Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Roll Neers?

goapps93

Re: Roll Neers?

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:29 am

Roll 'Neers < GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!!!
WE ARE YOSEF!

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:51 am

Seattleapp wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:22 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:50 am
It's not my cheer of choice, but I admit it's kind of funny how mad it makes older fans. Especially when they yell at people on a message board and then have to hold their tongues upon realizing all our players say it.

Surely you all must have a finite amount of rage to spend on more important things?
To play devils advocate, I’ve always found it funny that when “the kids” adopt something, their position is automatically valid but if “older people” have a differing opinion, their position is almost automatically criticized as if anyone over then age of, oh I don’t know, thirty couldn’t possible have a well reasoned thought.

I don’t care really who says what. personally Neers sounds pretty ignorant to be honest. But if kids want to say it to seem cool whatever. Having said that, if ‘older people’, whatever that means, who have for decades always called App, App don’t love the rebranding of their University and the traditions of that university, their position isn’t any less valid.

And if we want to be that football traditional powerhouse you must maintain your identity. In Tuscaloosa roll tide isn’t going to be replaced anytime soon. Ohio state isn’t getting rid of O-H-I-O. And Clemson will keep spelling out their name at the games. If we are always getting cute to pander to each group of 18 year olds we will be more MAC then SEC. I think that’s why maybe some fans bristle at the continual “coolest thing” But maybe I’m just showing my age.
You are. ;)

It's not as if doing one new thing means you have to get rid of all the other traditions. Some college kids yelling Roll Neers doesn't prevent 30,000 people from doing the "App...State" chant, nor the band from playing Bugler's Dream at kickoff.

I do understand what you mean about the whole young person/old person thing. To me, it's not about whose views are "valid." It's more that, yes, young people can sometimes ignore traditions and think they've reinvented the wheel; but older people seem like they want everything to stay exactly like it was when they were young, and get mad at the slightest changes. (Never mind the big ones.)

Again, I'm not saying it's the greatest thing ever. If you don't like it, don't say it. It's not hurting anyone. It's not embarrassing to the school like a certain chant the students do at kickoff.

BTW, I'm 43, so definitely not "young." Too old to say Roll Neers, too young to be triggered by it. :lol:

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:10 am

Seattleapp wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
It's not my cheer of choice, but I admit it's kind of funny how mad it makes older fans. Especially when they yell at people on a message board and then have to hold their tongues upon realizing all our players say it.

Surely you all must have a finite amount of rage to spend on more important things?
To play devils advocate, I’ve always found it funny that when “the kids” adopt something, their position is automatically valid but if “older people” have a differing opinion, their position is almost automatically criticized as if anyone over then age of, oh I don’t know, thirty couldn’t possible have a well reasoned thought.

I don’t care really who says what. personally Neers sounds pretty ignorant to be honest. But if kids want to say it to seem cool whatever. Having said that, if ‘older people’, whatever that means, who have for decades always called App, App don’t love the rebranding of their University and the traditions of that university, their position isn’t any less valid.

And if we want to be that football traditional powerhouse you must maintain your identity. In Tuscaloosa roll tide isn’t going to be replaced anytime soon. Ohio state isn’t getting rid of O-H-I-O. And Clemson will keep spelling out their name at the games. If we are always getting cute to pander to each group of 18 year olds we will be more MAC then SEC. I think that’s why maybe some fans bristle at the continual “coolest thing” But maybe I’m just showing my age.
The "Get off my lawn" was intended as a joke. This is a dumb argument. Let folks cheer how they want to. Some people on here are taking the Neers thing way to seriously in my opinion. The more people cheer for App the better, no matter how they do it.

yosef95

Unread post by yosef95 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:43 am

Neers is almost as bad as Appy or Appy State

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:46 am

I don’t get why folks get so worked up about some fans cheering a certain way . If you like your cheer do it but don’t knock others. The whole purpose of our sports is to have fun supporting the team. Let people have fun young, old , whatever.

I don’t like this my way or the highway attitude.

I just welcome the support.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:49 am

I don't think we have ever needed that first game to happen as bad as we do this year. :lol:

Mikebibbyforthreeeee

Unread post by Mikebibbyforthreeeee » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:26 am

I guess we have it good as a program when the only thing we have to complain about is a simple cheer.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:31 am

As long as they don't boo our players as has been done by idiot "fans" over the years, most anything is OK
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:25 pm

I'm not sure why people started to say Neer's and Roll Neer's in the first place. Does anyone know how it even started? My guess is students in the mid 2010's started it once the word App/Apps became known as a tech term. Prior to that App/Apps was all anyone said.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:26 pm

I'll take "Roll 'Neers!" all day long if I never have to hear the student section's classless shout to the opposing kicker again.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

appsfan

Unread post by appsfan » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:54 pm

While I don't prefer Roll 'Neers, it doesn't bother me. It seems the first time I heard it used was in the 80's...

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:08 pm

Quite honestly it beats the “go pack” or “go heels” that most students were spouting when I was there.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:20 pm

The community college I went to before I transferred to App is the Dolphins and everyone there always said Roll Fins. I feel like kids just use it on whatever mascot is associated with their school because it's popular to say.
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:38 pm

As long as they keep rolling.........................................

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:01 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:31 am
As long as they don't boo our players as has been done by idiot "fans" over the years, most anything is OK
Who’s roundly booing our players?

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:04 pm

NeersBy90 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:10 am
Seattleapp wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

The "Get off my lawn" was intended as a joke. This is a dumb argument. Let folks cheer how they want to. Some people on here are taking the Neers thing way to seriously in my opinion. The more people cheer for App the better, no matter how they do it.
I just want to see packed stands for four quarters

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:47 pm

beav910 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:20 pm
The community college I went to before I transferred to App is the Dolphins and everyone there always said Roll Fins. I feel like kids just use it on whatever mascot is associated with their school because it's popular to say.
Should have used Swim Fins!

To the topic :
When someone doesn’t like something it’s not necessarily complaining. I don’t necessarily like roll neers or Appy. Neither will kill me so oh well. I don’t like mushrooms either but I guess some of those could kill you. Now I’m complaining: you suck at kick off is about as juvenile and classless as can be. Kids are not looking at that as a big deal at all it’s just fun. But my opinion is (age in play here?) overall sportsmanship in KBS is declining. Not only towards opposing teams but each other. May be the way of the world now.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:49 pm

appst89 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:15 am
I don't like it and would never use it, but if it gets the current students involved and engaged then so be it.
This is the right take. I personally don’t like it but there are a million things to be more worried about lmao

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:55 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:06 pm
I hate it….
I’ll add that to the list…..sorry, you left it just sitting there

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:18 pm

97 graduate and I must say I prefer Go Neers over Go Apps. I get that Neers is short for Mountaineers, never really liked the idea of Apps being short for Appalachians. Never made sense to me. Truth be told, don't love either and don't really care as long as the crowd is in it and supporting our team. GoRollAppaNeers. There, solved.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”