Huesman returning for 6th year

T-Dog

Huesman returning for 6th year

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed May 26, 2021 2:56 pm

Just reveleaed by Chris Vannini after a convo with Clark. Will compete with Brice for QB1.

ASU3432Mi
School: Appalachian State

Re: Huesman returning for 6th year

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Wed May 26, 2021 3:00 pm

Wow!

Captain Morgan

Unread post by Captain Morgan » Wed May 26, 2021 3:19 pm

wow indeed. we're loading up at skill positions.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed May 26, 2021 3:31 pm

Having them push each other can't be a bad thing it would seem. I prefer Brice earn it if he is to be the starter and before this it seemed it was just a foregone conclusion. And for Huesman to give us 6 years it is hard to not route for him.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppHoops

Unread post by AppHoops » Wed May 26, 2021 3:51 pm

With such a veteran offensive group in place, it's nice to have to have two really experienced QB's on the roster that can lead the team. Happy Huesman was given the opportunity to come back given what all he's put into the program.

My only concern is that this will be the 4th year in a row that App will go through a season without establishing an heir apparent to Thomas or getting a younger QB an opportunity for live reps over the course of the season. Thomas/Huesman for 3 years and now two seniors in Brice/Huesman this year.

I know true freshmen and guys with no reps come into college football and succeed all of the time, but it'd be nice to at least know you have someone in place going into 2022 that has some experience. 2022 we will be going in with a true clean slate unless we go the Grad Transfer route again.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed May 26, 2021 3:57 pm

AppHoops wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 3:51 pm
My only concern is that this will be the 4th year in a row that App will go through a season without establishing an heir apparent to Thomas or getting a younger QB an opportunity for live reps over the course of the season. Thomas/Huesman for 3 years and now two seniors in Brice/Huesman this year.

I know true freshmen and guys with no reps come into college football and succeed all of the time, but it'd be nice to at least know you have someone in place going into 2022 that has some experience. 2022 we will be going in with a true clean slate unless we go the Grad Transfer route again.
Valid point but that shipped sailed as soon as Brice was on the team for this year. At some point we may have to bite the bullet and worry about an off-season at QB to work this out.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

asueddie

Unread post by asueddie » Wed May 26, 2021 4:02 pm

Does anyone find this a little bit unsettling, or at least curious? I hope there is a sensible explanation why after spring practice Huesman has been added to the QB room

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed May 26, 2021 4:07 pm

I do believe Brice has 2 seasons of eligibility left =
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed May 26, 2021 4:10 pm

AppHoops wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 3:51 pm
With such a veteran offensive group in place, it's nice to have to have two really experienced QB's on the roster that can lead the team. Happy Huesman was given the opportunity to come back given what all he's put into the program.

Unless I'm mistaken, Brice has two years eligibility remaining. This gives a quality backup with another year to develop underclass talent, if we can keep them.
WE ARE YOSEF!

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed May 26, 2021 4:13 pm

Another question is will Brice give up number 7 so Huesman can have it back?
WE ARE YOSEF!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed May 26, 2021 5:40 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 4:13 pm
That is a good question. Looks like Jacob will wear #8.

https://appstatesports.com/sports/football/roster
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 26, 2021 6:21 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 5:40 pm
goapps93 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 4:13 pm
That is a good question. Looks like Jacob will wear #8.

https://appstatesports.com/sports/football/roster
Looks like Shuler gave up #8 for Jacob. He has changed to #12.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed May 26, 2021 8:11 pm

Meh...my feelings would be different if he had significant playing time in the past 5 years, but very little in game experience. He could still win the starting role, but to have him get reps in clean up time when those could go to younger guys on the depth chart just doesn't make much sense to me.

Not hating on him for continuing his education and playing the sport he loves, just not sure how this benefits the team long term.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 26, 2021 8:36 pm

I can see where some feel that this might slow development of the younger guys. So here is what Jacob brings to the table. He was invaluable to Zac. He was a second set of eyes from the sidelines. He was instrumental in communication with Zac and the coaches. As a signal caller, he brings a stabilizing figure that will keep the pace of play moving by getting signals into Brice. He will serve as a mentor to those young guys as they take over those duties in the future. I get the concern over reps. But as the #2, he can come in, if needed, without little deviation from the game plan. He can operate 100% of the playbook. Without him, I don’t think that you can run your entire playbook with the other guys. It’s like having a Grad Assistant that can play and you can play him with confidence. I trust Clark and Ponce to handle the maturation of the young guys.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Wed May 26, 2021 8:47 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 8:11 pm
Meh...my feelings would be different if he had significant playing time in the past 5 years, but very little in game experience. He could still win the starting role, but to have him get reps in clean up time when those could go to younger guys on the depth chart just doesn't make much sense to me.

Not hating on him for continuing his education and playing the sport he loves, just not sure how this benefits the team long term.
I’ve got the exact opposite view. We’ve known since winter that Chase Brice was QB1. What we’ve been less sure about were QB2, QB3 and QB4. They are, in order, a walkon, a true freshman and a redshirt freshman. They all are talented but evidently not ready to replace Brice if needed. Jacob Heusman is the one QB in the country who is infinitely familiar with our system, yet unselfish enough to take the QB2 spot. Major upgrade.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed May 26, 2021 9:01 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 8:47 pm

I’ve got the exact opposite view. We’ve known since winter that Chase Brice was QB1. What we’ve been less sure about were QB2, QB3 and QB4. They are, in order, a walkon, a true freshman and a redshirt freshman. They all are talented but evidently not ready to replace Brice if needed. Jacob Heusman is the one QB in the country who is infinitely familiar with our system, yet unselfish enough to take the QB2 spot. Major upgrade.
Spot on 78!
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed May 26, 2021 9:31 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:

LONG TERM I don't see the benefits. This upcoming season, sure it could help. Personally I've not seen anything talent wise from Heusman that screams major upgrade, but he knows the culture and offense, sure. I'll give you that. I just feel those are valuable potential reps someone like Tabscott that was recruited heavily could have to help with the future. Lastly, I don't how you can accurately say evidently they're not ready to replace Brice when we've not even hit camp yet?
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu May 27, 2021 5:06 am

I believe Brice has two years left. If so, assuming he is the QB over that time, the younger guys will get their chance to play the back up. I Huesman as the bridge to the future.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu May 27, 2021 6:52 am

Wed May 26, 2021 9:31 pm
AppGrad78 wrote:

LONG TERM I don't see the benefits. This upcoming season, sure it could help. Personally I've not seen anything talent wise from Heusman that screams major upgrade, but he knows the culture and offense, sure. I'll give you that. I just feel those are valuable potential reps someone like Tabscott that was recruited heavily could have to help with the future. Lastly, I don't how you can accurately say evidently they're not ready to replace Brice when we've not even hit camp yet?
When was the last time we had a backup QB get valuable reps in a game? The reps come during practice and we should trust Ponce to manage those reps in the manner that he sees fit.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu May 27, 2021 7:13 am

asueddie wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 4:02 pm
Does anyone find this a little bit unsettling, or at least curious? I hope there is a sensible explanation why after spring practice Huesman has been added to the QB room
Yes!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”