Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Marshall Game

Longrifle28
School: Appalachian State

Re: Marshall Game

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:47 am

Wow. Another classic game with Marshall. Glad we pulled it out even though we made mistakes.

Stadium looked great, and the crowd was pretty good for a Thursday night. Sounded pretty loud on TV.

Offense, other than the two turnovers and a penalty or two at inopportune times, was good. Two receivers with over 100 yards receiving, a back with 170 yards. QB play was good. In the first half when our defense needed a breather we didn't sustain drives, but in the end it was their defense that got gassed and they couldn't stop us. Peoples ground them down and then Noel hit the after burner. Nice contrast in styles and we saw last night how that can work on people. The two turnovers amounted to 10 points for Marshall and kept us from maintaining/extending the lead and having to play from behind.

Special Teams, has been a mixed bag this year and it cost us 7 points last night. The fake was a good one, the camera man didn't know who had the ball until he scored. However, I see much improvement with our extra point and field goal attempts. Staton has looked good. Virgil almost broke another kick off return.

Defense, held a team averaging 600 yards per game to less than 400. Held them to field goals on several drives which ended up being crucial. However, we did not get pressure rushing 4 all night and that put our db's on islands with some good receivers. No takeaways...

Marshall was a big and talented team. If their strength and conditioning and depth catches up with their style of play, they will be hard to stop. Their press coverage was good, but they almost always had their arms around our receivers on the backside. Not sure if this is a taught technic, but they could have been called for many more pass interference or defensive holding penalties. Chase made some really good tight throws considering the coverage.

We are a good team by being able to overcome mistakes. Moving forward if we can limit mistakes we can be a special team.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:38 am

My observations from the NEZ point of view. First time using my seats.
1. Great crowd for a Thursday night game. Students really turned out. The Hill may not have been that congested since Miami game. At the beginning of the game, they student was very loud. Not sure if ESPN was pumping in crowd noise or not, however, there were long periods of where it was somewhat client for a close football. The Marshall fans were louder than our fans at certain points of game. It seems the Student section (and the Hill if we get this kind of turn out) needs a lead cheerleader to keep things going, if not throughout the game, more than what it was. With that said, it was awesome to see that many students at a game.
2. The total yards for App was evenly balanced (283 yards each rushing and passing). Chase was 24-39 in passing. I actually thought that was pretty good given that their D played up. They never had a deep safety like we had all night long. This leads to "taking what D gives us per Clark"...this meant longer vertical passes...which means passing percentage will be lower. Yes, Chase had the one bad interception down the home sideline. That pass needs to be too sideline so either App WR or out of bounds. Throwing to the left shoulder is asking for a break-up or INT. Hopefully, he learns from that. Although, I loved Zac and was one of my favorite QBs (even with INTs a CCU last year), there is no comparison with pure pocket passer as Chase. From the NEZ and being able to see the angles and small openings he was putting the ball was very impressive. I would take Chase 8 days a week and twice on Sunday. I am not a App St. FB historian, however, not sure I have seen a QB at App like him. Hope he stays 2 years because we are going to need him next year.
3. Not sure my thoughts on D last night. Made stops or limited Marsha to FGs, however, it seemed that Marsha had WRs open all night. Wells missed some reads and their were some drops. The bend, but do not break philosophy is great overall, however, when play teams that primarily use short passing game to open up longer passing game, I would like to see our DBs press more at the line to get WRs off schedule or something...
4 Noel was the MVP. He had a couple of good blocks to give Chase more time on certain plays in additions to yards. I am curious...did coaching staff make decision provide more Noel because they saw something....or was Peoples limited after the fumble ...or was he injured....Not sure the answer on that one.
5. Team never gave up. Seems they have chemistry and like playing together. Love the balanced offense.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:46 am

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:38 am
My observations from the NEZ point of view. First time using my seats.
1. Great crowd for a Thursday night game. Students really turned out. The Hill may not have been that congested since Miami game. At the beginning of the game, they student was very loud. Not sure if ESPN was pumping in crowd noise or not, however, there were long periods of where it was somewhat client for a close football. The Marshall fans were louder than our fans at certain points of game. It seems the Student section (and the Hill if we get this kind of turn out) needs a lead cheerleader to keep things going, if not throughout the game, more than what it was. With that said, it was awesome to see that many students at a game.
2. The total yards for App was evenly balanced (283 yards each rushing and passing). Chase was 24-39 in passing. I actually thought that was pretty good given that their D played up. They never had a deep safety like we had all night long. This leads to "taking what D gives us per Clark"...this meant longer vertical passes...which means passing percentage will be lower. Yes, Chase had the one bad interception down the home sideline. That pass needs to be too sideline so either App WR or out of bounds. Throwing to the left shoulder is asking for a break-up or INT. Hopefully, he learns from that. Although, I loved Zac and was one of my favorite QBs (even with INTs a CCU last year), there is no comparison with pure pocket passer as Chase. From the NEZ and being able to see the angles and small openings he was putting the ball was very impressive. I would take Chase 8 days a week and twice on Sunday. I am not a App St. FB historian, however, not sure I have seen a QB at App like him. Hope he stays 2 years because we are going to need him next year.
3. Not sure my thoughts on D last night. Made stops or limited Marsha to FGs, however, it seemed that Marsha had WRs open all night. Wells missed some reads and their were some drops. The bend, but do not break philosophy is great overall, however, when play teams that primarily use short passing game to open up longer passing game, I would like to see our DBs press more at the line to get WRs off schedule or something...
4 Noel was the MVP. He had a couple of good blocks to give Chase more time on certain plays in additions to yards. I am curious...did coaching staff make decision provide more Noel because they saw something....or was Peoples limited after the fumble ...or was he injured....Not sure the answer on that one.
5. Team never gave up. Seems they have chemistry and like playing together. Love the balanced offense.
I agree with most of this except the "bad interception" part. I put that more on Sutton. He's gotta stay on his feet and fight more for that ball. There was contact and it looked to me like he kind of gave up on it expecting to get the PI call. With no safety help, and a WR1 in a 1-1 matchup against a smaller DB, he's gotta be able to go up and high point that football.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:47 am

I liked it better when the tv watchers had their chat room to make comments. When I’m at the game I see a different view and don’t overreact then have to retract statements.
Bring Your A Game!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:48 am

the announcers said Peoples was on the sideline without his helmet, which they assumed meant he wasn't going back in - nothing official
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:16 am

The announcers did ok except with that last drive. They beat to death that “score to fast” and “let us score “ angle. They first brought it up when we were on our 30ish yard line. Said it several times during the drive. Great play by Noel to fall down short of the goal line. When the guy said that Marshall should have picked Noel up and placed him in the endzone I did a double take. WTH was that? I’m not sure if that is allowed- LOL!

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:41 am

huskie3 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:47 am
I liked it better when the tv watchers had their chat room to make comments. When I’m at the game I see a different view and don’t overreact then have to retract statements.
This year, I've made a decision to put my phone down during the game. It's much more enjoyable to actually watch what happens and look at the game in a big picture way as opposed to trying to type something after each play and living and dying on each play. Definitely better than having to retract something stupid.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:46 am

Longrifle28 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:41 am
huskie3 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:47 am
This year, I've made a decision to put my phone down during the game. It's much more enjoyable to actually watch what happens and look at the game in a big picture way as opposed to trying to type something after each play and living and dying on each play. Definitely better than having to retract something stupid.
I'm right there with you. I don't even open the Cabin during the game, I just try and enjoy the game
FREQS AND GEEKS!

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:47 am

HighPointApp wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:18 am
WataugaMan wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:12 pm
CheckYosef94 wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:59 pm
ah59396 wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:29 pm
LKN_Lawyer wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:26 pm

What’s the point in this post? Didn’t realize Zac Thomas was on the bench because of Chase Brice.
Agreed. Incredibly petty. Childlike post.
Some people just like to go after college kids. I think it makes them feel better about themselves to go after someone else.
Really? Not going after anyone, just stating an opinion. While you're looking into your crystal ball what else do you see??
Your opinions during games don’t matter.

Edit: I did appreciate you saying you over reacted
I'll continue to state my opinion(s) regardless of what you believe. And, you're entitled to state your opinion as well, during games or after. We're all entitled to state our opinion(s), even if it "matters" or not. In the mean time, I couldn't care less of what you do or do not appreciate.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:03 pm

All I can say is: Whew!!! I posted TWICE, with GREAT confidence that would would cover the spread. I will point out that, had we taken the points at the end, we technically WOULD have covered, but I have to say that I wasn't expecting it to be that tough. This is why I do not make predictions on score! Full credit to Marshall for playing a very tough game. I was really afraid that the pressure would get into Chase's head and those 3rd quarter series would continue. Can't say how proud I am of that young man for the grit he showed last night! I'm very happy that he is a Mountaineer....along with Hennigan, Sutton, Virgil, M. Williams, Peoples, Noel, etc. etc. etc. You get the idea! Include Coach Clark on that list too!

It's GREAT TO BE A MOUNTAINEER!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:49 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:03 pm
All I can say is: Whew!!! I posted TWICE, with GREAT confidence that would would cover the spread. I will point out that, had we taken the points at the end, we technically WOULD have covered, but I have to say that I wasn't expecting it to be that tough. This is why I do not make predictions on score! Full credit to Marshall for playing a very tough game. I was really afraid that the pressure would get into Chase's head and those 3rd quarter series would continue. Can't say how proud I am of that young man for the grit he showed last night! I'm very happy that he is a Mountaineer....along with Hennigan, Sutton, Virgil, M. Williams, Peoples, Noel, etc. etc. etc. You get the idea! Include Coach Clark on that list too!

Over the last quarter and the drive that started the latter part of the third, Chase was 6-6 for 121, including an absolute dime to Sutton in the end zone.

On a side note, the much maligned Chandler Staton is a cool 7 for 7 in FG kicks this year.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:55 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:49 pm
Yosef84 wrote:

Over the last quarter and the drive that started the latter part of the third, Chase was 6-6 for 121, including an absolute dime to Sutton in the end zone.

On a side note, the much maligned Chandler Staton is a cool 7 for 7 in FG kicks this year.
The 4th quarter was classic App Football! I loved it! Chase is the real deal. I'm also proud of Staton. I hated to see him "struggle" last year and have always pulled for him. My family is from Gainesville, Georgia (not me personally but both parents) so I have to pull for the "hometown" boy.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:59 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:55 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:49 pm
Yosef84 wrote:

The 4th quarter was classic App Football! I loved it! Chase is the real deal. I'm also proud of Staton. I hated to see him "struggle" last year and have always pulled for him. My family is from Gainesville, Georgia (not me personally but both parents) so I have to pull for the "hometown" boy.
Chase is the best QB that we have had in a long time. Physically at least. Not to take anything away from CB and the guys, but Marshall was just gassed. They played 93 snaps on Saturday and 94 just five days later. They wore down toward the end and we took advantage.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:53 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
CheckYosef94 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
LKN_Lawyer wrote:
WataugaMan wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:22 pm
Not read this thread. Just going to state, Zak Thomas is a much better QB than Brice, fact!!
What’s the point in this post? Didn’t realize Zac Thomas was on the bench because of Chase Brice.
Some people just like to go after college kids. I think it makes them feel better about themselves to go after someone else.
Really? Not going after anyone, just stating an opinion. While you're looking into your crystal ball what else do you see??
Opinion? You stated it was a fact. :lol:

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:54 pm

It's like they say, my friends:

It ain't how you start...It's how you finish.

This squad has GRIT and we should be proud!

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:19 pm

Am I the only person who thinks that Marshall's D line is (or at least was last night) much better than Miami's?

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:23 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:19 pm
Am I the only person who thinks that Marshall's D line is (or at least was last night) much better than Miami's?
Last night, I was thinking. As weird as it sounds, by the end of the season Miami may end up being the 3rd or 4th best team we play all season.

GO APPS!!

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:53 pm

TheMoody1 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:53 pm
WataugaMan wrote:
CheckYosef94 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
LKN_Lawyer wrote:

Watched the game again, I still stand by my opinion, and that's a fact. :)

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:03 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:53 pm
TheMoody1 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:53 pm
WataugaMan wrote:
CheckYosef94 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

Watched the game again, I still stand by my opinion, and that's a fact. :)
What would Thomas have done better? Besides erratic accuracy and the occasion scramble?

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:09 pm

I believe our OC last season contributed a lot to ZT's drop off. Prior to last season, ZT was a more accurate passer, example Penn State game. Don't take me wrong, I'm happy to have CB and he should be very successful at App. Under the direction of the same OC, I feel ZT could be just as successful, that's all I'm saying.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”