Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

tAPPedInSports Marshall Preview

GastonApp09
School: Appalachian State

tAPPedInSports Marshall Preview

Unread post by GastonApp09 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:51 pm

Does history repeat itself, or do the Mountaineers reclaim their rightful place in the rivalry? Find out below.

https://tappedinsports.net/2021/09/foot ... l-preview/
Body stuck in Gaston County...heart stuck in Boone! Go Apps!

Black Saturday

Re: tAPPedInSports Marshall Preview

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:19 pm

Nice write up. You can age the rivalry back to 1987, when Marshall kept APP from going to the Pocatello Idaho “Potato Bowl” - National Championship game by beating us in the semifinal game in Boone. Back in those days it was customary for fans to throw fruit like oranges - Orange Bowl and tangerines -Tangerine Bowl on the field for the bowl scouts watching to “invite “ their school to the bowl game. Their weren’t 40 bowls then. Anyway APP students threw potatoes on the field because we, the top seed, knew we were going to win and go to Potato country and play for the national championship. The wrong team won that day.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_NC ... all_season

Maybe APP gets their 1st Natty nearly 20 years earlier if not for Marshall.
BLACK SATURDAY

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:48 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:19 pm
Nice write up. You can age the rivalry back to 1987, when Marshall kept APP from going to the Pocatello Idaho “Potato Bowl” - National Championship game by beating us in the semifinal game in Boone. Back in those days it was customary for fans to throw fruit like oranges - Orange Bowl and tangerines -Tangerine Bowl on the field for the bowl scouts watching to “invite “ their school to the bowl game. Their weren’t 40 bowls then. Anyway APP students threw potatoes on the field because we, the top seed, knew we were going to win and go to Potato country and play for the national championship. The wrong team won that day.

I remember this game vividly! Our chant was “Here we go to Idaho “ . Marshall brought their band in front of the home side . We proceeded to throw whole Russet potatoes raining on them. My thought at the time was that this could hurt someone lol

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:26 am

Black Saturday wrote:

Yep, I was one of those student throwing potatoes. Remember like it was yesterday. We were planning on driving/flying to Pocatello for the game.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:29 am

There have been some classic games between Marshall and App over the years.

My favorite was in 1994 when #1 Jim Donnan led Marshall came to Boone and App defeated them in a rainy Kidd Brewer stadium. Scott Satterfield was QB, Shawn Elliot was DE and Dexter Coakley was linebacker. My son was small and we walked down from the upper lot and watched from the hill. It was hard hitting, snot bubbling game. App dethroned them.

Hope we can continue to schedule ECU and Marshall in the future.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:21 am

AppState89 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:26 am
Black Saturday wrote:

Yep, I was one of those student throwing potatoes. Remember like it was yesterday. We were planning on driving/flying to Pocatello for the game.
Yep, me too. We had already planned out who was driving and for how long.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”