Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App and CCU Mention in Dan Wolken Article on Realignment

Ramblinredwolf
School: Arkansas State

App and CCU Mention in Dan Wolken Article on Realignment

Unread post by Ramblinredwolf » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:57 am

https://sports.yahoo.com/top-bottom-con ... 49648.html

"In the broader picture, realignment gravity is pulling schools with big football ambitions together while the rest are more interested in regional-based competition. There’s concern that some smaller leagues with hybrids of football and non-football members might end up separating.

“Some of these presidents and ADs and trustees have delusion of grandeur thinking, ‘We could be the next Appalachian State or Coastal Carolina,' ” said one administrator in a league that has lost multiple members recently. “Do I think it’s fool’s gold? Probably. But there’s going to be a lot more movement between now and the end of the calendar year.”

kornegaylw
School: Appalachian State

Re: App and CCU Mention in Dan Wolken Article on Realignment

Unread post by kornegaylw » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:54 am

Ramblinredwolf wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:57 am
https://sports.yahoo.com/top-bottom-con ... 49648.html

"In the broader picture, realignment gravity is pulling schools with big football ambitions together while the rest are more interested in regional-based competition. There’s concern that some smaller leagues with hybrids of football and non-football members might end up separating.

“Some of these presidents and ADs and trustees have delusion of grandeur thinking, ‘We could be the next Appalachian State or Coastal Carolina,' ” said one administrator in a league that has lost multiple members recently. “Do I think it’s fool’s gold? Probably. But there’s going to be a lot more movement between now and the end of the calendar year.”
Tells you just how special a thing we have in Boone.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:38 pm

I find it offensive and ridiculous that after 1 good season under the most wild circumstances, Coastal is being compared to App. App has had sustained success on multiple levels for nearly 2 decades and is constantly in the top as far as W-L records as Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, Oklahoma etc, and we are being viewed as on the same plane as coastal

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:58 pm

The Rock wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:38 pm
I find it offensive and ridiculous that after 1 good season under the most wild circumstances, Coastal is being compared to App. App has had sustained success on multiple levels for nearly 2 decades and is constantly in the top as far as W-L records as Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, Oklahoma etc, and we are being viewed as on the same plane as coastal
That's because when we left the FCS we joined the new FCS.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:42 pm

Coastal is a “now” thing. Can they sustain it? We will, we have.

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:17 am

Dan Wolken is a clown.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:28 am

The Rock wrote:
Media outlets gets more attention by promoting the latest upstart…the nobody who just rose to the occasion….makes for a good story and more views/reads/clicks/swipes to help ratings. That’s the nature of the beast unfortunately.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:23 pm

I don't know why anyone is surprised. I get that is is annoying that they are somehow being considered on our level, but they are conference mates, and they did beat us and win the conference championship. Fact is that the media has always loved a Cinderella story. They will hype it until it's not a story and then it will quickly be forgotten in favor of the next flash in the pan. Coastal will have to continue earning their spot in the spotlight.

I have to think that Boise State and UCF might have had similar thoughts about App back when we first made noise. Yes, we had a longer, richer tradition but for FBS newbies to expect NY6 consideration? Just something to think about.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:18 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:23 pm
I don't know why anyone is surprised. I get that is is annoying that they are somehow being considered on our level, but they are conference mates, and they did beat us and win the conference championship. Fact is that the media has always loved a Cinderella story. They will hype it until it's not a story and then it will quickly be forgotten in favor of the next flash in the pan. Coastal will have to continue earning their spot in the spotlight.

I have to think that Boise State and UCF might have had similar thoughts about App back when we first made noise. Yes, we had a longer, richer tradition but for FBS newbies to expect NY6 consideration? Just something to think about.
They had a better W/L record that others in the conference. They did NOT win a championship. They faked COVID so they didn't have to play ULL again and jeopardize a NY6 bowl game (or so they thought)
There has never been a SBC championship played anywhere other than Boon

The Rock

Yosef84 wrote:

They had a better W/L record that others in the conference. They did NOT win a championship. They faked COVID so they didn't have to play ULL again and jeopardize a NY6 bowl game (or so they thought)
There has never been a SBC championship played anywhere other than Boon

The Rock

Yosef84 wrote:

There has never been a SBC championship played anywhere other than Boone

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:08 pm

The Rock wrote:
I find it offensive and ridiculous that after 1 good season under the most wild circumstances, Coastal is being compared to App. App has had sustained success on multiple levnnels for nearly 2 decades and is constantly in the top as far as W-L records as Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, Oklahoma etc, and we are being viewed as on the same plane as coastal
You young lions just kill me. :lol: No disrespect intended in any way! j/k App's consistent football success began during the mid-80s Sparky Woods era and Jerry Moore picked it up from there. Before that, Jim Brakefield accomplished the enormous task of moving us from NAIA to NCAA D-I and started us on the road to funding scholarships from private charitable donations (he was the founder of our Yosef Club) and improving our athletic facilities. Documented history makes it nearly five decades!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:08 pm

:o
Last edited by asu66 on Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:10 pm

The Rock wrote:
I agree with you to a point. First, I think Coastal is overrated and is certainly the media darlings. They also do not have the program that we have and have a long way to go to equal our success.

But, if you compare them to a Charlotte, an ODU, or many other programs: They certainly have put together a better model. First, they were successful and their program peaked at the FCS level. Then, they have achieved (albeit COVID-aided) multiple weeks of ranking and a big game exposure with BYU last year. Charlotte couldn't even use COVID to their advantage, going 2-6 and ODU cancelled their season.

So, first we did get the respect of being a program to shoot for (and in the author's eyes that target is unattainable for most). The sentence would be much more accurate if it read: "We could be the next Appalachian State, or even rise to the level of Coastal Carolina"

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:19 pm

The Rock wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:18 pm
Yosef84 wrote:

The irony in this is that missing out on the conference championship game also caused them to miss out their best chance to try and get a NY6 without depending on Cincinnati losing. Going into the CCG Coastal was 12 and Louisiana was 20. Beating them could've potentially vaulted them to #10, which is where Iowa State was and made it in as the lowest ranked at large team for NY6 spot.*

* UNC was ranked lower at 13 but had the ACC tie in that sends the ACC champ to the orange bowl or the next highest ranked ACC team if the ACC champ is in the playoffs
* Oregon was also ranked lower at 25 but had the PAC 12 autobid as conference champ which got them a Fiesta Bowl spot since the Rose was a playoff host

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:46 pm

The Rock wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:18 pm
Yosef84 wrote:

I stand corrected on the verbiage I chose, but the conference effectively awarded them the championship. I have serious doubts about the conditions of their Covid claims also, and I'm certainly not defending CCU. My point is simply that they had a Cinderella year. They did beat UL during the season, beat a solid BYU team, etc. The media always eats it up when a newcomer does this stuff. I'm not at all surprised that they got the coverage last year. Frankly, I'm a little surprised that it has carried over to this year given the extremely weak schedule they're playing. App is really the only serious obstacle they have...maybe GSU. The good part is that their obstacle is our opportunity. GO APPS!

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:53 am

we HAVE to beat them this year.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:26 am

Howard Street Hooligan wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:53 am
we HAVE to beat them this year.
That's all that matters.

Just win, the rest will take care of itself.

In an ideal world, App beats Louisiana and Coastal, and no one loses another game until Louisiana loses in the championship game in Boone.

Then you have Coastal 11-1, App 12-1, and Louisiana 10-3 at the end of the regular season. That would be three teams with 10 wins for the second year in a row.

If Cincinnati somehow makes it to the playoff, the NY6 spot is still up for grabs and as it stands now, a one loss App team and conference champion would be in a great position to take that spot with how the MWC is shaping up and Cincy not in the picture.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:43 am

The Rock wrote:
We were a media darling when we beat Michigan and honestly I take this hype for them as a huge compliment to us. They were able to get one win over us and the media gives this much respect. Without beating us and Louisiana this would not have happened for them.

Now, we do need to remind everyone why we were the talk of the town and handle the next two games. I don't expect either game to be a blowout for anyone, and I know Shawn Clark is not one to run up a score, but if we get the chance we need to put as many points and win by as big a margin as we can. I'll be happy to just win the next two but I will be completely satisfied if we can somehow make a statement in these two. I respect the talent both CCU and ULL have put on the field and thus I feel like winning both games really tells us where we are. Our team can control the narrative over the next two games. Let's go 1-0 on Tuesday first!

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:14 pm

asu66 wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:08 pm
The Rock wrote:
I find it offensive and ridiculous that after 1 good season under the most wild circumstances, Coastal is being compared to App. App has had sustained success on multiple levnnels for nearly 2 decades and is constantly in the top as far as W-L records as Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, Oklahoma etc, and we are being viewed as on the same plane as coastal
You young lions just kill me. :lol: No disrespect intended in any way! j/k App's consistent football success began during the mid-80s Sparky Woods era and Jerry Moore picked it up from there. Before that, Jim Brakefield accomplished the enormous task of moving us from NAIA to NCAA D-I and started us on the road to funding scholarships from private charitable donations (he was the founder of our Yosef Club) and improving our athletic facilities. Documented history makes it nearly five decades!
Thank you Chuck. I do smile at the idea of CCU being compared to App as far as football success is concerned. CCU got TV and media coverage going back to their baseball national championship. That gave them national recognition. The football wins over Kansas State (P5...a weak one but P5 nonetheless), then BYU and there you have the "media darlings." I give them credit for their successes and they have some fine athletes (McCall, Likely, etc) but their comments last winter that "SBC football runs through Conway" is insulting at any level as far as App is concerned. Compare our record during the exact same years that CCU has had football and you'll see that comment is found to be lacking.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”