Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

AAC just lost their big 3

hotrod2001
School: Appalachian State

Re: AAC just lost their big 3

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:12 pm

PennywiseEsquire wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:36 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:09 pm
Captain Morgan wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:50 pm
Howard Street Hooligan wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:39 pm
Captain Morgan wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:13 pm
read some discussion yesterday that Luke Combs may have made a large donation to App to help facilitate a move to the AAC, but nothing confirmed yet that I know of.
where did you read that?
on the ECU board...just a poster, not a staff writer. The Ark St guy apparently has a lot of respect as someone who has an inside guy in the Sun Belt conference.

"According to an Arkansas State Insider, App State has been in contact with the AAC.

App States AD, Doug Gillin, stated that a large investment had been secured for "the program" from someone who "loved the direction that the program is heading". When asked about realignment, he said he was glad that the Big 12 had got members to remain a conference, because without those the Big 12 would've been dissolved most likely. He made no affirmation of the strength of the Sun Belt or comments of being committed to remaining in the Sun Belt, which is odd for him, I believe.

He then went on to talk about momentum in the program after App-ECU drew 37,000 and then Luke Combs (an App State Grad) had 32,000 in Boone on Saturday or Sunday. Apparently the Elon game has more than 30,000 tickets sold as well. In this talk, he went on to say that they had secured the investment in the program.

Which leads me to believe that App has been in contact with Aresco and that Gillin likely secured donations from Luke Combs. This bit is a supposition but the timing is too coincidental to not make sense.

I'm not sure if that means that App will be in the AAC, but I'm thinking it's possibly that an offer, or conditions of an offer, had been extended and that Gillin had to get funds raised to meet the conditions the AAC may have laid out. Again, suppositions, but like logic is sound.
I'm not sure what we would need $$ wise, and Luke is pretty big time, but usually these transformative type donations come from industry rather than entertainment. I mean we're probably not talking about a million or a few million $$$.

Maybe Eric Church ahs finally seen the error of his ways and the prodigal son has finally returned.

I’m with you on the amount argument, and because of that I’m a little doubtful Luke Combs made a single donation large enough to push us over the edge. Based on some quick googling, Luke’s total net worth is $5-6 million. I’d imagine that any funding commitment the American would have required (assuming there is such a requirement) would likely have exceeded $1 million and would probably look more like several million, maybe even 10 figures. But, even if we assume that it was just $1 million, then that’s still almost 20% of Luke’s net work. I don’t see him giving away such a large proportion of his total worth. And, this assumes the American only wanted one million. This starts to look even more unreasonable as that number rises. Luke may have given a donation and the American may have wanted a funding commitment, but I don’t think Luke alone paid the entry fee.
Maybe he just agreed to always have KBS as a stop on any upcoming tour and give the school a cut of the gate ;)

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:24 pm

Captain Morgan wrote:
Captain Morgan wrote:
read some discussion yesterday that Luke Combs may have made a large donation to App to help facilitate a move to the AAC, but nothing confirmed yet that I know of.
where did you read that?
on the ECU board...just a poster, not a staff writer. The Ark St guy apparently has a lot of respect as someone who has an inside guy in the Sun Belt conference.

"According to an Arkansas State Insider, App State has been in contact with the AAC.

App States AD, Doug Gillin, stated that a large investment had been secured for "the program" from someone who "loved the direction that the program is heading". When asked about realignment, he said he was glad that the Big 12 had got members to remain a conference, because without those the Big 12 would've been dissolved most likely. He made no affirmation of the strength of the Sun Belt or comments of being committed to remaining in the Sun Belt, which is odd for him, I believe.

He then went on to talk about momentum in the program after App-ECU drew 37,000 and then Luke Combs (an App State Grad) had 32,000 in Boone on Saturday or Sunday. Apparently the Elon game has more than 30,000 tickets sold as well. In this talk, he went on to say that they had secured the investment in the program.

Which leads me to believe that App has been in contact with Aresco and that Gillin likely secured donations from Luke Combs. This bit is a supposition but the timing is too coincidental to not make sense.

I'm not sure if that means that App will be in the AAC, but I'm thinking it's possibly that an offer, or conditions of an offer, had been extended and that Gillin had to get funds raised to meet the conditions the AAC may have laid out. Again, suppositions, but like logic is sound.
If that's in reference to Gillin's pregame interview that's not an accurate description. He, in fact, did reference the Sun Belt's position in the G5 world. While I have no doubt there have been contacts with the AAC, I would think the admin would prefer a Sun Belt with Marshall and a partner.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:23 am

Much of that “information” comes from ericsaid’s interpretation of DG’s pregame interview not official statements or inside information.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:53 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:23 am
Much of that “information” comes from ericsaid’s interpretation of DG’s pregame interview not official statements or inside information.
Agree. A lot of supposition being made based off what was actually said. I believe that we have some money from a generous donor, but to insinuate that the gift is enough to make a jump is absurd. We need at least $10 million extra per year. My guess is that this donation is earmarked to assist in the financing of the 105 project.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:51 am

Yeah the only interesting part is the ArkSt guy on the SBC board saying App is looking to leave the Sun Belt and engaged in conversations with the AAC.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:53 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:51 am
Yeah the only interesting part is the ArkSt guy on the SBC board saying App is looking to leave the Sun Belt and engaged in conversations with the AAC.
He's been listening to Ericsaid :D :lol:

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:16 pm

hapapp wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:24 pm
Captain Morgan wrote:
Captain Morgan wrote:
where did you read that?

If that's in reference to Gillin's pregame interview that's not an accurate description. He, in fact, did reference the Sun Belt's position in the G5 world. While I have no doubt there have been contacts with the AAC, I would think the admin would prefer a Sun Belt with Marshall and a partner.
where did he talk about this investment? I'd love to hear that part.

Captain Morgan

Unread post by Captain Morgan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:21 pm

I'd really like to know what ESPN is thinking. I'm for going to the AAC if they drop from paying 7 mill per team from the tv contract down to 5 or even million per year. That's a lot of money to work with.

I read we're only getting 500k from Sun Belt, but I think it was an unattributed post...anyone know?

Can the Sun Belt add enough to get a better tv deal? The regional rivalries is a strong factor, but ideally we find a place where we have that with Marshall and ECU, and a better tv deal.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:40 pm

The AAC is no longer an attractive option for Appalachian, either the ACC-SEC or a new regional archrival conference of Marshal, Liberty, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Coastal Carolina, ECU, A&T, Charlotte, and Appalachian. Anything less would be a compromise that would hurt Appalachian in the long term. If the ACC pulls out of Greensboro, the Archrivals Conference could use those offices for their headquarters.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:53 pm

JMappfan5 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:53 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:51 am
He's been listening to Ericsaid :D :lol:
I'll put my attention toward what GillinSaid.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:27 pm

Captain Morgan wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:21 pm
I'd really like to know what ESPN is thinking. I'm for going to the AAC if they drop from paying 7 mill per team from the tv contract down to 5 or even million per year. That's a lot of money to work with.

I read we're only getting 500k from Sun Belt, but I think it was an unattributed post...anyone know?

Can the Sun Belt add enough to get a better tv deal? The regional rivalries is a strong factor, but ideally we find a place where we have that with Marshall and ECU, and a better tv deal.
This is what I think is happening. ESPN is trying to make teams happy and at the same time....Steal....as many non ESPN brands as possible. The AAC teams and SunBelt teams need to plan for the AAC to be more wiped out and try and get as many teams as possible that we want and the west teams want. When the BIG 12 finishes what ever they are doing, then we could break off into the East league and the west league. AAC East joint Sunbelt East and AAC West join Sunbelt West and have two very happy leagues. Maybe with some scheduling alliances from ESPN.

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:19 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:40 pm
The AAC is no longer an attractive option for Appalachian, either the ACC-SEC or a new regional archrival conference of Marshal, Liberty, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Coastal Carolina, ECU, A&T, Charlotte, and Appalachian. Anything less would be a compromise that would hurt Appalachian in the long term. If the ACC pulls out of Greensboro, the Archrivals Conference could use those offices for their headquarters.
If the right schools are invited, it can be.

Also not trying to be harsh, but I don't see either the SEC or ACC ever inviting App. The AAC or the mythical east coast conference are likely the realistic ceilings.

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:19 pm

AppWyo wrote:
I'll be harsh. This is an absurd post. From the way its written all the way to the notion that we could land in the ACC or SEC.

That's all without discussing that the poster thinks its a better long term move for App to play Georgia State, A&T, and UNCC instead of SMU, Navy, ECU, Memphis, and USF.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:31 am

MtnMan09 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:19 pm
AppWyo wrote:
I'll be harsh. This is an absurd post. From the way its written all the way to the notion that we could land in the ACC or SEC.

That's all without discussing that the poster thinks its a better long term move for App to play Georgia State, A&T, and UNCC instead of SMU, Navy, ECU, Memphis, and USF.
It’s been eye opening how many App fans seem to be simply unaware of the hierarchy and perception in college football (ie saying the Sun Belt is a better collection of schools than the AAC). If App wanted to be in a regional conference it should have stayed in the FCS and SoCon. This fetishization of regionalizing does nothing but hurt App, unless the only goal is to have road games to drive to. That certainly isn’t a top goal of mine for App State football.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:59 am

If the AAC was as great as people would like you to believe they are, then Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF would not have left. Sorry, but the East Coast Conference already exists www.eccsports.org.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:05 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:31 am
MtnMan09 wrote:
AppWyo wrote:

It’s been eye opening how many App fans seem to be simply unaware of the hierarchy and perception in college football (ie saying the Sun Belt is a better collection of schools than the AAC). If App wanted to be in a regional conference it should have stayed in the FCS and SoCon. This fetishization of regionalizing does nothing but hurt App, unless the only goal is to have road games to drive to. That certainly isn’t a top goal of mine for App State football.
The regionlization of conferences is seen as a means of saving money and ensuring that when we host we draw decent crowds. In particular it cuts down on travel for our olympic sports. I realize for you that the only sport that matters is football and that our olympic sports are to be sacrificed if it furthers the interest of the football program. (Don't mean that as a pejorative statement but I believe I have seen you state that previously.) I'm sure there others who share that perspective. I don't want us to become a one trick pony.

Given the addition of Marshall and some other "regional" partners, would you prefer to stay in the Belt or are you an AAC first supporter? What do you see as the benefits of the latter, especially in comparison to the former?

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:09 am

AppWyo wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:59 am
If the AAC was as great as people would like you to believe they are, then Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF would not have left. Sorry, but the East Coast Conference already exists www.eccsports.org.
The B1G and SEC are probably the only 2 true destination conferences. Everything else has teams that would leave to a slightly better conference if offered.

The AAC in its current full strength is easily the top G5 conference. But why wouldn't the top teams leave for a P5 conference for more money, better bowl tie ins, brand, etc?

This is the same reason that MAC, CUSA, and SBC teams will consider if not jump at an AAC invite. It's weaker than before but still has some built-in advantages that could keep it at the top of the G5 pecking order if the right teams are brought in.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:27 am

hapapp wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:05 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:31 am
MtnMan09 wrote:
AppWyo wrote:

It’s been eye opening how many App fans seem to be simply unaware of the hierarchy and perception in college football (ie saying the Sun Belt is a better collection of schools than the AAC). If App wanted to be in a regional conference it should have stayed in the FCS and SoCon. This fetishization of regionalizing you does nothing but hurt App, unless the only goal is to have road games to drive to. That certainly isn’t a top goal of mine for App State football.
The regionlization of conferences is seen as a means of saving money and ensuring that when we host we draw decent crowds. In particular it cuts down on travel for our olympic sports. I realize for you that the only sport that matters is football and that our olympic sports are to be sacrificed if it furthers the interest of the football program. (Don't mean that as a pejorative statement but I believe I have seen you state that previously.) I'm sure there others who share that perspective. I don't want us to become a one trick pony.

Given the addition of Marshall and some other "regional" partners, would you prefer to stay in the Belt or are you an AAC first supporter? What do you see as the benefits of the latter, especially in comparison to the former?
I mean, look at what provides revenue to the athletic department. It’s football. Almost solely football. It should be the overwhelming priority. We’re already sending teams to San Marcos, we can swap that out for Dallas and be just fine.

I honestly don’t have strong feelings about SBC vs AAC, though I think it would be monumentally stupid to turn down an AAC invite if offered. No additions to the SBC are going to bump up the TV dollars the AAC will make. The AAC TV contract will be adjusted, probably down to around $3M per school. That’s still almost 10x what Sun Belt schools will receive, and no addition of Marshall, ODU, JMU is going to change that. Theres a lot of talk about the SBC being just as good as the remaining 8 AAC schools, that’s simply bologna. The remaining 8 schools average SP+ ranking over the last 5 years is better than the SBC average and is better than the MWC average the last 4 of 5 years. Simply put, even with UCF, Cincy, and UH leaving - the AAC will remain the best G5 (or whatever) conference. At the end of the day, I want to see App play the best competition week in and week out as possible and make as much money as possible. The AAC is simply the best avenue to achieve both goals, and quite frankly it really shouldn’t even be up for debate. The Athletic lays it out just as such in an article posted this morning.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:43 am

Also, a lot of crowing going on about the budgets of non-football programs at App. You don’t think an additional $3M (conservatively) will help grow those budgets? That’s before we even start talking about CFP payouts, NCAAT distributions, etc. I’m not saying going to the AAC is some magic wand that will fix our relatively small budgets but it definitely will grow those budgets. Sometimes it just feels like we miss the forest for the trees in talking about this scenario.

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:58 am

AppWyo wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:59 am
I honestly cannot tell if this is a troll, which may be his/her brilliance.

Why would a G5 team leave its conference to join a P5 conference? That's the question you are asking?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”