Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Spring Practice

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: Spring Practice

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:55 pm

Looks like Brice has a cannon.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:53 pm

GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:50 am

I've read a few quotes about Brice having had a 'bad' year at Duke. Well, his numbers were very similar to Zac Thomas', with the exception of a few more INTs - and I think that had more to do with the other Duke talent at receiver. Of course, there those who say Zac had a bad year, which I don't agree with. He got Petersen'd

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:08 am

sixtoes9134 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:50 am
I've read a few quotes about Brice having had a 'bad' year at Duke. Well, his numbers were very similar to Zac Thomas', with the exception of a few more INTs - and I think that had more to do with the other Duke talent at receiver. Of course, there those who say Zac had a bad year, which I don't agree with. He got Petersen'd
Zac’s 2021 stats were on par with his lone year with Ponce. Aside from the INT numbers of course. 2019 stats were skewed by the fact that he completed 39 more passes than he did in 2021. Same avg/p though. Completion percentages remained pretty consistent though. Only real difference was who he was throwing too last year versus the two previous years. Enjoy your day.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:19 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:08 am
Zac’s 2021 stats were on par with his lone year with Ponce. Aside from the INT numbers of course. 2019 stats were skewed by the fact that he completed 39 more passes than he did in 2021. Same avg/p though. Completion percentages remained pretty consistent though. Only real difference was who he was throwing too last year versus the two previous years. Enjoy your day.
You do realize the INT number being lower is very important, right? This is like saying a point guard had pretty much the same numbers except the turnovers went up. Or a sprinter saying they had basically the same time but just a second slower.

Zac completed 39 more passes which means he had at least 4 more attempts a game and had less interceptions.

The definition of insane is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. That's exactly what Petersen did last year. "Oh, our young guys can't get separation.. LETS RUN THE SAME PLAY AGAIN AND AGAIN!"
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:37 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:19 am
AppSt94 wrote:
You do realize the INT number being lower is very important, right? This is like saying a point guard had pretty much the same numbers except the turnovers went up. Or a sprinter saying they had basically the same time but just a second slower.

Zac completed 39 more passes which means he had at least 4 more attempts a game and had less interceptions.

The definition of insane is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. That's exactly what Petersen did last year. "Oh, our young guys can't get separation.. LETS RUN THE SAME PLAY AGAIN AND AGAIN!"
We don’t need to go down this road again. We don’t see eye to eye on what happened and who is to blame. Yes, the number of INTs is important. The poster stated that Brice’s INTs at Duke could be attributed to the quality of receivers. Why can’t that same logic be applied to the receivers that we ran out there? Aside, from Malik, there is no constant at WR from the previous year. Hennigan and Virgil were not healthy for a good portion of the year. Sutton was out. It was essentially a different group. Blame who you want. To each his own.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:45 am

"I've read a few quotes about Brice having had a 'bad' year at Duke. Well, his numbers were very similar to Zac Thomas', with the exception of a few more INTs - and I think that had more to do with the other Duke talent at receiver."

The talent level at receiver for Duke, and the level of talent against a full P5/ACC schedule.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:32 am

sixtoes9134 wrote:
Brice threw 15 INTs and lost 10 fumbles by himself. Again i tend to lean toward Brice being good for us, but there’s a reason why the only other real competition for his services was UAB.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:39 am

:P :x
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:37 am
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

We don’t need to go down this road again. We don’t see eye to eye on what happened and who is to blame. Yes, the number of INTs is important. The poster stated that Brice’s INTs at Duke could be attributed to the quality of receivers. Why can’t that same logic be applied to the receivers that we ran out there? Aside, from Malik, there is no constant at WR from the previous year. Hennigan and Virgil were not healthy for a good portion of the year. Sutton was out. It was essentially a different group. Blame who you want. To each his own.
The only problem with this hypothesis is Louisiana was missing their top WRs last year too, they seemed to be able to figure out how to make their freshman WR work for the rest of the season. Why could we not make Wells and Horn work? They’re more than talented enough. We were down to 2nd stringers, not scout teamers. There was enough talent there to not lose 3 games to an all G5/FCSschedule.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:42 am

sixtoes9134 wrote:
TDs: Thomas 21 / Brice 10

INTs: Thomas 11 / Brice 15

Completion%: Thomas 64% / Brice 55%

Yards per attempt: Thomas 7.5 / Brice 6.2

Rush yards: Thomas 312 / Brice 89

Yards per carry: Thomas 3.5 / Brice 1.0

Rating: Thomas 142.2 / Brice 107.5

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:46 am

I just don't believe this statement about who might have been interested in Brice - I will not believe only 2 programs had interest in a QB who played important minutes for Clemson during a national championship season and played every snap for a Duke team which played quality competition - I think the thing that Brice might do over - looking back which is easy - is not transfer to Duke - It looked good initially but Duke lost so many qualities players even before the season began he was relegated to QBing a team which probably would have finished mid-pack in the SunBelt
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:00 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:39 am
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

The only problem with this hypothesis is Louisiana was missing their top WRs last year too, they seemed to be able to figure out how to make their freshman WR work for the rest of the season. Why could we not make Wells and Horn work? They’re more than talented enough. We were down to 2nd stringers, not scout teamers. There was enough talent there to not lose 3 games to an all G5/FCSschedule.
That’s great for them. Just because one does it, you can’t use your fandom to assert that WE should be able to do the same because we have guys that are talented enough. I’m not knocking Horn or Wells here. I thought both played well last year when pressed into service. But unless you are at practice, in the film room, or weight room, we don’t have any idea what limitations they had or vulnerabilities in their game that limited the play calling available or the ability to create for them. I’m not saying there wasn’t plenty of blame to go around for the “devastating” 9-3 season. I just know there were a lot of factors that went into last seasons performance on offense. And more than not, those factors had nothing to do with the former OC.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:03 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:46 am
I just don't believe this statement about who might have been interested in Brice - I will not believe only 2 programs had interest in a QB who played important minutes for Clemson during a national championship season and played every snap for a Duke team which played quality competition - I think the thing that Brice might do over - looking back which is easy - is not transfer to Duke - It looked good initially but Duke lost so many qualities players even before the season began he was relegated to QBing a team which probably would have finished mid-pack in the SunBelt
https://amp.thestate.com/sports/college ... 12025.html

Went back and found the article for you. My bad, it was 4 FBS teams that reached out, not 2. Ark State, UAB, App, and Rice. While yes we have a good thing going on the mountain and we will attract different types of talent nowadays, there’s generally a reason a guy is having to drop down to G5.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:06 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:00 am
Yosef10 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

That’s great for them. Just because one does it, you can’t use your fandom to assert that WE should be able to do the same because we have guys that are talented enough. I’m not knocking Horn or Wells here. I thought both played well last year when pressed into service. But unless you are at practice, in the film room, or weight room, we don’t have any idea what limitations they had or vulnerabilities in their game that limited the play calling available or the ability to create for them. I’m not saying there wasn’t plenty of blame to go around for the “devastating” 9-3 season. I just know there were a lot of factors that went into last seasons performance on offense. And more than not, those factors had nothing to do with the former OC.
So are you at practice, the film room, and the weight room? What limitations do they have that you can share that you have based your opinion on? Cause from where I’m sitting it looks like a superior tactical guy in Napier was able to get significant production out of the same FRWR y’all are saying were to blame for Apps regression of offense.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:12 am

I’ll also take a guess that if a man who rhymes with BEli Linkawitz was still the coach there would be much harsher takes than “oh it’s just bc the young WR weren’t coached up and ready” (that is what you’re saying by the way), but that’s another conversation for another time.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:30 am

AppSt94 wrote:
And more than not, those factors had nothing to do with the former OC.
That is not what the players say. Heck, that's not what Petersen said. He knows he called bad games. He simply didn't know how to call our offense -- even with the healthy players.
tAPPedInSports.net

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:30 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:06 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

So are you at practice, the film room, and the weight room? What limitations do they have that you can share that you have based your opinion on? Cause from where I’m sitting it looks like a superior tactical guy in Napier was able to get significant production out of the same FRWR y’all are saying were to blame for Apps regression of offense.
I see what you see on the field. I don’t just look at stats and outcomes to gauge my conclusions. I ask the same questions that you guys do. I just get answers from places that I trust to know the whole truth.

Yes. AppStateNews is correct in a great deal of his assessment. It does look like we didn’t make adjustments. It did look like we would run the ball straight into the line without success. But there is a lot more to the story. I have had these conversations with the guy I sit with at games. Plays are designed to work if they are executed correctly. Zone blocking only works if the back hits the right hole. Throws only work when H-Backs, TEs and RB can handle the blitz pickup and the correct routes are run. Flat routes are only successful if you have RBs that are adept to catching the ball out of the backfield.

As a fan, we like to think that parts are interchangeable and the next man up, is going to produce in the same manner. But they just aren’t. If the coach calls for a seven yard out. That’s the throw the QB is going to make. If the WR runs a five yard route; That’s a problem. It’s hard to adjust when the pieces aren’t all working together. You can change play-callers, but if the tools that he is using aren’t quite up to the job as the old ones, then you are going to have some things to work on.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:32 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:30 am
AppSt94 wrote:
That is not what the players say. Heck, that's not what Petersen said. He knows he called bad games. He simply didn't know how to call our offense -- even with the healthy players.
Again. We will agree to disagree. I don’t get my insight from players or a quote from a Coach in the paper.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:36 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:32 am
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Again. We will agree to disagree. I don’t get my insight from players or a quote from a Coach in the paper.
I get my insight directly from the horses mouth -- not a newspaper.
tAPPedInSports.net

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:38 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:36 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:32 am
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
I get my insight directly from the horses mouth -- not a newspaper.
Same.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”