Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Students acting the fool

Yosef84

Re: Students acting the fool

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:28 am

I've said since the announcement was made that the decision to have opposing teams use the West side facility, having to cross the concourse and down by the main part of the App fan base / student section was just poorly thought out. While it's true that name calling and such is not the end of the world, it's still not a good look. Comparing this situation to other game situations isn't really accurate because I'm not aware of another facility that is set up this way.

We are committed to this setup for now, so App needs to figure out a way to make it work. Raising the walls might be possible for at least part of the way. Some sort of tarp covering, or simply having security prevent that kind of access (fans leaning against the wall). Just deal with it and let's move it. Unless there is something I haven't seen yet, I don't think this rises to an "official apology from the university" but that's just me.

BambooRdApp
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:36 am

Having visiting dress in old home locker rooms is right thing to do. The visiting team coming down from the Quinn looks high school-ish.
All you need to do is put up temporary barrier when entering and leaving the field and a few cops...Issue solved....
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:51 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:25 am
I’m sure they thought they were having a good time and being funny. If they are students, then the administration has an opportunity to make a statement and let people know that this will not be tolerated and any further actions will have consequences.
You really want some 18-19 year old kid to get expelled or face some half-baked academic tribunal for giving the finger or saying the F-word during a football game? Jesus Christ this isn’t BYU.

The sanctimony is out of control. If I roll my eyes any harder they’ll fly from my sockets.

Hey, by the way, spitting at or on someone is a Class 2 misdemeanor in North Carolina. Yelling a bad word is protected speech.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:54 am

ah59396 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:12 pm
scatman77 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:49 pm
ah59396 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:40 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:32 pm
These students need to act better, and they should be embarrassed, but if it was no more than words, fix it and move on.
Here here. Outside of this message board, it’s already forgotten about. Stick an officer there or put a roof on it and we are all set.

I’m sure some other fanbase will do something dumb tomorrow. There’s a full slate of games.
Upon looking at my thread title I now see that it should have been "Fans acting the fool." I sincerely have no idea that it was all students. Also apparently a journalist associated with the Herd was also somehow involved. I shouldn't have convicted students, but I still stand by my opinion that this behavior is unacceptable and those spitting, throwing things should be dealt with.
I don’t condone the behavior. And I’m probably being a little harsh on you, apologies. But I’m also not interested in perma-banning students for swearing. I’ve seen people go as far as to say they should be expelled. I think that’s nuts.

Those yahoos probably woke up this morning and nearly shit a brick when they saw they were all over the internet. a panic filled day for them I’m sure.

Now if anyone spit, they should be arrested because it’s assault, and gross.

The problem was letting students be over there unattended in the first place. I’m sure we will see some quick changes and all will be well in Mountaineer land.
Understood....no harm no foul. I agree the words while uncalled for are not grounds for banning. Spitting on someone is because as you said it's assault. Add to the mix the current covid issue and now it's at a whole new level.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:18 am

Gonzo wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:51 am
AppSt94 wrote:
I’m sure they thought they were having a good time and being funny. If they are students, then the administration has an opportunity to make a statement and let people know that this will not be tolerated and any further actions will have consequences.
You really want some 18-19 year old kid to get expelled or face some half-baked academic tribunal for giving the finger or saying the F-word during a football game? Jesus Christ this isn’t BYU.

The sanctimony is out of control. If I roll my eyes any harder they’ll fly from my sockets.

Hey, by the way, spitting at or on someone is a Class 2 misdemeanor in North Carolina. Yelling a bad word is protected speech.
Didn’t say expelled. However, there is a Student Code of Conduct that we all signed in school. I agree with everything that you are saying about the “reporter’s” words aren’t corroborated by the video. However, we live in a world where none of that matters anymore in the world of public opinion. And if the school is going to parade around supporting inclusivity and diversity and creating a safe space, then doing or saying nothing is hypocritical. This is an opportunity to practice what you preach.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:23 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:18 am
Gonzo wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Didn’t say expelled. However, there is a Student Code of Conduct that we all signed in school. I agree with everything that you are saying about the “reporter’s” words aren’t corroborated by the video. However, we live in a world where none of that matters anymore in the world of public opinion. And if the school is going to parade around supporting inclusivity and diversity and creating a safe space, then doing or saying nothing is hypocritical. This is an opportunity to practice what you preach.
Creating an environment where people of color and marginalized groups feel comfortable enough to enroll at Appalachian is not the same thing as crucifying some kid for heckling opposing football players.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:28 am

Now the race card has made an appearance, jump the shark, time to shut this thread down…

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:43 am

Yeah I sure wish he hadn’t played it. Piss poor comparison.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:43 am

Gonzo wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:23 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Creating an environment where people of color and marginalized groups feel comfortable enough to enroll at Appalachian is not the same thing as crucifying some kid for heckling opposing football players.
Expell? Crucify? Why do you feel the need to sensationalize your POV by going to the extreme? Oh that’s right, occupational hazard. I’m not condemning the kids. But I’m not going to excuse, or condone the behavior either. Was it wrong? Yes. But this is a black eye for the University on a night that should have been a celebration. Is it an opportunity to correct an obvious issue? Yes. I will leave it up to them to figure it out.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:46 am

You want the students in the video to be charged and found responsible for violating the student code of conduct. Please tell me what you think happens to a student who is found responsible for that.

Totally unreasonable. They won’t be in such a tribunal because the administration is more measured than some sanctimonious old man on a message board.

Please, keep the lawyer tropes coming though. It’s a nice touch.
Last edited by Gonzo on Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:47 am

If someone used the N-word then that is different, if not, the "students" should be called out and some type of minor discipline (don't want this to continue to happen) -

Put a hood over the walkway and get something like the hockey teams use coming out - some type of retractable tunnel across the concourse -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:51 am

Gonzo wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:46 am
You want the students in the video to be charged and found responsible for violating the student code of conduct. Please tell me what you think happens to a student who is found responsible for that.

Totally unreasonable. They won’t be in such a tribunal because the administration is more measured than some sanctimonious old man on a message board.

Please, keep the lawyer tropes coming though. It’s a nice touch.
Have them pick up some trash, talk to them. Holy hell man! No one wants them paddeled.Just teach from a teachable moment. Saying nothing says that it’s OK.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:09 am

Gonzo wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

That isn't totally true. Intent comes in to play with speech.

https://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegislatio ... 288.4.html

§ 14-288.4. Disorderly conduct.

(a) Disorderly conduct is a public disturbance intentionally caused by any person who does any of the following:
(2) Makes or uses any utterance, gesture, display or abusive language which is intended and plainly likely to provoke violent retaliation and thereby cause a breach of the peace.

For the "but but but they were drunk" statements.

https://www.ncleg.gov/EnactedLegislatio ... 14-444.pdf

§ 14-444. Intoxicated and disruptive in public.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person in a public place to be intoxicated and disruptive
in any of the following ways:
(4) Cursing or shouting at or otherwise rudely insulting others

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:57 am

appdaze wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:09 am
Gonzo wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

That isn't totally true. Intent comes in to play with speech.

https://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegislatio ... 288.4.html

§ 14-288.4. Disorderly conduct.

(a) Disorderly conduct is a public disturbance intentionally caused by any person who does any of the following:
(2) Makes or uses any utterance, gesture, display or abusive language which is intended and plainly likely to provoke violent retaliation and thereby cause a breach of the peace.

For the "but but but they were drunk" statements.

https://www.ncleg.gov/EnactedLegislatio ... 14-444.pdf

§ 14-444. Intoxicated and disruptive in public.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person in a public place to be intoxicated and disruptive
in any of the following ways:
(4) Cursing or shouting at or otherwise rudely insulting others
Good catch, but I don't think they'd have much.

The fourth element of disorderly conduct (in the crimes book) is "that is intended to, and is plainly likely to, provoke violent retaliation and thereby cause a breach of the peace."

Football players don't run into the stands and attack people heckling them.

The jury instruction is in a different order and mirrors this:

https://www.sog.unc.edu/sites/www.sog.u ... 36A.31.pdf

There's also the requirement that the statement be made in a way that is "beyond what would normally be tolerated in that place at that time." It's been beaten to death that middle fingers and F words are extremely common at football games.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:11 am

To all: I'm truly apologetic for even starting this thread. We're at each other throats over bad behavior. I get that the language is often used. I get that the finger salute is used. It happens. The spitting and throwing things is unacceptable. Now this whole thing is exploding exponentially on ESPN, FoxNews, "Cupcake" Herbstreit has offered his expertise, and even MSN is kicking us. I agree with a previous poster, admins: it's time this thing dies on the vine.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:53 pm

ASU-FTW wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:47 pm
This will blow over in a couple days and nobody will remember it.
Yes! If we let it.

This happens at stadiums across the country every Saturday, etc. In many stadiums the visiting team comes into contact with home team fans. When I was a manager we had things thrown at us and heard all the vulgar insults when we played at, you guessed it, Marshall. Visiting team had to run up the ramp past the student section to get to the locker room, not sure if it's still the same there. If I were a coach the orders to my players would be, win or lose, keep your head down, DON'T ENGAGE, and get your ass in the locker room.
WE ARE YOSEF!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:24 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I don't think the kids should be expelled and their lives should not be ruined forever but I would have no issue if they were banned from a couple home games or asked to apologize to the players. What they did could have been prevented and should not ever happen.

People need to also look at the "reporter". She was suppose to be working media and instead this Marshall supporter went looking for this stuff. A reporter is suppose to show the full story and she did not. She lied about the words heard on the video, failed to show the Marshall player spitting at our fans, and she was not where working media are suppose to be. She just did this for clicks/followers on social media so I hope App denies her credentials to any future events.

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:29 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:24 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I don't think the kids should be expelled and their lives should not be ruined forever but I would have no issue if they were banned from a couple home games or asked to apologize to the players. What they did could have been prevented and should not ever happen.

People need to also look at the "reporter". She was suppose to be working media and instead this Marshall supporter went looking for this stuff. A reporter is suppose to show the full story and she did not. She lied about the words heard on the video, failed to show the Marshall player spitting at our fans, and she was not where working media are suppose to be. She just did this for clicks/followers on social media so I hope App denies her credentials to any future events.
Agreed. The reporter’s job (her name is emily van buskirk, a lame SB Nation journalist) is to attend games, post tweets & write articles, that’s it. We never asked for your personal opinion Ms. BUTTkirk. If you are going to start recording college football fan behavior & post it on the web, you might as well do it at every single game you attend to from now on.

I agree our dumb fan behavior was totally out of whack & unacceptable. But I have seen much worse fan behavior before *cough* Georgia Southern & Western Carolina *cough*

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:05 pm

She's eating up the outrage on twitter. Got exactly what she was hoping to get by posting that, then acting as if she's taking some moral high ground with no agenda. I would say she couldn't show her butt anymore than this but then I saw her Instagram where she literally shows her butt.....I'm not going to condone the behavior of the idiots, but I'm also not going to encourage her TMZ style reporting. I truly hope DG covers the tunnel and is also more careful about who is allowed credentials and puts in measures to keep the press where the press should be.

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:51 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:05 pm
She's eating up the outrage on twitter. Got exactly what she was hoping to get by posting that, then acting as if she's taking some moral high ground with no agenda. I would say she couldn't show her butt anymore than this but then I saw her Instagram where she literally shows her butt.....I'm not going to condone the behavior of the idiots, but I'm also not going to encourage her TMZ style reporting. I truly hope DG covers the tunnel and is also more careful about who is allowed credentials and puts in measures to keep the press where the press should be.
I looked her up as well. Half of her pics are nothing but boobs & butt. And she thought we were “disgusting”?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”