Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

QB

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

QB

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:10 pm

I’m not hearing near as much about progression at this position as I would hope to. If we need to take the topic to The Lodge let’s do it.

mountaineerman

Re: QB

Unread post by mountaineerman » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:15 pm

I’m not hearing anything as usual just bits and pieces from an amazing video crew. It’s baffling the small amount of info from App state for more than 20’years. From what I’ve heard which mean absolutely nothing we’re going to be good.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:19 pm

If you want to know what we have for a QB just watch this highlight reel.

https://youtu.be/0eW8Snw5KNY

TomA415

Unread post by TomA415 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:30 pm

I’m not that worried about our starter. More worried about the depth moving forward post ‘21

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:33 pm

He can make any throw any App QB has been able to.

He also has put the ball is some dangerous places.

Probably the best App QB comparison I can make is Joe Burchette. Hopefully he’s not at Klondike on Thursdays however.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:15 pm

I ain't skeered.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:12 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:33 pm
He can make any throw any App QB has been able to.

He also has put the ball is some dangerous places.

Probably the best App QB comparison I can make is Joe Burchette. Hopefully he’s not at Klondike on Thursdays however.
I get the comparisons to Burchette, but maybe I would ask this: Do you think Joe Burchette could have been a starting QB in a successful FBS program?

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:46 am

Yes

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:53 am

Joe Burchette was a great QB in the power I. He had a cannon for an arm. One of my favorite plays was a simple sweep where Joe pitched the ball and found himself out in front of the runner so he bulldozed over the linebacker in front of him. Maybe not hall of fame numbers but that was a different style of football. Joe was also a great guy. He threw a ball or two to my two boys after games.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:04 am

appstate77 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:15 pm
I ain't skeered.

If you're skeered, say you are skeered.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:12 am

I totally get the comparison thing that guys always want to do but personally I don’t do that. I’d rather consider a player for what he is and rate his skill level. Have we had a guy of this size with the ability to make throws on the money both to the sidelines and 50 yards downfield (on the money) while under pressure? Over the years we have had all types. I think we have progressed with the level of QB. Zac showed that he would not wilt “under the lights” and played great in Happy Valley, Chapel Hill and Columbia. No knock on some of our past greats but it’s one thing to run over Furman and it’s another to run over a Miami Hurricane. From what I’ve seen Bryce has a gun and has made some impressive throws- in practice. Once I see protection break down and he has to either zip a pass to his 3rd option or makes a horrible throw to a linebacker we will have a better idea of where we are. I’m excited for what I think we have, which is a true high level D1 quarterback.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:23 am

Brice is certainly not Zac. Don’t expect as much. Where Zac would take off down the field and get what he could from his legs, Brice is going to stay in the pocket, go through his progressions and let the downfield routes develop. He is also comfortable dropping the ball off to his check downs to get what he can out of the play. Combination of Lamb’s smarts and Thomas’ grit, with a better arm than both.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:43 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:23 am
Brice is certainly not Zac. Don’t expect as much. Where Zac would take off down the field and get what he could from his legs, Brice is going to stay in the pocket, go through his progressions and let the downfield routes develop. He is also comfortable dropping the ball off to his check downs to get what he can out of the play. Combination of Lamb’s smarts and Thomas’ grit, with a better arm than both.

If this is what our QB is(I pray that you are correct), then buckle up because it's going to be a fun ride!
FREQS AND GEEKS!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:54 am

Maybe I am wrong in the assumption, I was taking original post to mean QBs beyond Brice and Huesman. Clark seems to discuss Brice with much praise. Clark mentioned Huesman on the last Nothing But App St podcast. Does anyone have feedback on the younger guys and who is where on depth chart?
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:03 am

We will soon learn where we are in terms of both QB physical abilities and the equally important QB intangibles. Lets Go Apps!

"Deciding on your team’s quarterback is one of the most critical decisions a coach has to make. The following are a few of the physical qualities you need to look for in the selection process.

Athletic Ability

A. Passing Ability (passes on time and accurate)
B. Running Ability (escapability – ability to extend plays)

Quick Hands and Feet

A. Must have the ability to execute all QB movements to be a complete player.
B. Be smooth and efficient – no wasted movement.

These are valuable physical qualities but there are equally important intangibles that the successful quarterbacks possess. They are part of their character. Who he is. Intangibles will be the factor that will often set your quarterbacks apart and clearly help you in establishing your quarterback depth chart.

The following are a few of the intangibles you need to look for in the selection process.

Leadership and Confidence

A. Must be consistent in all phases (drills, meetings, academics, etc.)
B. Be a coach/motivator on the field (lead by example)
C. Never, ever loses confidence in his abilities. He must believe!

Poise

A. Needs to think clearly – composure
B. Must be thick skinned!

Intelligence

A. Ability to learn the complete offense (football sense)
B. Must understand defenses (strengths/ weaknesses)
C. Make correct decisions mentally and physically
D. Study! Study! Student of the game!!

Some intangibles that a quarterback may possess are more important than others – being a strong leader might make up for a deficiency in another area. Coaches are always looking at the sum of qualities, not just one single area. For instance, no matter how amazing a quarterback’s arm strength and accuracy are, if he has no football sense – he’s probably not your guy."

Source: https://xando.secureorderingonline.com/ ... arterback/
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:19 am

Honestly, I don't think this is anything new at all. When Lamb was the QB, I didn't hear much about the backups. I read the occasional comments about Zac or others, but the fact is that none of us knew exactly what we had in the wings. Pretty much EVERYBODY was scared going into Happy Valley. That's why that game was so amazing!

I do hope that our young guys are developing. We need to have someone emerge for the future. I would love to see one of those young 'uns step up in a 4th quarter role this season, but frankly I hope that's all we see because anything else means something has gone horribly wrong.

Go Apps!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:58 am

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:54 am
Maybe I am wrong in the assumption, I was taking original post to mean QBs beyond Brice and Huesman. Clark seems to discuss Brice with much praise. Clark mentioned Huesman on the last Nothing But App St podcast. Does anyone have feedback on the younger guys and who is where on depth chart?
My assumption, based on what I see, is that Brice and Huesman are getting the majority of the reps. Understand that all we are getting are snippets of highlights in these videos, but I am encouraged with what I am seeing from Shuler. That’s not taking anything away from Tabscott. It is important to remember that Brice has two years of eligibility left, should he choose to use both.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:01 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:19 am
Honestly, I don't think this is anything new at all. When Lamb was the QB, I didn't hear much about the backups. I read the occasional comments about Zac or others, but the fact is that none of us knew exactly what we had in the wings. Pretty much EVERYBODY was scared going into Happy Valley. That's why that game was so amazing!

I do hope that our young guys are developing. We need to have someone emerge for the future. I would love to see one of those young 'uns step up in a 4th quarter role this season, but frankly I hope that's all we see because anything else means something has gone horribly wrong.

Go Apps!
Agree. And the backups who sound like they have a realistic shot to be the next starter are both true freshmen, so they're not where they will be next spring or next fall.

And, as 94 noted, it's at least possible Brice could return in '22.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:04 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:23 am
"Better" as in stronger or as in all-around (strength, touch, accuracy)? I'd buy the latter, no so sure about the former.

I do think Brice is a competent and willing runner, though. Just not the game breaker that Zac occasionally was.

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:11 am

I'm not sure if Clemson or Duke paint an accurate picture of what Brice is going to be here. Obviously that's two different levels of talent and we're wedged somewhere in between that. It'll be interesting for sure though.
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”