Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Marshall Game

appstatealum
School: Appalachian State

Re: Marshall Game

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:46 pm

The officials were bad in multiple areas and not biased to anyone. I'd argue that the multiple PI calls they missed were a bigger deal than anything else
The Appalachian State

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:13 am

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:59 am
proasu89 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:01 am
appstatealum wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:37 pm
App_in_Maiden wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:03 pm
MVP-Nate Noel
Nate was huge in the second half, but they were letting him score (well, trying to). Sutton was the MVP in my mind.
Lots of folks to choose from for the game MVP, and Sutton is a good choice. But the letting him score comment was absurd. Were they letting him score with 4 mins on the clock and backed up against our own endzone? We’re on our 10 yard line and he broke a tackle in the backfield to get a first down. Was stopped for a loss on one play and got another first down the next play deep in our end.
No. Let me clarify. Noel was incredible to open that drive and really put the dagger in them with those early off tackle runs. But when he got to that midfield position, from my perspective at the Game, you could tell their defense was letting up in hopes of a quick score. I've seen it done every Saturday and Sunday, and even done it myself coaching 7 on 7, and it's a good gameplan. The last 2 runs he broke were against that defense. Noel has been one of my favorites since late last year. He runs hard and with authority and love his change of pace to People's. To me, Corey was gutting out routes on that blanket coverage and helped us significantly with pass interferences he drew and then the absolutely nasty snag in the corner over top the Marshall defender. Those were the momentum shifters for me.
Thanks for all those words😂. Yes, even us football novices have seen a team let someone score in order to get the ball back.👍

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:19 am

The officials were Conf USA officials. I thought all in all they were pretty good. Ever been to a game that was perfectly ref’d? If you ever feel a call cost us a game ( in the replay era) I’ll show you 10 missed assignments on offense and defense. Doesn’t mean we can’t boo a bad call just move on.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:23 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:50 pm
Marshall rolled up over 600 yards of offense against ECU and a couple bad breaks cost them. We better be ready.
Marshall not helping our SOS today, not getting it done at Middle finger Tennessee.
BLACK SATURDAY

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:36 pm

Played most of that game in a deluge , hard to watch except for the comedic value.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:51 am

Yeah, I cringed when I saw this loss by Marshall....especially after Charlotte beat MTSU. Marshall turned it over 6 times I believe from what I read. Can't win like that.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:49 am

Honestly, none of the teams we have played this year have looked any good. We always tend to think teams we beat are good but in reality we haven't played a good team all year and that includes Miami. We just need to play our brand of football and take care of what we can control and we should have a good season. But if we continue to play to our opponents level, it might lead to another loss.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:24 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:49 am
Honestly, none of the teams we have played this year have looked any good. We always tend to think teams we beat are good but in reality we haven't played a good team all year and that includes Miami. We just need to play our brand of football and take care of what we can control and we should have a good season. But if we continue to play to our opponents level, it might lead to another loss.
Miami is the only team we've played that is better than us so far. :roll:
BLACK SATURDAY

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:38 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:24 pm
t4pizza wrote:
I'm not downplaying the Miami team that beat us. Miami with a healthy King at QB is a different team than the one that has been getting beat the last few weeks
The Appalachian State

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:33 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:51 am
Yeah, I cringed when I saw this loss by Marshall....especially after Charlotte beat MTSU. Marshall turned it over 6 times I believe from what I read. Can't win like that.
But, if you are going to make that comparison, Georgia State handled Charlotte with ease, and we crushed Georgia State. Marshall should still be at the top of their division, if they can figure out how to finish games.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:33 am

Marshall has averaged multiple turnovers (3) in every game this year except in the game against App (0).

Navy - 3
NCCU - 3
ECU - 3
MTSU - 6

The Marshall O just played out of their minds against App considering they have turned it over a minimum of 3 times per game. 15 total turnovers so far this season and App's D couldn't manage to get a single take away.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:08 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:24 pm
t4pizza wrote:
They were only better on the scoreboard. We had them beat. We just didn't finish them. We've gotta stop being the shoulda, woulda, coulda team, and start closing out these big opportunity games.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:21 am

moonshine wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:33 am
Marshall has averaged multiple turnovers (3) in every game this year except in the game against App (0).

Navy - 3
NCCU - 3
ECU - 3
MTSU - 6

The Marshall O just played out of their minds against App considering they have turned it over a minimum of 3 times per game. 15 total turnovers so far this season and App's D couldn't manage to get a single take away.
Clearly these numbers are facts. Then you question why, were they exceptionally UP for App, did we not play good enough Defense? I do know that watching game they played good in many ways. I would have liked for us to have done some things a little differently but that it normal for most games. I will say, when you see a team turnover ball 6 times, they can't be playing focused football. Did NCCU "force" turnovers against Marshall? That is hard to believe unless Marshall was just not focused. Marshall is a team that has much potential but still lacks in CONSISTENT performance. When they play well they are a formidable opponent but they are inconsistent. Also as the season progresses some teams that aren't meeting their goals wane while others find their strength.

At this point, you have to evaluate the game we played and how we performed against the competition on that night. We did some things good and some things not so good but our margin of error was enough to win. The team needs to improve going forward and not get caught up in things they can't control.

On upside, I do believe these types of games harden you and prepare you for how to close out a close game.

This is the stuff that drives fans crazy but the team has to learn and look forward and move on.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:45 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:33 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:51 am
But, if you are going to make that comparison, Georgia State handled Charlotte with ease, and we crushed Georgia State. Marshall should still be at the top of their division, if they can figure out how to finish games.
I completely agree. I disagree with the statements above that we haven't played a good team. Marshall has lost two games because of sloppy play but they didn't play that way against us. They have excellent athletes and I still think that was a good win. My comment above was more about the perception. I've said all along that I thought ECU was better than many wanted to admit and so far they seem to be showing that. I think they still have a shot at being bowl eligible...not great but progress.

Marshall still has a shot at winning CUSA. I hope they get that done this year.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:46 pm

Marshall has had a game with excessive turnovers except when they played us. Why can’t we force turnovers?

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:50 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:46 pm
Marshall has had a game with excessive turnovers except when they played us. Why can’t we force turnovers?
We seem to be lagging in the forced turnover facet of our games so far.
BLACK SATURDAY

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:52 pm

yosef69 wrote:
My long winded response above was really asking, "Did Marshall play sloppy with ball handling in the other games or did all those other teams FORCE turnovers and we didn't?"

You have to watch all the games to know, I don't know answer but just asking if anyone else knows.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:29 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:52 pm
yosef69 wrote:
My long winded response above was really asking, "Did Marshall play sloppy with ball handling in the other games or did all those other teams FORCE turnovers and we didn't?"

You have to watch all the games to know, I don't know answer but just asking if anyone else knows.
A third alternative is, was Marshall more focused on our game (as a rivalry game) and simply played better against us than they did against teams that they thought would be easy. It could be a lack of discipline / focus on their part.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”