Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Post-Marshall Comments/Thoughts

GreatAppSt
School: Appalachian State

Re: Post-Marshall Comments/Thoughts

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:22 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:21 am

1) It isn’t as easy as running up and kicking it as hard as you can. There are fundamentals and technique involved. He will get better. I would like to stand on the tee box and pipe a 300 yard drive down the middle of the fairway every time.
Really, who knew that. Do you believe a Division 1 caliber kicker using all his learned and practiced "fundamentals and techniques" can't as a matter of routine (unless facing a substantial head wind) put the ball to the very back or out of the end zone if the coach said to do it? :roll:

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:34 pm

It's a shame that this may end up being what is discussed after a great game. Between this and the tripping personal foul there are some things that could be improved.

We can try to polish this turd all you want to, but at the end of the day it's still a turd and it stinks....
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:43 pm

GreatAppSt wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:22 pm
AppSt94 wrote:

1) It isn’t as easy as running up and kicking it as hard as you can. There are fundamentals and technique involved. He will get better. I would like to stand on the tee box and pipe a 300 yard drive down the middle of the fairway every time.
Really, who knew that. Do you believe a Division 1 caliber kicker using all his learned and practiced "fundamentals and techniques" can't as a matter of routine (unless facing a substantial head wind) put the ball to the very back or out of the end zone if the coach said to do it? :roll:
As an 18 yo Freshman, I think that he is still learning consistency. But here is a fun fact for you. Hughes has kicked off 21 times this year. His average kick travels 62.3 yds. With 10 being returned an average of 18 yards per return. So by my math, that means that a kick fielded at the 3, and returned 18 yards yields a starting position of the 21. 4 yards less than starting at the 25 for touchbacks. Seems that holistically, our numbers don’t fit your narrative. https://www.footballdb.com/college-foot ... =11&mode=O

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:50 pm

I wish I could have been there to feel that atmosphere. Halloween against the ankle biters around 07 or 08 is about where I put how awesome it was to win that game with that atmosphere.

As far as the tunnel goes I've wished since we built it that it was covered all the way to the field level so that players in general could come out of a true tunnel. I think it would look more appealing and it would provide a bit more safety in general for things not falling from the stands or thrown from the stands to the people walking through. It's another opportunity to put a big block A somewhere.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:55 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:43 pm
GreatAppSt wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

As an 18 yo Freshman, I think that he is still learning consistency. But here is a fun fact for you. Hughes has kicked off 21 times this year. His average kick travels 62.3 yds. With 10 being returned an average of 18 yards per return. So by my math, that means that a kick fielded at the 3, and returned 18 yards yields a starting position of the 21. 4 yards less than starting at the 25 for touchbacks. Seems that holistically, our numbers don’t fit your narrative. https://www.footballdb.com/college-foot ... =11&mode=O
O TD in that column, not current? does it include the yards we were scorched for last night?

The 40 and the 90 yard TD returns stand out.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:02 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:55 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
GreatAppSt wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

O TD in that column, not current? does it include the yards we were scorched for last night?

No it is not and we can circle back to it next week if you want. Keep pounding that drum man. I mean, this isn’t a new problem so maybe one day, you will get what you want.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:13 pm

Longrifle28 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:49 am
I've seen it elsewhere.

It's a bad look. Need to keep people/students away from that tunnel if that's going to happen. I don't think we appreciate that when it's done to us. Doesn't make it right to do it to others.
Exactly. We can’t blast Ga Southern for having fans behave this way and then turn a blind eye when some of our folks behave this way.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:54 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:02 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:55 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
GreatAppSt wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

No it is not and we can circle back to it next week if you want. Keep pounding that drum man. I mean, this isn’t a new problem so maybe one day, you will get what you want.
Just hope the KOR problem is addressed and glad the long return didn't happen to end up being the biggest play of the game.
BLACK SATURDAY

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:55 pm

hapapp wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:13 pm
Longrifle28 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:49 am
I've seen it elsewhere.

It's a bad look. Need to keep people/students away from that tunnel if that's going to happen. I don't think we appreciate that when it's done to us. Doesn't make it right to do it to others.
Exactly. We can’t blast Ga Southern for having fans behave this way and then turn a blind eye when some of our folks behave this way.
Glad they weren't throwing beer or batteries
BLACK SATURDAY

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:57 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:26 am
This “scandal” says more about confirmation bias and the way we share information in the 21st century without vetting it than it does our students. Even in this thread I can tell many of you haven’t seen the video.

Here’s the video and I hope everyone actually watches it.

There isn’t a middle finger, no “kill yourself,” no talk of their mothers. Just a faint F bomb.

Now here’s the source: a salty Marshall fan who channeled her butt-hurt into a moral high ground.

If you guys have Instagram I invite you to watch her Instagram story (it will expire in 24 hours). She was having a great time before her team lost. https://www.instagram.com/stories/emiln ... =copy_link

Here’s what she tweeted mid-forth quarter. Getting saltier and saltier as the game went on.

I understand our fans’ inclination to rebuke any and all purported shitty App fan behavior, but right now all we’re doing is contributing to a hoax.
I mean, you shared a video that is far away from the bulk of the crowd lined up along the wall. I'm not contributing to the hoax, but you're also not providing a full picture of the situation. This type of stuff happens at every university. It doesn't mean the majority of us feel that way or would act that way. It's always dumb to define a fan base by a select few, however I see it done on here quite often when it comes to the likes of Georgia Southern. Wasn't my cup of tea even as a young student at App State to yell at the opposing players, but saw it happen by others even before we had social media to mislead the masses.

There will be hundreds of videos this weekend at games of similar behavior, some true and most exaggerated. Time to move on, and just look at yesterday as nothing more than a win.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:08 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:57 pm
Gonzo wrote:
This “scandal” says more about confirmation bias and the way we share information in the 21st century without vetting it than it does our students. Even in this thread I can tell many of you haven’t seen the video.

There isn’t a middle finger, no “kill yourself,” no talk of their mothers. Just a faint F bomb.

Now here’s the source: a salty Marshall fan who channeled her butt-hurt into a moral high ground.

If you guys have Instagram I invite you to watch her Instagram story (it will expire in 24 hours). She was having a great time before her team lost. https://www.instagram.com/stories/emiln ... =copy_link

Here’s what she tweeted mid-forth quarter. Getting saltier and saltier as the game went on.

I understand our fans’ inclination to rebuke any and all purported shitty App fan behavior, but right now all we’re doing is contributing to a hoax.
I mean, you shared a video that is far away from the bulk of the crowd lined up along the wall. I'm not contributing to the hoax, but you're also not providing a full picture of the situation. This type of stuff happens at every university. It doesn't mean the majority of us feel that way or would act that way. It's always dumb to define a fan base by a select few, however I see it done on here quite often when it comes to the likes of Georgia Southern. Wasn't my cup of tea even as a young student at App State to yell at the opposing players, but saw it happen by others even before we had social media to mislead the masses.

There will be hundreds of videos this weekend at games of similar behavior, some true and most exaggerated. Time to move on, and just look at yesterday as nothing more than a win.
I agree that this is way overblown and nothing out of the ordinary for most football games. However, I DO think something should be done to stop behavior like this from escalating. Folks on Twitter are calling for the kids to be expelled from the school and banned from games. That’s way too extreme. However, a protective tarp and maybe an extra cop over in that area would fix this problem and it won’t be anything to worry about again.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:22 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 ,

I want to say that none of us should condone some of the behavior that our fans did and I won't make excuses for them. We had fans and others who mentioned that where the visitors would enter and leave the field would be a problem.

With that said, I'm glad you said what you said. I know the route to the pressbox and all. She went looking for this to try and make us look bad. Had Marshall won I doubt she posts any of it but she is a big Marshall fan and was very clearly butt-hurt. She has written an article about it but I find it funny how it is one of the first mentions in the article.

When someone said to her on Twitter that this happens everywhere she then said it does not and someone defended her saying that she would know but she admitted to not seeing a Marshall player spit at our fans. One journalist and one fan does not see everything that happens at a game. I have seen stuff at Georgia Southern, Marshall, etc at tailgates, student sections, and even sections with regular fans that make the video she posted look very tame. I have been to SC vs Clemson and seen awful stuff. I have seen UNC, ECU, and many others have stuff happen. Everyone has a hand full of awful fans and students who do this type of stuff. When she said it does not happen everywhere she clearly does not look and is just one person so she can't see it all.

You are 100% right in what you said and I would suggest that App State never credential her again because she is a Marshall fan who was looking for this stuff. I have a question for her. Why was she there to begin with instead of going to the post-game press conference to get quotes? She went out of her way to find this stuff. She is simply a butt-hurt fan who should have told our officials about it and warned them that the area could have that type of stuff anyway.

I am not making excuses for what that small group did and I hope this is the wake up call to change that but this "reporter" had an agenda to make us look bad because we beat her team. She wanted attention on herself and to put us down because we beat her team. She was not a professional and that needs to be brought up. She wanted to pretend she was impartial but she was not.

Just ignore her and move on. I'm sure Gillin and others will fix the setup so we don't see situations where this can easily happen again. I think a tarp and maybe 1-2 cops would stop this from happening. I don't think the students should be banned for life. People seem to want to take extremes one way or the other. It is funny how everyone wants someone to be banned for one mistake because I'm sure they have made mistakes in their lives as well. Should we ban them for life? By no means.

With that said, that was a big win and we all need to move on from this and nobody should reply and keep this going on social media. Our team had me scared at times and I wish we had opened things up a little more in the third but once we made the big plays I felt Ponce called it well in the 4th. There were times where Marshall just stacked the box because they knew the run was coming but he managed the clock and play calling so well at the end. I do hope that Marshall wins C-USA and believe they can because they are indeed talented. We have some mistakes to fix but we can definitely do it and hopefully get a little more healthy. We are Georgia State's Super Bowl and I know Elliott wants to get his first win over our program. Can't let that happen!

Hopefully we get some good news here shortly about a DL commit for the 2023 class.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:25 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:08 pm
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:57 pm
Gonzo wrote:

I agree that this is way overblown and nothing out of the ordinary for most football games. However, I DO think something should be done to stop behavior like this from escalating. Folks on Twitter are calling for the kids to be expelled from the school and banned from games. That’s way too extreme. However, a protective tarp and maybe an extra cop over in that area would fix this problem and it won’t be anything to worry about again.
I'm with you on that. Time to move on and people need to stop commenting to that Marshall fan. We beat our rival on national TV and showed a lot of heart so I am very happy today!

Now, we got Georgia State. Can't let Elliott get his first win against his Alma Mater. I hope we have a large fan contingent down in Atlanta for this one!
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:31 pm

We won, on national tv, on The Mothership. The Rock was packed, loud, and engaged. Im happy.
Last edited by appstate77 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:02 pm

appst89 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:04 am
It's a bad look, to be sure, but Marshall folks shouldn't act so incredulous. The last time I was in Huntington (1995), App won 10-3 denying Marshall the SoCon championship. Just before the game was over, the Huntington PD came to the App contingent and told us to zip our coats, remove our hats, and cover anything that would identify us as App fans and walk as quietly as we could to our cars. They said there weren't enough of them to escort all of us. The Marshall fans were threatening to beat us up, kill us, follow us back to our hotels, etc.

Not every fan is like that, but there are fans like that everywhere.
I was there at that game. I remember that so vividly.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:46 pm

A football simpleton’s thoughts:

1. This defense can win us the championship. Red Zone D is top notch this year, even getting the kicker to shank a 32yd field goal.

2. Brice overthrew in pressure a few times and only had 1 INT. Against a good defense, not bad. He’s a solid leader, so it can only get better.

3. Holy cow Noel. I’ve said it before, but the style differences between our RBs will make our run game difficult to defend against.

4. This game was tougher than Miami. Louisiana and Coastal may be just as tough, but we’ll have to see how their seasons go.

5. Go App!

AppStateFan17

Unread post by AppStateFan17 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:53 pm

AppStateFan17 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:13 pm
Besides the failed 2-point conversion against Miami and although a small sample size, I thought we looked much better and more comfortable under center last night. I like the strategy in goal line situations moving forward, something we haven't seen much of in years past. Short yardage conversions and goal line situations under center with Peoples, if executed correctly, is a MAJOR bonus.
Also, huge shoutout to Caleb Spurlin at FB. Maybe a smaller D-end, but good size for a fullback

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:02 pm

Good Defense- Marsha is 184th in the nation in defense....I guess "good" is in the eyes of the beholder
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:09 pm

HighPointApp wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:02 pm
appst89 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:04 am
It's a bad look, to be sure, but Marshall folks shouldn't act so incredulous. The last time I was in Huntington (1995), App won 10-3 denying Marshall the SoCon championship. Just before the game was over, the Huntington PD came to the App contingent and told us to zip our coats, remove our hats, and cover anything that would identify us as App fans and walk as quietly as we could to our cars. They said there weren't enough of them to escort all of us. The Marshall fans were threatening to beat us up, kill us, follow us back to our hotels, etc.

Not every fan is like that, but there are fans like that everywhere.
I was there at that game. I remember that so vividly.
I was always incognito with my gear at GSU and Marshall until I got to my seats because of their fans. I don't remember being told that by a cop but I could see it because they certainly had students who were awful. I have friends who went to Marshall and are just as embarrassed by some of their people that our people are of what happened last night.

As said before, the woman who posted the videos if a Marshall fan who was hanging out where a working media member should not have been at that moment. She was definitely looking for something to try and make us look bad. The admin just needs to put a cop or tarp to fix that situation and we all should move on. We really don't need to let her get what she wants out of this and that is allow a butt-hurt Marshall fan ruin this win. This was a big win for us and N O T H I N G is what they mean to me! Wooo! On to Georgia State!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:06 pm

FYI if kickers don’t get the ball thru the end zone there are 10 mean special team players that are supposed to get the returner. I dont blame the kicker ever for a big return

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”