lack of familiarity with personnel, lack of on the field and in person film study attributed to it. Not to mention injuries to key players that limited play calling options.

Everyone has there own opinion on why we “struggled” offensively. And TP is an easy target for finger pointing. But ask yourselves this. If he was such a horrible OC with a horrible track record, why did we lose him to a P5? I understand that it’s Illinois. But you would expect Bielema to do his due diligence on him and ask those questions. My guess is that the answers he got were vastly different than what is being suggested on this board.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:30 pm

I'm not really sure what new things anyone can find to say about Petersen at this point. But, looking at his track record, is it possible that he's a pretty good QB coach but not as good an offensive coordinator?

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:52 pm

My source is telling me that TP didn't even like Duke's.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:16 pm

You cannot ever convince me that TP was the primary play caller in the Myrtle Beach Bowl. That game looked completely different than any other game.

If Ted Roof can change up what he does as a coordinator three games into a season, TP could have done so as well.

DoesntEvenGoHere

Unread post by DoesntEvenGoHere » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:06 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:16 pm
You cannot ever convince me that TP was the primary play caller in the Myrtle Beach Bowl. That game looked completely different than any other game.

If Ted Roof can change up what he does as a coordinator three games into a season, TP could have done so as well.
I'm not going to argue with you, as I understand your point. We know what we know and we think what we think and until someone can pinpoint evidence to prove something one way or the other, everyone is going to believe whatever they want to believe.

It's so easy for me or anyone else to lean on the term "source" and not have to verify anything. The issue with it is that this is something that won't ever be solved because TP is gone. People are not going to out their sources or anything for information that is now irrelevant to the program and fanbase.

I know that TP called every game. If people want to believe otherwise, so be it.

But back to the original topic:

The team looks good from all aspects. A couple of groups need to find quality depth, but the starters for O and D (or projected/reasonably expected) look good. Hearing good things about Chase Brice, and our offense has a chance to be really really good if he can play well. WR and RB are loaded and the OL should still be good enough to let those guys go to work. The defense looks fast and physical.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”