Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Football traditions

Saint3333

Football traditions

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:31 pm

Other thread got me thinking.

What are our oldest traditions?

- Bugler's dream on kickoffs - at least since the 80's
- Tennessee Waltz postgame - 80's, probably before
- Welcome to Rock - mid-2000's
- Hell's Bells on 3rd down - mid-2000's
- App State alternating sides - mid-2000's?
- Mountaineer walk - mid-2000's
- Kicking @$$ - 1899

appsfan

Re: Football traditions

Unread post by appsfan » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:48 pm

Mountaineers nickname- late 20's (26,27, or 28?)
Homecoming- 1934
Yosef- 1948

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:28 pm

When did that worn out, overused “we will rock you” thing become a “tradition?”I thought it sucked in 2019, and got minimal participation from the fans. If it’s being used because of the “rock” reference...not a good enough reason to lean on a cliche.
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

spacemonkey
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by spacemonkey » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:11 pm

Appsolutely wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:28 pm
When did that worn out, overused “we will rock you” thing become a “tradition?”I thought it sucked in 2019, and got minimal participation from the fans. If it’s being used because of the “rock” reference...not a good enough reason to lean on a cliche.
I agree...horrible!!!!!!

Still like the drum cadence that ends with the crowd yelling "give em Hell"!!!!!!
I know it was big 88-92 at basketball games. I think Football as well.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:35 pm

My fellow Mountaineers ... you have not mentioned the Fight Song.

IMO, best college fight song ever; it doesn't get any better than that. I have heard it is an old Bavarian drinking song, which somehow ... seems... appropriate ... at least from what I recall of my undergrad days.

And, the Marching Mountaineers' entrance to KBS whilst playing the Fight Song is GREAT!

The more recent drum line after the band gets in place along the sidelines is good too.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:00 pm

Roll!!!!!!!

Neers!!!!!

That’s what I’m hoping sticks

CLTAPP92

Unread post by CLTAPP92 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:47 pm

AppAlum1 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:35 pm

IMO, best college fight song ever; it doesn't get any better than that. I have heard it is an old Bavarian drinking song, which somehow ... seems... appropriate ... at least from what I recall of my undergrad days.

And, the Marching Mountaineers' entrance to KBS whilst playing the Fight Song is GREAT!

The more recent drum line after the band gets in place along the sidelines is good too.
Mountain Vagabond:

Many other versions available if you google the song, some not so polka’ish, but I think it is cool.

With respect to traditions, I would love to know what happened to the “Give ‘em Hell” drum break and chant. I was in drum line 88/89 and it was a fervent tradition for students. Seems to me it may have been frowned upon by a certain administration following this era- along with removing the pipe from the Yosef logo among other items.

Tradition, from my perspective, is based more upon a longer span of time rather than simply picking up another football dynasty’s tag line.

This said, Mountaineers don’t roll....we Give ‘me Hell and Kick Ass!

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:13 pm

You could not beat hearing the band drums from the old music building and marching to Conrad Stadium closer closer up stadium drive louder and louder then into the stadium!

Cheerleaders coming into the stadium on an old A? Model.

A real human Mountaineer!

I wish “you suck!” Would just go away.

APP! STATE! very cool. I know other schools have theirs like ECU. PIE! RATS!

Oh and I don’t think I like the train whistle. For some reason reminds me of a MAC school.

Love some back in black!

And always. Give em hell!

ASU_Victory_Lap

Unread post by ASU_Victory_Lap » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:03 pm

Appsolutely wrote:
I absolutely hate this new “tradition” and it needs to be dropped ASAP. Extremely low participation and wayyy too long. Nobody asked for this so I don’t know why it’s being pushed so hard. Nothing wrong with recognizing that something didn’t work and going back to the drawing board. However, they introduced it to the freshmen, so I don’t think it’s going anywhere.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:24 pm

ASU_Victory_Lap wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:03 pm
Appsolutely wrote:
I absolutely hate this new “tradition” and it needs to be dropped ASAP. Extremely low participation and wayyy too long. Nobody asked for this so I don’t know why it’s being pushed so hard. Nothing wrong with recognizing that something didn’t work and going back to the drawing board. However, they introduced it to the freshmen, so I don’t think it’s going anywhere.
You are right and this is exactly why traditional never become traditions when everyone is trying to insert a new one every other year

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:28 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:31 pm
Other thread got me thinking.

- Bugler's dream on kickoffs - at least since the 80's
- Tennessee Waltz postgame - 80's, probably before
- Welcome to Rock - mid-2000's
- Hell's Bells on 3rd down - mid-2000's
- App State alternating sides - mid-2000's?
- Mountaineer walk - mid-2000's
- Kicking @$$ - 1899

**Bugler's Dream on the KOs started n 1976 with the Olympics. Dr. Joe Phelps (Director of Bands) started it and it's been a staple ever since
**Tennessee Waltz - I never got the connection for it with ASU but the BOD has been doing at least since 1973 when I started. Last home game a senior trumpeter is chosen to solo the opening
**Welcome to the Rock, Hell's Bells, alternating App-State, Mountaineer Walk all started after I left in 1978.
**I miss the old IA Model A with the cheerleaders riding into the stadium.
**I miss the Appalettes Dance team (Mama mia!!)
**Kicking @$$.....well tradition never graduates.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

tigersef

Unread post by tigersef » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:44 pm

I propose a new tradition that would be completely unique to App. We now have two blank white walls in the north end zone. The addition of climbing walls on one or both of these facades would create a “Rock Wall” in which Yosef, and other folks, could climb up during the game at various points, wave some flags, lead some cheers, and get the crowd going. There could also be racing competitions similar to what occurred during the olympics that would offer some entertainment during TV timeouts. Could be fun.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:59 pm

My favorite tradition is WINNING!
Bring Your A Game!

roachgone

Unread post by roachgone » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:02 am

AppAlum1 wrote:

I agree but something you probably don’t know. Our fight song ( except the middle section which was added 20 years ago or so) was not our fight song before the 1970s or 1980s. Not sure when the change was made.Our current fight song was the intro for our real fight song which was Dixie. But that got ditched for politically correct reasons. The old guys will remember this. FYI

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:04 pm

roachgone wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:02 am
AppAlum1 wrote:

I agree but something you probably don’t know. Our fight song ( except the middle section which was added 20 years ago or so) was not our fight song before the 1970s or 1980s. Not sure when the change was made.Our current fight song was the intro for our real fight song which was Dixie. But that got ditched for politically correct reasons. The old guys will remember this. FYI
Must have been in the 70's because I definitely don't remember Dixie being played while I was in school.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:28 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:11 pm
Appsolutely wrote:
I agree...horrible!!!!!!

Still like the drum cadence that ends with the crowd yelling "give em Hell"!!!!!!
I know it was big 88-92 at basketball games. I think Football as well.
Do they still have the band march down King Street and up to the stadium while playing that? That was one of the coolest things to me when I was in school (late '90s).

I don't think I've seen the Skol clap/We Will Rock You thing that everyone hates. I think our lamest "tradition" is actually the Welcome to the Rock video.

APP72

Unread post by APP72 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:04 pm

I graduated in 1972 and our current fight song is the song that I heard! I never heard Dixie!
A CHAMPION IS SOMEONE WHO GETS UP WHEN HE CAN’T!
JACK DEMPSEY

roachgone

Unread post by roachgone » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:33 pm

APP72 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:04 pm
I graduated in 1972 and our current fight song is the song that I heard! I never heard Dixie!
I was there‘68-71. I know the first year or two at least I am right . Not sure when changed. Some other old heads will remember. Current fight song minus the go, fight, kick ass part was merely the intro to Dixie. Too many younguns on here.😂😂

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:08 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:31 pm

Winning football games

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:22 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:04 pm
roachgone wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:02 am
AppAlum1 wrote:

Must have been in the 70's because I definitely don't remember Dixie being played while I was in school.
I’ll admit the years 1970-1974 are a little fuzzy( too many trips to “the Rock” I guess) but I do not remember Dixie. I’m gunna say maybe the 60’s.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”