Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Students acting the fool

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Students acting the fool

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:58 pm

yosef95 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:50 pm
Here is the summation. These kids were aholes. We've all been aholes at some point. They should be exposed and punished so this ends. This reporter obviously has never been to any kind of public or sporting event. I've been at 1000 and heard way worse. Snowflake
You are right about the kids but I will say she has been to a bunch of games before. She was either lying because she is a Marshall fan or she has stayed where the media are suppose to be and gotten to games so early that she has not seen as much as most here have. She is definitely lying or just not been to a ton of stadiums if she thinks what she saw at App was rare. In fact, I have seen way worse than what those kids did. I don't condone it and don't want to see it at App but I have seen worse at Marshall and Georgia Southern.

asumba95

Unread post by asumba95 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:10 pm

social media and cancel culture are cancers on our society.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:08 pm

asumba95 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:10 pm
social media and cancel culture are cancers on our society.
I agree, but dumba$$ drunks aren’t far behind.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:18 am

I’m going to throw this out as a theory- it’s meant to be an explanation not an excuse. My wife is an administrator at what has typically been our highest performing high school in our area. They have always had their share of student issues but overall still probably the top school. That being said so far this year the discipline issues have been excessive. According to my wife they have had more fights already this year than in any single prior year in total. Nearly every night she tells me of kids who have been sent to the administration office who cuss out teachers and administrators without batting an eye. She had one stellar young man who simply walked out on her while being disciplined. Again, they have never been immune to issues but not nearly at this rate.

Here is where my observations and theory kicks in. These kids spent 1.5 or more years “learning “ either laying in bed or did nothing at all most of which with no social interaction. Now many have been thrust back into a school or social situation and are expected to be “normal” again. I want to stress that I don’t believe this is an excuse for poor behavior but more of a psychological explanation. Many of these kids have been left at home daily for hours on end to basically fend for themselves (school and other daily aspects). While many of them were able to socialize with friends to some degree most have lived in isolation.
This is not meant to be a trigger for another useless political debate but simply as a possible explanation for the increase in bad behavior among our youth. We always had some kids who boldly push the envelope with authority but I can’t recall “back in my day” having such a number of teens who have zero fear of School authoritative figures.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:00 am

The behavior alone is unacceptable. Considering it was Marshall, I’ll give them a pass. Same if it had happened at Georgia Southern and JMU. It’s hard to blame the kids for being unable to control their hate at such a young age against such hatable programs.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:02 am

It seems to run deeper than this past year and a half. It certainly plays a part, but in my opinion, it comes down to the lack of accountability for ones actions. Case in point, look at the sides being taken on this issue. You have two players in this incident, drunk students and someone that exposed their behavior. There is a good bit of people on this board that don’t have a problem with the behavior because everyone does it. Many of those people find it absurd that they should be punished in some way and instead of acknowledging the wrong, would rather tear down the person reporting it. So, to me, it’s a lack of accountability.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:20 am

Taunting the opposing team is not 'new' behavior. Social media is the only thing new to this situation. it's a yawner IMO. Bad student, now move on.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:20 am

We are keeping this alive. “Let it go”

Overcashed

Unread post by Overcashed » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:09 am

Late to this and it's seemingly faded to the back of media attention, but I just want to add this thought.

Is the "reporter's" social media handle not a reference to Eminem? The guy that made saying offensive things the highlight of his early career? Her outrage at someone flipping someone off and yelling "you suck" while idolizing someone like Eminem sure is something...

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:17 am

Overcashed wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:09 am
Late to this and it's seemingly faded to the back of media attention, but I just want to add this thought.

Is the "reporter's" social media handle not a reference to Eminem? The guy that made saying offensive things the highlight of his early career? Her outrage at someone flipping someone off and yelling "you suck" while idolizing someone like Eminem sure is something...
:lol:

Ok NOW we can shut the thread down

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:05 am

BigDaddy - I totally agree with you about the so many kids being in a totally unprecedented environment of the last almost 2 years - My wife and I both spent years in education, yes a totally different time but certainly gives us a basis of understanding of school environments - For months we talked about how hard it was going to be for the students and the teachers when they were all put back into the classroom. Our granddaughter is a 3rd grader and she has told us about misbehaving kids and unruly behavior in just the first couple of months of this school year - She is in what we consider a very good school but she has told us of 3rd grade students in fights - cussing each other and totally disrespecting the teacher - It's going to be hard for a couple of years I do believe --- And for accountability -
No accountability because if the #1 criminal skates free that is a terrible precedent
Last edited by WVAPPeer on Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:39 am

I think the kid flipping off the marshall player was the reporters son. clearly a plant.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:13 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:39 am
I think the kid flipping off the marshall player was the reporters son. clearly a plant.
If that turns out to be the case then I still think we need to put a cop there to prevent any mess like that from ever happening again but I would not be completely shocked. I have seen no evidence either way but no matter what this "reporter" should never be credentialed at App State ever again. To me her lack of professionalism and being where she is suppose to be is reason enough for revoking future credential consideration.

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:09 pm

We need more stadium staff & police officers ensuring our students/fans are following protocols & not like a bunch of Georgia Southern idiots. At the Elon game, drunk students were taking selfies in front of sitting fans & not following the staff’s orders. Older fans were pissed big time.

And I agree; these new freshmen are acting like spoiled crybabies b/c of 2020 school shutdowns via COVID-19. And it ain’t gonna improve unless Sheri does something right for once. We need Peacock!!

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:55 pm

Proverbs 13:24 identifies the problem.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:44 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:02 am
It seems to run deeper than this past year and a half. It certainly plays a part, but in my opinion, it comes down to the lack of accountability for ones actions. Case in point, look at the sides being taken on this issue. You have two players in this incident, drunk students and someone that exposed their behavior. There is a good bit of people on this board that don’t have a problem with the behavior because everyone does it. Many of those people find it absurd that they should be punished in some way and instead of acknowledging the wrong, would rather tear down the person reporting it. So, to me, it’s a lack of accountability.
It does pain me to see that some are fine with anything said to the opposing team. Hopefully we can prevent that from happening again and I would say that if I saw it regardless of the "reporter".

My issue with this "reporter" is that she hung around with Marshall people as a fan and used the access that a press pass gave her to be unprofessional. She was not in a seat or headed to press conference when that video was done like she was suppose to be. There are strict rules in press boxes that you can't cheer for a team or yell and instead of being where she should be she was acting like a fan with a press pass. She should not be credentialed again at App State. Running her name through the mud personally is out of bounds but pointing out her lack of professionalism and the fact she was not where she should have been is fair game. Next time our admin needs to tell her to buy a general admission ticket like fans do.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”