Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Post-Marshall Comments/Thoughts

AtlAppMan
School: Appalachian State

Post-Marshall Comments/Thoughts

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:52 am

I thought I would start a fresh thread just for post game thoughts.

In game I was frustrated with our D not putting pressure, we made some miscues on offense at times, definitely two turnovers hurt.

Post game - In retrospect, Marshall is a very good football team. We had two turnovers and still overcame them. Dale played D to try to limit a powerful offense from scoring a lot of touchdowns, we accomplished that. They were significantly below their scoring and yardage averages. They called/executed a great KO return play that hurt us.

Our offense moved the ball well, their D can be tough, they applied pressure, Brice wasn't perfect but kept coming at them and didn't back down, made plays when he needed to. Our two headed running back combined paid off later in game.

Refs didn't do us any favors. Great fan turnout on Thursday!!! Proud of App Nation on national TV.

All in all, we put up a lot of yards, played a very good game, not perfect, but had enough margin of error to close the deal. Big time closing out of game at end to shut door.

I am very proud of our team for a very tough win.

Rick83

Re: Post-Marshall Comments/Thoughts

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:57 am

LOVED THE CROWD AND THE STUDENTS BROUGHT THE ENERGY!! The crowd looked great on national TV and this is the kind of game that rivalries are made of. Not sure we've seen the full potential of this team yet...

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 am

I’ve got a lot of memories in KBS. This one was an instant classic. The crowd was awesome, the student turnout and energy was AMAZING. That game felt like The Rock from a few years ago. Those that complained about the Family Day crowd saw the total opposite last night.

The game was nerve-racking and filled with so many emotional highs and lows. The Men in Black have some serious GRIT! Love this team and their heart. I truly think they emulate their head coach. Loved seeing Coach Clark’s emotion all game long, and especially during the locker room celebration.

App Nation and our beloved Mountaineers put on a show for the world to see.

In short, WHAT. A. NIGHT.

GO APPS!!

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:27 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:52 am
I thought I would start a fresh thread just for post game thoughts.

In game I was frustrated with our D not putting pressure, we made some miscues on offense at times, definitely two turnovers hurt.

Post game - In retrospect, Marshall is a very good football team. We had two turnovers and still overcame them. Dale played D to try to limit a powerful offense from scoring a lot of touchdowns, we accomplished that. They were significantly below their scoring and yardage averages. They called/executed a great KO return play that hurt us.

Our offense moved the ball well, their D can be tough, they applied pressure, Brice wasn't perfect but kept coming at them and didn't back down, made plays when he needed to. Our two headed running back combined paid off later in game.

Refs didn't do us any favors. Great fan turnout on Thursday!!! Proud of App Nation on national TV.

All in all, we put up a lot of yards, played a very good game, not perfect, but had enough margin of error to close the deal. Big time closing out of game at end to shut door.

I am very proud of our team for a very tough win.
I think we were the beneficiaries of some calls and no calls as well. I thought the refs did a pretty good job.

I agree with all of your points. Marshall is also better than I gave them credit for before the game.

Brice got hit a bunch and hung in there. I don't think the pick was really his fault. We overcame some bad stretches and got the W. What a luxury it is to have 2 really dynamic RB's.

I was so pumped with the last few 1st downs Noel got us. Its always nice to end a close game with a knee.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:43 am

Marshall is definitely better than I thought. I thought we’d win by at least two TDs. However, I’m not disappointed at all.

How many times have people on this site complained about 2 minute drill stuff to end a half? Last night the coaches managed the ending of both halves almost perfectly.

Great game. Worth being tired and groggy at work all day today.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:50 am

It was a great game. Sure I wanted to beat them by more but we got the W and that is all that matters. This team made plenty of mistakes and yet found a way to overcome them and win the game. That says a lot about the makeup of our team. The fans looked great on tv and I could clearly hear the App - State cheer in the 4th on tv. Brice was getting harrassed all night long but still hung in there and made plays both with his arm and his legs. The guy isn't the fastest runner in the world but he picked up enough yardage to help move the sticks. Marshall has good lines on both sides of the ball but we were able to wear them down as the game went on and this paid dividends in the 4th quarter. The tired defensive front was no match for Nate's fresh legs and speed and he tore them apart. So proud of our team on a great win.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:53 am

Glad this front page news/mockery turned out not to be the difference in the game, but it sure thought it changed the complexion of it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ma ... hp&pc=U531

Marshall fell victim to new coaching woes of trying to get in a see who could wiz the farthest, however wizzing the most won in the end. 100 plays?! They beat hell out of us with big plays, but I thought it was a great win for the team, and a really good coaching job by our staff. We wore them out and Noel being fresh was clearly made difference. Brice had a good game as well, at times putting the ball where it was his receiver getting the ball or no one or throwing it away which appeared he was off. Some of you have complained about Chase, but his skill was a huge reason we won. Defense did well, holding a big play under their usual. Not sure their big time receiver Gabbage? did anything? I'll take this win all day long.

For sakes kickoff into the end zone, or hold student tryouts to find some one who can, damn tired of the 35-100yd returns when the opponents can start on their 25 yard line without drama.
BLACK SATURDAY

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:55 am

I try not to be one to call out players by name but one of our defensive linemen just looks slower and not in the best shape- not causing the same level of pressure as in past seasons. Linebacker crew is ferocious. Pointed out on the other game thread that I can see us with a 4,000 yard QB, 2 1,000 yard rushers and possibly 2 1,000 yard receivers. What are we going to do with Harrington (not enough touches to go around).

Not looking ahead but that Coastal game is going to be epic. We might break the attendance record.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:18 am

I like many have been sick and tired of not kicking through the end zone on kick-offs for 20 plus years. What is the F'n deal with this mentality of kickoffs to the 0-10 Yd line at App?? :evil:

How many runbacks for TDS or long runbacks do we need to surrender, how many games have do we need to lose before we stop? Why does it persist after all the times (and all the different coaches) it has burned us, and once again last night. :roll: Over this same Time period do you know how many points or long runbacks that led to points momentum shifts have happened when we did kick it through? Zero, nada, zip, zilch. I'm so done can you tell. :evil:

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:19 am

Clark now has a signature win.
38 first downs is insane.
We give up big plays, but we play really strong defense inside the 30
We make more mistakes than the other team in every game. If we clean up the execution, we”ll reach our potential
It is really strange that we do not force turnovers defensively. (ECU muffed punt on special teams, Roof’s INT should have probably been an Elon TD). Defensively, we have really only forced one TD in 4 games
Clutch kicking by Staton!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:21 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:53 am
Glad this front page news/mockery turned out not to be the difference in the game, but it sure thought it changed the complexion of it.

Marshall fell victim to new coaching woes of trying to get in a see who could wiz the farthest, however wizzing the most won in the end. 100 plays?! They beat hell out of us with big plays, but I thought it was a great win for the team, and a really good coaching job by our staff. We wore them out and Noel being fresh was clearly made difference. Brice had a good game as well, at times putting the ball where it was his receiver getting the ball or no one or throwing it away which appeared he was off. Some of you have complained about Chase, but his skill was a huge reason we won. Defense did well, holding a big play under their usual. Not sure their big time receiver Gabbage? did anything? I'll take this win all day long.

For sakes kickoff into the end zone, or hold student tryouts to find some one who can, damn tired of the 35-100yd returns when the opponents can start on their 25 yard line without drama.
I would like to make a comment or two on the kickoff comment. You are entitled to your opinion but some things that should be considered on kickoffs.

1) It isn’t as easy as running up and kicking it as hard as you can. There are fundamentals and technique involved. He will get better. I would like to stand on the tee box and pipe a 300 yard drive down the middle of the fairway every time.

2) Hughes is a weapon but if he could do it every time, he wouldn’t be here at App.

3) The play call isn’t always to kick it deep.

Just food for thought.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:32 am

Articles from WVA news sources - the 3rd one is troubling- anyone witness this??? - this can't happen with our fans ---
https://wvmetronews.com/2021/09/24/mars ... ate-31-30/

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports/ma ... f6c50.html

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/ ... 17161.html
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:35 am

If you haven't watched Shawn's post game you need to.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Yosef1986

Unread post by Yosef1986 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:43 am

There is a video out on the fans and the exit tunnel - it was only a few - however, it looks bad. All should be aware of iPhones etc.... When this get's out - no way it looks good.

JPatH3292

Unread post by JPatH3292 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:43 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:32 am
Articles from WVA news sources - the 3rd one is troubling- anyone witness this??? - this can't happen with our fans ---

Not saying its okay what was said but this was bound to happen when you have the away team walking past the student section and across the concourse to get to the locker room

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:43 am

WVAPPeer wrote:

So that article is poorly written, kept referring to how that's all anyone is talking about but it's the only place I've seen it. There's almost always a "police presence" for the away team as they are trying to leave, especially after an emotional game. Our fans(students) said "mean" things to them? Sure, that is what happens when you play a game like that in an environment like that; the Rock should be a hostile environment to play in. As for the "F Marshall" chant I love it! Let's not act like there is any love lost between these programs, let's not act like the same wasn't being said in the late 80s through the 90s. They don't like us, we don't like them; thems the facts that's why it's such an emotional game (which more than lived up to the hype). In summary I have no beef with anything that was "reported" here and I would fully expect the same treatment in Huntington.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:49 am

I've seen it elsewhere.

It's a bad look. Need to keep people/students away from that tunnel if that's going to happen. I don't think we appreciate that when it's done to us. Doesn't make it right to do it to others.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:49 am

NavyApp wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:43 am
WVAPPeer wrote:

So that article is poorly written, kept referring to how that's all anyone is talking about but it's the only place I've seen it. There's almost always a "police presence" for the away team as they are trying to leave, especially after an emotional game. Our fans(students) said "mean" things to them? Sure, that is what happens when you play a game like that in an environment like that; the Rock should be a hostile environment to play in. As for the "F Marshall" chant I love it! Let's not act like there is any love lost between these programs, let's not act like the same wasn't being said in the late 80s through the 90s. They don't like us, we don't like them; thems the facts that's why it's such an emotional game (which more than lived up to the hype). In summary I have no beef with anything that was "reported" here and I would fully expect the same treatment in Huntington.
Agree. When I was in undergrad at UNCW, ECU was still in the CAA. For 40 minutes. I mean nonstop, we yelled Go To Hail Pirates...hope they are not still in therapy over that🤣
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am

WVAPPeer wrote:

Exactly, being gracious on victory is lost on many. That wall needs to be raised three feet by next week, or we will have plywood barriers of our own installed. :oops: :oops: :oops:

The the story is not he best writing but tweeted video of this was bad and said it all.
Last edited by GreatAppSt on Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:21 am
Black Saturday wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:53 am

I would like to make a comment or two on the kickoff comment. You are entitled to your opinion but some things that should be considered on kickoffs.

1) It isn’t as easy as running up and kicking it as hard as you can. There are fundamentals and technique involved. He will get better. I would like to stand on the tee box and pipe a 300 yard drive down the middle of the fairway every time.

2) Hughes is a weapon but if he could do it every time, he wouldn’t be here at App.

3) The play call isn’t always to kick it deep.

Just food for thought.
We start on defense outside the 25+ more often than not. A facet we need to polish. What is wrong with our coverage?
BLACK SATURDAY

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”